Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455 ... 482  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Welterweight contender Yordenis Ugas - Spence has the same level of talent but he is much stronger and bigger.

WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman - I love Mikey Garcia, I love everything that he brings into the ring. I definitely think that, in his experience in moving up in weight he's never really fought a true welterweight and he doesn't really know what it means to compete with the upper echelon level at 147. I think he's going to run into a brick wall named Errol Spence Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Arum: Spence Overpowers Garcia, Who May Not Return To 135
By Radio Rahim

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum is fully backing IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence to retain his world title on Saturday night.

Spence will defend his welterweight title against four division champion Mikey Garcia at AT&T Stadium in Texas.

Garcia holds the WBC world title at the lightweight limit of 135-pounds. He's moving up by two weight divisions to challenge Spence for his belt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Arum, who used to promote Garcia for several years before they had a falling out, views Spence as being too big and too strong.

"I don't expect Mikey to beat Spence. I think he's a good fighter, Mikey is. But, you know, he doesn't have anything to hurt Spence with. Spence is too big for him and will overpower him," Arum told BoxingScene.com.

The fight Arum wants to make, more than anything, is a showdown between Garcia and WBA, WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko.

But, Arum doubts Garcia will be able to return to the lightweight division - win or lose on Saturday night.

Garcia has captured world titles at featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and junior welterweight.

For the contest with Spence, Garcia hooked up with Victor Conte of SNAC and bulked up with some added mass.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Garcia may drop down to 140, but Arum has some concern about his ability to fully drop back to 135.

"Mikey is a very, very good fighter and a fight with Lomachenko would be ideal," Arum said.

"However, once a guy goes up two divisions - it becomes very, very difficult physically for him to get down... back to 135. I'm not sure that he can do it. We would have to talk to Robert Garcia, his brother, who is an astute boxing guy. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but Lomachenko always wanted Mikey Garcia. The question is, will Garcia be able to make 135."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Angel Moreno: Don't Be Surprised When I Beat Charlie Edwards
Angel Moreno has vowed to follow in the footsteps of his compatriots Kiko Martinez and Gabriel Campillo by becoming Spain's next World Champion when he clashes with Charlie Edwards for the WBC Flyweight crown at London's Copper Box Arena on March 23, live on Sky Sports in the UK and DAZN in the US.

Spanish fighters have enjoyed recent success against Brits, with Bilbao's Kerman Lejarraga blitzing Bradley Skeete in two rounds to claim the European Welterweight title before stopping Frankie Gavin in four rounds, and Torrelavega's European Super-Welterweight champ Sergio Garcia outclassing Ted Cheeseman at The O2 last month.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Moreno, promoted by former Middleweight king Sergio Martinez, has only lost twice in a 23-fight career and has never been stopped. Hailing from Madrid, 'Golden Boy' has fought the majority of his career on home soil but insists he will not be intimidated by his former sparring partner's home crowd.

edwards-moreno (3)

"I am not going to London for a holiday," said Moreno. "This is the opportunity of a lifetime for me. We know each other very well having sparred on two occasions in the past. We've shared many rounds together and I think he knows that I will be too strong for him on the night. If his team thinks that this fight will be an easy defence for Charlie, they are very wrong.

"I will follow the way of Sergio Garcia and Kerman Lejarraga. I've taken a lot of inspiration from my stablemate's victory at The O2 last month and I'll make Spain proud again when I lift the green belt above my head. Spanish boxing is in a very healthy position at the moment and it will be an honour to become my country's next World Champion.

"I am not scared about the hostile atmosphere that will greet me in London. I have fought away from home in Ukraine and France, and I am a 36 years old man. I believe that my experience will show in the ring. I had plenty of notice for this fight and I've enjoyed the best and most productive training camp of my career. Do not be surprised when I beat Charlie."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Video: Errol Spence Ready Mikey Garcia, Plans To Do Damage
Unbeaten IBF Welterweight World Champion Errol Spence Jr. and undefeated four-division champion Mikey Garcia went face-to-face at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas Wednesday at the final press conference before they go toe-to-toe at the same venue this Saturday in a Premier Boxing Champions on FOX Sports Pay-Per-View event. (photos by Fox Sports, Stacey Verbeek, Cowboys).

Spence and Garcia shared their thoughts on Saturday's highly anticipated event and posed for photos for media in attendance ahead of this historic event.

Tickets for Saturday's event, which is promoted by Man Down Promotions and Garcia Promotions, in association with TGB Promotions and Ringstar Sports, are on sale now, and can be purchased at SeatGeek.com, the Official Ticketing Provider of AT&T Stadium.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:44 pm 
Heavyweight

https://www.boxingscene.com/video-errol ... ge--137071

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Roach: I'd Love To See Pacquiao Face Spence-Garcia Winner
Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach, who works with WBA "regular" welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, would love to see his boxer face the winner of this weekend's big showdown at 147-pounds.

Four division world champion Mikey Garcia is moving up by two weight divisions to challenge IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence, and the contest takes at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

A bout between Pacquiao and Garcia has been rumored for some time, but it never came off for various reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Roach is looking forward to the fight and respects Garcia, but believes Spence is way too much for him.

"This is a great battle between two top-10 pound-for-pound fighters,” said Roach to Premier Boxing Champions.

“Mikey is showing great courage in challenging Errol, but I think he may have taken on too much in moving up for this one. It's is the type of fight that creates intrigue for fans and that's good for boxing. I'm going with Errol Spence in this one. I think he has the size and power advantage. I'd love to see [Roach fighter] Manny Pacquiao fight the winner next. What a fight that will be!"

And another Hall of Fame trainer, James “Buddy” McGirt, who at one times was a top-tier fighter and a former world champions, agrees with Roach's view of the contest.

But, he does give Garcia points for his edge in experience and views him as the best fighter that Spence ever faced in his career to date.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm 
Heavyweight

“I do think that Garcia has his hands full with Errol,” said McGirt. “Garcia has a heck of a journey in front of him come fight night. But in all fairness, Garcia is more experienced than Errol. Errol is still green and rough around the edges. Garcia is by far the best fighter that Errol will face.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 pm 
Heavyweight

MIkey Garcia is a Winner Regardless of Result Against Spence
By Michael Rosenthal

Mikey Garcia has already won.

I would’ve advised him not to move up in weight to challenge IBF welterweight titleholder Errol Spence, just as his family members (including brother and trainer Robert Garcia) did. Spence’s combination of size and apparent ability would seem to be too much even for a proven star like Garcia to overcome.

The size difference is daunting. Garcia still holds a 135-pound title and has never fought at the welterweight limit of 147. On top of that, Spence is considered a big welterweight.

Garcia doesn’t care one iota about that or what anyone thinks, though. He wanted a challenge and he found one. And while some call him foolhardy, he has no doubt whatsoever that he will emerge with his perfect record (39-0, 30 knockouts) intact Saturday night at AT&T Stadium outside Dallas.

I think his bold move to challenge Spence and unwavering confidence in himself has resonated with his growing number of fans, who applaud his unconventional thinking and pluck. Many of them suspect he has bitten off more than he can chew but they admire him.

If he loses, he can say with legitimacy that he “dared to be great” – the war cry attached to him going into this fight – while some other elite fighters seem to do all they can to avoid such challenges. He will be celebrated even in defeat unless the fight turns out to be ugly in some way.

Indeed, the only way for this to become truly regrettable is if Garcia suffers a particularly gruesome beating or is seriously injured.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Kell Brook’s challenge of Gennady Golovkin in 2016 comes to mind. Brook moved from 147 to 160 for that fight, in which he was stopped in the fifth round and suffered a broken right eye socket. Brook’s subsequent fight? Spence, a fellow welterweight who some say punches like a middleweight, stopped the Briton in the 11th round and broke his LEFT eye socket.

mikey-garcia (5)_7

Garcia isn’t Brook, though. And he isn’t Amir Khan, who moved from welterweight to a catch weight of 155 to face Canelo Alvarez the same year and suffered a predictable one-punch knockout. Garcia is better than Brook and Khan – he’s on everyone’s pound-for-pound list – and certainly more resilient.

Plus, Spence isn’t as advanced as Golovkin or Alvarez, two strong, skillful veterans who had proven their mettle over a long period time.

That’s why almost no one gave Brook or Khan a chance to win those mismatches, which isn’t the case with Garcia in his fight on Saturday. Spence is around a 3½-1 favorite, which is substantial, but more and more people seem to believe the underdog will be competitive or even pull off a surprise.

I predict Spence will win, perhaps by knockout, but I believe Garcia is too talented and too experienced to go down without giving Spence some problems.
If Garcia beats Spence? He becomes a legend. And that concept is not far-fetched.

Spence appears to have all the tools to become a superstar – ability (he was a U.S. Olympian in 2012), speed, athleticism, power, all of it. That’s why so many are so high on the 29-year-old Texan.

The only problem is that he hasn’t proven himself to the degree of many elite fighters. Brook is the best fighter he has faced and the Briton was coming off that bad beating against Triple-G, after which he had to drop back down two weight classes. And while knockout victim Lamont Peterson is well known, he also was well beyond his peak when he faced Spence.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence’s resume is thin after that, which means we really can’t be certain about how good he is. He seems to be special but we won’t know for sure until he proves it against two or three more elite opponents.

Spence is a test for Garcia but the opposite also is true. Garcia arguably already has a Hall of Fame resume, with major titles in four divisions and victories over Orlando Salido, Juan Manuel Lopez, Roman Martinez, Adrien Broner, Robert Easter Jr. and several other big-name opponents.

In other words, we know what Garcia can do. And he can do a lot. No one in the sport has tighter technique than the Southern Californian, who has outclassed one capable opponent after another for years. And while he isn’t a knockout artist at higher weights, he has heavy hands that wear down the opposition.

Is it possible we’re putting too much focus on the size difference? I think so. Garcia might simply be more talented than Spence, which could more than compensate for whatever physical advantages Spence might have.

That’s obviously what Garcia is thinking: He’s too good for anyone, including this big, formidable opponent.

I hate the idea of Garcia losing his perfect record in a fight he arguably shouldn’t have taken. At the same time, I’ve railed for years against the overemphasis on maintaining zeros in the loss column. Almost all of the greatest fighters in history have lost – Robinson, Ali, Louis, Leonard, Duran. The list goes on forever. The unbeaten Floyd Mayweather might’ve been remembered more fondly had his record been imperfect, which would’ve been an indication that he had taken more risks in his career.

Fans are inspired by risks, both in choosing opponents and in the ring. That’s why their inspired by Mikey Garcia.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence: I'd Want Pacquiao Next, To Stop Him Would Be Big
A few days ago, Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach, who works with WBA "regular" welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, made it known that he would love to see his boxer face the winner of this weekend's big showdown at 147-pounds.

Four division world champion Mikey Garcia is moving up by two weight divisions to challenge IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence, and the contest takes at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"This is a great battle between two top-10 pound-for-pound fighters,” said Roach to Premier Boxing Champions. “Mikey is showing great courage in challenging Errol, but I think he may have taken on too much in moving up for this one. It's is the type of fight that creates intrigue for fans and that's good for boxing. I'm going with Errol Spence in this one. I think he has the size and power advantage. I'd love to see [Roach fighter] Manny Pacquiao fight the winner next. What a fight that will be!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455 ... 482  Next