Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 am 
Heavyweight

Arum wants Lomachenko vs. Luke Campbell for WBC belt
Boxing News Boxing News
4 hours ago

By Mike Smith: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is already planning to match WBA/WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko against #1 WBC Luke Campbell (20-2, 16 KOs) next in a fight in England if WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia decides to vacate his title rather than defend it against the British fighter or face Loma in a unification.

Arum wants Lomachenko to add Mikey’s scalp to his collection, and take his WBC belt from him at the same time. The Top Rank promoter says there is no such thing of bad blood between him and Mikey, who used to fight for his Top Rank stable, as the money that can be made is the important thing.

Mikey, 31, hasn’t revealed what his plans are when it comes to his World Boxing Council lightweight title, but it’s believed he’s going to give it up rather than come back down to face his WBC mandatory Campbell. Mikey’s last fight was at welterweight against IBF champion Errol Spence last March. While there’s been a massive amount of speculation from boxing fans in trying to guess what Mikey’s next move will be, no one knows for sure what he’ll be doing. Arum is planning on trying to setup a unification fight between Lomachenko and Campbell, 31, possibly in England if the WBC belt is vacated or stripped from Mikey.

“You can’t do it in August in England, because everyone is going on vacation,” Arum said about a Lomachenko vs. Luke Campbell fight in England. “Yes [Campbell to be Lomachenko’s next fight], or if Mikey doesn’t vacate, I’d like [Loma] to fight Mikey. F*** bad blood [with Top Rank]. It’s the Benjamins for Christ’s sake. I don’t have to love the guy and indeed I will take a lot of joy in Loma beating the s*** out of him.”

It sounds like Arum is getting a little carried away. Lomachenko couldn’t do what Errol Spence Jr. did to Mikey in out-boxing him over 12 rounds, and making him look bad. If anything, Lomachenko might be able to win a close 12 round decision over Mikey, but it wouldn’t be a lopsided affair like we saw with Spence-Garcia. Lomachenko might get knocked down two or three times by Mikey along the way. Jorge Linares put Lomachenko down, and he’s not a big puncher. Lomachenko could lose to Mikey if he gets caught by one of his shots. Mikey was hitting the much bigger Spence with powerful pot shots, but he didn’t quite have enough size and strength for his punches to have an effect on him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:04 am 
Heavyweight

It’s good that Arum isn’t vindictive at this point, because then he’ll never get Mikey to agree to fight Lomachenko. Mikey is likely seeing it a dollars and cents thing too. He can make more money fighting at 140 and 147 than he can in staying at lightweight, and languishing in that weight division with the lack of big name opponents. There’s only two money fights there for Mikey at lightweight, and one of them is about to disappear once Teofimo Lopez moves up to light welterweight.

“It will be a very historical fight because it will be two Olympic [gold medallists]. I love the UK fans, I love UK boxing people, they understand boxing. So I want to come to the UK and fight with Luke Campbell,” Lomachenko said.

Lomachenko wants to make a name for himself in the UK by fighting Campbell. That would be an interesting fight for the boxing fans.

Campbell has never had a big fight during his six-year pro career. This would give him a chance to be involved in a big fight. Although Campbell fought Jorge Linares in September 2017 in losing a 12 round split decision, that wasn’t a big fight. It was obviously an important one for Campbell due to Linares having the World Boxing Association lightweight title in his possession at the time, but the fans didn’t see it as a huge affair. Campbell complained afterwards that he felt he should have been given the win, but it looked to most fans that Linares dominated the first four and last four rounds with his hand speed and combination punching. Lomachenko will be a lot harder fight for Campbell, and there may not be a need for the judges in this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Virgil Hunter: Khan Was Beating Canelo Until He Got Caught
Veteran trainer Virgil Hunter is confident that his former world champion, Amir Khan, can upset the wide odds on Saturday night.

Khan will challenge Terence Crawford for the WBO welterweight title on April 20th from Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Hunter has been training Khan for the most part since 2012, when the boxer parted ways with Hall of Fame coach Freddie Roach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Last year, Khan briefly trained with Joe Goossen while Hunter was dealing with a serious medical condition.

Khan is back under Hunter's guidance, as they prepare to face on of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the sport.

"Amir is insanely talented," says Hunter to Daily Mail. "But I think he had too much too soon. He used to come to the gym surrounded by friends and distractions. Now he comes just with his gear.

"If you carry your own bag in this game, you are your own person. He’s found himself now and we’re going into the Garden to win; to surprise one of the top two pound-for-pound fighters in the world today.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm 
Heavyweight

"Amir had people in his ear telling him how great he was. He had some great wins and performances. He thought he’d arrived but once you do that, there’s a danger you stop working to reach the very top. The illusion of the moment can stop you looking ahead, which is the whole key in this sport. He didn’t realise he hadn’t yet fulfilled himself."

Back in 2016, Hunter advised Khan to walk away from a lucrative fight with Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

Khan had to move up to a catch-weight of 155-pounds to face Canelo, who at the time was the WBC middleweight champion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 am 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather makes bull**** announcement, return completely dead

World Boxing News 18. 4. 2019
Mayweather
Esther Lin

Despite a lucrative Manny Pacquiao fight being rumored, Floyd Mayweather’s ‘announcement’ turned out to be a marketing ploy.

Due to the nature of Mayweather’s media game-playing, WBN is refusing to post his message.

Speculation was rife regarding a potential Mayweather v Manny Pacquiao return. Floyd chose to capitalize by once again using his puppet master skills.

The boxing world found out on Wednesday that Mayweather probably will not don the gloves again.

Mayweather had outlined several fights were on the cards in an exhibition capacity in 2019. Thus far, none of these promises have come to fruition.

With Pacquiao staying silent. Mayweather’s move does nothing but reaffirm his retirement in an official capacity.

Without a competitive bout since 2015, ‘Money’ has resisted attempts for a comeback on several occasions.

Only a cross-codes battle with Conor McGregor, which made Mayweather a quarter of a billion dollars, was worth getting out of bed for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:09 am 
Heavyweight

There was a meaningless fight with Tenshin Nasukawa. Although that contest wasn’t even shown live on US TV

Now, Mayweather has missed out on his last ever chance to make another nine-figure check opposite the ‘Pacman’.

Projections ‘MayPac 2’ could hit over two million Pay-Per-View were not enough for Mayweather.

Mayweather threw a curveball by making a completely different play, one which will only make him more money.

Pacquiao can now move on to a real fight in the summer against Keith Thurman. Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter remain back-up options.

HURT
On the back of Anthony Joshua’s US debut turning into a farce, Mayweather hasn’t helped the current boxing climate.

Joshua was due to battle Jarrell Miller until the American was denied a license due to a failed drugs test.

An alternative opponent will now be named for Joshua on June 1 at Madison Square Garden.

As for Mayweather, the boxing media may never again fall for such shenanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:13 am 
Heavyweight

Leonard Ellerbe: Bob Arum cannot deliver a big fight for Crawford or Lomachenko
Leonard Ellerbe sounds off on the welterweight situation and Top Rank’s issue with Terence Crawford.
By Scott Christ on April 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Mayweather Promotions’ Leonard Ellerbe, who has worked closely with Al Haymon for many years now, discussed the current situation at welterweight, and chiefly the spot that WBO titleholder Terence Crawford finds himself in with a lack of good opponents.

On Crawford vs Khan

“It’s a good fight. Great deal of respect for both fighters. Should be a good win for Crawford. I think he wins in convincing fashion.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:14 am 
Heavyweight

“(Laughing) He said what?! OK. I really don’t have a reaction. What does that mean? It’s, like — I don’t know. Errol has business to take care of right in front of him. I mean, do I have to name the guys that are right there in his house, in his stable that he can make a fight, he ain’t gotta call nobody and argue with them?

“We all know what the problem — I ain’t gonna call it a problem because it’s not a problem that I have, it’s not a problem that Al has. That’s their problem. They cannot deliver a big fight for Terence Crawford or Lomachenko. That’s what it is! Period and point blank.

“So all this masquerading around, talkin’ about ‘I’m gonna do this,’ that’s just Bob just doing Bob, and it’s OK. He’s a great promoter and he’s made a great living and built a great company by doing those type of things. But that **** is old. That’s prehistoric stuff. The yelling, screaming, ranting, raving, that **** don’t mean nothing in 2019. Nobody’s even listening other than the 10 or 12 people that’s right there in front of him.

“The fighters have a voice, they have the platform, and they’re very, very intelligent. You can’t even trick the public anymore with any of that nonsense. He knows that a Crawford-Spence fight is not getting ready to happen any time soon. Errol Spence has a plethora of options right in front of him, one-by-one-by-one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:14 am 
Heavyweight

“We’re gonna see how all this **** shakes out in the end. Danny (Garcia) feels as though he’s the best welterweight. He lost two close decisions, obviously, to Keith (Thurman) and Shawn (Porter). Shawn thinks he’s the best guy who’s out there. All this **** is getting ready to show up sooner than later.

“If Terence happens to be the last guy standing, I’m sure eventually that’s what it comes down to, those two guys will fight. But in the immediate future, what’s going on right now in 2019, Errol Spence has a number of options. He’s a boss. Each and every one of the welterweights, they think they’re the best. We’re soon gonna find out who is the best.

“Terence Crawford thinks he’s the best, but the difference is, Terence don’t have those options. And it’s unfortunate, I feel bad for the kid. He’s a nice guy, a great fighter, but it’s just unfortunate that he’s not gonna be in any of these big fights in the immediate future, because I know what the plans are for these guys in the immediate future, and Manny Pacquiao.

“These guys are gonna be fighting each other, and they’re all big fights. We’ve seen Keith on big platforms doing 5 million, 4.2 million, whether it be CBS or NBC. We’ve seen Errol Spence on FOX, I think it was FOX, he did 6 million. These are big platforms that the guys have options and the fights are right in front of them. They don’t have to argue with nobody about nothing. It’s one phone call. They’re talking to the same guy, and that’s Al.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:15 am 
Heavyweight

On whether we will see all these welterweight fights in 2019

“I wouldn’t say the end of the year, because it takes time to make fights, but this year you will see these guys mixing it up. You will see Errol in a big fight with one of these guys in his very next fight. You’ll see Manny Pacquiao in a fight with somebody, you’ll see Keith Thurman in a fight with somebody. If Danny wins, you’ll see him in a big fight. If Adrian (Granados) pulls off the upset, you’re gonna see him in the mix. Granados was talking to me a while ago about fighting Keith Thurman. You know?”

On PBC having the 147-pound division in a “stranglehold”

“I wouldn’t call it a stranglehold, I mean, it’s just business. ... Nobody’s looking to (lock Terence Crawford out), he’s a tremendous fighter we all have a great deal of respect for. This is business. These are fights that we can make right away and ain’t gotta argue with nobody about nothing. And they all are big fights.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 am 
Heavyweight

Claressa Shields: I Can Beat Up Thurman, Give Golovkin a Run
IBF, WBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Claressa Shields says she's 100% confident she could beat male fighters ... and she's calling them out by name.

Shields unified her division last weekend when she dominated then undefeated Christina Hammer to win a ten round unanimous decision.

The 24-year-old sensation is now focused on landing the biggest fights possible, including a catch-weight showdown with Cecilia Braekhus.

The two fight at different weight classes but Shields says she's hoping they can meet at 154 pounds and battle it out to determine the greatest pound-for-pound fighter alive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 am 
Heavyweight

Shields doesn't just consider herself the best female fighter alive -- she thinks she's better than most male fighters too ... and she's willing to back it up.

"I spar with men. I drop men. I bust [men's noses]. I beat men up all the time," Shields said to TMZ Sports.

She believes that she can handle WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman, and also believes that she can give former unified middleweight king Gennady Golovkin a run for his money.

"I think I can beat up Keith Thurman ... I really do," Shields said.

"They may be stronger than me, but their boxing ability isn't like mine. GGG, he's older now, but I could give GGG a run for his money."

"Power for power isn't a question because what is boxing? Boxing is the sweet science. It's not about strength ... because people were saying Christina Hammer was stronger than me. They were saying all these girls were stronger than me, but did you not see the head movement that I had during the fight? See the defense? The offense? The traps I set?"

"If I were to get in there with a man, I would do a lot more of that. And, I do have some power. I'm not gonna say I'm stronger than them, but if I set up the right shots with the right timing?!?!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm 
Heavyweight

Boxing news: Anthony Joshua announcement, Floyd Mayweather blasted, Deontay Wilder rant
Anthony Joshua

BOXING NEWS - Express Sport brings you all the latest from the boxing world.
By MIKAEL MCKENZIE
PUBLISHED: 00:23, Fri, Apr 19, 2019
UPDATED: 09:43, Fri, Apr 19, 2019
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+Share with EmailShare via Whatsapp

Anthony Joshua announcement
Anthony Joshua’s camp should be in a position to make an announcement over Jarrell Miller’s replacement next week, according to promotor Eddie Hearn.

Miller was pulled from the June 1 show at New York’s Madison Square Garden because he tested positive for a banned substance.

Joshua’s team are on the hunt for a new opponent.

And Hearn has claimed he could reveal the new name early next week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm 
Heavyweight

“Obviously it’s a fight in America, so from our point of view, we would like an American challenger really,” Hearn told Sky Sports News.

“I don’t think it will be Dillian Whyte.

“There’s probably seven or eight guys I think would fit the bill. Being an American debut, in an ideal world we would like it to be an American, or someone that fights in America.

“We’re going through that and we’re going to be working hard in the next couple of days.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470  Next