Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:25 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480 ... 482  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Boxing: Pacquiao announces Thurman bout for July
ABS-CBN News
Posted at May 12 2019 09:52 AM

MANILA – Filipino boxing legend Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao will return to action in July, when he takes on a dangerous opponent in Keith "One Time" Thurman.

Pacquiao announced through his social media accounts on Sunday that he will face the unbeaten Thurman (29-0, 1 NC) on July 20.

The 40-year-old Pacquiao is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Adrien Broner last January, wherein he made the first defense of the regular WBA welterweight belt that he won from Lucas Matthysse in July 2018.

Thurman, for his part, last fought in January 2019, too. He defended the "super" version of the WBA welterweight belt by defeating Josesito Lopez via majority decision.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:24 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao vs. Keith Thurman set for huge welterweight showdown in July
By Brian Campbell

A long-rumored summer blockbuster appears to be a go for July 20.

After months of speculation that eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, who holds the WBA's secondary welterweight title, would look to unify with full WBA titleholder Keith Thurman, the Filipino icon tweeted out Saturday that the fight is on.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:25 pm 
Heavyweight

According to the tweet, the fight will take place on Fox PPV, although no site has been announced as of yet. Fox's broadcast of Jarrett Hurd vs. Julian Williams later confirmed the bout.

Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs), who turned 40 in January, has seemingly turned back the clock over the past year with a stoppage of Lucas Matthysse that ended a nine-year gap between knockouts and a dominant decision win over Adrien Broner in January.

A full-time senator in his native Philippines, Pacquiao appears to be a different fighter from the one who was beaten to the punch repeatedly in a 2017 disputed decision loss to Jeff Horn in Australia that saw Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach suggest retirement.

The fight against Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs) is expected to be a pick 'em, mostly because the 30-year-old slugger, nicknamed "One Time," looked sluggish in January when he returned from a two-year layoff due to separate injuries to outpoint Josesito Lopez.

Thurman, who was stripped of his WBC title during his absence, retained his WBA belt and will look for his sixth title defense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao-Keith Thurman: Time, Pay-Per-View info for welterweight title fight

Manny Pacquiao returns to the ring for a huge matchup with undefeated Keith Thurman. Here's everything you need to know about the welterweight title fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm 
Heavyweight

When: Saturday, July 20 Time: 9 p.m. ET

Where: MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas

How To Watch: Fox Sports Pay-Per-View

The basics: The 40-year-old Pacquiao (61-7-2) is taking on the 30-year-old Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs) in a battle of WBA welterweight title-holders. Both fighters are coming off victories — Pacquiao having defeated Adrien Broner in January while Thurman had his own decision win over Josesito Lopez in January. That fight for Thurman, however, was his first in 22 months as he had battled back from injury. Pacquiao had scored a TKO win over Lucas Matthysse and suffered a stunning decision loss to Jeff Horn during that time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:35 pm 
Heavyweight

"This is a legacy fight,” Thurman said of his matchup with Pacquiao, noting all the boxing legend had accomplished in his career, including being a champion across six divisions. Pacquiao, for his part, is ready for the showdown at 147.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Now 30, Thurman owns a 29-0 record (22 knockouts) and holds the WBA world welterweight title. He’s just days away from the biggest fight of his life – a meeting with Manny Pacquiao for the world super welterweight championship that will take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and air as a pay-per-view event on Fox Sports.

Thurman’s plan remains the same, however. He plans to show Pacquiao his power, just as Getty would tell him, and then he plans to react, displaying a diverse arsenal.

If successful, Thurman can define his career.

“This fight is more than just being a champion. This is a legacy fight,” Thurman explained. “I’m the undefeated WBA super welterweight champion of the world, but even that said, Manny Pacquiao has accomplished more than I have throughout his career and more than most people will accomplish in a lifetime. … Eight-time world champion in six different divisions? Definitely a Hall of Famer. But for me myself, man. I’m just living the dream, being the best fighter I can be, having the tremendous opportunity to face Manny Pacquiao.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:38 pm 
Heavyweight

have throughout his career and more than most people will accomplish in a lifetime. … Eight-time world champion in six different divisions? Definitely a Hall of Famer. But for me myself, man. I’m just living the dream, being the best fighter I can be, having the tremendous opportunity to face Manny Pacquiao.”

The respect conveyed by Thurman contrasts greatly from the trash-talk that he has fired Pacquiao’s way in the weeks leading up to the fight.

In interviews and news conferences, Thurman has described 40-year-old Pacquiao as everything from a dinosaur to a dodo bird. He has predicted he will send Pacquiao into retirement

In truth, that’s just gamesmanship – Thurman’s attempt to annoy and frustrate Pacquiao. Thurman is well aware that even at this stage of Pacquiao's career he remains a formidable opponent. That’s why despite his perfect record, youth and size advantage, Thurman is the underdog.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Thurman rocks the ring name “One Time,” largely because he began his pro career with eight consecutive first-round knockouts, and he is regarded as a powerful puncher. His star has dimmed some thanks to a 22-month layoff while he recovered from elbow surgery and a hand injury.

Thurman returned to action in January and displayed obvious rust against Josesito Lopez but still won by decision. But some within the boxing community question whether he’s up for the monumental task of defeating the legendary Pacquiao.

“Manny is in the fourth quarter of his career. But that doesn’t mean Manny can’t still fight,” Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, the former WBA lightweight champ and current Fox Sports boxing analyst, told USA TODAY Sports. “Manny can fight his *** off. Here’s the dangerous part for Keith. It’s only his second fight after being off for almost two years. The Lopez fight gave him some challenges. Manny will punch holes in him if he comes out like he did in that fight.”

Thurman has heard the doubters.

“I’ve heard people call me ‘Sometime Thurman’ and ‘Once Upon a Time Thurman.’ But that doesn’t bother me,” he says.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:42 pm 
Heavyweight

In the mind of Thurman and those in his camp, the Lopez fight served its purpose: It reacclimated him to the ring and knocked off the rust. Now, after months of training and conditioning, he has regained top form.

“Myself, I think it was a blessing,” Thurman’s trainer, Dan Birmingham, told USA TODAY Sports. “The time off rejuvenated Keith’s mind and body. He has shown that in the way he’s been working in the gym and talking. I’ve seen it all. His footwork has gotten better. His hands have gotten better. Manny is a legend, and Keith is going to be a legend someday. Right now, he’s going to be a legend-beater.”

Others, like Tim Smith, vice president of Premiere Boxing Champions, agree that Thurman is ready for this fight. “It was a tough fight, and had it been an easy fight for him it would’ve not been a good thing for this fight because he would’ve thought he could take it easy in training,” Smith told USA TODAY Sports. “He feels like he has to push himself to get back to the Keith Thurman of old, who stepped into the ring (for championship fights) against Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia.”

If Thurman has indeed regained top form, then Saturday’s contest could be great and evenly matched.

Pacquiao boasts great quickness and an aggressive boxing style featuring lightning-fast hands. But Thurman is quick enough to hang with his opponent and he has a size and strength advantage.

“Keith is a very skilled boxer. He punches hard, he’s solid defense, and he’s seen a lot of different styles,” Smith said. “A lot of the problems that Pacquiao presents for people is his quickness and his speed, and I think Keith has the ability to handle that. He’s quick as well.”

Said Mancini, “I keep going back and forth in my mind. But the question of the fight is this: Is Keith going to knock the building down. Keith can knock the building down. But if Manny has one good one left in him, then I think he beats Keith just because of the experience, the boxing knowledge, the boxing IQ. But if Manny grows old – every fighter grows old in one fight – and if this is the fight that Manny grows old, this is not the guy he wants to do it with. This is not the guy. Keith will knock him dead.”

The opinions of analysts, oddsmakers and fans don't faze Thurman. His internal strength, the support of those in his camp and the words of Getty drown out all of the outside noise.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:43 pm 
Heavyweight

When he steps into the ring Saturday night, Thurman, who for every fight wears shorts with Ben Getty’s name stitched on them, will do so brimming with the same confidence that the trainer instilled in him at a young age.

“He’d always tell me, ‘You’re a million-dollar fighter, boy.’ And at the age of 14, that was kind of hard to comprehend. I hadn’t even fought for one dollar yet,” Thurman recalled. “But I said to myself, if he believes in me, I should believe in me, and I guess I’ll show up to the gym every day. I committed to the sport.

“I started at the age of 7 and I’m 30 now, so it’s been 23 years devoted to the sport of boxing,” Thurman added. “Now, Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman is coming to put in work and to beat a legend. That’s my focus. … We’re going to do everything possible to get the victory in stylish fashion and showcase my skills and passion to the world again.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:53 am 
Heavyweight

Now fighting

Bantamweight 118 lbs. 12 rounds Mexico's Luis Nery vs. Dominican Republic's Juan Carlos Payano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:55 am 
Heavyweight

Round By Round
LUIS NERY vs JUAN CARLOS PAYANO
Round 1: Both fighters take a godo look at one another at center ring. Half-hearted jab to the body comes from Payano. Nery steps out of range of a Payano left hand, then does it again moments later. Payano misses on two more left hands that can’t find the range. Jab lands to the body for Payano this time, and Nery has barely thrown a punch halfway through the round. Jab lands to the body again for Payano. Payano comes in behind an ineffective flurry with Nery near the corner. Left hand to the body grazes Nery. Nery took this whole round off, studying his opponent. Payano 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:56 am 
Heavyweight

Round 2: Payano comes out using lateral movement before jabbing to the body. Nery throws two hooks in between Payano’s shots but can’t land them clean. Nery misses on a wide left hook. Payano throws a couple of shots to the body and then grabs hold of Nery on the inside. Nery jabs twice upstairs but misses on both shots. One-two comes from Payano as Nery hides behind a high guard. Nery still hasn’t thrown many punches in this round either, but now lands a hook that pushes Payano back. Nery nods at Payano, encouraging him to throw more punches before the bell rings. Payano 10-9, 20-18.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:57 am 
Heavyweight

Round 3: Jab to the body lands for Payano. Both fighters wind up in a messy exchange along the ropes and the referee has to break them. Now Nery tries a jab to the body but it doesn’t land well. Nery walks into a Payano jab and the fighters have to get broken up again. Nery misses on a left hand and then starts working both sides of the body with a series of hooks. Now Nery steps in with a few big left hooks but only makes partial contact with one. Payano lands another jab downstairs just before the bell. Payano 10-9.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480 ... 482  Next