Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 488  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:14 pm 
Heavyweight

A right hook by Pacquiao, the same punch that dropped Thurman late in the first round, landed flush with about 1:45 to go in the third round. Thurman pressed action toward the end of the third round, but he couldn’t connect with anything that impacted Pacquiao.

After dropping Thurman late in the first round, Pacquiao connected with several straight left hands during the second round. Pacquiao caught Thurman with a hard left hand just before the end of the second round.

Thurman delivered on his promise to try to take out Pacquiao as soon as their fight started. He was aggressive against and clipped Pacquiao with a left hook just after the midway mark of the first round.

Pacquiao came back, though, and knocked down Thurman by blasting him with a right hook that sent Thurman crashing to the canvas with just over 20 seconds remaining in the opening round.

Thurman was surprised, but he seemed to be on steady legs when he got up. He fired a hard right hand at Pacquaio just before the first round ended.

Before Saturday night, a resurgent Pacquiao had won his previous two fights very convincingly.

Following a one-year layoff after his upset loss to Jeff Horn in July 2017, he knocked down Argentina’s Lucas Matthysse (39-5, 36 KOs, 1 NC) three times on his way to a seventh-round technical knockout a year ago in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Six months later, the full-time senator soundly defeated Adrien Broner (33-4-1, 24 KOs, 1 NC) by unanimous decision in their 12-rounder January 19 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Thurman fought for the second time Saturday night since spending 22 months out of the ring due to elbow surgery and a subsequent hand injury.

In his previous fight, the Clearwater, Florida, native looked rusty against Lopez, who nearly knocked out Thurman in the seventh round January 26 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Lopez (36-8, 19 KOs, 1 NC), who was a huge underdog, hurt Thurman badly with just over 1:40 remaining in the seventh round Thurman estimates that Lopez actually buzzed him with three separate power punches during that shaky sequence.

A resilient Thurman held, moved and eventually punched his way to surviving that surprising seventh round. By the start of the eighth round, Thurman had regained his composure and took control of their 12-round fight again.

Judges Tom Schreck (117-109) and Steve Weisfeld (115-111) scored that fight for Thurman. One judge, Don Ackerman, scored the action even (113-113).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:24 pm 
Heavyweight

IBF champ Errol Spence Jnr and WBC champ Shawn Porter both came in at the welterweight limit of 147 lbs during the official weighin Friday at the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. Spence and Porter will try to unify their welterweight titles Saturday night in what could be first step to have an undisputed champion in the division. Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao holds the WBA belt while Terrence Crawford owns the WBO version.

Below are the official weights for fights to be televised on FOX Sports Pay per View:

Errol Spence Jr (147) vs. Shawn Porter (147)
Anthony Dirrell (167.6) vs. David Benavidez (167)
Mario Barrios (140) vs. Batyr Akhmedov (139.4)
Josesito Lopez (146.6) vs. John Molina (146.2)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:26 pm 
Heavyweight

Mario Barrios vs. Batyr Akhmedov & Josesito Lopez vs. John Molina Jr. Round Out Action Packed FOX Sports PBC Pay-Per-View Lineup This Saturday, September 28 from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (September 26, 2019) - Fighters competing in FOX Sports PBC Pay-Per-View and Prelims on FS1 and FOX Deportes action went face-to-face Thursday at a final press conference before they compete in action this Saturday, September 28 from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

The pay-per-view begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT and is headlined by the highly-anticipated welterweight title unification between IBF Champion Errol "The Truth" Spence Jr. and WBC Champion "Showtime" Shawn Porter. Facing off Thursday and entering the ring in pay-per-view action were Mario "El Azteca" Barrios and Batyr Akhmedov, who compete for the vacant WBA Super Lightweight Title, and all-action veteran contenders Josesito "The Riverside Rocky" Lopez and John Molina Jr., who meet in a welterweight attraction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:27 pm 
Heavyweight

MARIO BARRIOS

"I appreciate everyone who made this fight happen. This is the biggest opportunity of my career and I'm excited. I had a great training camp and I'm prepared to put on a show for everyone watching.

"Winning this fight would mean everything to me. This has been a long road and I've been very patient. My opportunity is finally here and I'm not letting it slip by.

"His team pas put Akhemdov on the fast track to a world title, but it's going to end up being their biggest mistake.

"I feel great at 140-pounds. This is the strongest I've felt in my career, which is why I have eight straight stoppages. I'm going in there with bad intentions for Saturday.

"I see myself right there with the champions at 140-pounds. I'm going to put them all on notice and the whole boxing world will have to take notice as well.

"The opportunity is in front of me right now. All I have to do is go out there Saturday night to take advantage.

"I have the ability to box or bang on the inside. I have speed, power and the size for this weight to be a problem. I've been ready for any of the top fighters.

"It's been a long time since San Antonio had a world champion and having this chance to be the first in a while, makes it that much better. I promised my city a title when I turned pro, and it's here now. No way I'm going home without that title."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:28 pm 
Heavyweight

BATYR AKHMEDOV

"I'm not here to talk too much. I'm going to talk in the ring on Saturday night and have my hand raised.

"This was a long road for me. Since my first day in boxing, I wanted to fight for the title. Now I'm one step away. I believe in myself and I believe that on Saturday I'm going to bring the belt home.

"I don't know much about Barrios and I haven't watched his fights. My team has studied him and will come up with a great game plan. My opponent will only fight the style that I allow him to fight.

"I have been doubted my whole career. People have always said that I was moving too fast in the pros. Now we're on the eighth fight and I'll prove everyone wrong again.

"Being in the desert in Southern California for training is great for me. The sparring is great and combined with the coaching from Joel and Antonio Diaz, it's a perfect complete package."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:28 pm 
Heavyweight

JOSESITO LOPEZ

"I'm really excited to be here. This is a great event. I can't wait for this fight. Make sure you tune in early because this fight is going to be all action. I'm prepared for everything that's going to happen on Saturday.

"I'm really pumped up to get it on Saturday. Right now I'm just laid back and relaxing. All the hard work is done. Weigh-in next then we're ready to head into Saturday.

"I've been known for my left hook but I think I've made a lot of improvements in how I throw my right hand. It's going to be a lethal combo.

"It's going to be action and violence on Saturday night. I'm excited for it. I'm in this sport to be in marquee fights like this. This is going to be a fight everyone remembers.

"STAPLES Center is a place where I really got the opportunity to make a name for myself. Ever since then, I've been putting it all on the line, time and time again. By having a never give up attitude, anything is possible."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:29 pm 
Heavyweight

JOHN MOLINA JR.

"I believe Lopez and myself are going to set the bar really high on fight night. It's an all action fight. As a fan of the sport, I'd love to sit back and watch. We're prepared and ready to go give everyone a great show.

"This fight has been a long time coming. We came up in this sport around the same time and I always thought he would be a great challenge. If you want to look for someone who has a resume close to mine, it would be Josesito.

"I'm excited because this is a challenge. I know this is no easy fight. It's going to be spontaneous combustion. It's instant fight, just add water.

"It's going to be all action. The butterflies are starting to kick in and that means I'm ready to go now. The hard work is done, the weight is good, and we're ready to go to work.

"We sparred back in the day but the only thing I'll say is, that if that session is what you'll see on Saturday, you're going to really enjoy it."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 pm 
Heavyweight

ABOUT SPENCE VS. PORTER
Spence vs. Porter pits unbeaten IBF Welterweight Champion Errol "The Truth" Spence Jr. against WBC Welterweight Champion "Showtime" Shawn Porter in a 147-pound title unification that headlines a FOX Sports PBC Pay-Per-View event on Saturday, September 28 from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

The pay-per-view event begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT and features WBC Super Middleweight World Champion Anthony "The Dog" Dirrell facing unbeaten former champion David "El Bandera Roja" Benavidez in the co-main event, unbeaten contenders Mario "El Azteca" Barrios and Batyr Akhmedov battling for the WBA Super Lightweight title, and rugged veteran Josesito "The Riverside Rocky" Lopez and brawler John Molina Jr. competing in a 10-round welterweight fight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Errol "The Truth" Spence, Jr. is 5 ft 10.5 in (179 cm) with a reach of 72 in (183 cm). He weighs 147 lbs. during the official weigh-in. The southpaw fighter was born on March 3, 1990 (age 29) in Long Island, New York, U.S. and residing in Desoto, Texas, U. S. In his 25 bouts, he fought 108 rounds for an 84% KO rate. His record is 25-0-0 with 21 KOs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Shawn "Showtime" Porter is shorter at 5 ft 7 in (170 cm) with a reach of 69 1⁄2 in (177 cm). He too weighs 147 lbs. during the official weigh-in. The orthodox fighter was born on October 20, 1987 (age 31) in Akron, Ohio, U.S. and residing in Las Vegas, Nevada, U. S. In his 33 bouts, he fought 219 rounds for a 51.52% KO rate. His record is 30-2-1 with 17 KOs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence and Porter will earn $2 million each for their fight, said a California State Athletic Commission official who reviewed their contracts as told to BoxingScene.com. Both champions will earn additional guarantees and can both come up with larger amounts depending on how their Fox pay-per-view bout sells. The purse is lesser than the $3 million deal plus additional guarantees for Spence during his PPV fight with Mikey Garcia.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:52 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence knocked out eight opponents in the first round namely Mexican Carlos Ocampo, American Raymond Charles, Mexican Gerardo Cuevas, American Jesus Tavera, American Eddie Cordova, Mexican Guillermo Ibarra, American Brandon Hoskins, and American Nathan Butcher. He knocked out one foe in the 2nd round, three foes in the 3rd round and two foes in the 4th round.

Porter knocked out seven opponents in the first round namely Colombian Raul Pinzon, American Lamar Harris, American Brandon Wooten, Mexican Eloy Suarez, American Tommy Stepp, American Toris Smith, and American Norman Johnson. He knocked out one foe in the 2nd round and four foes in the 4th round. Another opponent was disqualified in the 2nd round after his cornermen refused to leave the ring.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 pm 
Heavyweight

On May 27, 2017 Errol Spence, Jr. defeated Kell Brook by 11th round TKO at the Bramall Lane, Sheffield, England to win the IBF welterweight title. About three years earlier, Shawn Porter lost the same IBF welterweight title to Brook by majority decision on August 16, 2014 at the StubHub Center, Carson, California, U.S.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence is a 10-1 favorite over Porter in their IBF and WBC welterweight unification title fight. Their bout will headline a four-fight FOX Sports Pay-Per-View event that will take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California which will be Spence’s first boxing match in L.A. since his second pro bout in December 15, 2012 against American Richard Andrews.

Coincidentally, in that same card, Porter drew with Mexican Julio Diaz in the first blemish of his pro career. The fights were held at the Memorial Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California. U. S. The fight ended in a split decision draw after 10 rounds 96–94, 95–95, 94–96. In the main event, Amir Khan defeated Carlos Molina by TKO in the tenth round and won the WBC Silver light welterweight title.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Errol Spence: I'm Gonna Break Shawn Porter's Will, Stop Him!
By Keith Idec
Published On Sat Sep 28, 2019, 12:14 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES – Errol Spence Jr. knows Shawn Porter’s persistence is one of the WBC welterweight champion’s greatest attributes.

Spence also is confident that he’ll eventually beat the determination out of Porter in their 12-round, 147-pound title unification fight. The unbeaten IBF champion promised again Friday that he’ll become the first opponent to knock out the durable, gritty Porter on Saturday night at Staples Center.

“I know he’s a tough fighter, he’s gonna come to fight,” Spence told FOX Sports’ Heidi Androl following their weigh-in at the Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown hotel. “But like I said, I’m gonna break his will and I’m gonna be the first person to stop Shawn Porter.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 488  Next