Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:03 pm 
Heavyweight

...continued from previous page...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:03 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 am 
Heavyweight

Dragging the fight for the fans is not good for health. Spence Jr did the right thing to KO his opponent when he was given an opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:31 am 
Heavyweight

Thunder_knuckles wrote:
Dragging the fight for the fans is not good for health. Spence Jr did the right thing to KO his opponent when he was given an opportunity.

yes approved!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:31 am 
Heavyweight

Golovkin Promoter: Canelo Rematch Bigger Than Wilder-Joshua

Tom Loeffler, promoter for IBO, WBC, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, feels very strongly that his fighter's upcoming rematch with Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is the biggest fight in the sport.

Last week, the two sides finalized a deal to stage the rematch on September 15th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Another major fight in the works - is the heavyweight unification between undefeated punchers Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua - with the WBA, WBC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 am 
Heavyweight

While some would argue that Joshua-Wilder is the biggest fight in the sport - Loeffler disagrees, and he explains why the Canelo-Golovkin rematch is sitting in the top seat.

"Well, I think the bigger fight is the one that's actually happening. We've announced it for September 15th, Mexican Independence Day," Loeffler told SiriusXM Boxing.

"When you look at the fanbase that Canelo brings to the table, he's a proven pay-per-view star, sells out a lot of tickets. Triple G brings his fanbase, he sold out Madison Square Garden in New York, he sold out the O2 Arena in London, he sold out the Forum in Los Angeles, the Stubhub in LA, the T-Mobile in Las Vegas. So when you put those two fanbases together, I would have to go with Triple G and Canelo [as the bigger fight] just because of the international flavor of that fight and the strong fanbases that both guys bring to the table.

"When you have a heavyweight championship fight, with working with the Klitschko brothers for so long and doing so many championship fights, whenever you do a heavyweight championship fights it brings a little bit of extra flare - but these guys [Canelo and Golovkin] .. it really feels like the biggest fight in the sport of boxing right now... especially since its really happening on September 15."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am 
Heavyweight

Matthysse is strong, dangerous, but … -- Fortune 

By Eddie Alinea
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2018

Starting this week, boxing great Manny Pacquiao’s build up program for his coming fight with World Boxing Association welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse gears towards tactics and strategies. 

The normal routine -- sparring and other ring stuff, roadwork, etc, -- will continue but with a lesser frequency, according to strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune with the training team, headed by Buboy Fernandez giving ample time on charting game plans on how to make the Filipino former belt-owner now challenger, win. 

The soon-to-be 40 year-old Philippine Senator is challenging the heavy-punching 35-year-old Argentine titleholder, nicknamed “La Maquina,” for his aggressive style of fighting, for the latter’s 147-pound crown on Sunday, July 15 at the Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur. 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 am 
Heavyweight

“We’ll continue with what we started and keep Manny where he is today, but this time, three weeks before we leave the country, we’ll also have to spend time drawing game plans on how to beat Lucas,” Fortune, owner of Fortune Boxing Gym at the heart of Hollywood in Los Angeles, said. 

“We’ve been watching tapes of Matthysse’s latest fights, including his losses to (Victor) Postol and (Danny) Garcia, the past several days and we’ve found several defects and weaknesses in his style, which we’ll try to exploit,” Fortune bared. 

“Of course, we also found where his strength are and we, certainly, will find solution to offset,” Fortune, a former Australian heavyweight campaigner explained. 

“Lucas is definitely strong and dangerous and has one the best trainers in the business,” Fortune said in reference to the champ’s trainer Joel Diaz. “But as we’ve noticed, he has a few bad habits and weaknesses Manny can easily capitalized on.” 

Fortune said he expects a good fight boxing fans will surely enjoy “especially if Matthysse decides to mix it up with Manny. That makes it more interesting.” 

“We’re preparing Manny for a worse scenario and we know, too, they’re preparing for us. So it’ll boil down to who prepares well, where, I believe we’ll have the edge.” 

“Manny, after more than two decades of fighting, is still on top of his game. He also has suffered a few setbacks and earned brickbats as a result,” he quipped. 

“But those, I’m sure, taught him lessons and make him a more intelligent fighter. That’ll be his biggest advantage in this fight,” Fortune said. 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:43 am 
Heavyweight

MANNY WILL KO LUCAS SAYS KAMBOSOS

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Sun, 17 Jun 2018

Manny Pacquiao’s Australian sparring partner George Kambosos, believes the fighting senator will knockout Argentinean WBA "regular" welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse on July 15, at the Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 

Kambosos thinks Pacquiao is a still a very perilous opponent even at 39 years old, is not yet at the end of the road after undergoing several sparring rounds with the world's only eight division world champion. 

“I believe Manny can knock Matthysse out,” Kambosos was quoted by The Manila Times. “Matthysse’s defense is not superb and he relies only on his offense. This is perfect for a fighter like Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao’s hand speed, combination punching, and power will lead to a knock out over Matthysse. Pacquiao is still at the top of his game.” 

Kambosos added that Matthysse is also 35, so the age factor won’t play a major role in this fight. He said Manny is "fitter, faster and smarter" than Matthysse and he is confident in the way they are training and sparring.

"He can keep a very fast pace for the whole 12 rounds if it is to go to a decision. Manny is getting sharper, faster and stronger week by week. We have had an excellent week of sparring and are on perfect track for the July 15th fight," declared Kambosos. 

The Aussie undefeated fighter said the Pacquiao loss to Jeff Horn in Brisbane in July 2017 was a close fight. And in his opinion, Pacquiao has done enough to win the fight by at least 2/3 rounds. 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 am 
Heavyweight

"There is no weight on Manny’s shoulders for the Matthysse fight more than anything now being the challenger for the title has motivated him more to show the fans he still has more to give to the world," Kambosos said. 

Kambosos, known as Ferocious, is a Greek-Australian professional boxer fighting in the lightweight division. He is currently WBA Oceania and IBF Pan Pacific lightweight champion. In May 2018 he had his American debut and knocked out Jose Forero in just 1:48 of the first round. He has 14 wins, 8 by KO and still undefeated. 

Meanwhile, Hall of Fame boxing commentator Bob Sheridan is giving Matthysse a very good chance to upset Pacquiao. 

"I think every fight is dangerous for Manny at this stage of his career. Manny has accomplished everything he can, he’s 39 years of age and that’s a problem. No matter how gifted an athlete you are and no matter how much you train, you’re not the same as when you were 29, and that’s the case with Manny Pacquiao," Sheridan told On The Ropes Boxing Radio. 

He said Horn was the first one to expose him, even though he had a decent and a close fight throughout. "Matthysse has the powerful right and if Manny gets caught, he’ll go, and that’s all there is about it. Every fight at this stage is dangerous when you’re fighting a world class fighter like Matthysse. It’s a dangerous fight," he added. 

A loss would most probably send Pacquiao into retirement while Matthysse would grab the biggest win of his boxing career. Pacquiao will be inactive for more than a year on the day of the fight after a shocking unanimous decision loss to Horn. 

Matthysse, who is now trained by renowned coach Joel Diaz, is on a hot streak, winning five of his last six fights, losing only to Viktor Postol. 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 am 
Heavyweight

Tyson Fury Hopes To Get a Much Better Opponent on Aug. 18

Former unified heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury (26-0, 20 KOs) is hoping to get a much stiffer challenge when he return on August 18th at Windsor Park in Belfast - as part of the undercard to Carl Frampton's clash with Luke Jackson.

Fury stepped back in the ring two weeks ago in Manchester, when he stopped Sefer Seferi in a complete mismatch. The fight was waved off when Seferi refused to come out for the fifth round.

It was Fury's first bout in the ring since November of 2015, when he traveled to Germany and pulled of a huge upset with a twelve round unanimous decision over Wladimir Klitshcko to capture the WBA, WBO, IBO, IBF belts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 am 
Heavyweight

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281 ... 374  Next