Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:51 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:52 am 
Heavyweight

Frampton said: “Michael Conlan has what it takes to be a worldwide superstar. I can’t wait to see him fight on June 30 and the undercard is phenomenal too.

“In the States he’s with Top Rank and Bob Arum and that man has promoted Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. We’re talking elite names here.

“People like Arum and Frank Warren really know what they’re doing. If Mick plays it right, he has potential to become not just a big name in Ireland but a big name globally.

“When you watch him you can tell he’s just a class act. He’a lovely boxer. He’s very highly skilled and there aren’t many fighters who can compete with him on how skilled he is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:52 am 
Heavyweight

“Mick’s also looking like he is starting to punch a bit harder and that’s something that will continue to develop as he gets older.

“Perhaps most importantly, he has the right mentality and if he plays it right, the sky is the limit for him.”

In addition to Conlan’s clash with the highly-rated Adeilson Dos Santos (19-4-KO15), a colossal undercard features Jack Catterall v Tyrone McKenna, Jono Carroll v Declan Geraghty, Tyrone McCullagh v Joe Ham, Paddy Gallagher v Gary Corcoran, Johnny Coyle v Lewis Benson and much more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny sets blockbuster undercard
By Joaquin Henson, PhilBoxing.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao has assembled a 12-fight, 108-round bill capped by his battle against WBA welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse of Argentina at the 16,000-seat Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur on July 15 with nine protagonists staking their unbeaten records and four world titles at stake. 

It’ll be the biggest boxing spectacle in K. L. since Muhammad Ali outpointed Joe Bugner to retain the world heavyweight title at the Merdeka Stadium in 1975. The fights are set on Sunday morning (Malaysia time) so they can air live on Saturday evening in the US. Top Rank is in charge of the US telecast, most likely on the ESPN network or ESPN+ streaming. 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:31 pm 
Heavyweight

“Malaysia’s ready,” said Pacquiao. “I’m excited, the fans are excited. Let’s get on with the fights.” Tickets went on sale last June 6 with seven different prices----$125, $250, $350, $500, $1,000, $2,000 and $5,000. The new Malaysian government under recently-elected comeback prime minister Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad has eliminated the 6 percent Goods and Services Tax that the previous administration imposed so ticket prices are lower than what they would’ve been with the former policy. Pacquiao’s executives in the Malaysian promotions company MPKL said they expect a sell-out. 

Aside from the main event, there will be three other world title fights. Tepora takes on Mexico’s Indio Ortega for the vacant WBA featherweight crown relinquished by Abner Mares who lost to Leo Santa Cruz in a bid for the super WBA 126-pound title. Bin faces defending WBA lightflyweight king Canizales in a duel of undefeated fighters. Bin, 23, is a 2016 Rio Olympian and if he dethrones Canizales, will set a record for winning a world title in only his second pro outing. Vasily Lomachenko and Saensak Muangsurin share the record of winning world crowns in their third pro bouts. South African Moruti Mthalane will clash with Waseem for the IBF flyweight title surrendered by Donnie Nietes who has moved up to the superflyweight division.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Fighters from 14 countries are seeing action in the event. Pacquiao’s MP Promotions executives Michael Koncz and Joe Ramos collaborated with Top Rank chief operating officer Brad Jacobs, Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez and Las Vegas-based international matchmaker Sean Gibbons to sign up boxers from the Philippines, Argentina, Mexico, China, Venezuela, Pakistan, South Africa, Tanzania, Malaysia, Australia, Japan, Thailand, India and Indonesia. The card features four 12-rounders, two 10-rounders, three 8-rounders, two 6-rounders and one 4-rounder. 

One of Pacquiao’s three sparmates George Kambosos of Australia was given a slot and will face the Philippines’ J. R. Magboo in an 8-round lightweight contest. Kambosos’ record is 14-0, with 8 KOs while Magboo has a 17-1 slate, with 8 KOs. Kambosos is among nine unbeaten fighters in the card. The others are the Philippines’ Jhack Tepora, China’s Lu Bin and Yong Qiang Yang, Malaysia’s Muhamad Farkhan, Theena Thayalan and Ailman Abu Baker, Venezuela’s Carlos Canizales and Pakistan’s Muhammad Waseem. 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao, Tepora, Harmonito de la Torre, Juan Miguel Elorde, Magboo, Jay-Ar Inson and Vincent Astrolabio are the Filipinos in the card. De la Torre, who boasts a 19-1 record, with 12 KOs, will tangle with the unbeaten Yang (10-0, 7 KOs) in a 10-round lightweight tiff. Elorde meets Thailand’s Ratchanon Sawang Soda in a 6-round superbantamweight tussle while Inson engages Australia’s Terry Tzouramanis in an 8-round welterweight contest. Astrolabio squares off with Japan’s Yuuki Kobayashi in an 8-round bantamweight scrap. 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao, Matthysse Gearing for Tougher Training Days

PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2018

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:35 pm 
Heavyweight

GENERAL SANTOS CITY--Ring warriors Manny Pacquiao and Lucas Matthysse stepped up their respective training sessions a notch higher as preparations for "Fight of Champions" entered its hardest stages this week. 

Pacquiao is all business these days as he is focusing on the most challenging fight of his life. He sparred for 10 rounds Thursday afternoon and gave out a big smile to his supporters, saying, "it's good to be back." 

So inspired is Pacquiao these days that he is concentrating on just winning the fight that he wants most. He delegated management of MP Promotions, the lead promoter of his July 15 battle at the Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to his trusted lieutenants. 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Matthysse, the welterweight champion who vowed to defend with his life and bring back to his country Argentina the WBA crown that he won early this year, is also as determined to retire the only eight-division and 10-time champion in boxing history. 

Pacquiao's sparring will reach the full 12 rounds next week even as Matthysse's trainer Joel Diaz has laid out an elaborate game-plan to score a win for his dangerous pupil, a boxer who has knocked out 36 of the 39 opponents he has faced in the past. 

"As far as I am concerned, everything is fine," said Pacquiao, responding to rumors that the fight is headed to a postponement or even cancellation. "Lucas Matthysse and I are getting ready to give the fans their money's worth and July 15 will be huge for boxing in Malaysia." 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao assigned a team to take care of business and logistics as he concentrated in training alone. 

Marketing and sales head Arnold Vegafria echoed Pacquiao's sentiments. Vegafria, who was monitoring news online on a plane heading back to the Philippines from New York City, said all concerned decision makers were in agreement with each other. 

"Everyone is on board. Everyone understands the situation and the fight is going as planned," said Vegafria. 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Aside from the Pacquiao Vs Matthysse championship, three more world title fights are in store for hardcore boxing fans including the World Boxing Association featherweight bout between Edivaldo Ortega of Mexico, (26-1-1, 12 KOs) and Jhack Tepora of the Philippines (21-0, 16 KOs). 

Chinese amateur sensation and Olympian Lu Bin will challenge Carlos Canizales of Venezuela, the WBA light flyweight champion (20-0-1). Another world championship pits IBF flyweight title holder Moruti Mthalane of South Africa and Muhammad Waseem of Pakistan. 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:39 pm 
Heavyweight

PACQUIAO-MATTHYSSE FEATS, FACTS AND FIGURES 9: MATTHYSSE GOES FOR A KNOCKOUT AGAINST PACQUIAO

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2018

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Lucas Matthysse's head trainer Joel Diaz analyzed that Manny Pacquiao at present is not that powerful compared when he was younger. Diaz says Matthysse will do everything to score a knockout when they clash for the World Boxing Association regular welterweight title in Kuala Lumpur on July 15. 

Diaz knows very well how Pacquiao fights having coached Timothy Bradley in his first two fights against Pacquiao. The veteran trainer warns the Argentinean world titlist that ruthless onslaught on the eight division world champion is likewise risky for Matthysse. 

Diaz has formulated a tactical fight plan that would more or less follow the Bradley pattern which upset Pacquiao during their first encounter, although it was later unofficially reversed by a panel of experts who reviewed it and declared that Pacquiao actually won. 

Many experts consider Bradley as the better fighter than Matthysse, but the Argentinean champion punches stronger and is a knockout artist. 

“I think if Lucas follows the plan the way we are working on and catches Pacquiao in an exchange, we will hurt him,” Diaz was quoted by KO Artist Sports. Diaz of course knows that Pacquiao has superior speed than Matthysse. 

“Going the distance with Manny, we’re not going to win. So we’re going for all the marbles. We have to go for the knockout,” Diaz added. 

Diaz realized that to beat Pacquiao you must have good timing, because he is a very intense fighter. He said that "Pacquiao can tire you out psychologically because physically you can never time him when he comes in. He’s always so tense. He uses a lot of feints. He always keeps you on the edge.” 

Diaz however has observed the Manny Pacquiao 10 years ago, 5 years ago and 2 months ago and has made some changes that he is not the young Manny Pacquiao anymore that has the power. "When was the last time that he knocked out someone out? It’s been a while,” Diaz said. 

Pacquiao will let the outcome of the Matthysse fight decide his boxing future. "If my body does not respond anymore why am I pushing myself?" he said. "This fight is the answer of all those questions." 

The 35-year-old Matthysse has won 36 of his 44 fights by knockout. 

Pacquiao, who trains for his 69th professional fight, was the first boxer in history to win world titles in four of the original eight weight classes of boxing - flyweight, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight. 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 374  Next