Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:48 am 
Heavyweight

Controversy aside, the first bout was an outstanding display of boxing skill, and a fascinating meshing of styles at the highest possible level of the sport. Even if the fight wasn’t a bloodbath, in terms of overall skill level and drama inside the ring, it ranked among the very best in recent memory on both counts.

Boxing fans are indeed spoiled in 2018 with the amount of content being pumped out each and every day. But one should never be too spoiled to get excited about the sport’s best, pound-for-pound, fighting one another.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Golovkin vs. Canelo: 10 Questions (And Answers)

By Clff Rold

Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez fight for a second time on Saturday night in Las Vegas. Here are some questions I have going into the fight.

CAN ALVAREZ OVERCOME THE EVENTS OF THE PAST YEAR?

Alvarez has been through a lot since he fought Golovkin last September. The decision that gave him a draw was ridiculed by many of those who thought Triple-G did more than enough to win, which diminished a solid performance on the Mexican’s part. The banned substance clenbuterol was found in his system leading up to the original rematch date of May 5, which he blamed on tainted meat. He was suspended for six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the fight was off and he has been the target of incessant criticism since. And Alvarez will have been out of the ring for a full year, the longest hiatus of his career. Rust could be an issue against a beast like Golovkin. It will not have been easy for Alvarez to put all that aside and be the fighter we’ve come to know. I’m guessing he’ll be OK. He’s only 28 but has been a pro – with the same team – for 13 years; he has the experience and support to handle anything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 pm 
Heavyweight

WILL GOLOVKIN’S AGE BE A FACTOR?

Triple-G has overwhelmed many good, but second-tier middleweights for most of his otherworldly career – including 23 consecutive knockouts – but he looked human in his biggest fights, a close decision over Daniel Jacobs and a draw (albeit a controversial one) with Alvarez last year. Why? The obvious answer is quality of opposition. Even the greatest fighters cease to be dominating against some foes. Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran comes to mind. It’s not fair to expect Triple-G to blow away the likes of Jacobs and Alvarez, especially after he arguably did enough to win both fights. Another possible reason for Golovkin’s less-than-overwhelming performances might be his age. He’s in his mid-30s, a stage when many fighters have begun to slow down. I doubt that Golovkin’s age will be a significant factor on Saturday – older athletes seem to be performing at a high level these days – but one never knows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 pm 
Heavyweight

WILL THE ANIMOSITY BETWEEN THE FIGHTERS CARRY OVER INTO THE RING?

The back-and-forth trash talk leading up to the fight has been particularly nasty. Golovkin and members of his camp have attacked Alvarez’s integrity every chance they got and Alvarez responded with his own venom each time. The promoters undoubtedly have encouraged their fighters to let the comments fly in an effort to sell the fight. And I have no doubt that Golovkin and Co. are trying to get under Alvarez skin, perhaps in an effort to draw him into a firefight. A lot of the animosity seems genuine, though. These guys obviously don’t like each other. I don’t think that will play a decisive role in the fight. Golovkin and Alvarez are smart, seasoned pros who will put emotion aside and follow their fight plans. That said, I can see the bitterness emerging if one gets the other in trouble and tries to finish him off. It’s not hard to imagine either fighter thinking as he fires off blows intended to end the fight, “I’ll teach that ******.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:20 pm 
Heavyweight

DOES GOLOVKIN NEED A KO TO WIN?

Anything is possible in boxing but only the most cynical among us believe the judges will screw Golovkin after what happened in the first fight. The judges for the rematch – Dave Moretti, Glenn Feldman and Steve Weisfeld – are highly respected, which is why they were selected by Nevada State Athletic Commission officials. The last thing Bob Bennett and Co. want is another controversy, which would attract more scorn to Nevada and boxing. If the fight goes the distance, I believe the scoring will more or less reflect what happened in the ring. I have a related question: Will the fight go the distance? Golovkin and Alvarez have among the best chins in boxing, which makes it difficult to imagine either of them being stopped. If it happens, it probably will be the result of an accumulation of punches that prompts the referee to step in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 pm 
Heavyweight

WHAT DOES A GOLOVKIN VICTORY MEAN?

A victory for Golovkin would be a breakthrough for the unbeaten Kazakhstani, as strange as that might seem at this stage of his career. He built his reputation as a force of nature by stopping one opponent after another but hit a wall against his toughest opponents, barely beating Daniel Jacobs and drawing with Alvarez. That leaves Triple-G without a defining victory at 36 years old. Golovkin did outpoint Jacobs, for which he deserves credit, but his inability to dominate the New Yorker shattered any notion that he was unbeatable. The first fight with Alvarez should’ve been his breakthrough victory, at least according to consensus, but the judges spoiled Golovkin’s day by scoring the hard-fought bout a draw. Fortunately for him, Golovkin has a second shot at Alvarez. If he has his hand raised this time – particularly if he can end the fight inside 12 rounds – he will have the defining victory that has eluded him.

Heavyweight

WHAT DOES AN ALVAREZ VICTORY MEAN?

A victory over Golovkin would go a long way toward vindicating Alvarez, whose reputation took a damaging hit after his failed drug tests and six-month suspension early this year. If he wins, he will have proved to his doubters that he could beat the baddest 160-pounder in the world without the help of performance-enhancing drugs because he is now in the strict Voluntary Anti-Doping Association drug testing program. At the very least, Alvarez bashers will have less ammunition to use against him. The failed drug tests will never go away entirely but the memory of them will fade over time if Alvarez remains in the program and continues to win. And, of course, a victory on Saturday sets up some intriguing possibilities. Alvarez vs. Jacobs? Alvarez vs. Saunders in a title-unification bout? Alvarez vs. Charlo? There would be many big fights and big paydays in the Mexican star’s immediate future.

Heavyweight

WHAT WOULD AN ALVAREZ LOSS MEAN?

If Alvarez loses to Golovkin on Saturday – particularly if he loses badly – his detractors will crow, “He’s a fraud!” They will suggest unfairly that he has been a dirty fighter all along even though he had never failed a drug test before this year. They will say he lost his three biggest fights, once to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and (ignoring the draw) twice to Golovkin. They will say he was never as good as he was billed. The rest of us will have a more measured reaction if Golovkin wins. If Alvarez comes up short in a close fight, he will have lost to the best middleweight of the era. No shame in that. A one-sided or knockout loss would be harder to explain but even that wouldn’t necessarily be disastrous. Again, it’s Golovkin. Alvarez is young. He’ll have more opportunities against first-rate opponents to prove he can win without PEDs. And, win or lose, he almost certainly will retain most of his earning power. That would be a comforting consolation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:22 pm 
Heavyweight

WHAT ELSE IS AT STAKE?

Golovkin will be defending his WBC and WBA middleweight titles. He has held one major title or another since 2014, when the WBA elevated him from what it calls its “regular” champion to “super” champion. Alvarez held the WBC title from November 2015 to May 2016, when he gave it up rather than being forced to face Golovkin at that time. The Golovkin camp also proudly points out that a Triple-G victory would give him 21 consecutive defenses, which would break Bernard Hopkins’ middleweight record of 20. That’s misleading. He made five of his 20 defenses as the “regular” champion, which almost no one recognizes as a major title. Felix Sturm was the WBA’s “super” champion during that period. That means Golovkin has made 15 successful defenses, not 20.  This isn’t a knock on Golovkin; honestly, it isn’t. I just feel it’s important to call the WBA’s “regular” title what it is – bogus. The titles are diluted enough as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
Heavyweight

WHO WINS?

I thought Golovkin was too big and strong for Alvarez going into the first fight but I was proved wrong. Triple-G won the fight, according to consensus, but it certainly wasn’t a mismatch in terms of size; Alvarez took Golovkin’s best shots and kept coming in a close, give-and-take war. I don’t expect anything to be different in the rematch. Golovkin will be the aggressor, jabbing and following with power shots to the head. Alvarez will move and counter, using his speed and superior boxing ability to his advantage. They will land roughly the same number of punches. And I feel the fighters will be equally determined, Golovkin trying to right the wrong of the first decision and Canelo attempting to stick it to his doubters. The difference in the second fight, I believe, will be the scoring. I think Golovkin will do just enough to win but this time he will be rewarded.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
Heavyweight

WHO WINS?

I thought Golovkin was too big and strong for Alvarez going into the first fight but I was proved wrong. Triple-G won the fight, according to consensus, but it certainly wasn’t a mismatch in terms of size; Alvarez took Golovkin’s best shots and kept coming in a close, give-and-take war. I don’t expect anything to be different in the rematch. Golovkin will be the aggressor, jabbing and following with power shots to the head. Alvarez will move and counter, using his speed and superior boxing ability to his advantage. They will land roughly the same number of punches. And I feel the fighters will be equally determined, Golovkin trying to right the wrong of the first decision and Canelo attempting to stick it to his doubters. The difference in the second fight, I believe, will be the scoring. I think Golovkin will do just enough to win but this time he will be rewarded.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 am 
Heavyweight

Canelo-Golovkin Face-Off Erupts at Weigh-In, Quickly Broken Up

By Keith Idec

LAS VEGAS – In an atmosphere befitting the biggest boxing match of the year in the United States, Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin finally faced off Friday afternoon.

Before Friday, the middleweight rivals hadn’t come face-to-face since a press conference nearly seven months ago in Los Angeles. Once they weighed in at T-Mobile Arena, Alvarez and Golovkin didn’t go forehead-to-forehead long because their trainers and others stepped in to separate them.

Golovkin called Alvarez “a clown” when he was interviewed following that scuffle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:29 am 
Heavyweight

For Golovkin, it was a face-off he sought since their rematch was rescheduled for Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena. The WBA/WBC/IBO middleweight champion claimed Alvarez couldn’t look him in the eye because Alvarez feels guilty about failing two performance-enhancing drug tests in February for clenbuterol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:29 am 
Heavyweight

That controversy, which led to Alvarez’s six-month suspension and the cancelation of their May 5 fight, has generated even more interest in their rematch than the 12-round fight that resulted in a dubious draw last September 16 at T-Mobile Arena.

Kazakhstan’s Golovkin, 36, and Mexico’s Alvarez, 28, each made weight for that highly anticipated fight Friday.

Golovkin got on the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s scale at 159½ pounds. Alvarez officially weighed 159¼ pounds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 am 
Heavyweight

The unbeaten Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) is a slight favorite over Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) entering the main event of an HBO Pay-Per-View broadcast. That four-fight show will start at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and costs $84.99 to watch in HD.

The six other fighters that’ll appear in HBO Pay-Per-View bouts Saturday night also made weight Friday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 375  Next