Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377 ... 429  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Media Scores 

Pedro Carneiro of MMABrasil.com.br, 115-113 for Alvarez 

Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, 114-114 Draw 

Associated Press, 114-114 Draw 

LA Times, 114-114 Draw 

Wil Esco of BadLeftHook.com, 114-114 Draw 

Khadrice Rollins of si.com, 114-114 Draw 

Tony Fagnano of MMA-Today.com, 114-114 Draw 

Alexander K. Lee of MMAFighting.com, 114-114 Draw 

Phil Murphy of ESPN, 114-114 Draw 

MMAMania.com, 115-116 for Golovkin 

Mookie Alexander of BloodyElbow.com, 113-115 for Golovkin 

Chris Mannix of Yahoo! Sports, 113-115 for Golovkin 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Seán Sheehan of SevereMMA.com, 113-115 for Golovkin 

Brian Campbell of CBSSports.com, 112-116 Golovkin 

The Guardian, 112-116 for Golovkin 

Nathan McCarter of BleacherReport.com, 112-116 for Golovkin 

Harold Lederman of HBO, 112-116 for Golovkin 

Wesley Riddle of MMASucka.com, 112-116 for Golovkin 

Andreas Hale of Sporting News, 112-116 for Golovkin 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are in advanced talks over a money-spinning rematch in December, according to reports.

The two former pound-for-pound kings met in the richest fight in boxing history back in 2015, when after years of protracted talks Mayweather outpointed his rival in front of a record pay-per-view audience. 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather alone earned around $250million from the fight and 'Money' has since retired, hanging up his gloves after beating Conor McGregor last year. But RING Magazine claim the two fighters are closing in on another Las Vegas showdown, scheduled for later this year. 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Golovkin congratulates Canelo, wants third fight

Gennady Golovkin isn’t raging about the scores from Saturday night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 pm 
Heavyweight

GENNADY GOLOVKIN

“We can say a lot of things tonight, but first of all I want to congratulate Canelo, because he left this building as the champion. I feel like I’m a champion, but he also is a champion. It was a fight of two champions tonight.”

“I felt very comfortable. I think we controlled the fight, all the jabs. Even though he was not running this time, it doesn’t mean he was controlling the fight. We were controlling the fight.”

“As a fighter, as a boxer, I will continue to do my job. I will continue to work to prove that I’m the best.”

“We would like to have a third fight. We will negotiate it. It would be great to have a third fight.”

“I feel fine, I feel great. I have a very small cut where we butted heads, but otherwise I wasn’t hurt. I feel fine.”

“I’m just a fighter. I’m doing my job. How to judge my performance, my work, is not my job. As a fighter, I’m just doing my job inside the ring.”

“As far as I’m concerned, he was not running from me. He wasn’t running at all in this fight. But that doesn’t mean that he won this fight.”

“I don’t think he really demonstrated some super, great Mexican boxing style. Yes, he was not running around this time, but it doesn’t mean that he won this fight. He didn’t do anything special.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 pm 
Heavyweight

ABEL SANCHEZ, Golovkin’s trainer

“We have to congratulate Canelo. Two guys fought a great fight. They gave us their all in the ring. Canelo is the champion today. He deserves it, he fought a great fight.

“Hopefully we can do this again. I think the judges it, what, two points or one round apart? It’s obvious that these two guys can make for great fights. So hopefully they do it again.”

“We appreciate all the support, but we can’t be hypocritical and stand here and complain about every damn decision we lose. Look, the judges were good judges. They saw the fight in Canelo’s favor tonight. Maybe the next time they’ll see it in our favor. But Canelo fought a great fight, you can’t take that away from Canelo.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Bob Arum: HBO and Showtime Don't Belong In Boxing Anymore

By Keith Idec

LAS VEGAS – A few hours before the biggest boxing match of 2018, Bob Arum wasn’t ready to call Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin the last high-profile pay-per-view fight HBO would ever televise.

The outspoken promoter, whose company long prospered from its work with HBO, is still convinced that the premium cable network soon will move away from broadcasting boxing. Arum also suspects Showtime, which has committed more dates and resources to boxing in recent years than its longtime rival, won’t continue airing boxing much longer, either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Speculation intensified during the buildup toward the Alvarez-Golovkin rematch regarding HBO’s future in boxing because their respective promoters revealed that the middleweight stars both would be network free agents after their second bout.

“How can I say?,” Arum told a small group of reporters when asked if he thinks Alvarez-Golovkin would be HBO’s last major pay-per-view event. “What do I know? I’m saying HBO doesn’t belong in boxing, Showtime doesn’t belong in boxing. They’re entertainment networks and I think they’re beginning to realize that. You don’t spend money on an entertainment event that opens and closes the same night.

“You don’t spend money, which they don’t anymore. That’s the key. How many concerts do you see on HBO or Showtime? None. Both of them used to do it. Different philosophy. Now their competition, for both, is one competitor, and that’s Netflix – not schmuck boxing, not ESPN. That’s different.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:05 pm 
Heavyweight

Arum’s company, Top Rank Inc., entered an exclusive television and streaming partnership with ESPN in June 2017. The Hall-of-Fame promoter believes streaming will become boxing fans’ favored method of consuming the sport in the not-too-distant future.

Fans can watch boxing live via Showtime’s streaming app, the same way they can consume ESPN’s boxing programming through the basic cable network’s ESPN+ app. HBO doesn’t offer fans the option of streaming boxing live, but like ESPN and Showtime, subscribers can stream replays through hbogo.com.

Heavyweight

HBO has approximately 32 million subscribers, roughly eight million more than Showtime (24 million). ESPN is available in an estimated 87 million homes in the United States.

HBO has televised 10 live events through its “World Championship Boxing” and “Boxing After Dark” series in 2018, whereas Showtime has aired 18 live events, including “Showtime Championship Boxing” and “ShoBox: The New Generation” broadcasts. As part of its recently announced, seven-year deal with ESPN, Top Rank will at least help produce 54 live boxing events per year through 2025 (18 prime-time cards on ESPN, 12 prime-time shows on ESPN+ and 24 international events on ESPN+).

Heavyweight

“Let’s be honest – look what’s happening,” Arum said. “The premium networks saved boxing. They came in, they paid more than the networks, they took it over and we’ve been living off them for the last 20 years. Right? Their time is over. Why? Because they’re entertainment networks. They make their money on entertainment – on Succession, on Sopranos, on Sex and the City, on Billions. That’s their business. It’s stupid business for them to put money into boxing, where the fight opens and closes the same night. After it’s done, it has no more value to them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 pm 
Heavyweight

“If you put that into a series and that original programming, and that series hits, then you can syndicate it for billions of dollars. HBO now realizes that and you will see, in my opinion, HBO out of boxing. And now with the change at CBS [from former CEO Les Moonves, who resigned recently, to Joseph Ianniello], you’ll see Showtime be out of boxing. But [Al] Haymon has FOX, which belongs in boxing. We have ESPN, which belongs in boxing. And five years from now, the linear platform won’t mean sh*t. Everything will be streaming – everything. Entertainment, sports, everything will be streaming.”

CBS owns Showtime. CBS also purchased BoxingScene.com in June.

Arum admits he wouldn’t have said such things when Top Rank did almost all of its broadcasting business with HBO, which regularly paid seven-figure license fees for fights Top Rank promoted.

“Of course not,” a smiling Arum said. “We all sucked on their t*t.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao Strength and Conditioning Coach Comments On Mayweather vs Pacquiao 2

Niall Doran
The fight itself is still somewhat up in the air however after Mayweather told TMZ earlier this week that he wants a rematch first before taking on Pacquiao in the rematch.

By all accounts, both Mayweather and Pacquiao want this rematch however so expect it to happen at some point.

Pacquiao is currently still in the market for a promoter and new TV or platform at this point of time.

He has said he’s having a fight in December so expect news on the opponent either way in the next week or two.

Fortune was credited with Pacquiao getting into supreme condition last time out for his recent stoppage win over Lucas Matthysse in Malaysia.

Speaking to Villainfy Media, Fortune said on the Mayweather rematch being planned:

“Who knows what’s Floyd’s talking about. Floyd doesn’t even know what Floyd is talking. Who knows? It would be great if it does it’s a good fight, a good TV fight, people will still want to see it and there’s still some ridiculous money for both fighters to be made. So why not?”

He added:

“It would be great if it happens but if it doesn’t happen Manny will fight someone else. Well I mean Manny and Floyd are freaks in their sport so they have not slowed down. Give Floyd a warm up or whatever he wants. These are still top-level fighters who would beat 90 or 95 per cent of the fighters out there. A load of people want to see it, I know Manny wants it. Good money, good sense.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 am 
Heavyweight

Arum Very Interested in Bringing Canelo and Golovkin To ESPN

By Miguel Rivera

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum is going to throw his hat in the race to secure the services of middleweight free agents Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin.

Last Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Canelo (50-1-2, 34 KOs) won a twelve round majority decision over Gennady Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) to capture the WBC, WBA middleweight titles. The judge saw it 114-114, 115-113, 115-113.

The fight was a rematch of their September 2017 contest, which saw the bout end in a controversial twelve round split draw.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377 ... 429  Next