Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417 ... 429  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 am 
Heavyweight

Marvelous Marvin Hagler reigned as the undisputed middleweight champion from 1980 to 1987, making twelve defenses of that title, and currently holds the highestknockout percentage of all undisputed middleweight champions, at 78%, while also holding the second longest unified championship reign in boxing history at twelve consecutive defenses. 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:51 am 
Heavyweight

Many analysts and boxing writers consider Marvin Hagler to have one of the most durable chins in boxing history.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:53 am 
Heavyweight

As an amateur, Joel Casamayor won a gold medal in the bantamweight division at the 1992 Olympics, after which he defected to the United States on the eve of the 1996 Olympics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:07 am 
Heavyweight

Nonito Donaire on victory over Ryan Burnett:

“I know it didn’t come about the way we would want it to, but a victory is a victory,” said the 35-year-old, who was fighting at 118lb for the first time since 2011.

“I feel great, I feel amazing. This tournament makes me feel 20 years younger - Burnett is 26 years old, these guys are fast, they’re strong, it’s something to look forward to.

“Ryan was a tough guy but we felt very comfortable going in there, especially after a couple of rounds. After the [Carl] Frampton fight I realised, you know what, it’s time to go back to where I belong.

“Today you saw how powerful and how fast I can be. There’s going to be much more of that. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what I’m capable of in this division.

“He’s a slick guy, but I know that with my power I can hurt these guys. It’s just a matter of watching, seeing, being patient with it. But I know I can hurt if I land something.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 am 
Heavyweight

Early Results from Mulvane, Kansas

Nikita Ababiy registered his 2nd consecutive 1st round stoppage as he got rid of Javier Rodriguez in their scheduled four-round middleweight bout.

In round one, Ababiy dropped Rodriguez with a hard right hand. Moments later, it was a body shot that was followed by a left that sent Rodriguez down, and the fight was stopped at 1:48.

Ababiy, 159.4 lbs of Brooklyn is 2-0 with two knockouts. Rodriguez, 154 lbs of Nebraska is 3-7-1.

Jeremy Nichols dropped Jeremiah page four times en-route to a first round stoppage in a scheduled six-round super middleweight bout.

In round one, Nichols dropped Page with a body shot. Moments later it was a flurry of punches that sent Page to the canvas. Page was sent down for a third time with a hard over hand right. Seconds later, the fight was finally stopped after a left sent Page down for a 4th a final time at 2:34.

Nichols, 155.4 lbs of Las Vegas is 9-1-1 with three knockouts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am 
Heavyweight

Kerman Lejaarraga stopped former world title challenger Frankie Gavin in round four of their scheduled 12-round bout at Bilbao Exhibition Center in Baraclado, Spain.

In round four, Lejarraga dropped Gavin with a left to the body for the ten-count.

Lejarraga is now 27-0 with 22 knockouts. Gavin of England is 26-4.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am 
Heavyweight

Carlos Ramos stopped Ibon Larrinaga in round seven of their scheduled 10-round featherweight bout.

Ramos hurt Larrinaga several times during the fight, and in round ten, Ramos landed hard blows that forced the corner of Ramos to stop the fight.

Ramos is 10-1 with seven knockouts. Larrinaga is 11-3.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:12 am 
Heavyweight

Roberto Ramirez won an eight-round unanimous decision over Oscar Amador in a super welterweight bout.

Ramirez of Tijuana, Mexico won by scores of 78-72 twice and 79-73 and is now 19-2-1. Amador is 10-9-1.

In round seven, Amador was cut over his left eye from an accidental headbutt.

Heavyweight

Jon Miguez remained undefeated by winning an eight-round unanimous decision over Abdessamad Nechchad in a super welterweight bout.

Miguez won by scores of 78-74 twice and 79-73, and is now 9-0. Nechchad is 8-2-1.

In round five, Nechchad began to swell under his left eye.

Heavyweight

Jorge Fortea won a eight-round decision over Rafael Chiruta in a super welterweight bout.

Fortea is 18-1-1. Chiruta is 15-41-1.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:13 am 
Heavyweight

David Soria won a four-round unanimous decision over David Calvo in a super welterweight contest.

In round two, Soria dropped Calvo with a left hook.

In round four it was a body shot that sent Calvo to the canvas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Hall of Famer and the last undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis would not reveal whom he thinks will win the Wilder-Fury WBC title fight on December 1 in Los Angeles. 

He believes though that Fury cannot apply to Wilder what he did to Wladimir Klitschko when Fury won the heavyweight title in 2015, where he used constant movement to make Klitschko looked stupid from the opening bell up to the end. Fury won by a very convincing unanimous decision that surprised the boxing fans worldwide. 

“Wilder is a different kettle of fish,” Lewis said in BoxingScene. “I don’t think Klitschko expected Tyson Fury to be so active, so elusive in their fight. He didn’t expect Fury to move so much. I think Deontay will be expecting that. And I think he’ll move with him. It’s completely different.” 

“Deontay has a lot of power,” he said. “Anywhere he hits you, you’re going to be concussed. If he can’t knock out Fury, he better be prepared to box. Tyson Fury is fast on his feet, elusive. We’ll see if Deontay can catch up with him." 

“I think it’s a terrific matchup, which is how it’s supposed to be. Heavyweights are gladiators that want to prove they’re the best against the best. In the end, I think Fury will win because of his boxing if it goes the distance. If it’s a short fight, it’s Wilder.” 

Lewis was asked to pick a winner but could not forecast the victor. “My prediction … may the best man win,” he said. “It’s such a hard fight to predict. Both guys have talent and both have power. We’re not going to know what happens until we see the fight.” 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:45 pm 
Heavyweight

World's top heavyweight contender Jarrell Miller (22-0-1, 19 KOs) will return to the ring on November 17 at the Kansas Star Arena. Eddie Hearn is promoting his fight against Bogdan Dinu (18-0, 14 KOs) for the interim WBA-NABA heavyweight title. Miller thinks Deontay Wilder (40-0, 39 KOs) will win over Tyson Fury (27-0, 19 KOs). 

"Man I think Deontay might knock his head off. It is just based on their past fights the past couple years or couple months. Tyson has been fighting guys we never heard of and the WBC is sanctioning the fight for a title. I think it is a little ludicrous," said Miller as told to Boxing Scene. 

Miller wanted to face Wilder the past few years and he doesn't expect the WBC heavyweight champ to have any difficulty fighting with Fury. The British former champion has survived drug and alcohol problems in the past and was inactive for more than two years before making a comeback this year. 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:46 pm 
Heavyweight

Two of the top pound-for-pound fighters of the world, Terence Crawford and Errol Spence, met at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. The two boxers are demanded by fans to come to a much-sought unification match. 

Spence and Crawford were both at ringside to watch WBO junior welterweight champion Maurice Hooker score a TKO win over Alex Saucedo. They talked for a few minutes, with both fighters expressing their interest to fight each other. 

Spence (24-0, 21 KOs) successfully defended his IBF welterweight title last June with a first round demolition of Carlos Ocampo. Mikey Garcia will move up two weight classes from lightweight to challenge Spence on March 16 on a pay-per-view event at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. 

Their respective promotional outfits will become hindrances to the realization of the fight. Crawford's promoter, Top Rank, has an exclusive contract with ESPN. while Spence's promoter, Premier Boxing Champions, has an exclusive deal with Showtime and Fox Sports.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Big-time boxing has landed in Kansas thanks to Nico Hernandez – and the local star will prove tonight that he was born to perform on the biggest stage when he faces Josue Morales in his sixth pro outing at the Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane, KS, live on DAZN.

Tickets are on sale now from ticketmaster.com starting at just $25! Click here to book!

Hernandez became a household name in his home state after landing bronze in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, and after turning pro, he’s raced to 5-0 with four wins inside the distance.

The Wichita native has drawn big crowds in all those fights, and that caught the eye of Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn, who decided to move tonight’s card from Atlantic City to Kansas to shine a spotlight on the 22 year old.

Hernandez insists that he won’t be fazed by being part of a bill that includes his Rio teammate Claressa Shields – as the big stage is exactly where the Flyweight talent belongs.

“Kansas has never seen anything like this before,” said Hernandez, who weighed 112.4lbs, with Morales scaling 113lbs. “There is pressure, but not really. Everyone is coming to watch me do my thing and all I’ve got to do is perform like I always do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417 ... 429  Next