Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 235  Next
 Post subject: BOXING THE NO. 1 SPORT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:48 am 
Heavyweight

Boxing is a martial art and combat sport in which two people wearing protective glovesthrow punches at each other for a predetermined set of time in a boxing ring.

Amateur boxing is both an Olympic andCommonwealth sport and is a common fixture in most international games—it also has its own World Championships. Boxing is supervised by a referee over a series of one- to three-minute intervals called rounds. The result is decided when an opponent is deemed incapable to continue by a referee, is disqualified for breaking a rule, resigns bythrowing in a towel, or is pronounced the winner or loser based on the judges' scorecards at the end of the contest. In the event that both fighters gain equal scores from the judges, the fight is considered a draw (professional boxing). In Olympic boxing, due to the fact that a winner must be declared, in the case of a draw - the judges use technical criteria to choose the most deserving winner of the bout.

While people have fought in hand-to-hand combat since before the dawn of history, the origin of boxing as an organized sport may be its acceptance by the ancient Greeks as anOlympic game in BC 688. Boxing evolved from 16th- and 18th-century prizefights, largely in Great Britain, to the forerunner of modern boxing in the mid-19th century, again initially in Great Britain and later in the United States.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:56 am 
Heavyweight

Boxing was a popular spectator sport in Ancient Rome. In order for the fighters to protect themselves against their opponents they wrapped leather thongs around their fists. Eventually harder leather was used and the thong soon became a weapon. The Romans even introduced metal studs to the thongs to make the cestus which then led to a more sinister weapon called the myrmex ('limb piercer').  Fighting events were held at Roman Amphitheatres. The Roman form of boxing was often a fight until death to please the spectators who gathered at such events. However, especially in later times, purchased slaves and trained combat performers were valuable commodities, and their lives were not given up without due consideration. Often slaves were used against one another in a circle marked on the floor. This is where the term ring came from. In AD 393, during the Roman gladiator period, boxing was abolished due to excessive brutality. It was not until the late 17th century that boxing re-surfaced in London.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:59 am 
Heavyweight

The first boxing rules, called the Broughton's rules, were introduced by champion Jack Broughton in 1743 to protect fighters in the ring where deaths sometimes occurred.[4]Under these rules, if a man went down and could not continue after a count of 30 seconds, the fight was over. Hitting a downed fighter and grasping below the waist were prohibited. Broughton encouraged the use of 'mufflers', a form of padded bandage or mitten, to be used in 'jousting' or sparring sessions in training, and in exhibition matches.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:04 am 
Heavyweight

These rules did allow the fighters an advantage not enjoyed by today's boxers; they permitted the fighter to drop to one knee to end the round and begin the 30-second count at any time. Thus a fighter realizing he was in trouble had an opportunity to recover. However, this was considered "unmanly" and was frequently disallowed by additional rules negotiated by the Seconds of the Boxers. In modern boxing, there is a three-minute limit to rounds (unlike the downed fighter ends the round rule). Intentionally going down in modern boxing will cause the recovering fighter to lose points in the scoring system. Furthermore, as the contestants did not have heavy leather gloves and wristwraps to protect their hands, they used different punching technique to preserve their hands, because the head was a common target to hit full out. Almost all period manuals have powerful straight punches with the whole body behind them to the face (including forehead) as the basic blows.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:17 am 
Heavyweight

Marquess of Queensberry rules (1867)

In 1867, the Marquess of Queensberry ruleswere drafted by John Chambers for amateur championships held at Lillie Bridge in London for Lightweights, Middleweights andHeavyweights. The rules were published under the patronage of the Marquess of Queensberry, whose name has always been associated with them.

There were twelve rules in all, and they specified that fights should be "a fair stand-up boxing match" in a 24-foot-square or similar ring. Rounds were three minutes with one-minute rest intervals between rounds. Each fighter was given a ten-second count if he was knocked down, and wrestling was banned. The introduction of gloves of "fair-size" also changed the nature of the bouts. An average pair of boxing gloves resembles a bloated pair of mittens and are laced up around the wrists. The gloves can be used to block an opponent's blows. As a result of their introduction, bouts became longer and more strategic with greater importance attached to defensive maneuvers such as slipping, bobbing, countering and angling. Because less defensive emphasis was placed on the use of the forearms and more on the gloves, the classical forearms outwards, torso leaning back stance of the bare knuckle boxer was modified to a more modern stance in which the torso is tilted forward and the hands are held closer to the face.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:04 am 
Heavyweight

Vargas Confident: I Really Think I'm Knocking Manny Pacquiao Out!
By Miguel Rivera

WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10KOs) is confident of scoring a knockout victory on November 5th at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas - when he faces eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38KOs).

Pacquiao retired back in April, when he decisioned Timothy Bradley over twelve rounds at the MGM Grand. Vargas captured the vacant welterweight belt back in March, after knocking out unbeaten Olympian Sadam Ali.

Vargas wants to continue his run with yet another knockout by blasting out Pacquiao into retirement. Because of Pacquiao's big name and the possibility of a mega-fight rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2017, Vargas wants to leave no doubt by scoring a knockout victory or dominating Pacquiao in very clear fashion. "I will look for the knockout. I know the risks I have... what I mean is that Manny has a name, and I have to beat him clearly or knock him out. I won by knockout in my last fight and I will surely do this again... you have to win round per round and then knock him out, and I really think I will do that with the team I have - because I felt stronger for my last fight," Vargas told ESPN Deportes. "Pacquao is a fighter with a lot of experience, he's very good. I have to be smart, my style is to attack, but I'm not rough. I will use my intelligence, prepare my attacks, compete with speed and take advantage of my reach. I will be taller and stronger." "Actually we are working on a little of everything, focusing on my style, how my style can affect Pacquiao, adjusting the speed.... taking a bit of Erik Morales, Marco Barrera, but adjusting my style - and I'm not taking as much from Juan Manuel Marquez or Floyd Mayweather, but we are also looking at [their performances against Pacquiao]."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:27 am 
Heavyweight

Through the late nineteenth century, the martial art of boxing or prizefighting was primarily a sport of dubious legitimacy. Outlawed in England and much of the United States, prizefights were often held at gambling venues and broken up by police. Brawling and wrestling tactics continued, and riots at prizefights were common occurrences. Still, throughout this period, there arose some notable bare knuckle champions who developed fairly sophisticated fighting tactics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am 
Heavyweight

Mayweather back in training
By Allan Fox

Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. is back in training and it has a lot of boxing fans wondering whether he’ll soon be announcing his comeback to see win No.50. Mayweather, 39, posted an Instagram message on Thursday, showing him working out in front of his large entourage.

While it might not mean anything that Mayweather is working out, the fact that he chose to put the workout on his Instagram has many people feeling that he could be looking to return to the ring soon to continue his career.

If Mayweather does decide to comeback, the question is who will he be facing? He’s got a number of potential options available to him like Adrien Broner, Manny Pacquiao, Saul Canelo Alvarez, Danny Garcia or UFC star Conor McGregor. If Mayweather wants the big money, he’ll need to focus on Pacquiao, Canelo or McGregor.

A fight against Broner or Danny Garcia won’t likely bring in a lot of PPV buys. Of course, if one of the networks is willing to just give Mayweather a huge guarantee regardless of the number of PPV buys he brings in for his fight, I could see him fighting someone like Broner or Garcia.

A second fight against Pacquiao might not attract a lot of interest though, because many boxing fans felt like they got a bad deal last year when the two of them went through the motions for 12 rounds instead of giving it their all. It was a bad fight and was a very, very expensive fight for the fans to purchase on pay-per-view and to see it live.

Mayweather and Pacquiao looked like they didn’t care whether they put in a great performance or not. I think it might be too late for Mayweather and Pacquiao to get fans interested in a second fight between them at this point. It might be better off for Mayweather to look in another direction for his next fight rather than going down the same path for another Pacquiao fight.

With Mayweather working out, he seems to be sending a message to his fans that he’s gearing up for a comeback. Is this reaction from Mayweather in response to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya saying this week that his golden fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has already replaced Mayweather as the No.1 fighter in boxing, or is this a reaction from Mayweather from the six million viewers that unbeaten welterweight contender Errol Spence Jr. drew for his last fight against Leonard Bundu last Sunday. It could be one or both of those things.

“How far are you wiling to push yourself to get to the top and stay on top?” said Mayweather.

It’s thought that if Mayweather is going to be coming out of retirement, he’s going to need to do it REAL soon, because the longer he waits the less chance he has of getting the big payday that he wants. In boxing the phrase ‘out of sight out of mind’ comes in to play.

If you’re not in staying in the public’s eye by being active, then the fans forget about you and find someone else to rally behind. If you decide to come back later, the fans have already moved on and forgotten you. If Mayweather wants to continue to scoop up a lot of money for his fights, he has to come back soon. Mayweather hasn’t fought since last September when he beat Andre Berto by a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The fight was televised on Showtime pay-per-view.

Mayweather is about to turn 40-years-old, and he clearly needs to return to the ring soon if he wants to take advantage of his youth or what’s left of it. Mayweather’s birthday is in February.

In the video that Mayweather posted of him jumping rope, he looks in excellent shape like he did 11 months ago when he beat Berto. It was an easy win for Mayweather in that fight in beating a good fighter without even exerting himself.

If Mayweather is going to return to the ring in 2017, then he needs to make an announcement as soon as possible so that he can start a long campaign to drum up interest from the boxing community for his attempt to get victory No.50. It wouldn’t hurt if Mayweather picked out someone that has a good chance of beating him like Gennady Golovkin.

I don’t think fans will purchase a second fight between Mayweather and Canelo, because they already saw Mayweather easily beat Canelo by a one-sided 12 round decision in 2013, and there’s nothing to indicate that a rematch would be any different. The fight was too one-sided to make one think that Canelo could do anything different the second time around to get the win. Fans would pay to see Mayweather fight Golovkin, because they would figure that Mayweather would lose to him. Fans would want to see the fight just for the pleasure of seeing Mayweather lose to the first time. I think for that reason, Mayweather vs. Golovkin would bring in big PPV numbers. Mayweather can’t get those same PPV numbers against over-matched guys like Canelo, Pacquiao, Garcia, Terence Crawford or Broner.

Mayweather has been playing it safe for too long of a time. The last real fight where there was a possibility of Mayweather losing was against Canelo three years ago. The fans don’t want to see safety first fights where they know absolutely that Mayweather is going to win the fight. They want to see situations where Mayweather has a chance of being knocked cold by a guy like Golovkin. That’s why I think Mayweather needs to give the fans what they want to see by agreeing to fight Golovkin at 154. If Mayweather loses, then so be it. At least he tried. If he wins, he’ll be seen as a hero.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:45 am 
Heavyweight

Floyd is back for a 50th win!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:53 am 
Heavyweight

Back in training!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Exclusive: Canelo ‘would love to fight Pacquiao’ - predicts Mayweather return
PHIL D JAY

Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez spoke to WBN during media duties this week to confirm a future fight with Manny Pacquiao is high on his list of potential match-ups.

The former two-weight world champion also stated that he expects Floyd Mayweather to fight for the 50th time as a professional in the future as the 26 year-old prepares for his clash with Liam Smith on September 17.

“Oh I think Floyd Mayweather will fight again. Mayweather thrives in the spotlight so much it will happen,” Canelo exclusively told World Boxing News.

On a potential fight with the newly-elected Filipino Senator, Canelo added: “I would love to fight Manny Pacquiao but that's looking ahead and disrespectful to Liam Smith.

“Liam Smith is a world champion and a very tough fighter. He’s a tough guy and I'm challenging him. He's the champion and a worthy one,” he said.

Canelo’s only career defeat came against Mayweather in 2013 as the Jalisco native prepares to reach his own half century of fights at Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas next month.

A rematch has been touted as one of the only current tests on offer for Mayweather as Canelo was only a fresh-faced 22 at the time of the first fight and has filled out considerably since then.

In regards to Pacquiao, the weight could be a sticking point as the ‘Pacman’ is known to be hovering around 140-147 pounds in the twilight of his career.

It seems highly unlikely that Canelo could get much lower than 154 pounds and Pacquiao has already stated that a move back up to super-welterweight is not in his plans. If the money was right, I'm sure Pacquiao and Canelo would be able to come to an amicable agreement for the scaling.

Pacquiao, 37, is due to challenge Jessie Vargas for the welterweight world title on November 5 after initially announcing his retirement when out-pointing Timothy Bradley convincingly last April.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:48 pm 
Heavyweight

Golovkin's Coach: We'd Fight Andre Ward, But He Can't Make 168

By Radio Rahim

According to Abel Sanchez, trainer of WBC/IBO/WBA/IBF middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (35-0, 32KOs), they would have no issue with fighting Andre Ward (30-0, 15KOs) at the super middleweight limit of 168-pounds.

Golovkin returns to the ring on September 10th at the O2 Arena in London, where he defends his titles against IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook. Ward will take part in the most dangerous fight of his career on November 19th, when he challenges IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The two sides had some minor discussions last year, but they never went anywhere.  Ward's side is adamant that Golovkin and his team walked away from the fight and demanded a catch-weight of 164-pounds. Sanchez denies that claim, stating that there were never any negotiations. Sanchez is picking Kovalev to beat Ward - and believes a loss would likely make Ward much easier to deal with in negotiations. Ward was demanding a 50-50 split - and Golovkin's handlers believes they were entitled to a bigger piece of the pie.

"If Andre gets beat, then he's not on that high pedestal anymore in his own mind. He might come down [with his monetary demands] in negotiations and then there could be negotiations to make a fight. There comes a point where you think so much of  yourself where it's tough to deal with you, so the fights don't get made," Sanchez told BoxingScene.com. However, Sanchez believes the fight will never happen - at least in the near future - because Ward recently revealed that he'll never be physically capable of making 168 again - and even said it's not entirely easy for him to get down to his new division limit of 175.

Ward officially moved up to 175 in March of this year. "Andre just stated publicly, a couple of weeks ago, that it's impossible for him to make 168 and that's why he moved up to 175. He even said that it's hard for him to make 175," Sanchez said.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:17 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather: Same questions over and over, I’m not coming back!
PHIL D JAY  

Pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. has once again stated his desire to remain retired from boxing despite consistent reports the American will return at some point in the future.

The 39 year-old has been out of action almost a year now since beating Andre Berto in a farewell clash, although ex-opponent Canelo recently told WBN he believes Mayweather will make a comeback.

‘Money’ was adamant this wasn’t the case though and says he just wants to support his own stable of fighters in his role as head of Mayweather Promotions.

"That's old. I like to leave stuff that's old in the past and move on. “They ask me the same questions a thousand times and I say that I'm not coming back. They ask me the same questions over and over and over again. I just want to help these young fighters. That's what it's all about," Mayeather told reporters including Fighthype.com and Elie Seckbach in the dressing room after protégé Danny Gonzalez won his debut on Saturday night.

“I had a good run, a nineteen-year run and was world champion so I had a good run.

“I just want to keep helping fighters. Young fighters grow and let’s get them to that next level,” he added.

Mayweather will drop out of the World Boxing News P4P rankings in just two weeks’ time once fights involving Roman Gonzalez and Gennady Golovkin are completed on September 10, with one of the two HBO stars in line for the throne.

Should the former Olympian stick to his word as promised, he will remain level with Rocky Marciano on 49-0 and will have no need to use the TBE 50 and TMT 50 trademarks Mayweather purchased earlier this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Amir Khan vs Danny Garcia rematch in 2017? Manny Pacquiao, McGregor also possibilities
Mark F. Villanueva
August 28, 2016

Amir Khan has been calling out fighters ranging from Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather to UFC’s Conor McGregor, but decides to take the year off in preparation for a busy 2017 schedule.

When Amir Khan decided to move up two weight divisions to fight Canelo Alvarez boxing fans thought he was completely out of his mind, merely fighting for money without taking safety precautions seriously.

He was reported to have earned around $13 million in a fight where he ended up knocked out senseless. Part of the agreement of him moving up was that he’d remain the main challenger at welterweight for Danny Garcia’s WBC belt.

According to a report by Sky Sports, Amir Khan said, “Want to be back in the ring around January. Big fights next year. Who do you think? I’ll be ready. #147lbs January, May, December. #3fights #2017.”

One of the most compelling match ups that could be made in his return would be a rematch against Danny Garcia.

Amir Khan gave Danny Garcia serious trouble with his speed when they first fought in 2012. Khan was a heavy favorite under the tutelage of Freddie Roach until he got countered hard in the third off a missed punch.

He came back bravely albeit on rubbery legs, and got finished off in the fourth. He’s been scrambling for a rematch since.

Danny Garcia had problems disposing an old Erik Morales in their first meeting who openly taunted him, but was able to follow through it with tremendous victories over Khan and Lucas Matthysse.

Garcia had a tough win against a relative unknown Mauricio Herrera and barely survived Lamont Peterson’s challenge.

If a rematch happens, many believe Amir Khan could still win it, as he initially showed in their first fight, as long as he implements a more balanced, or, defense-oriented game plan and sticks to it to the end.

However, Robert Guerrero, who lost to the undefeated Garcia is also calling for a rematch according to a report by WBN.

“I feel like I won the fight. He had some flashy shots but he didn’t want to fight. It is what it is and it motivates me to get back to that position.” Robert Guerrero said.

Amir Khan remains a possible opponent against Manny Pacquiao, or even Floyd Mayweather who’s hinted on a possible return if the money is right.

Outside boxing, he seems serious in challenging Conor McGregor under MMA rules, which many view as a dangerous and ridiculous decision.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 am 
Heavyweight

Parades set to honor Olympic medalists Stevenson, Hernandez

Aug 27, 2016

Dan Rafael ESPN Senior Writer

Bantamweight Shakur Stevenson and light flyweight Nico Hernandez, the two American men’s boxers to win medals at the just-completed Rio de Janeiro Olympics, will be honored for their achievements with parades in their hometowns this weekend.

Stevenson, who is 19, claimed a silver medal, the best finish for an American man since Andre Ward -- his favorite fighter -- won the light heavyweight gold medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

A parade in his honor is scheduled to take place in his hometown of Newark, New Jersey, on Sunday beginning at noon. The parade will conclude at city hall with Stevenson being presented with a key to the city by Mayor Ras J. Baraka at 1 p.m. ET.

Stevenson, who is 25-1 in international competition, was dazzling in his two Olympic victories before losing a razor-close split decision in the final to Cuba’s Robeisy Ramirez, who won his second gold medal in a row, having won the flyweight tournament four years ago in the London Games.

Hernandez, 20, will be feted in his hometown of Wichita, Kansas, with a parade on Saturday beginning at 10 a.m. CT. It is scheduled to conclude with a celebration in the gymnasium at North High School, where Hernandez graduated in 2014.

“We are excited about Nico’s success at the Olympics and his future,” said city council member Janet Miller. “We want to give the community an opportunity to come together to celebrate Nico and thank him for representing the United States and Wichita at the Rio Olympics.”

Hernandez won three Olympic matches and secured a bronze medal, the first Olympic medal of any kind for an American man since heavyweight Deontay Wilder also claimed bronze in 2008. The 2012 team was shut out for the first time in American men's Olympic history. Hernandez lost a competitive bout in the semifinals to eventual gold medalist and Val Barker Trophy winner Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan.

Two-time Olympic women’s middleweight gold medalist Claressa Shields, 21, who was awarded the women’s Val Barker Trophy for the Olympics’ most outstanding boxer, enjoyed a hero’s welcome back to her hometown of Flint, Michigan on Tuesday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 235  Next