Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:07 pm 
Heavyweight

CONGRATS JERWN ANCAJAS!

NEW IBF WORLD JUNIOR BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPION

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Image Image

Image Image

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:50 pm 
Heavyweight

MARLON TAPALES
WBO world bantamweight champion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez: Is 5th fight on tap?Written by Joseph Herron at Sep 04, 2016 - 03:32PM ET in News 

It's become common knowledge throughout the boxing community that eight division world titlist Manny Pacquiao wants another shot at Floyd Mayweather's undefeated record before he hangs up the gloves for good.

But what hasn't been as widely publicized is the fact that the Pacman still believes he has unfinished business with longtime Mexican nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez.

According to Marquez's strength and conditioning coach, Angel "Memo" Heredia, the 37 year old Philippines Senator and his Hall of Fame trainer, Freddie Roach, would love to the opportunity to avenge the brutal KO loss delivered by the Mexican fight legend.

"I told Freddie the other day, 'Hey, what about Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez 5?' You should have seen Freddie," the controversial fitness guru recently told FightHype.com.

"He started to get really excited about it because he still wants the fight. He told me that Manny would take that fight in a minute...he would take it right away! They both still want that fight!"

Back in 2014, Arum and company made an offer to JMM for an epic fifth meeting with Manny Pacquiao, to potentially be held in Macau, China. Unfortunately for Team Pacquiao, the 43 year old Mexican great requested a respectively unprecedented payday of $20 million, which consequently soured the deal.

Freddie Roach stated back in June of 2014, that his fighter and Bob Arum would have been willing to make the fight a reality if Juan would have been happy with $10 million, which would have still been a career high payday for JMM.

Regrettably for Manny, it seems the semi-retired four division world champion has inflated his price-tag since then.

"I told Marquez about it," stated Memo Heredia. 

"Juan said that he had already accomplished what he wanted to accomplish with Manny Pacquiao. I said, 'what if they offered you $30 million for another Pacquiao fight?' He said, 'well...let's just see what happens.' So you never know."

While many die-hard fight fans would undoubtedly complain about a fifth meeting between the two ring legends, Heredia believes a majority would ultimately endorse "Pacquiao vs. Marquez 5".

"People would say, 'why are we watching this fight again?' They would complain about it initially, but I guarantee you everyone would buy another fight between Pacquiao and Marquez. Because of how exciting the last fight was and how it ended...yeah, everyone would pay to see them fight again."

"It's a good fight. It's a show. They (Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez) don't play...they don't run. They always come to fight. They're two great fighters and arguably two of the best ever."

Pacquiao is currently slated to face current WBO Welterweight champion Jessie Vargas on November 5th in Las Vegas, Nevada. Should the Pacman win the 147 pound world title once again this Fall, he would hold the one thing missing from JMM's illustrious career...a Welterweight championship and a Mexican record of five world titles in five different divisions.

But would it be enough to bait Juan Manuel Marquez out of retirement?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:54 am 
Heavyweight

Donnie Nietes: Jr flyweight is done. I want more titles

By Miguel Maravilla

Longest-reigning Filipino world champion, former WBO super champion, and former WBO jr. flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes spoke to reporters on Tuesday at the Maximo Room of Max’s Restaurant in Glendale, California. Nietes faces former champion Edgar Sosa on September 24 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

“This upcoming fight will be my first at at flyweight against Edgar Sosa,” said Nietes. “I feel comfortable at this weight and I am excited. I’ve been training since June. I’m comfortable at this weight. I already have speed. We’ll focus more on power because I’m moving up in weight.”

“Sosa is a good boxer. He’s a former world champion and is the WBC #4 ranked fighter. He’s tough but I’m ready for this fight. Watching Sosa he moves good and comes in and out.”

“I was happy becoming champion. I always trained hard to become the fighter that I am. My focus is Sosa but I want other champions. Junior flyweight is done. I want more titles.”

“I want to show you a good Donnie Nietes to prove I deserve a shot at the best and fight the best.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao denies report that he's broke

Pacquiao dismisses claims that he badly needs money after winning a senatorial seat in the Philippine elections last May

Nissi Icasiano

MANILA, Philippines – There are many speculations as to why Manny Pacquiao decided to end his brief retirement from boxing and wear his 8-ounce gloves again, including a report that he is encountering financial challenges.

In an interview with PhilBoxing.com, Pacquiao dismissed claims that he badly needed money after winning a senatorial seat in the recently-concluded Philippine elections last May.

"I've been fighting for the past 21 years and recipient of so many of what I consider as 'jokes' perhaps, to disarm me every time na lalaban ako (I will fight). But, I'll tell you,itong birong ito ang pinaka-nakatatawa at nakaiinis (this joke that I'm broke is the funniest and most annoying)," he said.

Pacquiao cited his value of nearly P4 billion as proof that he has not lost a large amount of money in his bank account. In his Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALN) for 2015, Pacquiao had declared a net worth of P3.27 billion.

"Me, broke? Come on. Last year lang, as member of the Lower House, I was adjudged as the richest congressman based on SALN I filed for year 2015," he said.

"How can that happen? Nagastos ko na lahat ang halos P4 bilyon na kinita ko sa panahon ng pagbo-boksing ko (They mean I spent the almost P4 billion I earned from boxing?)"

The 37-year-old southpaw from General Santos City will be stepping into the ring to challenge Jessie Vargas for the WBO welterweight championship on November 5.

Pacquiao, who is known for his rags-to-riches journey, disclosed that he has a sufficient sum of money to secure his family's future.

"All of my wealth, of course, came from boxing," he said. "Truth is, and I'm not bragging, sa mga kinita ko at ng mga negosyo, hindi na kami magugutom sa mga nalalabi pa ng buhay namin (with all my earnings and businesses, my family and I will not go hungry for the rest of our lives)."

Boxing's only 8-division world champion stressed that the sport is his primary source of income and that he uses part of his fight purse to lend a helping hand to his countrymen.

"As a congressman, everybody must have already known that I have been helping so many of my constituents in their needs, most of them financial assistance, out of my own pocket," Pacquiao said.

Pacquiao considers boxing his passion and does not see any conflict between the sport and politics as long as he divides his attention evenly.

"I told myself, puwede namang pagsabayin(it's possible to do both at the same time). Boxing and government service. Patuloy akong makakapagpaligaya ng mga tao sa pamamagitan ng boksing (I will continue to give joy through boxing). And at the same time, continue serving humanity," he explained. – Rappler.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 am 
Heavyweight

BOXING NEWS 24

Liam Smith could beat Canelo, says Roach
Posted on September 4, 2016
By Dan Ambrose

Golden Boy Promotions’ flagship fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) could taste defeat at the hands of unbeaten WBO junior middleweight champion Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) on September 17, according to trainer Freddie Roach. He’s had the 27-year-old Smith over to his Wildcard Gym in Los Angeles, California, and he was very impressed with what he saw of the British fighter.

Roach is now a fan of Smith, and he believes he could beat the 26-year-old Canelo, and he wouldn’t call it an upset if that happens. Roach sees the fight as a very even one in his opinion. That shows you how highly Roach values Smith’s skills, power and toughness. He thinks he’s got the goods to potentially give Canelo his second loss of his pro career.

“Liam Smith is a solid guy,” said Roach to Fighthub.com. “He can win that fight [against Canelo]. Liam Smith is a tough, tough guy. Don’t underestimate him. He’s solid. He’s a tough guy.”

What Roach didn’t touch on was the crowd being fully behind Canelo at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The boxing fans are going to be cheering everything that Canelo does, and this ould very well influence the judges’ scores for the fight.

We’ve seen how the judges have come up with odd scores in favor of Canelo in his past fights against Floyd Mayweather Jr, Austin Trout and Erislandy Lara. One judge had the Mayweather-Canelo fight a draw. The judges that gave Canelo a win over Lara appeared to be seeing a different fight than the one that many boxing fans saw on the night, beause they had Lara winning the contest.

In the Canelo-Trout fight, two of the judges gave the fight to Canelo by wide scores despite the fight appearing to be a draw. What this suggests is that it’s very hard to beat a popular fighter like Canelo. You have to do more than beat him. You have to dominate him so badly that there’s no chance of weird scoring by the judges. The judges likely listen to the cheering from the fans at ringside and unconsciously score rounds for Canelo even in rounds where he’s struggling.

When asked what Smith needs to do for him to beat Canelo on September 17, Roach said, “Go to war and be able to take a punch. So far, he’s always done that. He’s very tough and good chin. It’s a great fight. I like that fight. I’ll pay for that one,” said Roach.

If Smith can take Canelo’s big punches and answer back with his own very hard shots, Canelo could be in for the toughest fight in a long time. Canelo will likely have a considerable weight advantage against Smith, especially if he rehydrates into the 180s like some boxing fans think he does. We don’t know exactly how much Canelo weighs nowadays because he hasn’t been weighed lately by HBO on the night of his fights. But if Canelo dehydrating from the 180s to get down to 154 for the fight against Smith, then he might get tired if Smith is able to put enough pressure on him to make him feel the effects of having shifted that much weight in 24 hours. Losing a ton of water weight to make weight is really hard on anybody.

Canelo gets away with it because he’s young and he fights at a slow pace. No one puts enough pressure on him to get him tired. James Kirkland had Canelo looking winded in the 2nd round of their fight. Had Kirkland been able to take Canelo’s power shots in round three, he might have had a chance of wearing him down to get a knockout. But it was a mismatch anyway, because Kirkland hadn’t fought since 2013 for two years, and had lost a lot of weight to take the fight. It was perfect match-making by Golden Boy to select inactive fighter that had gained a lot of weight while out of the ring.

I think Smith recognizes that he’s got to go to war with Canelo, throw a lot of punches, and not let him rest for even a second. Smith knows that he’s got to pressure Canelo in every round of the fight for him to have a chance to win. When Canelo doesn’t get his rest breaks in each round, he tires out and struggles. We saw how Mayweather was able to pressure Canelo for the first eight rounds of their fight in 2013 to build up a huge lead.

Mayweather then backed off in the last four rounds and coasted to a victory. Perhaps if it wasn’t a fighter as popular as Mayweather, he might have lost the fight if they tried the same tactic as him.

if Smith can take Canelo to war and take his best shots, he’ll have a chance of pulling off an upset. Even when you look bad at Canelo’s fights against over-matched smaller guys like Shane Mosley, he seemed bothered when he had to take shots and fight hard. He didn’t like the experience. Against Austin Trout, Canelo simply couldn’t handle the fast pace of the fight and he retreated to the ropes and stayed there the entire second half of the fight.

My guess is we’ll see the same thing from Canelo when he fights Smith if the fight goes into the second half and Canelo is uncomfortable with the fast pace. He needs the pace to be slow for him to do well, and if Smith isn’t abiding with that style of fighting, then Canelo will likely do what he did in the past by retreating to the ropes.

Smith will need to follow after him and pressure him against the ropes for the entire fight to make sure he wins. It would be best for Smith to aim shots at Canelo’s bread basket to make sure he hits him in an area where he can cause him the most problems. Canelo can take head shots all night long, but he seems bothered when he gets hit to the body.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather To Return, Face Gennady Golovkin?

Retired undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather is rumored to be returning to the boxing ring for a possible fight against Kazakh knockout artist Gennady Golovkin.

By Miguel Torres 

Retired undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather is rumored to be returning to the boxing ring for a possible fight against Kazakh knockout artist Gennady Golovkin.

"Money May" has been linked to "GGG" for quite a while now, particularly after his win over long-time on-paper rival Manny Pacquiao in May 2015. After finally ending the debate about who the "Greatest Fighter of this Era" really is by soundly beating the Filipino boxing icon via unanimous decision, Mayweather has been pitted against Golovkin, a natural middleweight.

In May 2015, Mayweather's father Floyd Sr. already dismissed the idea of the possible fight, noting that Golovkin should go down to 154 pounds to make the match-up come to fruition.

"GGG, hey, if GGG can make weight, that would be different, but -- no, no, we not fixin' to fight no damn giant," Mayweather toldPBInsider. "I'm gonna tell you like this right here. He comes down, he be at 154, by the time he eats and fight that night, maybe 180, you just don't know, man."

Mayweather had already fought close 154-pounds in a catchweight bout against Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013. With the fight held at 152-pounds, Mayweather ended up winning by unanimous decision, dealing Alvarez his first and only career loss.

For his part, Golovkin recently had his own potential super fight scrapped, when the supposed bout against Alvarez fell through. Instead, he will be facing welterweight champion Kell Brook on Saturday in England. But as far as fighting Mayweather goes, the 34-year-old boxer is still open to the idea.

"For me, not the biggest name. But he's champion, he's undefeated and I respect him," Golovkin told ESNews via Fight Saga. "For me every step is bigger and bigger."

Mayweather last faced former world champion Andre Berto in September 2015, and won via unanimous decision. After which, he announced his retirement, leaving the sport with a record of 49-0, with 26 wins by knockout.

Like Mayweather, Golovkin also holds an unblemished win-loss slate of 35-0 with 32 wins by knockout. The Kazakh superstar won by knockout in his last 23 fights.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao leaves for US, vows to return in time for Senate session

Philippine Daily InquirerBy: Tarra Quismundo, September 7th, 2016 06:01 PM

Manny Pacquiao during a top-level meeting with Philippine sports officials. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQURER.net

Sen. Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday reaffirmed his vow to never miss a Senate session even while he is training for his comeback fight set on Nov. 5 in Las Vegas.

This as he left Manila Wednesday night for a press tour in Los Angeles after attending the last Senate session for the week. He is due to attend to the promotional tour from Sept. 8 to 10 to drum up his bout against WBO Welterweight champion Jessie Vargas.

“I’ll see you on Tuesday,” Pacquiao told reporters Wednesday.

The Pacquiao-Vargas fight was firmed up in August, when the Filipino boxer-turned-legislator met with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum in Manila after weeks of being coy about his possible return fight. He promised that the bout and preparations it entails won’t disrupt his legislative work.

“I will be back. I’ll just stay there for two days, because I cannot be absent here. There’s a lot of work to do,” the junior Senator said.

Pacquiao has been squeezing in training while attending Senate committee hearings, sessions and other official functions.

He said he goes on daily runs around his neighborhood in Makati City early in the morning, before proceeding to the Senate before 9 a.m., bringing along with him the boxing gear he would need for his night training.

After the Senate session, he proceeds to a nearby gym to continue training for around two hours.

“After jogging, I dress up then go to attend committee meetings, the session, and then go to training again. So you really need discipline to manage your time,” he said.

He usually gets home at 9 p.m.

Pacquiao even finds time to take his wife Jinkee on dates: on Tuesday, he posted a snap of their dinner on Instagram with the caption “Date with my wife after training.”

“We went to dinner… [couples] need that. You really have to make time for each other,” said Pacquiao.

Pacquiao has not missed a Senate session and has been actively participating in committee hearings and Senate inquiries, bent on making good his promise to turn around his dismal record as an absentee lawmaker during his time as Sarangani Representative.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:03 am 
Heavyweight

Donnie "Ahas" Nietes, Mark "Magnifico" Magsayo and "King" Arthur Villanueva in Philippines vs. Mexico, September 24 2016 at Stubhub Center, Carson, California.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Photos: Manny Pacquiao Hits Los Angeles For Vargas Presser

BEVERLY HILLS, CALIF. -- Boxing's only eight-division world champion and the reigning Fighter of the Decade, MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO, two-division world champion JESSIE VARGAS and Hall of Fame promoter BOB ARUM will host a Los Angeles press conference tomorrow with the media.  This will be the sole press conference announcing the fight. Photos by Mikey Williams.

Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs), from General Santos City, Philippines, will be campaigning to become the only sitting Congressman and Senator to win a world title when he collides with defending World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight world champion Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs), from Las Vegas, Nev. 

Promoted by Top Rank®, in association with MP Promotions and Wynn Las Vegas, the Pacquiao vs. Vargas world championship event will take place Saturday, November 5, at the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Malignaggi: Pacquiao Retired To Snatch Press From Mayweather!

By Radio Rahim

Former two division world champion Paulie Malignaggi believes Manny Pacquiao never intended to retire from the sport of boxing - and only announced his retirement to snatch a few headlines from his career rival, Floyd Mayweather Jr., who retired last September.

Pacquiao announced his retirement back in April, after winning a twelve round decision over Timothy Bradley in their trilogy fight. He pledged to pursue a full-time career in politics back home in the Philippines. He secured a senatorial seat the following month.

But then it only took a few months before Pacquiao announced he was feeling the urge to fight again. And his return was finalized for November 5th - when he challenges WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Malignaggi feels Pacquiao was a little jealous, because Mayweather was getting a lot of post-retirement media coverage - and the Filipino superstar was looking to grab away some of those press clippings for himself.

As far as the fight against Vargas, Malignaggi expects a fun, competitive fight.

"Did he retire? I don't know if it counts as a retirement when you fight five months later. Maybe it was that Mayweather retired and he just wanted to do the same thing that Mayweather did," Malignaggi told BoxingScene.com.

"I think it's going to be competitive because Jessie is a good fighter. He will make it competitive and we'll see what the two fighters bring out in each other. I think it will be a nice, fun fight. But at the end of the day I don't think Pacquiao ever intended to retire. I think he heard that Mayweather retired and he wanted to take a couple of headlines from Mayweather. When you fight five months later after announcing your retirement, I don't think you ever planned on retiring."

Mayweather is still retired and has no plans to fight again, but Pacquiao's return has reignited rumors of a rematch between the two. Mayweather won a twelve round decision over Pacquiao last May in a fight that generated 4.6 million pay-per-view purchases and shattered all financial records for a boxing event.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:43 am 
Heavyweight

Hall of Fame boxer Chacon dies after fall

John Whisler | September 8, 2016

Bobby Chacon, a popular San Fernando Valley, California, boxer in the 1970s and ’80s who won world titles in two weight classes, died Wednesday at age 64.

Chacon died after he fell and struck his head at a care facility in Hemet. He had long suffered from the effects of brain damage.

A blood-and-guts brawler, Chacon (59-7-1, 47 KOs) was best known for a series of fights against Ruben Olivares at the Forum in Inglewood. He also fought Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini and Cornelius Boza-Edwards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao reveals retirement anguish as comeback looms
By Coconuts Manila September 9, 2016

Loneliness and love for the sport had drawn Manny Pacquiao him back into the ring.

Manny Pacquiao says he knew almost as soon as his retirement began that he had made a mistake, revealing that loneliness and love for the sport had drawn him back into the ring.

The legendary Filipino icon, who hung up his gloves after what was supposed to be a farewell victory over Timothy Bradley in April, ended his short-lived retirement in early August. 

The 37-year-old fighter is now targeting a slice of the world welterweight title when he faces World Boxing Organization champion Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas on November 5.

Pacquiao had initially planned to focus on his political career after being elected to the Philippines Senate in May.

But politics proved to be no substitute for pugilism in the eyes of the Filipino great, who showed he had plenty left in the tank with his stylish win over Bradley five months ago.

"First when I hung up my gloves I realised," Pacquiao told AFP on Thursday. 

"I felt lonely. And thinking about it over and over, I thought 'Boxing still likes me. Boxing still loves me.' So why stop my boxing career? So that's why I decided to continue my journey as a boxer."

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's long-serving cornerman revealed the fighter had made up his mind to scrap his retirement before he had even flown back to thePhilippines from Las Vegas following the Bradley bout.

"Before he left for the airport after the last fight, he told me very clearly 'We will fight again'," Roach told AFP. "It was no surprise."

The only surprise, Roach said, was the timing.

"I knew that after he became a Senator he would fight again. I just thought it would be next year."

Pacquiao insists that while his boxing career is now firmly back under way, he remains committed to politics, maintaining that he has had a "perfect" attendance record in the Senate since his election.

"I've learned a lot and not only talking about the problems. The most important thing is common sense," Pacquiao said.

The only challenge has been fitting his fitness regime around his duties in the Senate.

"In the morning I'll go for a jog and then rest a little bit, and then start work in the office," he said.

"By 10 o'clock I go to the Senate building and attend committee meetings. And after the committee meetings, attend the full session.

"And after the session I go straight to the gym, which is only 500 meters away from the Senate, and then train. After training, back home and rest."

Roach said he had been impressed by Pacquiao's conditioning after seeing him this week.

"He works out every day. He's in pretty good shape," he told AFP. "He's the hardest worker I've ever seen."

Many commentators have speculated that Pacquiao views his election to the Senate as a stepping stone for a presidential run.

Pacquiao dismissed the suggestion however. "That's not in my mind right now," he said "My focus is to serve honestly, and to pass laws that will help less fortunate families."

In the near-term though, Pacquiao's gaze is firmly fixed on his date with Vargas (27-1 with 10 knockouts) at the 19,000-capacity Thomas and Mack Center.

Mexican-American Vargas says he is aiming to avenge Pacquiao's numerous victories over Mexican fighters during his career.

Pacquiao smiled when asked for his reaction to Vargas's comments.

"This is not a movie. This is not a revenge movie. This is sport. Do your job and I'll do my job," he said.

As part of his determination to return with a bang, Pacquiao also ensured that 7,000 tickets for the fight were made available for the rock-bottom price of $50.

As of Thursday, 2,000 of the tickets had already been sold.

"It's a big challenge for me to get that belt again and prove that I can still manage serving the people and being a boxer," Pacquiao told a press conference on Thursday.

"I want to give back to the fans who've supported me. I'm selling 7,000 tickets for $50. I want to thank the fans who've supported me. It's going to be more action than we have before because Vargas is a champion who loves to fight. And that's the kind of fight I like. So the fans won't be bored." AFP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Photos: Manny Pacquiao, Jessie Vargas - Face To Face at Presser

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 190  Next