Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4058 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 271  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Andre Ward: Canelo has nothing to prove
Posted on September 21, 2016

By Dan Ambrose: As far as former super middleweight champion Andre “SOG” Ward is concerned, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has nothing to prove to anybody by having to fight Gennady “GGG” Golovkin when the boxing fans want him to. Ward believes that Canelo has already proven himself many times over in big fights that he has courage to take on dangerous opposition and he shouldn’t have to be questioned about his heart by the boxing fans.

Ward says he likes the way Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya is guiding his career by moving to the Golovkin fight when it’s the right time. Ward brings up the example of how the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao fight ended up making a lot more money by having it wait until the time was right to make the match-up.

Ward says that the boxing fans need to have more patience when it comes to fights that they’re waiting to see happen.

“I don’t think Canelo has anything to prove, I really don’t,” said Ward to the boxing media.“He’s fought the best. He’s given us one big fight after the next. He’s given so much to the sport. It’s just amusing the kind of response he gets when he doesn’t move wherever the people think he should move. I think we go a little too far when we start to question his courage; when they say he doesn’t have heart. To be honest with you, I think Oscar De La Hoya is doing a great job. I think he’s letting you know the fights going to happen, but it’s going to happen when he says it’s going to happen. If the fight happens, it may be like Floyd [Mayweather Jr.] and [Manny] Pacquiao. It’s twice as much. How can we say that fight happened too late when they made three times as much money. Sometimes we need boxing fans to show a little more patience. The fighter’s courage should never come into question,” said Ward.

Ward is very complimentary of Canelo. I think many fans would disagree with Ward though when it comes to Canelo always fighting the best. Let’s be real; Canelo has fought only handful of good fighters during his career. Here are the best fighters Canelo has fought during his 11-year pro career: Floyd Mayweather Jr., Erislandy Lara, Austin Trout, Miguel Cotto, Amir Khan and Liam Smith. That’s just six fighters, and you can argue that Cotto, Khan, smith and Trout were flawed guys. Cotto was small and old when Canelo fought him. We haven’t seen Canelo fight the real talents in the 154lb division like the Charlo brothers, Demetrius Andrade and Julian “J-Rock” Williams, and we haven’t seen Canelo fight the best middleweights in Golovkin and Daniel Jacobs.

The fans aren’t making money by waiting for big fights to happen. They want to see the fights when the fighters are in their prime of their careers, and not when they’re old. If you look at the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight last year, it might have been great for the two fighters to make the kind of money they made, but it wasn’t great for the boxing fans, because Pacquiao wasn’t the same fighter he’d been six years earlier when fans first started asking for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight to take place back in 2009. Last year, Pacquiao was nothing like the fighter he’d been back in 2009.

At 37, Pacquiao is clearly not in his prime. So it doesn’t help fans if they have to wait until fighters are over-the-hill before the fights are made. I think it’s bad for the sport Ward might not understand that, because he’s not factoring in how bad the fight was. The feeble way that Mayweather and Pacquiao fought upset fans. They had waited so many years and paid so much money to see the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, and they expected excitement, drama and most of all effort from the two combatants. You can argue that a lot of the fans that paid to see the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight won’t ever purchase another boxing match on pay-per-view ever again. The fight burned bridges with some fans. That’s why it’s not a great thing to have a match marinate for many years until the fighters are older and no longer in their primes. It’s bad for the sport. It might be good for those fighters at the time they finally get their big payday, but I think it hurts the rest of the fighters and I believe it hurts the careers of the same fighters that let their match marinate for so many years. Look at the pay-per-view numbers for Mayweather and Pacquiao’s fights after their match last year and tell me that they didn’t hurt their own careers with their performances.

It’s interesting that Ward is still talking about the Golovkin fight not happening for himself. He thinks the match against Golovkin should have taken place before his scheduled fight against IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev, which will be taking place on November 10. Ward says that Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler was offered a 50-50 deal for Golovkin-Ward fight, but they didn’t want the fight.

Ward had this to say about Golovkin to Fighthype.com this week:

“Triple G turned down a 50-50 fight. He said in 2017 is what he said. I’ve had people say put the e-mail out. I won’t do it, because it’s not that serious. I feel like my word should mean something. I can literally pull that [e-mail] up right now between Roc Nation and [Golovkin’s promoter] Tom Loeffler. The fight was offered 50-50. Every detail was 50-50, and we made him a conscious effort as a team to make him a 50-50 offer just so there was no wiggle room, 50-50, the weight and everything. ‘Oh, that’s great. I appreciate the offer. Maybe if the fight is still hot, we’ll do it in 2017,’” Ward said in explaining what was told to him by Team Golovkin. “We know what that means. But then they go on record and say the opposite. If they had kept quiet, it would have been fine, but they keep talking about it. So I’m going to be honest about what happened. They didn’t want the fight. It shouldn’t have took Kell Brook doing what he did to show people why they don’t want the fight. They can say whatever they want, but the reality is they didn’t want the fight. I think it would have been a great match-up for the fans. I think that fight should have happened before the [Sergey] Kovalev fight should have happened.”

I don’t know that the Golovkin vs. Kell Brook fight is a good example in predicting what would happen if Golovkin had fought Ward. What we found out in that fight is that Brook didn’t have the power to hurt Golovkin. If Ward wants to put himself in the same category as Brook, then it means he’ll lose to Golovkin if the two of them ever face each other. Golovkin was willing to take Brook’s weaker shots in order to get close enough to him to hit him with his harder shots. Eventually, Brook’s right eye got busted up and he ended up needing to be saved from Golovkin to avoid getting seriously hurt. The only thing we can learn from that fight is that you can hit Golovkin, but eventually you’re going to get broken down physically by his harder shots, and then you’ll need saving by your trainer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Nietes begins flyweight bid in Pinoy Pride 38 

BY THE MANILA TIMES ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2016

For eight years, boxing champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes stamped his class in the light flyweight division, bringing glory to the Philippines one fight after another. With a competitive spirit like no other, the country’s longest-reigning Filipino champion is not done winning, as he dares to dominate another weight division starting at the “Pinoy Pride 38: Philippines vs Mexico.”

World Boxing Organization (WBO) world champion Nietes (38-1-4) will face former world champion Edgar Sosa (52-9-0) for the WBO Intercontinental Flyweight Championship in the latest installment of ALA Promotions Inc. and ABS-CBN Integrated Sports’ “Pinoy Pride” series, which will be held at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, USA on September 24 (Manila time).

The bout will be aired Sunday on ABS-CBN at 3:30 p.m. and ABS-CBN Sports + Action (S+A) at 7:30 p.m. Filipinos abroad can watch “Pinoy Pride 38” on TFC.tv or by clicking Pay-Per-View on their IPTV homepage.

Joining the 34 year-old pride of Negros Occidental is up-and-coming youngster Mark “Magnifico” Magsayo (14-0-0), who will stake his unbeaten record against Ramiro “Zurdo” Robles (13-5-1), a fighter coming off a technical knockout win over fellow Mexican Gregorio Perez. The 23-year-old slugger will be the Filipino rising star’s toughest test yet in his young career.

Also in the undercard is “King” Arthur Villanueva (29-1-0) who puts his hard-earned WBO Asia-Pacific Bantamweight Championship on the line against challenger Juan “El Penita” Jimenez (22-10-0), in a rematch to cement Villanueva’s hold on the crown. Their previous bout in “Pinoy Pride 36” ended in a bizarre manner via technical knockout, after the two fighters accidentally bumped heads as Bacolod’s hometown hero sneaked in a punch for the knockdown.

This is the third time a “Pinoy Pride” event is held in the United States, showing the growing interest and support among overseas Filipinos and foreign audiences for the country’s new generation of fighters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather to 'move on' after trying to arrange Conor McGregor fight

ESPN.com news services

Retired pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. said he gave it a shot, but there will be no fight against UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor.

"I tried to make the fight happen between me and Conor McGregor," Mayweather recently told FightHype.com. "We wasn't able to make the fight happen, so we must move on."

Added Mayweather: "I feel honored to be the biggest name in MMA and in boxing, and I don't even compete no more."

Last month, McGregor said he had interest in fighting the former five-division world champion, who retired from boxing in September 2015, as long as Mayweather could come up with the appropriate funds for the crossover fight.

"Right now, I have Floyd running around the Showtime [Network] offices gathering my money. That's what he's doing," McGregor said on Aug. 15. "He's running around the Showtime offices, begging those executives to come up with the $100 million cash he needs to fight me. As soon as he gets my money, we can fight."

McGregor, 28, is under contract with the UFC, and any potential fight against Mayweather would have had to involve a co-promotion or the UFC's blessing.

ESPN's Brett Okamoto contributed to this report.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:05 pm 
Heavyweight

HBO says no, so Top Rank will go it alone for Nov. 5 Manny Pacquiao PPV card

By: Bob Velin | September 21, 2016

Top Rank President Todd duBoef looks at it as an opportunity, empowerment. A free pass perhaps.

Those are a few of the positives duBoef lists for his company coming out of HBO’s rejection of the pay-per-view broadcast for the Nov. 5 return of Manny Pacquiao at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

HBO explained that the Pacquiao card fell too close to its Nov. 19 pay-per-view blockbuster between Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Therefore, Top Rank will produce and distribute its own pay-per-view of a card that consists of three title fights. DuBoef scoffs at the notion that the venerable boxing promotional company was left with no other choice but to do it themselves.

“I disagree with that,” duBoef said. “Actually, we’re left with many choices and many different options. But at the end of the day, after we thought about it, you say, ‘Listen, I do the distribution deals myself, usually. HBO or Showtime or whoever, may come to me and say, ‘what do you think about this deal?’ That’s one thing they do.  I basically get a marketing agent that does our marketing. HBO does the production, but we have done the production, too, like we did in (Macau).

“When you work out the math, it’s like, ‘wait a second, I’ll just do all of these things myself, do it with all of our talented people and see if there’s stuff from different mechanisms off of these platforms to go ahead and create awareness.”

Creating awareness for this high-powered card should be one of the easier tasks facing Top Rank. Pacquiao, 37, returning to the ring for the first time since he retired after defeating Timothy Bradley on April 9, may not be the superstar he once was, but he’s still a future Hall of Famer, an eight-division world champion and one of the most popular fighters in the world. He will fight for the WBO welterweight belt that twice was his but is now held by his opponent, Jessie Vargas.

Also on the card, Nonito Donaire (37-3, 24 KOs), a four-division titlist, defends his WBO super bantamweight belt against undefeated Jessie Magdaleno. It will mark the first time that Donaire and Pacquiao, the two greatest Filipino fighters, appear on the same card together.  And undefeated WBO featherweight champion and rising star Oscar Valdez (20-0, 18 KOs), a two-time Olympian from Mexico, will face No. 1 contender Hiroshige Osawa (30-3-4, 19 KOs), from Osaka, Japan.

Recently added is a 12-round flyweight rematch between two-time Chinese Olympic gold medalist Zou Shiming (8-1, 2 KOs) and Kwanpichit Onesongchaigym (39-1-2, 24 KOs), also known as Prasitsak Papoem, of Thailand. They fought in 2014 in Macau, a fight Zou won by unanimous decision in a world title eliminator. The loss was the Thai fighter’s first and he has gone 12-0 (12 KOs) since. Zou is rated No. 2 and Kwanpichit No. 3 by the WBO.

Three title fights and a top-notch rematch, despite what some perceive as a mismatch in the main event, should not be a terribly tough sell.

The question of whether Vargas has the clout, the skills and the charisma and personality to sell this fight, and whether he deserves to be in the same ring with Pacquiao will soon be answered. But duBoef believes Vargas is greatly underrated and will prove it between now and Nov. 5.

“He’s very charismatic, he’s wonderfully spoken, he’s done a wonderful job promoting himself,” duBoef said. “You ask Tim Bradley about that 12th round (when Vargas had Bradley badly hurt but lost the last 10 crucial seconds of the final round due to the referee’s error). Manny Pacquiao never had Tim Bradley like that. And then to follow it up with (a TKO against undefeated) Sadam Ali, and everybody mailed it in that he was just the opponent. So my feeling is, you just remind people of those performances, and performances sell fights.”

The last time Top Rank produced and distributed a live PPV was on Feb. 21, 2009.  It was a split-site PPV telecast from Madison Square Garden and Youngstown, Ohio, featuring Miguel Cotto vs. Michael Jennings and Kelly Pavlik vs. Marco Antonio Rubio.  Both were world title fights.

What will be missing this time without HBO’s participation will be the shoulder programming, such as Faceoff and 24/7. But duBoef relishes the opportunity allow the veteran Top Rank staff to get creative.

“There’s other platforms, there’s other people, there’s other individuals that are very interested in running with really good shoulder programming that would help drive awareness,” duBoef said, without being specific. “And there’s things that we want to look at outside the box.

“So I look at it like a free pass. This is like a great opportunity for all of us, and it’s been very empowering for our staff, which is largely a very talented staff that wants to be creative and go ahead and move with this.”

In pay-per-view shows, duBoef says, the network really pays for nothing, except for production costs. They don’t pay the purses. DuBoef said this PPV will be no different for the consumer. It will still be on a pay-per-view channel. They will still have digital distribution, which means you can get the fight on your laptop or phone through Toprank.tv.

“Nothing will be different except that we will do different, unique types of marketing tactics, and create awareness,” DuBoef said. “Perception was that HBO had a very active role in pay-per-view. The reality of it is, they had no money at risk, for the most part. They did the production, which was brilliant and always very well done. They would give us real estate on their platforms leading up to the fight. 24-7 or Faceoff types of shows. But at the end of the day, what were they doing? They were just the agents for us.”

Without the veteran HBO broadcast team of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman and Roy Jones Jr. around to handle the play-by-play and analysis of the fight card, DuBoef was asked who will handle that major task. He would not answer except to say that it is a surprise and “it will be fantastic.”

DuBoef said ticket sales for the show have been brisk. There were 7,000 tickets on sale for $50 to watch the fight live, but those haven’t been the most popular.

“We’ve had a terrific response,” he said. “The interesting thing about it is, all the high-end tickets, the big price tickets, we have very few left of those, which is great. There were a lot of the cheaper tickets, and there are still some of those left.”

At the end of the day, duBoef said, putting on their own PPV card  is not that much more of an undertaking, because Top Rank’s been doing these kinds of shows for years.

“It’s not like we’re a one-fight promoter, and we’re just starting this. We have a show office, I would say we definitely have the most talented organization in the industry,” duBoef said. “We’re now going to empower that talent, and we’re going to let everyone do what they do so well.

“I think we have a very good opportunity to stop doing the same old thing and try to be creative and do some creative stuff. It’s obviously a little more work not having somebody at your side doing some of the execution of it. But at the end of the day it’s our vision, it’s our content and it’s our path.

“Either way, we’re going to make the decisions whether the network’s with us or we’re by ourselves.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:17 pm 
Heavyweight

Estrada's Trainer Believes Chocolatito Will Get KO'd in Rematch

By Miguel Rivera

A few days ago, WBC super flyweight world champion Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez (46-0, 38KOs) stated that he doesn't care about a rematch with Juan Francisco (33-2, 24 KOs), who Chocolatito won a tough twelve round decision over in 2012 - at junior flyweight.

Estrada has always complained that he moved down to 108-pounds to take the fight, but it left him very weak. Chocolatito officially moved up to super flyweight earlier this month and captured the WBC title from Carlos Cuadras. Last week, Estrada officially vacated his World Boxing Organization and World Boxing Association flyweight titles. He then announced his return, at super flyweight, for October 8th in his native Puerto Penasco against a fighter from Philippines, Raymond Tabugon, and Azteca 7, La Casa del Boxeo, will broadcast to everyone in Mexico.

At a press conference to announced the fight, Estrada (33-2, 24 KOs) explained that he's fully recovered from the injury to his right hand that sidelined him from fighting for over a year. The bout will be at the Ballpark Francisco Leon Garcia with Tabugon (18-5-1, 8 KOs) over ten rounds at super flyweight in a Zanfer promotion. Alfredo Caballero, the trainer for Estrada, believes his fighter has everything necessary to beat Chocolatito at 115-pounds - even by knockout. But Chocolatito appears to be more interested in a rematch with Cuadras or a showdown with Naoya Inoue. "We think they recognize that at 108 pounds, Juan Francisco was weak, and he still gave them a fight like they never had before in 2012. Perhaps at 115 pounds, [Chocolatito] will not have as much of an opportunity [to win]. At super flyweight I think we can even knock him out," Caballero told ESPN Deportes. "The idea of ??leaving the titles at flyweight was to go after Chocolatito at super flyweight. For now Juan Francisco has the fight in his homeland against a Filipino, and if it goes well want to fight in December and then go after Chocolatito."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Canelo vs. Smith PPV Buyrate is Not Expected To Break 300K

By Edward Chaykovsky

According to report in the Los Angeles Times, last Saturday’s Canelo Alvarez vs. Liam Smith title fight from AT&T Stadium in Texas is not expected to break 300,000 pay-per-view buys.

Canelo (48-1-1, 34 KOs) was making his return to the junior middleweight division and captured the WBO title from previously undefeated Liam Smith, who was dropped for the third time and stopped in the ninth round. When the fight was first announced, it surprised a lot of people in the industry because Smith was unknown to the majority of all fans in the United States and Mexico. And Smith even lacked superstar status in the UK. The hefty HBO PPV Price of $64.95 was another obstacle that prevented fans from opening their wallets.

Canelo's fight with Miguel Cotto from last November gained 900,000 buys, and then his May bout with Amir Khan generated around 500,000. Industry executives, who requesting anonymity while speaking with the paper, believe Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, and Canelo, made a big mistake by making it appear as if Canelo was going to face Gennady Golovkin in the fall - only to name Smith in his place. “I’d put tape over [Alvarez’s] mouth and [De La Hoya’s] mouth,” one fight executive told the paper. “The idiocy of [Alvarez] calling out Golovkin and fighting someone nobody’s heard of … they put themselves in this position. So, right now, he’s in the unenviable position of his next fight is not going to be against Golovkin either, so he’s going to pay the price for it again.” While there are ongoing talks for a fight between Canelo (48-1-1, 34KOs) and Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs), Golden Boy wants that contest to take place in September 2017 at the earliest. Golovkin is likely to fight again on December 10th, possibly at Madison Square Garden against mandatory challenger Daniel Jacobs. Golovkin's pay-per-view debut against David Lemieux from last October only generated 150,000 buys. His fight earlier this month with Kell Brook from London's O2 Arena, sold 500,000 pay-per-view buys on Sky Box Office in the UK, according to The Times.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Eyes Tentative Return Date of December 3

by Miguel Rivera

Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is still focused on returning to the ring by the end of 2016 and says there is a tentative return date in place of December 3 in the United States.

Rodolfo Chavez, the uncle and trainer of Junior, says his nephew is very eager to fight again. If they are unable to finalize the December date, that could open the door for a possible fight in Mexico for October or November. "The truth is, he wants to fight and he has been training here in Culiacan with me. He wants to fight by any means possible and against anyone. He tells us that he could fight on December 3. He has not been handed any names, but he has been training for anything and has the desire to return," Rodolfo Chavez said to ESPN Deportes.

Chavez Jr. (49-2-1, 32KOs) has been inactive since last July, when he suffered a bad hand injury during a decision win over Marcos Reyes. The injury required surgery and kept him out of the ring for the remainder of the year. Then he was booked to face WBC super middleweight champion Badou Jack in April, but withdrew after suffering a heel injury in camp. A few more dates, with the opponent slated to be J'Leon Love, also fell through. The next opponent is unknown, but at this point Chavez doesn't care who he faces or where, he just wants to get back in the ring. "At the moment it is probably going to be difficult to get big names, but we all know that a fight with Julio always attracts attention. People watch him to see him win or to get hit. What he wants is to return in style. A lot of things are now behind him and he is eager to fight," said Rodolfo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:23 pm 
Heavyweight

Crollla-Linares: Gallagher expects Anthony to win

By Scott Gilfoid: 

Trainer Joe Gallagher thinks the combination of the crowd noise and the self-belief of WBA lightweight champion Anthony “Million Dollar” Crolla (31-4-3, 13 KOs) will help guide him to victory against former three division world champion Jorge Linares (40-3, 27 KOs) on Saturday night on September 24 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK.

Gallagher thinks Crolla is heading towards superstardom if he can get past Linares despite the fact that there are arguably MUCH better fighters in the lightweight division than Linares or Crolla. For starters, you’ve got Mikey Garcia. He’s got one-punch power.

You can get stick Mikey in Crolla’s backyard and I see him knocking him out 100 out of 100 times. You’ve got Robert Easter Jr., a fighter with tremendous punching power. I can’t see Crolla beating him. You’ve got Dejan Zlaticanin, and Terry Flanagan. These are big punchers. I really don’t see Crolla beating either of those guys. Of course, if Crolla never fights any of them, he can call himself a superstar without having to prove himself.

“It’s a tough task. I view Jorge Linares as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world,” said Gallagher to skysports.com. “We’ve got our work cut out but I feel Anthony’s momentum, self-belief, desire and the crowd behind him will see him over the finish line.”

I don’t think the crowd will benefit Crolla in this contest. Linares doesn’t lose his cool when he hears crowds screaming. If Crolla fights harder due to the crowd, then he’ll fight stupid, because the worst thing you can do inside a boxing ring is to be encouraged by the crowd to fight harder. The only thing that leads to is you losing your head and attacking too much.

If you attack a skilled fighter like Linares, then he’s going to punish you with shots. Linares is a thinking fighter, not a primitive that fights on adrenalin from the crowd. Where I think the crowd will help Crolla is by them screaming each time he even looks at Linares wrong. I think the judges will respond accordingly by giving Crolla rounds in which he should be losing. If the judges give Crolla enough of the rounds based on the cheering from his loyal fans in the Manchester Arena, then he’ll win the fight. Yeah, it’ll totally controversial, but we’ve seen Crolla involved in controversial decisions in the past and he didn’t lose sleep over them. Look at Crolla’s first fight against Darleys Perez, his second fight against Derry Mathews and his fight against Gavin Rees. I thought Crolla lost all three of those fights, and yet he was given wins.

“Wouldn’t it be amazing if Anthony pulls this off and you have him and Tyson Fury, both Ring magazine champions, both No 1 in the world in their weight classes and both from Manchester,” said Gallagher. “Here in Manchester we do things a little bit different. Ricky Hatton’s opponents soon found out what the Manchester crowd was all about.”

It’s hard to picture Crolla and Tyson Fury as the Ring Magazine champions if they win their next fights. If Crolla beats Linares, then I don’t see how that makes Crolla the best fighter in the lightweight division. Linares is rated No.1 by Ring Magazine and Crolla No.3. But I think No.2 Dejan Zlaticanin is being skipped over and I don’t think that’s right. I see Linares winning the fight on Saturday night. But if he loses the fight fair and square, I still don’t think Crolla wouild be the best fighter in the lightweight division.

I wouldn’t rank Crolla as the top guy in the division just because he beat an inactive fighter in Linares, who hasn’t fought since 2015 due to injury related problems. For me to give Crolla the top spot in the lightweight division he would need to beat Easter, Flanagan, Mikey Garcia, and Zlaticanin. If Crolla beats all those guys, then you can say he’s the best, but right now, I can’t put him at No.1. Is it asking too much for Crolla to fight and beat Mikey Garcia?

Yeah, I saw the wrestling that Hatton did in his fight against Kostya Tszyu in their fight a decade ago in Manchester; I noticed that Hatton wasn’t penalized for it. I guess you can say that things are done differently in Manchester. I thought Hatton got away with an entire fight’s worth of wrestling against Tszyu. The referee should have taken points off from Hatton at some point, but he didn’t. I’m just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:30 am 
Heavyweight

Golovkin vs. Jacobs: Barclays Center Placed on Hold For Dec. 10

By Miguel Rivera

Sources with knowledge of the details have advised BoxingScene.com that the Barclays Center in Brooklyn has been placed on hold, for December 10th, to potentially host the World Boxing Association mandatory bout between Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (36-0, 34KOs) and Daniel Jacobs (32-1, 29KOs).

Both New York venues, Barclays and Madison Square Garden in New York City, are hoping to land the anticipated fight. Golovkin's promoter, Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, is currently negotiating the terms with Al Haymon, the manager of Jacobs. -

According to WBA President Gilberto Mendoza Jr., the two boxers have until October 10th to reach an agreement of a purse bid will be called. They have 120 days to stage the fight. Jacobs, the mandatory challenger, has no problem with fighting on HBO if the monetary terms are substantial. Golovkin, who holds the WBA/IBO/WBC/IBF middleweight belts, wants to fight Jacobs sooner than later. Golovkin was in action on September 10th, when he traveled over to the UK and stopped IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook in five rounds at the O2 Arena in London. Brook had moved up by thirteen pounds to take the fight after Chris Eubank Jr. was pulled from the negotiations. The night prior to Golovkin-Brook, Jacobs returned to the ring for the first since last December and retained his WBA 'regular' title with a knockout victory over former champion Sergio Mora, in a rematch of last year's bout which Jacobs won in two rounds after Mora fractured his ankle. While working out the details for the fight with Jacobs, Loeffler is also attempting to reach an agreement for a mega-fight between Golovkin and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez for September 2017. Canelo is sidelined with a hand injury until 2017, and likely won't fight again until May. -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:46 pm 
Heavyweight

DONNIE NIETES, ALA GYM'S GEM OF A FIGHTER

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 24 Sep 2016

Longest reigning Filipino world champion Donnie "Ahas" Nietes fights for the first time in the flyweight division against Edgar Sosa. The Mexican is a former WBC light flyweight champion and Nietes is the former WBO minimumweight and light flyweight champion in a battle of ex-champs. 

Also The Ring light flyweight champion, Nietes is the gem of the ALA Gym. He was just a utility worker of the Aldeguer family, principally taking care of their pet python, thus the "Ahas" monicker. Until he tried to work on the punching bags and the rest is world boxing history. 

At 34, the Murcia, Negros Occidental native moves to the more lucrative flyweight division in search of big-name opponents. He was aiming at WBO flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada and even pound-for-pound king Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez. 

His only career loss was inflected by Indonesian Angky Angkota on a controversial split decision 12 years ago in Jakarta. His professional record now is 38-1-4 with 22 KO's. For more than eight years now, Nietes is 14-0-1 in world title fights. 

Nietes is the only world champion in the famed ALA Gym stable at present. And he is capable of winning a third division world title. He needs more reputable opponents to propel himself to the big time and follow the trail of eight division world champion Senator Manny Pacquiao. 

Photo: Donnie Nietes flexes his muscles during the official weighin held at the Eagle Rock Plaza Mall in Eagle Rock, CA Friday. 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Canelo-Golovkin: Promoters Agree To Sit Down in Two Weeks

By Miguel Rivera

In a move that may see both sides come closer to reaching an agreement, Golden Boy Promotions - who handle WBO 154-pound champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (48-1-1, 34KOs) - and Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, who guide WBC/IBO/IBF/WBA middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (36-0, 33KOs) - have agreed to sit down in two weeks to negotiate the terms.

Last weekend, Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya told reporters that he sent an "eight figure offer" to Golovkin for a HBO Pay-Per-View collision in September of 2017. The offer was reportedly around $10 million with an unknown pay-per-view percentage.

Loeffler rejected the idea of Golovkin only getting a flat fee and sent a counter-offer, which requested a percentage split of the full revenue.

Canelo suffered a right hand injury during last Saturday's ninth round knockout of Liam Smith to capture the WBO title. He will require at least six weeks of rehabilitation and won't return to the ring until Cinco De Mayo in May. Golovkin will potentially face mandatory challenger Daniel Jacobs on December 10th in New York City.

On Friday, Golden Boy President Eric Gomez challenged Loeffler to call him and negotiate the terms.

“Golovkin said he takes great pride in boxing, that it’s not about money, that he’s willing to fight. He said we’d make a weak offer. We have all these deal points on the table and we’re not getting an answer.  I told [them], ‘Let’s sit down and continue the conversation,’ and I haven’t heard back. And if they seriously think we don’t want to make the fight, then take this offer. It’s the most money Golovkin’s ever made,” Gomez told The Los Angeles Times. 

"I could come up with 10 or 20 points that prove Canelo is … by far the bigger draw. I don’t want to negotiate in the media, but if they want to discuss the rest of the points, come over, sit down. We’re serious about making the fight. No excuses to get out of it. We’re willing to make the fight. The notion we’re scared is ridiculous. Call our bluff. We’re ready to make the fight.”

It appears Gomez's message reached Loeffler, who reached out to schedule a face to face meeting.

"We want to finalize the fight and I told them let's negotiate in two weeks. We need a long time to promote this fight. It's like the World Series in the MLB, the finals in the NBA, the Super Bowl of the NFL. We need time to organize and promote it. The truth is, we are ready to finalize the fight right now... right now everybody is talking about the fight," Gomez told ESPN Deportes.

"Loeffler wrote me, and we will sit down in two weeks. We will talk, see what we offer, what they offer and hopefully we can reach an agreement to give the fans what they want. We are going to try to keep [the negotiations] between us. I hope we reach an agreement for the fight."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Keith Thurman's letter to fans: Why boxing is not a dying sport and never will be

By: Bob Velin

He took up boxing at the age of 7 when a janitor at his elementary school showed him a sparring match for the first time.

Twenty years later, Keith “One Time” Thurman has made the Sweet Science his life’s work and passion. Today, Thurman, 27, is unbeaten, the WBA welterweight champion, a knockout machine with power in both hands and is ranked among the 10-best pound-for-pound boxers in the world, including USA TODAY Sports/BoxingJunkie, which has him at No. 8.

It irks the Clearwater, Fla., native to hear pundits who know little or nothing about boxing proclaim the sport dead or dying. It must be dying. Why, how will it ever replace Floyd Mayweather? How could it ever have replaced Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, or Mike Tyson?

Yet it always does. There are as many, if not more, great, young, up-and-coming stars in the sport today as there always has been.

This is not to say that boxing doesn’t have its share of woes. Promoters are suing each other, some refuse to work with others, thereby eliminating compelling matchups; there has sometimes been rampant PED use, though that’s no different from most other sports where conditioning is a key factor; and there has always been some corruption among the sanctioning bodies. Oh, yeah, and don’t forget the ringside judging, which, at times, has left fans and media flabbergasted by its ineptitude.

Here’s a no-brainer: Boxing is not as popular as it was 50 years ago. The American television viewer today has so many more sports and entertainment programming from which to choose that there’s no way it can pull in the ratings it once did, nor can any other sporting event, save for maybe the Super Bowl.

Yet, for all its problems, boxing has a solid fan base that loves the sport and will follow it no matter what. Thurman cites the long and colorful history of the Sweet Science and its current global popularity as reasons for its continued success. He has become so impassioned by the argument that it prompted him to write a letter to boxing fans explaining why he believes the sport is alive and well and, indeed, thriving. His letter, obtained by USA TODAY Sports:

Keith Thurman’s open letter to boxing fans

There’s been a lot of talk lately about boxing being dead. To those who choose to believe that, I say bull—-. Boxing is not dead. It’s as alive as when the bell rings, signaling two fighters meeting in the center of the ring.

What the sport is doing is evolving, and thus the conversation is changing.

Some pundits point to a lack of superstars … but let me quickly stop that talk right there.

I’m one of boxing’s biggest stars—WBA Welterweight World Champion, on all the pound-for-pound lists, celebrating 20 years in the sport I fell in love with when my elementary school janitor showed me a sparring match for the first time. I draw millions of fans to watch my fights, whether it’s NBC, ESPN or CBS. I set network ratings records, sell out arenas and give the fans what they want every time I walk into the ring.

Deontay Wilder, GGG, Andre Ward, Roman Gonzalez, Anthony Joshua, Terence Crawford, Sergey Kovalev and Canelo Alvarez—all superstar fighters who have had tremendous victories this year and who have been on both cable and network TV this past year.

You’ve seen rising stars emerge — guys like Robert Easter, Errol Spence and Carl Frampton to name a few. We are all one in this sport — young, smart, hungry and fully aware that our fans want to watch us.

Fights are fights. You put two athletes in a 16-by-16-foot ring and may the best man or woman win. That’s boxing.

I hear the chatter and gossip; this fighter is ducking that fighter, this promoter is avoiding that matchup. To that I say bull—-. Fighters fight, promoters promote. Timing and schedules aren’t always in our hands. The matches we as fighters want to fight and you as fans want to see will be made. The speed of evolution runs its own race.

When I look back over the last two years I’m amazed at how we’ve changed and how fast we’ve done so. We’re now on network and cable TV. You can pretty much watch a boxing match every weekend, something you couldn’t do in recent years.

As a young fighter, it was always about getting on TV, about the networks taking a chance and saying yes to us. It seemed as if getting all the networks to understand our sport was the bigger challenge. We wanted a chance to have the air time that our brothers in football and basketball did decades ago when their sports evolved. We knew we had an audience, fans just wanted the opportunity to watch us outside of the pay-per-view model.

My division (welterweight) has one of the strongest and most diverse fighter pools around. It has set up an incredible arc of fights going into and through 2017. But it’s not just my division. The featherweight, middleweight, heavyweight – hell, almost every division — is six-to-eight quality fighters deep. The talent pool is global and the ability to create fights and division tournaments is there.

My former coach and mentor Ben Getty prophesized this moment for me and knew that our sport would be bigger than ever during my career. I’m proud to be one of the leaders of this sport and proud to be part of its evolution. I cannot wait to see what comes next as both a fighter and fan.

I’d like to thank Al Haymon, Premier Boxing Champions, all the networks that carry the PBC — NBC, Fox, CBS, ESPN, Showtime, Spike, Bounce, Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes, NBCSN — and most important the fans who have stuck by me throughout my career. Stay tuned, you will be seeing more of me and my colleagues on TV and you will be proud to say ‘I am a boxing fan.’

Thurman acknowledges that any discussion of boxing’s popularity must include a comparison to mixed martial arts, specifically the UFC, which has grown exponentially the last few years. But when it comes to money earned by its athletes, MMA is still a distant second, mainly because outside of UFC and Bellator, there’s really nowhere for MMA fighters to go. You take what they offer or you don’t fight.

Mayweather was the highest paid athlete in the world, according to Forbes, in 2012, 2013 and 2015. He earned nearly $500 million in those three years, including $300 million in 2015 alone. “Really the argument ends right there,” Thurman said. “That’s what I used to tell people.”

The highest-selling UFC pay-per-view event of all time was Nate Diaz-Conor McGregor II earlier this year, with 1.65 million buys. McGregor earned a UFC record $3 million for the win.

Mayweather-Pacquiao shattered the previous boxing PPV record with 4.4 million buys in 2015, and Mayweather had two other fights that tallied more than 2 million buys going back to 2007. Yet all people remember about the richest fight of all time was how disappointing it was that it failed to live up to the hype, which might have been impossible no matter what happened.

Last month on NBC, Spence’s knockout of Leonard Bundu at a small venue in Coney Island, N.Y. averaged 4.8 million viewers, peaking at more than 6 million. Thurman fought Robert Guerrero in the PBC’s debut on NBC in 2015 and more than 3 million viewers tuned in. Last Friday on little known Bounce TV, a PBC card headlined by lesser-known fighters Ishe Smith and Frank Galarza drew 1.3 million viewers.

“UFC has grown rapidly, tremendously throughout its career – it’s way younger than boxing. It’s very fruitful, there’s tons of money in it,” Thurman says. “Everybody who’s been involved with it has been very successful. It has evolved to where fighters are getting paid more like what they’re worth nowadays. It is a sport, it has its own fan base, but boxing goes back to Queensberry, man, boxing goes back to the Roman Empire. Boxing is a part of human nature.”

Thurman (27-0, 22 KOs) used to wonder why boxing was called a “gentleman’s sport” when men are punching each other in the face.

“I finally realized why boxing is called a ‘gentleman’s sport’ when I watched UFC,” he said. “Boxing is a gentleman’s sport because we are only allowed to use our hands. It limits the way you can injure a person, right?

“But how it really becomes a gentleman’s sport is when one man knocks another man down. We do a standard 10-count. That gives that man time to stand up, recoup  and get back in the fight. Some of the greatest boxing matches of all time are when one man gets knocked down, gets up and knocks the other man down.

“It’s stuff like that you will never be able to witness in the UFC because of how many weapons they have. They can do ground and pound, there’s diversity in the fight styles, there are fewer rules, it’s easier to bleed, you can strike with the elbow, you can strike with the knee, there’s more force. The thigh is a bigger muscle, so there’s a lot damage.”

Thurman brings his argument full circle to boxing’s great history.

“I’m part of the history of the sport, and one thing that drew me to the sport was my dream to go down in the history books as one of the best welterweight champions of all time,” he says. “UFC does not have the history. They have extreme excitement, if that’s what you’re into, but they don’t have the history behind it.

“And that’s why boxing is not dead, was not dead and will never die.”

(Photo of Thurman, left, fighting Shawn Porter in June by Getty Images)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:29 am 
Heavyweight

Nietes fights Sosa today

by Dennis Principe
September 24, 2016

Eagle Rock, California – Two-division world champion Donnie ‘Ahas’ Nietes will start a path which his upcoming opponent Edgar Sosa took six years ago but vowed to have a more successful journey.

The 34-year-old Nietes (38-1, 4 knockouts) will make his flyweight debut when he takes on Sosa in a 12-round bout for the vacant WBO international 112lb belt today at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

In yesterday’s weigh in held at the Eagle Rock Plaza Mall here, Nietes tallied an exact 112lbs while Sosa seemed as ready as his Filipino counterpart when the Mexican came in at 111.5.

After losing his WBC world lightflyweight belt when he was knocked out by Filipino Rodel Mayol last November 2009 in Mexico, Sosa moved up in weight where in 18 fights saw him vie for three world title shots, but lost in all attempts.

Nietes recently vacated his WBO 108lb throne to campaign in his third division, a move which the Murcia-native fighter believes will bear fruit eventually.

“Hindi ko i-underestimate si Sosa kasi former world champion siya at world rated pa din. Sa ngayon challenger na ulit ako kasi binitiwan ko na yung world title ko pero tiwala ako na magcha-champion ulit ako,” said Nietes who also reigned as world minimumweight titleholder.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer said they wanted to tap someone like Sosa, a former world champion who could give Nietes a test he needs and see how far the Filipino can go at four pounds heavier.

But Sosa, a 17-year veteran with a ring record of 52-9 spiked with 30 stoppages has his own plans.

“I will not end up as his test. I will end his quest tomorrow. I’m here to win and I also want to become a world champion,” said Sosa “I lost in my last two title shots because I was not surrounded by good people. I had family issues to settle but all those issues are now resolved.”

Leading his new team is trainer and manager Jorge Barrera, one of Mexico’s respected champion makers who was part of the team that made his younger brother Marco Antonio a boxing icon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Donnie Nietes Makes Flyweight Debut, Dominates Edgar Sosa

By Francisco Salazar

Carson, Calif. - Donnie Nietes made his debut at the flyweight division on Saturday night a successful one.

The longtime world titleholder at minimumweight and junior flyweight defeated Edgar Sosa by unanimous decision before a small, but partisan crowd at the Stubhub Center.

With the win, Nietes improves to 39-1-4, 22 KOs. Sosa falls to 52-10, 30 KOs.

Saturday night marked the first major fight for Nietes at 112 pounds.

Sosa weighed three and a half pounds more than the contracted weight at Friday's weigh-in. He defeated Orlando Guerrero in his last bout on February 13.

Prior to that bout, Sosa was stopped in the second round by Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez back in May of last year.

After a slow start from both fighters in the opening round, Nietes let his hands go more in the second, momentarily staggering Sosa with a right hand to the head near the end of the round.

Sosa again almost put Sosa down near the end of the fourth round, landing another right to the head. To his credit, Sosa was able to hold on until the bell sounded to end the round.

Both fighters had their moments in the middle rounds. Sosa was at his best when he initiated the exchanges, but he was not able to keep up with Nietes' punch output.

There was a discrepancy in round nine when the timekeeper at ringside sounded the bell to end the round at the two-minute mark, one minute short of the regulation three-minute rounds.

Nietes hurt Sosa again near the end of the 10th round as a right cross staggered Sosa across the ring. Sosa was able to hold onto Nietes and make it out of the round.

Nietes pressed the action in the final round, stunning Sosa again with more than a minute left in the round. But Nietes was able to use his ring savvy to make it to the final bell.

All three judges scored the bout 120-108 in favor of Nietes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:50 am 
Heavyweight

Linares-Crolla Rematch Clause in Place, Hearn Expects Fight

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

On Saturday night, WBA lightweight champion Anthony 'Million Dollar' Crolla lost his title as well as a chance to win the Ring Magazine belt to classy lightweight Jorge Linares in Manchester.

Sky Sports in Britain reported “Crolla put everything in to a flowing and fearsome fight at the Manchester Arena but ultimately lost his WBA world lightweight title and missed out on the coveted vacant Ring Magazine belt. Linares is now definitely the top lightweight in the world, silencing an emotionally charged crowd even before the scores of 115-114, 117-111 and 115-113 were read out.”

The opening round saw Linares (41-3-KO27) stamp his class on Crolla, his left uppercut and three-punch combinations were expected and a left-right under the ribs showed he was never going to make a slow start.

Sky Sports said Crolla (31-5-3-KO13) kept pressing in the second, taking another body shot and another uppercut and although 'Millon Dollar' responded it was the Venezuelan who was in front, the third round going his way with a beautiful and bruising five-punch combination ending with a crisp right to the temple.

Typically, Crolla came out firing in the fourth, two rights upstairs sandwiched by a left body shot of his own gave him some momentum. Linares' counter-punching was a constant threat although when he had him in a corner, the Mancunian felt he was caught with one below the waistband, and referee Terry O'Connor stepped in.

It happened again, the official warning came and by the end of the fifth round, Crolla seemed to be edging back into it, a left-right-left and an overhand right seeming to shake the three-weight world champion for the first time.

But Sky Sports noted that Linares regained his composure in the sixth and seventh, the right uppercut and another right really troubling Crolla, only for an overhand right in response to suggest we were already heading to the scorecards.

Crolla did much better in the seventh as Linares looked to be tiring and was caught in the corner again, suffering several clean shots. But it was another shift in the eighth with a stunning five-punch combination from Linares that saw his class return.

There was a general drop in pace in the eighth as both seemed to have given it everything but Crolla was the next to pop in the better shots. The occasional clinical left-right and a trio of unanswered rights at the end of the 10th again reaffirmed the edge and experience of Linares. The 11th saw more of the same, Crolla trying but almost knowing he had six minutes to come up with the sort of stunning success that even he could not manage.

Sky Sports noted that Crolla “ kept pressing, he kept pushing but Linares kept countering, even jabbing on his way back and at times in the penultimate round, he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying his second trip to the United Kingdom. Both ended on the offensive and with cuts above their eyes but it was there for all to see that Crolla's sensational rise had been reined in by a quality operator, who had gone the full 12 rounds for the first time.”

Crolla's promoter, Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport, revealed that a rematch clause is in place.

"There's a rematch clause. It's the biggest fight for Linares. I don't envisage any problems," said Hearn.

"Because Anthony put up such a good fight the 12-13,000 that were in the Manchester Arena for the first fight will increase next time.

"And because the money will be big and Linares will think he can win again, they'll be thinking 'bring it on'."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4058 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 271  Next