Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 488  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Billy Joe Saunders: Without Boxing, Tyson Fury May Not See 30

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury says he is "here to stay" after earlier suggesting he had retired from boxing.

The British fighter, who withdrew from his 29 October rematch with Wladimir Klitschko because of reported mental health issues, had tweeted: "I'm the greatest, and also retired."

But three hours later Fury, 28, was back on social media to suggest his earlier claim had been a joke.

"Hahahaha, you think you will get rid of the Gypsy King that easy?" he said. "I'm here to stay. #TheGreatest. Just shows you what the media are like. Tut tut.

"Soon as I get better I'll be defending what's mine - the heavyweight throne."

He added: "Good news is I'm getting the right help and I'll be back even stronger than before, try and stop me!"

Fury had been scheduled to earn the biggest purse of his career for his second fight with Klitschko at Manchester Arena this month.

He postponed the original rematch against the Ukrainian, which was scheduled for July, after injuring an ankle in training.

He was given 10 days by the World Boxing Organisation to provide detailed reasons for his second withdrawal.

Fury, who holds the WBA, IBO and WBO titles, also faces a hearing in November into a charge for an alleged doping violation.

He was charged by the UK Anti-Doping Agency (Ukad) in June, after traces of a banned substance were allegedly found in a urine sample.

The fighter has denied allegations of doping. It has also been alleged he refused to give a sample, having been visited by Ukad. An athlete who refuses to take a drugs test can be banned for four years.

It is almost a year since Fury beat Klitschko on points - the 40-year-old's first loss since 2004 - to gain the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO titles, with American Deontay Wilder holding the WBC belt.

Within two weeks, Fury was stripped of the IBF title because he was unable to fight mandatory challenger Vyacheslav Glazkov - and that belt is now held by rival British world heavyweight champion Joshua.

Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn has claimed Fury would never fight again, prompting the champion's trainer and uncle, Peter Fury, to state his nephew would return to the ring next year.

Fury's close friend, WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders, believe the fighter will end up in a tragic way without boxing.

"At the minute he's making decisions he's not fit to make. He's mentally unfit," Saunders told BBC's boxing correspondent Mike Costello.

"We need to get him back in the ring, if you take his boxing away I honestly don't think Tyson will see 30."
8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:15 am 
Heavyweight

What Time Is the Fury Apocalypse?

By Robert Ecksel on October 1, 2016

Despite his old school customs and way of thinking, Fury has some explaining to do.

Heavyweight champion of the world Tyson Fury needs to have his head examined. With his WBA/WBO/Ring Magazine heavyweight belts in jeopardy after having been declared “mentally unfit” to fight Klitschko a second time on October 29, the big man with the big persona and ambition may also be a big hypocrite.

ESPN has reported that Fury tested positive for cocaine after failing a random Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) urine test conducted on September 22, in the run up to the fight with Klitschko.

A letter from VADA president Dr. Margaret Goodman sent to Fury and published by ESPN reads, “This letter is to advise you that the ‘A’ sample urine specimen number 4006253 collected from Tyson Fury on September 22, 2016 in Lancaster, England through his participation in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) program has been analyzed for anabolic agents, diuretics, beta-2 agonists, stimulants and drugs of abuse. The results of the analysis are as follows: Adverse. Urine specimen contains benzoylecgonine (cocaine).

“Mr. Fury has the right to promptly request analysis of the ‘B’ sample at his expense.”

Fury took the news in stride. He posted a photo of his head photoshopped onto Al Pacino’s body in one of the actor’s signature roles. Scarface/Fury looks calculating, scowling and sinister on the cusp of conquering the world, while playing peek-a-boo behind a mountain range of blow.

There’s a hash tag beneath the photo. It reads: #Tysonmontana

We don’t want to jump to conclusions. Fair is fair, innocent until proven guilty, it might have something Fury ate. Granted, he has no more need for the establishment and the tripe they espouse than he has for those who don’t find him fascinating. But the handful of us who consider the heavyweight title sacred, and not a big red rubber ball for a child, think Fury is an embarrassment. His saga, somewhat matter of fact and routine, is less about “severe depression” than about having too much of a good time to remain heavyweight champion of the world.

Despite his old school customs, his old school ways, his old school way of thinking, Fury has some explaining to do. He imagines he’s a traditionalist, upholder of the old verities, a knight in shining armor placed on God’s earth to save mankind from itself. But there’s something of the anarchic punk rocker—the screw you, take it in the eye, take in the arse—attitude in the soon to be former champion. Fury’s outsider status is genuine. He’s no more fraudulent than Johnny Rotten. He is who he appears to be, with or without cocaine.

I admire his rambunctiousness, the endearing yet threatening ***** savant that yearns to be patted on the head, as if his head could be reached. Were it not for boxing and what he achieved and appears to have thrown away, Fury would be of middling interest.

Boxing deserves better. We’ve come a long way from Gene Tunney. We’ve come a long way from Wladimir Klitschko. Klitschko’s manager, Bernd Bönte, upon hearing the cocaine allegation, told ESPN, “I think Fury is probably the most unworthy heavyweight champion in history, not only because of this situation but because of the whole package of his sexist comments, his anti-Semitic comments and his homophobic comments.”

Once upon a time, boxing in faraway Regency England was called the “noble art”; a bit of poetic license, perhaps, but for good reason. What is more poetic, not to say more noble and artful, than one man beating another senseless? Some consider it barbaric, beyond the pale.

But the romance of boxing endures, warts and all, with or without Tyson Fury.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:02 am 
Heavyweight

Jessie Vargas predicts 8th round KO of Pacquiao

By Chris Williams: 

WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) says he’s going to be looking to KO challenger Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) in their fight on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Vargas believes he’s on his way to becoming a legend in boxing. He says he’s beaten guys in the past that were going to be future superstars and had 80% knockout percentages on their resumes.

Thus far, Vargas’ resume is kind of thin in the talent department. His best wins have come against Josesito Lopez, Anton Novikov, Khabib Allakhverdiev, Vivian Harris, Ray Narh, Wale Omotoso, Aaron Martinez, Lanardo Tyner and Sadam Ali. Those guys aren’t on their way to becoming superstars.

You can argue that Vargas deserved losses to Lopez, Novikov and Allakhverdiev. A lot of boxing fans saw Vargas losing all three of those fights. I had Vargas losing those fights as well. I do think Vargas looked good in his last fight against Sadam Ali last March in stopping him in the 9th round. However, Ali was an unproven fighter who had done nothing in his career other than beating Luis Carlos Abregu and Francisco Santana.

Vargas says he’s punching better with the help of his training team, and he’s going to be looking to take the 37-year-old Pacquiao out at the first opportunity, Vargas, 27, realizes the importance of knockouts in the career of a fighter, and that’s what he wants to do on November 5 against Pacquiao. What Vargas has working against him is the fact that he’s never been a knockout puncher during his eight-year pro career. His KO percentage is just 36%. Vargas says he’s tried to box his opponents in the past. In this case, he wants to slug and get knockouts so that he can become a star.

Pacquiao vs. Vargas will be televised on Top Rank pay-per-view. HBO won’t be involved. It’s unclear how many PPV buys the fight will be getting without HBO and without Pacquiao facing a big name. However, the match-making that has been done for Pacquiao in recent years has been really poor with him being matched against Chris Algieri, Brandon Rios, Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey and three times with Tim Bradley. In the case of the Bradley vs. Pacquiao match-up, it only made sense to be made once.

Instead, the boxing fans saw them matched against each other three times. You could imagine they would continue to be matched against each other in Top Rank in house fights even more if their last fight in April had brought in good pay-per-view numbers. It didn’t, so there’s a chance they won’t face each other again.

Vargas believes that he’s going to be able to outdo Pacquiao in the hand speed department. Vargas doesn’t have great hand speed and never has. However, he thinks he’s going to be able to improve his hand speed in training camp to where he’ll be faster than Pacquiao on November. Normally, hand speed is something a fighter is born with to a large degree.

You either have fast reflexes and fast twitch muscle fibers or you don’t. It’ not something you can change. If that were the case, you’d have every fighter as fast as Floyd Mayweather Jr. was during the prime of his career. Vargas is likely not going to be any faster or stronger than he was in his previous fights. He’ thinks he’s going to match Pacquiao’s hand speed, and that he’s going to be punching with more power. It’s doubtful that he’ll be able to do either of those things.

Vargas said this to the boxing media:

“I see Jessie Vargas winning in super fashion. I will stay on top and become a legend myself. He has a lot left in the tank, but I’m ready. I’m ready for the best Manny Pacquiao that will show up on that night, and it’s my time to shine. I’m used to being the underdog. We’re setting to outdo Manny Pacquiao when it comes to speed. We’re going to be faster than him. We know we can match it. We knew that before. That’s a goal of mine, to be faster than Manny Pacquiao. If he was able to reach a certain amount of speed, then I can increase it and take it to another level. That’s what I’m going to do on November 5th. I beat the guys that are future superstars with KO percentages of 80 percent. They’re animals. When I beat them and they say, ‘Oh well, they weren’t that good anyways.’ I just have to beat who is in front of me whether you like it or not. They want to see knockouts. I’m going to prove everybody wrong once again come November 5th. I’m going to show them I’m the real deal. I’m going for a knockout. The minute that he gives me that opening I’m taking it. The 8th round sounds very, very good to me.”

Vargas might get hurt if he tries too hard to get a knockout against Pacquiao. Vargas might get clipped with something big from Pacquiao if he goes out swinging for the fences on November 5. Vargas would be far better to stick with what got him to this point in his career by focusing on boxing. Vargas usually likes to move around in circles, jab, and hold and throw single shots. He likes to tie up a lot. He’s one of those type of fighters.

It’s going to be tough for Vargas to change his spots and become an offensive type of fighter to get a knockout over Pacquiao. If Vargas can knockout Pacquiao, then it’s clearly the end for Pacquiao. Another KO loss for Pacquiao would be bad news for his boxing career. But as old as Pacquiao is and as many fights as he’s had, I don’t know if you could say for sure that it was a signal that Vargas is a great fighter. It would be more of a case of Pacquiao being over-the-hill.

If Vargas’ promoter Bob Arum would match him against a good fighter outside of his Top Rank stable like Errol Spence Jr., Keith Thurman or Shawn Porter, then the fans could see whether Vargas is any good or not. Until then, you have to look at Vargas as the same guy that lost to Tim Bradley in 2015 and got controversial wins over Novikov, Allakhverdiev and Lopez.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Tabugon arrives in Mexico for Estrada clash

Filipino super flyweight Raymond “Tornado” Tabugon (18-5-1, 8 KOs) of General Santos City arrived in Mexico on October 4 to face former world champion Juan Francisco “El Gallo” Estrada of Mexico on October 8 at the Estadio Francisco León García in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico. Tabugon and his team arrived via Los Angeles, according to his manager Jim Claude Manangquil, chief executive officer of the Sanman Promotions.

“Tabugon and his team arrived ahead of his fight with Estrada,” said Manangquil. “Tabugon’s preparation is OK. And he is good to go for October 8. I expect Tabugon to fight hard like he always does. This is a big opportunity for him.”

Estrada, a former WBA super world flyweight and WBO world flyweight champion is toting a record of 33 wins with 22 knockouts and only 2 losses.

The 25-year old Tabugon, however, is coming from a 5th round technical knockout loss against Makazole Tete in their battle for the vacant IBF Inter-Continental super flyweight crown held July 29 at the Orient Theatre, East London in Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Tabugon last won against Renante Suacasa by a 6th round TKO win to capture the PBF super flyweight title last March 8 in T’boli, South Cotabato.

“This is a big opportunity for me. I am fighting a very good world class boxer but i will not be intimidated and will do everything to get an upset,” said Tabugon.

Estrada, on the other hand, last saw action when he retained his WBA super world flyweight and WBO world flyweight crowns via a 10th round knockout win against Hernan Marquez last September 26, 2015 in Mexico.

Estrada reportedly now also wants a rematch with WBC World super flyweight champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (46W-38KOs), who recently retained his title via a UD against Carlos Cuadras last Sept. 10 at the Forum in Inglewood, California.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Jessie Vargas: No Surprise if Manny Pacquiao Gets Knocked Out!

By Miguel Rivera

WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas is very confident in his ability after knocking off unbeaten Olympian Sadam Ali in March to capture the vacant world title.

The Top Rank pay-per-view event takes place on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Vargas, 27-years-old, wants to avenge the defeats suffered by his Mexican idols Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales. For a brief period of time, Vargas was actually trained by Morales.

"A month before the biggest fight of my career so far. I feel good, really. I feel sure of myself, I feel very strong. We are working hard and that's been the difference. I feel quite sure what I'll do in this fight," Vargas told ESPN Deportes. "I want to keep climbing, this is the fight I was expecting since I was a child. I will fight with a well-respected and well-known figure, one of the best in the world, and this is my chance. Once I beat Pacquiao I will be given a lot of respect and receive recognition to my career. There is a very small list of fighters who have become legends by beating Pacquiao. Morales and Marquez did.

"From what I saw in his last fight with Bradley, I think he was still at his best. I'm glad Manny is in good time in his career, because then no one will have any excuse. I want to beat the best Manny Pacquiao. I like challenges and I want to prove to people what I'm made of and that's why I'm happy with this fight."

Vargas believes that he's capable of getting a knockout victory. He hurt Tim Bradley very badly last year, but lost a twelve round decision. Vargas then showed off his growing power by knocking out Ali.  "If given the opportunity, if I see an open window, I'll go for [the knockout] - that's the plan. I feel very good with the experience I have now, but I will not come in there with the mentality that I can only win by knockout. I'm coming in there with the mentality of winning every second, every minute of every round. But I will not miss. I have the strength to knock him out, so there shouldn't be any surprise [when it happens]."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:31 pm 
Heavyweight

AIBA Investigating - Benches 36 Referees, Judges From Olympics

Amateur boxing body AIBA has sidelined all 36 referees and judges used at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics until an investigation has been concluded, it said on Thursday.

The tournament in August was embroiled in controversy surrounding the new '10-point must' scoring system, with allegations by some beaten boxers that they were robbed of victory.

Ireland's world bantamweight champion Michael Conlan was one of the most vociferous critics of the judging in Rio, calling AIBA "cheats" after he was controversially beaten on points by Russia's Vladimir Nikitin in a quarter-final bout.

"While the majority of the boxing competition in Rio 2016 was received very positively... a small number of decisions under debate indicated that further reforms in the AIBA R&J (referee and judging) procedures were necessary," the International Boxing Association said in a statement.

"The results of a specific R&J investigation, currently underway, will allow AIBA to fully assess what action needs to be taken.

"In the meantime, it has been decided that all 36 R&Js that were used at the Olympic Games will not officiate at any AIBA event until the investigation reaches its conclusion, along with further immediate measures adopted by the commissions."

AIBA dropped a number of unidentified judges and referees during the competition, after finding that "less than a handful" of the decisions from 239 bouts reviewed were not at the level expected.

It also reassigned its French executive director Karim Bouzidi to a new role.

AIBA said its Referees &Judges and Technical&Rules commissions had met in Lausanne, Switzerland, to discuss reforms and a 'road map' for the next Olympic cycle leading to the 2020 Tokyo Games. "Boxing was in the spotlight (in Rio) for positive reasons, but occasionally also for the wrong ones," AIBA president Wu Ching-kuo said. AIBA said that although the scoring system occasionally led to 'misunderstandings', it remained the best method.

However, the commission had recommended in future opening up all five of the ringside judges' scorecards to determine the winner of the bout. In Rio, the scores of only three judges counted after being chosen at random by a computer. The boxing body also recommended that, for greater transparency, the assignation of judges and referees for each bout be automated rather than chosen by a three-person draw commission. "Moving forward it is essential that the reputation of the R&Js is restored," AIBA added. "The judging system can never become a scapegoat for boxers and coaches who perform disappointingly in the ring and display inappropriate behavior or comments to media. "This will be even more closely monitored in the future and firm disciplinary action will be taken when necessary."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao: I know what I’m going to do with VargasPosted on October 6, 2016 

By Chris Williams: Former eight division world champion Manny “Pac Man” Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) has studied WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas’ fighting style well, and he knows exactly what he needs to do for him to get the win over the Mexican American fighter on November 5 on Top Rank pay-per-view at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Pacquiao, 37, likes to fight guys that come forward and try to punch it out the way that Vargas, 27, tends to do nowadays.

Pacquiao says he chose Vargas as his opponent because he wants to capture another world title. You can argue that Vargas is an ideal opponent for Pacquiao in a number of ways. He’s signed to the same promoter at Top Rank, so it wasn’t for the fight to get made. Vargas isn’t a big puncher, even though he seems to fancy himself as one. Vargas likes to slug, so Pacquiao won’t have to go looking for him on November 5.

“Yes he’s good for my style but I won’t [be] overconfident. I won’t take lightly this opponent. I want to make sure that I’m in 100 percent condition. That’s why I train hard,” said Pacquiao to RingTV.com. “I know his style, so we know what we’re going to do. I know what I’m going to do to him. My goal is, I want to get another title. This coming fight, Vargas is the champion so I want to get the belt again.”

Pacquiao is likely to meet fire with fire in this fight by going after Vargas to slug it out. The only thing that might slow Pacquiao up is if Vargas is able to hit him with jabs and clean right hands while he’s coming forward. Vargas isn’t that fast though, and he doesn’t have a great jab like Mayweather.

It’s safe to say that when Pacquiao elects to come forward, he’s going to be able to hit Vargas whenever he pleases. The big question is whether Vargas will be able to handle Pacquiao’s power and answer back with his own shots. We’ve seen Vargas struggle when he’s fighting guys that hit him back in his fights against Bradley, Anton Novikov, Anton DeMarco and Khabib Allakhverdiev. Vargas arguably lost to Novikov and Allakhverdiev, but the judges gave him narrow wins. The fact that Vargas couldn’t conclusively beat those fighters gives you a pretty good idea of his talent limits as a fighter.

Vargas does have good boxing skills. If he finds out that he can’t beat Pacquiao by slugging, then he’ll likely look to out-box him by moving, jabbing and tying him up to keep him from getting his shots off. It would be bad news for Vargas if he stubbornly decided to stand and slug with Pacquiao for the entire fight. If it’s not working out well for Vargas, then he’ll need to change things up if he wants to have a chance at winning.

Vargas recently changed his fighting style after his wide 12 round unanimous decision loss to Tim Bradley in 2015. Perhaps one thing that changed Vargas’ mind in choosing to become a slugger at this point in his career was the fact that he was able to hurt Bradley in the 12th round with a big right hand after he started to slug with him.

Before that, Vargas had been boxing Bradley and getting the worst of it by far. By the 12th round, Vargas was hopelessly behind in the fight and badly in need of a knockout for him to get the win. It didn’t work, although he did stagger Bradley. Vargas was unable to finish him off. In Vargas’ last fight against Sadam Ali, he slugged it out with Ali and got a 9th round stoppage win. Ali isn’t a big puncher, however.

“Jessie Vargas is a good fighter; he’s an A-level fighter. These guys are Triple-As, Marquez, Morales, De La Hoya, Barrera. Jessie’s not there yet,” said Pacquiao’s trainer Justin Fortune to RingTV.com.

Vargas is missing some major ingredients for him to become a top A-level fighter. He’s a champion, but only because he beat a vulnerable fighter in Sadam Ali to win the vacant WBO 147lb title last March. If Vargas had to take on a good fighter like Kell Brook, Shawn Porter, Bradley, Pacquiao, Errol Spence or Tim Bradley, I suspect that he would have lost the fight to all of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:18 am 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao's Blueprint to Earn a Rematch with Floyd Mayweather
By Kelsey McCarson

All his talk suggestsManny Pacquiao might still have undefeated, and currently retired, Floyd Mayweather on his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Pacquiao, who lost to Mayweather by decision in 2015, wants another go at the biggest fight of his career. 

Could you blame him?

After the fight, Pacquiao lamented an injured shoulder kept him from fighting at his best that night, and the bungling of the World Anti-Doping Agency-approved cortisone injection he was denied before the fight that night because of clerical errors backs his story up.

As does his un-Pacquiao-like punch output on the evening. Raise of hands of those who saw Mayweather throwing more punches than Pacquiao that night.

Yes, Mayweather boxed Pacquiao's ears off, but deep down, even Mayweather must wonder how he would have stacked up to Pacquiao that night had his rival been allowed to fight unfettered by injury.

Knowing what we know now, it would have been better had Pacquiao just delayed the fight. Everyone would have been angry, but aren't we all even moreenraged for not getting our money's worth?

We waited six years for that mess?

But as of right now, Pacquiao has no real contention that Mayweather should come out of retirement and give him another go. Pacman's short-lived retirement didn't help paint the picture of a dedicated fighter looking to take on the toughest challenges out there.

Honestly, his selection of Jessie Vargas as an opponent doesn't either.

But Vargas could be part of the puzzle pieces Team Pacquiao and promoter Bob Arum could put together to make Mayweather-Pacquiao 2 at least palatable to Mayweather and, even more importantly, boxing fans.

First, Pacquiao needs to look as good as he looked against Timothy Bradley in April. Like it or not, Pacquiao sans shoulder injury is a force to be reckoned with in a boxing ring. Bradley was dismantled that night, and if Pacquiao could at least throw more punches with both hands, he would give a better effort than he did against Mayweather the first time.

Vargas is a very good fighter, but Bradley is probably more skilled in most areas. It showed when the two fought last year. Bradley outboxed him over the course of 12 rounds but was hit with a hellacious punch that put him in a daze before he escaped the final few seconds of the fight to secure the win.

But Pacquiao? Vargas is exactly the type of fighter Pacquiao excels against. He's slower than Pacquiao, less skilled and should be mostly a brave, but overmatched, punching bag that night.

The win would net Pacquiao the WBO strap, but Mayweather held a total of five lineal championships in his career. Pacquiao's win over probably the sixth or seventh current welterweight in the world just wouldn't probably move needle.

Oh, but there is Terence Crawford out there. Crawford, also promoted by Arum, is one of the top fighters in boxing. He's the lineal junior welterweight champion, and he looks like the next great American boxer. He may already be one now.

Crawford wants to be Mayweather and Pacquiao's successor. He looks the part. He's been a force at 135 and 140, and it isn't hard to envision him as a great welterweight soon. 

But Crawford has never faced a fighter as good as Pacquiao. A bout between the two makes sense for both men, and while most would favor the younger fighter in the potential passing-of-the-torch bout, Pacquiao is right now still one of the best boxers in the sport.

In fact, both Pacquiao and Crawford are listed among Bleacher Report's top 10 fighters at any weight. One of our writer's, Lyle Fitzsimmons, even voted Crawford as No. 1 overall. A win for Crawford would move him toward his quest to be the superstar successor he sees himself becoming.

But as Mayweather suggested recently to FightHype.com, it would not be easy. Let's face it. Nothing great ever is easy, and it shouldn't be. 

And for Pacquiao, if he truly does want to get Mayweather back in the ring for a rematch, a win over Crawford would be something no one could ignore, and it could very well lead to Mayweather-Pacquiao 2, boxing's superfight of a century that could really use a redo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:07 am 
Heavyweight

Juan Francisco Estrada, Tabugon Ready For Battle

By Miguel Rivera

The official weighin was held for the super flyweight debut of Juan Francisco Estrada. As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Estrada officially vacated his World Boxing Organization and World Boxing Association flyweight titles. Estrada has been dealing with a bad hand injury which has kept him on the shelf since September 2015.

Estrada has now officially moved up to super flyweight, and his return will take place in his native Puerto Penasco against a fighter from Philippines, Raymond Tabugon, and Azteca 7, La Casa del Boxeo, will broadcast to everyone in Mexico.

Estrada weighed in at 116-pounds, while Tabugon was a tad higher at 116.5-pounds. 

At a press conference to announce the fight, Estrada (33-2, 24 KOs) explained that he's fully recovered from the injury to his right hand that sidelined him from fighting for over a year. The bout will be at the Ballpark Francisco Leon Garcia with Tabugon (18-5-1, 8 KOs) over ten rounds at super flyweight as part of a Zanfer Promotions event.

FULL WEIGHTS

Juan Francisco Estrada 116 lbs,  Raymond Tabugon 116.5
Emmanuel Navarrete 123 lbs, Martín Casillas 122 lbs
Víctor Olivo  120 lbs, Fernando Aguilar 119 lbs
Jessica Díaz 1222 lbs, Milagros Díaz 122 lbs
Eduardo Ramírez  125 lbs, Epifanio Izaguirre 126 lbs
Bryan Acosta 124 lbs, Leonel Rodríguez 125 lbs
Noé Robles 122 lbs, Ismael Camacho 122 lbs
Raúl Esquer  112 bs, José María Cárdenas 113 lbs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Vargas: When I Beat Manny Pacquiao - I Will Become a Legend!

By Ryan Burton

On Saturday, November 5th, Jessie Vargas (27-1) will face former champion Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2) at the Thomas and Mack Center just off the Las Vegas strip.  While Las Vegas is a second home for Pacquiao, it is Vargas' hometown and he is looking forward to fighting in front of his local fans.

"It has been a couple years since I fought at home and I am excited at the opportunity to fight again in front of my local fans," Vargas told BoxingScene.com.

The 27-year-old Vargas isn't big on making predictions but is very confident that he will win. He believes that this is the fight to cement his position in the sport and believes that it will send Pacquiao onto the second career of his life.

"I see Jessie Vargas winning in exciting fashion. I think it is a win-win for both of us. I will become a legend myself and he will continue his legacy as a senator.  It is a win-win situation for both of us," said Vargas while speaking in the third person.

Pacquiao-Vargas will headline a four fight Top Rank pay-per-view. The undercard will feature Nonito Donaire and Oscar Valdez, WBO junior featherweight and featherweight champions, respectively, and they will be risking their crowns in mandatory title defenses against their respective No. 1 contenders Jessie Magdaleno and Hiroshige Osawa.  The pay-per-view telecast will open with Chinese Olympic icon Zou Shiming in a 12-round rumble with Prasitak Papoem for the vacant WBO flyweight world title.  This marks the first time Pacquiao and Donaire, the two biggest boxing stars to come out of the Philippines, have ever shared the same card.

The six co-main event gladiators, representing six different countries, have a combined record of 158-8-6 (104 KOs) -- a winning percentage of 92% with nearly 2/3 of those victories coming by way of knockout.

Remaining tickets to the Pacquiao vs. Vargas world championship event are priced at $1,000, $700, $500, $300, $100 and $50, not including applicable service fees.  They may be purchased at the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office, online at http://www.unlvtickets.com/, at UNLVtickets Outlet Town Square Las Vegas and La Bonita Supermarkets.  To charge by phone call 702-739-FANS (3267) or 866-388-FANS (3267).  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:06 am 
Heavyweight

JUAN FRANCISCO ESTRADA TO MAKE 115 POUND DEBUT ON SATURDAY

PHOTO CREDIT: CHRIS FARINA
BY FRANCISCO SALAZAR

Goodbye, flyweight division.

After fighting most of his meaningful bouts at 112 pounds, including winning two world titles, Juan Francisco Estrada embarks on a journey toward a new weight class.

There are many lucrative bouts to be made but they will have to wait until 2017.

Estrada will face Raymond Tabugon Saturday night at the Estadio Francisco Leon Garcia in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico.

The 10-round bout will be Estrada’s first meaningful bout as a junior bantamweight and will air on beIN Sports en Espanol, beginning at 11 p.m. ET/ 8 p.m. PT.

Estrada (33-2, 24 knockouts) will fight before a partisan crowd as he resides in nearby Hermosillo. He made headlines a few weeks ago when he vacated his WBA and WBO flyweight titles, citing it was a struggle to get down to 112 pounds.

That may be the case but there are many lucrative fights at 115 pounds. There has been talk over the last few years of a potential rematch with former RING flyweight champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez, who, last month, won his fourth world title belt in as many weight classes.

There are other lucrative bouts against WBO titleholder Naoya Inoue of Japan, Carlos Cuadras, who recently lost to Gonzalez, and IBF beltholder Jerwin Ancajas of the Philippines.

Estrada has the backing of a major promoter in Fernando Beltran, who runs Zanfer Promotions.

Tabugon (18-5-1, 8 KOs) hails from the same hometown of Manny Pacquiao (General Santos City) but has lost two of his last three bouts. In his most recent bout on July 29, Tabugon was stopped by Makazole Tete in the fifth round.

Opening the beIN Sports Espanol broadcast is a 10-round junior featherweight bout between hard-hitting Emanuel Navarrete (15-1, 13 KOs) and Martin Casillas (15-8-1, 9 KOs). Both resides in the Mexico City area.

In an intriguing six-round featherweight bout, Noe Robles (10-0, 9 KOs) will square off against Israel Camacho (8-1-1, 5 KOs).

The fight card will air on Azteca throughout Mexico.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:45 am 
Heavyweight

Juan Manuel Marquez Won't Retire, Targets 2017 Ring Return

By Miguel Rivera

Former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez refuses to say goodbye to boxing. Marquez has revealed that earlier this week he resumed conditioning sessions with ring return tentatively targeted for 2017.

Marquez wants to have a farewell fight, as long as his body responds as he expects in training camp.

Marquez (56-7-1, 40KOs), 43-years-old, has been inactive since a May 2014 decision victory over Mike Alvarado at the Forum in Los Angeles, California. Several returns dates have been discussed, but they never came together.  The veteran had been dealing with a bad knee for over a year.

Marquez went through his first week of training with strength and conditioning coach Memo Heredia and he feels physically good. He plans to train until December and once the physical work is constant, he will decide what to do in terms of a 2017 fight.

"We've been working out in the gym with Memo, more fitness than anything else. The body is responding well, but I will not make the decision to return until I've been training on a consistent basis and I'll see what my body tells me," Marquez said on Golpe a Golpe.

For several weeks, Marquez was in talks to face fellow former four division champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico. The two sides were unable to agree to a catch-weight and eventually broke off negotiations.  

Many, including Marquez's trainer Nacho Beristain, believed he was going to retire. He admits the "itch" of fighting again continues to creep up his spine.

"I felt good [after training], but let's see how how the body responds when I have to go to the gym and I have to train every day. When we double up the sessions, six to eight hours of work, then we'll decide what comes - but we want to make that [farewell] fight," Marquez said.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Estrada goes the full ten against Tabugon

Former unified WBA/WBO flyweight world champion Juan Francisco “Gallo” Estrada (34-2, 24 KOs) scored a one-sided ten round unanimous decision over Filipino Raymond Tabugon (18-6-1, 8 KOs) on Saturday night at the Francisco León García Baseball Stadium in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico. Now campaigning at super flyweight, Estrada won every minute of every round, but never came close to stopping Tabugon. Scores were 100-90 across the board. It was Estrada’s first bout in over a year.

Super bantamweight Emmanuel “Vasquero” Navarrete (22-1, 19 KOs) took a one-sided ten round unanimous decision over Martin “Pini” Casillas (18-9-1, 11 KOs). Scores were 99-91, 100-90, 100-90.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Nonito Donaire Sparring Hard For Magdaleno Title Defense

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Five division world champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” has sparred ten rounds without a sweat against Cameron Dunkin’s southpaw fighter Manuel Flores and Filipino Joebert Alvarez and told The Manila Standard “it was amazing. I feel  great.”

Donaire, who is now being trained by Cuban mentor Ismael Salas, told us the coach who trained unbeaten Guillermo Rigondeaux among others had taught him to minimize unnecessary movement and to maximize what he does in the ring.

Donaire had previously sparred eight rounds with former WBA bantamweight champion Koki Kameda of Japan and felt good. He said he was physically and mentally prepared for his WBO super bantamweight title defense against unbeaten 24 year old southpaw Jessie Magdaleno at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas on November 5, alongside the WBO welterweight title bout between eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao and champion Jessie Vargas.

Vargas who has a record of 23-0 with 17 knockouts has expressed confidence he will beat Donaire and believes he has spotted some weaknesses in Nonito.

However, Donaire said that trainer Salas was “very smart, very intelligent and maximizes my ability to perform.” Donaire told us he “feels good and  ready to go.”

The two of them have been promoted under the same banner, Top Rank for many years, but this will mark the first card where Donaire and Pacquiao are featured on the same pay-per-view.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:49 pm 
Heavyweight

When was the last 15 round Boxing Championship fight sanctioned?

By Gerardo Granados

The hard core boxing fans already know the answer but it is possible that many fight fans to not to know it. It is even probable that some fans could be wrong on the date and fighters involved.

For many years I thought that the last fifteen rounder was the IBF featherweight title bout fought by Jorge Paez and Calvin Grove in which “Maromero” won by MD15, but I was wrong. In deed that must be the last 15 round title fight aired on American soil, but not the last one to be sanctioned by a major boxing organization.

The young fight fans must have heard of the epic battles that took place a long time ago when the championships rounds began after the twelve. I doubt that there is a single fan that has not seen a fifteen round fight on video and many fans must be able to make a top ten list. Just to mention a few I would list: Roberto Duran vs. Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard vs. Thomas Hearns I, Joe Frazier vs. Muhammad Ali I & III (Thrilla in Manila), Wilfredo Gomez vs. Rocky Lockridge, Aaron Pryor vs. Alexis Arguello I, Salvador Sanchez vs. Azumah Nelson, Danny Lopez vs. Mike Ayala, Thomas Hearns vs. Wilfred Benitez, Bobby Chacon vs. Rafael Limon and Wilfredo Gomez vs. Lupe Pintor. In case the reader hasn’t seen these fights I recommend you to search them and enjoy.

The World Boxing Organization was founded after the World Boxing Association, World Boxing Council and International Boxing Federation decided to reduce the title bouts from fifteen to twelve rounds so the WBO never sanctioned any 15 round title fight that I know of.

The last 15 round heavyweight championship bout was sanctioned by the WBC – WBA – IBF on October 16th of 1987, it was fought between Mike Tyson and Tyrrel Biggs with victory of Iron Mike by TKO7/15. This was the last fifteen round title bout sanctioned by the WBC.

The last 15 round title bout sanctioned by the WBA was the Evander Holyfield versus Dwight Muhammad Qawi in December 5th of 1987 with the victory of the Real Deal by KO4/15.
According to BOXREC data on August 27th of 1990, Harold Brazier fought against Buck Smith in a non-title 15 round bout that ended in a no decision.

The epic fifteen rounds are gone and now we all just can remember the stories of those ring warriors who had the chance to battle to the distance. Twenty six years have passed but it seems like yesterday when the genuine championship rounds defined who was a true champion from the rest.

The last fifteen round title bout sanctioned took place at the Rajadamnem Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand; back in August 29th of 1988 when IBF Minimmumweight Champion Samuth Sithnaruepol defeated by UD15/15 In-Kyu Hwang.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 488  Next