Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 477  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Results: Lemieux defeats Rios; Cox, Butler score UK victories GOLDEN BOY / WBN  23 OCTOBER 2016

In an all-out slugfest, hard-hitting Middleweight contender David Lemieux (36-3, 32 KOs) delivered a solid victory in front of his hometown crowd in Montreal, earning a unanimous 10-round decision over, Argentinian fighter Christian Fabian Rios (21-8-3, 6 KOs).

"With this win, David Lemieux has once again demonstrated himself to be a dynamic and resilient fighter," said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "This additional victory will open new doors for Lemieux, and we can't wait to see what the next chapter in his boxing career will bring."

In the opening bout at the Bell Center, rising Super Middleweight prospect D'mitrius Ballard (15-0, 11 KOs) kept his undefeated record intact, dominating Gergo Harvath (9-2-1, 5 KOs) throughout the early moments of the fight. In the second round, the Maryland-born Ballard knocked Harvath down three times before the referee waved off the fight.

Over in the UK, Jamie Cox defeated Christian Rios in a scrappy contest over ten rounds, whilst Paul Butler eased past Alexis Ruiz on what was the former world champion's debut under top trainer Joe Gallagher.

Also on the Bolton bill, Luke Blackledgewarmed up for a shot at Callum Smith's British title with a six-round points triumph, whilst Zelfa Barrett and Lyon Woodstockremained undefeated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao Feels Brunt of Long Flight, Takes Off From Training

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Eight division world champion, "Fighter of the Decade" and Philippine senator Manny Pacquiao skipped training on Monday afternoon in the Wild Card Gym of trainer Freddie Roach but had "a good, hard run" at Griffith Park in the morning.

Longtime adviser and confidant Michael Koncz informed BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that he "canceled training in the afternoon because he wanted Manny to rest due to jet lag" from the long and tiring flight from Manila to Los Angeles on Sunday night.

The future Hall of Famer arrived in LA on Monday evening to complete the final two weeks of training at coach Freddie Roach's Wildcard Gym.

Although the Filipino boxing legend will turn 38 years old in December, and is currently juggling Senatorial duties with the rigors of intense training, seven-time trainer of the year Roach is amazed at how energetic his superstar has appeared in camp.

Roach recently told Top Rank Boxing - "I like what I see."

Fight Saga quoted Roach who said - "I told him, this is how you win big, big fights...like the old Manny Pacquiao. I don't know what did this, but he looks terrific right now. His bounce, his distance, his speed, his power...I said to keep that going, just like that, and don't let anyone change your mindset. His mindset is perfect right now."

The heralded boxing coach understands how hard Manny can realistically push himself at age 37, and knows when his fighter should be "peaking" while preparing for a big event. Remarkably, Freddie has been genuinely surprised at the progress he's seen while preparing for Jessie Vargas.

“I have been training Manny for 15 years and even after all this time he still amazes me. He's pushing 38 and he still outworks every fighter I've ever worked with. He's had a killer schedule during this training camp but it's been really productive."

Fellow Wildcard fighter and sparring partner, Jose Ramirez, has been impressed while working with Pacquiao at the Elorde Gym in Manila.

"Manny has been sharp," admits the former Olympian. "He's looks really fast, and very explosive, throwing good combinations."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:35 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao focuses on Vargas

LOS ANGELES • Manny Pacquiao insists he is not looking past his upcoming world title bout with Jessie Vargas, but his promoter Bob Arum is confident the Filipino boxer will win that and take on Kazakh bruiser Gennady Golovkin next.

Pacquiao returns to the ring to face World Boxing Organisation welterweight champion Vargas on Nov 5, three months after ending his four-month "retirement".

But the eight-division world champion said he has not thought about his plans after the fight, as he juggles the demands of the sport and duties as a Philippine senator.

"Right now my focus is on this fight. Then I go back and do my job, then I could think about 2017," Pacquiao told reporters on Tuesday.

Asked if the 37-year-old expected to fight again, he said: "I don't know yet. One fight at a time. I cannot say yes right now."

Arum believes the Filipino icon will remain in demand if he produces a convincing win over Vargas.

"If Manny comes in and dominates this fight and looks like the old Manny and wants to continue fighting, there will be certain opponents that will be considered," said the veteran promoter. "If he decides that it's too much juggling two careers then he shouldn't continue.

"Manny may look so good in this fight (against Vargas) that we may be looking for Golovkin next."

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:26 am 
Heavyweight

Arum mentions Pacquiao vs. Golovkin as possibility

By Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said today that if his fighter Manny Pacquiao looks good against WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas on November 5, they might look at middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin for Manny to fight.

Arum had to be kidding, but it’s hard to know for sure. Putting Pacquiao in with Golovkin would be one sure fire way to bring the Filipino fighter’s pay-per-view numbers back up to over 1 million buys where they used to be at.

Arum said this about Pacquiao vs. Golovkin in today’s teleconference call as quoted by Dan Rafael:

“Manny may look so good in this fight (vs Vargas) we may look for Golovkin next!”

Arum might as well throw Pacquiao in the ring with GGG, because he’s not going to get a lot of PPV buys if all Arum does is match him against Terence Crawford, one of his other Top Rank stable fighters. I’m sorry, but Crawford IS NOT a pay-per-view fighter. We just that clearly with the reported 50,000 buys that Crawford’s fight against Viktor Postol brought in last July on HBO PPV. I don’t think that Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face Pacquiao again. That ship has sailed.

Arum should be trying to maximize the amount of money Pacquiao makes for each fight. I don’t understand Pacquiao being matched against non-popular fighters like Jessie Vargas, Joshua Clottey, Brandon Rios, Chris Algieri, and Tim Bradley These are some of the fighters that Arum has matched Pacquiao up against in the last six years. I wouldn’t have done that if I was promoting Pacquiao, because I think those fights hurt his brand. To keep Pacquiao popular, Arum needed to match him tougher than he has. It’s no good to wait six years before matching Pacquiao against Floyd Mayweather Jr., and then go back to putting him in with non-popular Top Rank stable fighters like Vargas and Bradley. That’s a fail.

This is the way I see it. If welterweight Kell Brook was willing to step up and face Golovkin for big money in their fight last September, then Pacquiao and Arum should be willing to take a fight against Golovkin as well. If Pacquiao loses to Golovkin, then not a big deal, because he won’t take flak from the boxing public due to Golovkin being a middleweight. We’ve seen how Brook’s popularity has increased with his loss to Golovkin.

All Brook did was fight him tough for a few rounds before his trainer threw in the towel once he started taking punishment. You don’t want Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach to throw in the towel with him in a fight against Golovkin, but it would still be an interesting fight. If Pacquiao could give Golovkin some tough rounds, he might come out of the fight as a hero rather than someone who is being dumped on by boxing fans for losing the fight. The only way Pacquiao would look bad in losing to Golovkin is if he gets knocked out in the first two or three rounds. If Pacquiao can at least make it to the 5th round before he gets knocked out by the Kazakhstan fighter, I think he would come out of the fight in great shape.

If Pacquiao doesn’t fight Golovkin next, then these are likely the opponents he’ll be looking to match him against:

1. Terence Crawford

2. Tim Bradley – fourth fight

3. Jessie Vargas – rematch

4. Danny Garcia

5. Adrien Broner

6. Keith Thurman

These are not fights that will sell a lot of pay-per-view buys. Even if Arum goes outside his Top Rank stable to match Pacquiao against Thurman, Broner or Danny Garcia, I don’t think those are fights that will bring in a lot of buys. I think Pacquiao’s brand has been hurt too badly with his repeated rematches against Bradley, and fights against guys like Brandon Rios and Chris Algieri. At this point, I think Arum needs to shock the boxing public when it comes to Pacquiao by matching him against either Golovkin or Saul Canelo Alvarez. Believe me; the fans would pay to see Pacquiao fight those guys. They would be huge fights if Arum was willing to make them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:22 am 
Heavyweight

WBO #2 Juarez wins, calls for Donaire rematch

Photos: Rafael Soto / Zanfer promotions

WBO #2 super bantamweight Cesar “Corazon” Juarez (21-5, 16 KOs) scored a ten round unanimous decision over Richard “The Beast” Pumicpic (19-8-2, 6 KOs) on Saturday night at the Auditorio Municipal in Los Cabos San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Juarez dropped Pumicpic once in the bout as he takes aim at a world title shot.

“I want a rematch with Donaire,” proclaimed Juarez afterward. “We’re ready, I know I’ll defeat him more clearly and be crowned world champion!”

In the co-feature, local flyweight hero Israel ¨Jiga¨ González (16-1, 5 KOs) scored an eight round unanimous decision over former world champion Ramon García Hirales (20-9-1, 12 KOs). Hirales has now lost five straight fights.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:54 am 
Heavyweight

Sylvester Stallone visits Pacquiao at Wild Card

By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated October 30, 2016

Manny Pacquiao with actor Sylvester Stallone at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles on Saturday (Sunday in Manila). | Photo from Pacquiao's Twitter account

LOS ANGELES – A familiar face dropped by the Wild Card Gym here on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) to see Manny Pacquiao train and spar.

Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone is all praises for Pacquiao after seeing the latter spar six rounds with Raynaldo Beltran.

Pacquiao later tweeted a photo of him and Stallone that was taken after his training.

“He’s the best fighter ever,” the “Rocky” star said of the Filipino icon, who faces Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas next week.

“Even better than Rocky Balboa!” he added, referring to his iconic film character.

Pacquiao, for his part, told the media that he already expected a visit from Stallone, whom he considers his longtime friend.

“He always visits me while in training whenever he can,” he said.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny' fab five

By Richard Damerell

Last Updated: 31/10/16 12:38pm

Ahead of Manny Pacquiao's fight against Jessie Vargas this weekend, we pick out five memorable wins for the 'Pac Man.'

The Filipino star will attempt to claim yet another world title when he challenges Vargas for the WBO welterweight title in Las Vegas on Saturday.

During a 66-fight career, Pacquiao has claimed a variety of belts in eight weight divisions and beaten a number of big names. We've looked back at five of his finest victories... 

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12 ... ing-career

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Nonito Donaire Jr. shows off impressive belt collection
By ABS-CBN Sports on Nov 01, 2016 08:25 AM

In case you've ever wondered what a multi-time world champion's trophy case looks like.

Next to Manny Pacquiao, many people would say that Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire is the best Filipino boxer alive today, and they'd have a very good reason to do so. 

A 40-fight veteran who started his career in 2001, Donaire has made a name for himself, winning world titles in four weight divisions. Overall, Donaire has won eight world titles, including the one he's holding now, the WBO super bantamweight championship. 

Being a multi-time world champ, you'd expect "The Filipino Flash" to have an impressive trophy case, right? 

You bet. 

ABS-CBN's own Dyan Castillejo, who's in Las Vegas for the fights next weekend, stopped by the Donaire household and shared a video of the champ fixing his impressive collection of belts. 

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/boxing/news/2 ... tion-17348

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Photos: Vargas, Donaire, Valdez, Magdaleno Open Workouts

By Mary Ann Owen/Top Rank

In just a few days, boxing's only eight division world champion and the reigning Fighter of the Decade Senator MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO (58-6-2, 38 KOs), from General Santos City, Philippines, collides with World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight world champion JESSIE VARGAS (27-1, 10 KOs), of Las Vegas.

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-varga ... ts--110290

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao's Vargas Plan is Similar To De La Hoya, Margarito Fights

By Lyle Fitzsimmons

Manny Pacquiao’s been a boxer for many years and a politician for few.

But the Filipino has nevertheless mastered the art of competitive diplomacy.

As he heads back to Las Vegas for a fight that ends a retirement that really never got under way, the now-37-year-old Pacquiao is the subject of typical conjecture about what big fights might be on his agenda now that he’s returned to the ring.

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-var ... ts--110293

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Roach: A "Healthy" Pacquiao Would Beat Mayweather - EASILY!

By Edward Chaykovsky

Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach is holding out hope that Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0, 26KOs) will come out of retirement in 2017 to face Manny Pacquiao in a rematch.

Mayweather retired last September after winning a twelve round decision over Andre Berto. For the moment he has no intentions to get back in the ring. Pacquiao is back on Saturday night when he challenges Jessie Vargas for the WBO welterweight title at the Thomas & Mack Center.

In May of the same year, Mayweather won a dominant twelve round decision over Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Their fight was the richest boxing event in history, with more than half a billion in revenue and 4.6 million purchases on pay-per-view.

http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-health ... ly--110332

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:31 am 
Heavyweight

Roach: Pacquiao Outboxes Canelo - But We Need a Weight Cap

By Rick Reeno

Wynn, Las Vegas - Freddie Roach, trainer for eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38KOs), is very confident in his fighter's ability to outbox WBO junior middleweight champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (48-1-1, 34KOs).

Pacquiao is back in the ring this Saturday night, when he headlines a Top Rank pay-per-view event against WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas at the Thomas & Mack Center. Provided Pacquiao is successful in his upcoming return, Roach wants to get him the biggest fight possible in 2017 - and he views Canelo as the perfect candidate.

http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-pacqui ... ap--110329

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:52 pm 
Heavyweight

Fans Get to be the “4th Judge” for PacVargas PPV Title Fights

On Fight Night for the MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO vs. JESSIE VARGAS world championship event, Top Rank® will utilize Twitter’s (twitter.com/trboxing) polling functionality to allow fans to participate in each bout as a collective, unofficial “4th judge.” Fans that tune into Saturday’s live pay-per-view telecast or catch it from a coveted seat at the Thomas & Mack Center will be able to easily vote on who they think is winning each undercard matchup, with the winner being announced on air prior to the official judges’ scorecards. During the main event, fans will have the option to vote round-by-round. The broadcast team of Stephen A. Smith, Brian Kenny, Charissa Thompson and Tim Bradley, Jr., will deliver updates in between rounds, with scorecard graphics appearing on-screen throughout the main event. Employing this feature, fans are granted another avenue to engage with the historic night of world championship fights on November 5th.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2016/11/fan ... le-fights/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko Title Fight Sanctioned by WBA for 2017

Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko have been sanctioned to fight for the WBA heavyweight title in the spring of 2017, but the Brit must first successfully defend his IBF title against Eric Molina in December. 

Sky Sports News HQ confirmed the news and relayed some reaction from Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/26 ... a-for-2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:26 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao vs. Jessie Vargas: Preview and Prediction for Title Fight

One of the greatest pound-for-pound boxing stars of this century returns to action on Saturday night in Las Vegas, when Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao faces Jessie Vargas at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. 

Vargas' WBO welterweight belt will be on the line, although at this point, that particular title should be viewed as No. 4 behind the WBC, WBA and IBF belts in terms of prestige. 

Pacquiao, on the other hand, should still be regarded as one of the division's top stars. 

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/26 ... ght/page/2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 477  Next