Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 488  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:49 pm 
Heavyweight

His questionable chin aside, Jacobs was widely viewed as the most complete combination of boxer and puncher that Golovkin has fought since he turned pro in May 2006. Jacobs fought mostly a smart fight against a pulverizing puncher. He let his hands go at times, but usually boxed, often out of a southpaw stance, as he tried to keep Golovkin off-balance. “I think I won the fight,” Jacobs said. “I think the fans will support me on that. … I think I’ve gained a lot of fans with this fight.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:51 pm 
Heavyweight

A tiring Jacobs kept trying to pull off the upset in the 12th round, when he connected a couple good left hands. When the final bell sounded, Jacobs collapsed to his knees near his corner, as if he realized he had done something significant just by surviving all 12 rounds against the powerful, relentless Golovkin. Following a ninth round in which he landed a tremendous uppercut, Golovkin spent much of the 10th round following Jacobs around the ring. When Jacobs finally came forward, he hit Golovkin with a hard right hand to the side of his head toward the end of the round. Golovkin hurt Jacobs with a right uppercut late in the ninth round. The punishing punch made Jacobs retreat after his attempt at holding failed. Golovkin landed a couple more power punches as Jacobs moved toward Golovkin’s corner, but he survived the round. Golovkin connected with a hard right hand with about 40 seconds to go in the eighth round. Unlike in the fourth round, Jacobs took the flush punch well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:08 pm 
Heavyweight

With Golovkin pressuring him, Jacobs, again fighting from a left-handed stance, landed a sneaky right uppercut early in the seventh round. Golovkin came back soon thereafter to land a combination as Jacobs backed into Golovkin’s corner. Golovkin and Jacobs seemed to throw punches after the bell to end the seventh round. An animated Jacobs then pumped his fists as he walked back to his corner. Jacobs started the sixth round in the southpaw stance he employed in earlier rounds. He eventually switched back to an orthodox stance and landed a hard right hand to the side of Golovkin’s head that Golovkin took well. Jacobs just missed landing a right uppercut toward the end of the sixth round.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 pm 
Heavyweight

After dropping Jacobs in the fourth round, Golovkin seemed to stun Jacobs with a right hand to the side of his head early in the fifth round. Jacobs switched to a southpaw stance for the second time in the fight later in the fifth round, which appeared to keep Golovkin at a safer distance for the rest of the round. Jacobs also landed a couple powerful body shots during the fifth round.

Golovkin’s power became a factor when he drilled Jacobs with back-to-back right hands that dropped Jacobs near the ropes, about 30 seconds into the fourth round. Jacobs got off the seat of his trunks to answer referee Charlie Fitch’s count and was animated in waving Golovkin forward shortly after he got up. Jacobs boxed well enough for the remainder of the fourth round to make it until the bell sounded. Following two rounds in which neither fighter landed noticeable power punch, Jacobs connected with a left hand in the third round to fight out of Golovkin holding him down with his arm.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:15 pm 
Heavyweight

Jacobs opened the second round in a southpaw stance and spent about the first minute fighting out of it. Neither fighter landed anything big during the second round, but Golovkin was aggressive and spent much of those three minutes trying to cut the ring off as Jacobs stayed out of harm’s way. Both boxers were tactical in a first round that lacked action as they felt one another out. Golovkin’s victory continued to build momentum toward a pay-per-view showdown with Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez. Golovkin first is expected to face WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (24-0, 12 KOs) in a full 160-pound title unification fight June 10 in Kazakhstan. If Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) defeats Mexican rival Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs, 1 NC) on May 6 in Las Vegas and Golovkin beats Saunders, they could fight sometime in September. The 30-year-old Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) lost for the first time since conquering cancer in 2011 and 2012, and for the first time since Russia’s Pirog knocked him out in the fifth round of their WBO middleweight title fight in July 2010. Jacobs’ grandmother, Cordelia Jacobs, died the weekend before Jacobs boxed Pirog at Mandalay Bay Events Center and the former New York Golden Gloves champion admitted later that the personal situation should’ve resulted in him pulling out of the fight. He had no such distractions entering the Golovkin fight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Jacobs left New York for two months to train for this daunting challenge at trainer Virgil Hunter’s gym in Oakland, California. He also hired former WBO super lightweight champion Chris Algieri as his nutritionist and chef for this training camp. A fully focused Jacobs entered the ring Saturday night with a decided size advantage, but it didn’t deter Golovkin from being as aggressive as usual against a taller, powerful opponent. The 6-feet Jacobs is believed to have weighed at least seven pounds more than the 5-feet-10 Golovkin by the time their fight started. Jacobs skipped the IBF’s second-day weigh-in Saturday morning, at which he was not supposed to weigh more than 170 pounds, 10 more than the middleweight limit of 160. Jacobs also refused to allow HBO to weigh him Saturday night. Golovkin weighed in at 169.8 pounds Saturday morning and weighed 170 on HBO’s scale Saturday night. He retained his IBF title before the bout started because Jacobs couldn’t fight for it after missing the IBF’s mandatory second-day weigh-in.

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-dro ... rimary-nav

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Conor McGregor: I am boxing

Conor McGregor makes his mark as he watches Michael Conlan win his pro debut

THERE was an electric, Guinness-fuelled atmosphere at the Madison Square Garden Theater in New York on Saint Patrick’s Day evening, as former Irish amateur standout Michael Conlan secured a stoppage success on his professional debut. The vast majority of the sold-out 5,102 crowd inside the venue had come to celebrate Conlan’s pro unveiling on St Paddy’s Day, yet there was one man who received an even louder cheer from the vociferous audience than Conlan – none other than UFC superstar and proud Irishman Conor McGregor.

After accompanying Conlan on his ringwalk – wearing sunglasses and with an Irish flag draped across his shoulders – McGregor watched the fight unfold from ringside. The MMA hero – on his feet throughout – launched imaginary punches in an animated fashion as he implored Conlan to continue to throw his jab. When the referee stepped in to award Conlan the victory in the third round against Tim Ibarra, McGregor hurled the Irish flag into the ring in celebration.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Following the contest, McGregor was interviewed briefly in the ring, where he declined to comment on his own boxing aspirations – namely his well-publicised attempts to square off against retired former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather. McGregor said: “Tonight is Michael’s night. I’m here to support him and enjoy Saint Patrick’s Day.”

On his way back to the dressing room with Conlan, the outspoken and self-assured McGregor pointed at a group of journalists and declared: “You are the boxing guys. Watch me take over boxing. I am boxing.” Considering he is yet to even contest a professional boxing bout, many people would disagree with McGregor’s outlandish claim. Especially a certain Mr Mayweather…

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:38 pm 
Heavyweight

'Chocolatito' suffers stunning defeat to Thai Srisaket Sor Rungvisai in bloody, brutal battle

NEW YORK — Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez, the consensus No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, suffered a stunning defeat for the first time in his career by a courageous Srikaset Sor Rungvisai of Thailand by majority decision, and gave up his WBC super flyweight title in a brutal and bloody head-to-head, toe-to-toe battle that has fight of the year written all over it.

The sold-out crowd at Madison Square Garden loudly booed the decision.

When things looked bad for Gonzalez, especially with the gash that bled profusely throughout, it seemed as if he channeled the ghost of Alexis Arguello, his late mentor and Nicaraguan hero to pull him through.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:41 pm 
Heavyweight

But it was not enough to overcome Rungvisai and the three judges who scored the bout 113-113, and 114-112 twice for Rungvisai, a former garbage collector who was fighting in the USA for the first time. USA TODAY Sports scored it 116-110 for Gonzalez.

“I’m a little dinged up but I thought I won the fight.  I want an immediate rematch and to win my belt back,” Gonzalez said.

The 5-foot-3 Gonzalez (46-1, 38 KOs) was fighting on the undercard of a Gennady Golovkin-headed card for the fourth time, and third at Madison Square Garden. He earned $500,000 for the loss, to just $75,000 for Rungvisai, who improved to 42-4-1, 38 KOs.

“I want to thank the fans in Thailand for sending me encouragement and I was able to do it because of all of their encouragement,” Rungvisai said. “At this point, after winning this fight, I believe I can take on anyone, including a rematch with him.  I have to admit he is a very good fighter and he would not give up.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Gonzalez went down in the first following a right to the body by Rungvisai, known as one of the harder punchers in the super flyweight division. It was a precursor to what was to come. In the second round, an accidental head-butt by Rungvisai opened a nasty cut over the right eye of Gonzalez, and it bled throughout the fight. Another head-butt in the sixth round caused referee Steve Willis to take a point from Rungvisai.

Gonzalez was making the first defense of his WBC super flyweight title, which he won last September against then-unbeaten Mexican Carlos Cuadras in perhaps the toughest fight of his career. Cuadras won an unpopular unanimous decision against David Carmona in the fight immediately preceding the Gonzalez-Rungvisai battle.

There were nearly 2,000 punches thrown in this one, with Gonzalez landing 441 of 1,013 and Rungvisai 284 of 940.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Chocolatito: I Won The Fight, I Want an Immediate Rematch!

NEW YORK - Srisaket Sor Rungvisai of Thailand won a majority decision over Nicaraguan champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez in a bloody, 12-round slugfest to win the World Boxing Council super flyweight title on Saturday.

It was non-stop action at Madison Square Garden with both boxers punching relentlessly, and the previously unbeaten Gonzalez covered in blood from a clash of heads that gave him a deep gash near his right eyebrow in the third round.

"I'm a little dinged up but I thought I won the fight.  I want an immediate rematch and to win my belt back," Gonzalez said.

- See more at:

http://www.boxingscene.com/chocolatito- ... MEsnk.dpuf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Two judges scored it 114-112 for Srisaket, while the other judged it 113-113.

Srisaket improved to 42-4-1, while Gonzalez dropped to 46-1 in the co-featured bout on the card ahead of the middleweight championship match between Gennady Golovkin and Daniel Jacobs.

"I want to thank the fans in Thailand for sending me encouragement and I was able to do it because of all of their encouragement.  At this point, after winning this fight, I believe I can take on anyone, including a rematch with him.  I have to admit he is a very good fighter and he would not give up," Rungvisai said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 488  Next