Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:28 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Paul Wheeler

Gennady Golovkin reveals his dream fight, and it’s not Canelo Alvarez

Gennady Golovkin discusses who he wants to face next after beating Daniel Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm 
Heavyweight

FOLLOWING his close – and disputed – unanimous decision victory over Daniel Jacobs inside New York’s Madison Square Garden, world middleweight ruler Gennady Golovkin declared that he was satisfied with his performance, and was always confident that the result would go his way

“I think I won. I felt very comfortable [when the result was about to be announced],” Golovkin said at the post-fight press conference. “Sometimes I was waiting too long [to get punches off], but Daniel is a very good fighter. He didn’t lose control [of himself]. I didn’t have a problem with his speed – speed is good. It was a very good fight and a very good experience for me. In the championship rounds, I still felt that I had a lot of power, a lot of speed. I wanted the fight to go on longer.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 pm 
Heavyweight

During the bout, Jacobs’ switch-hitting style seemed to cause Golovkin problems – especially when the Brooklyn man operated from a southpaw stance. However, while “GGG” described Jacobs as his “best opponent”, he also declared that Daniel’s tactics did little to frustrate him.

Golovkin stated: “Daniel is very smart. A very good boxer. But he didn’t confuse me. Not a lot. I wanted a crazy fight, but he didn’t lose control. I had to fight a smart, quality fight.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm 
Heavyweight

When asked whether he would give Jacobs a rematch, Gennady replied, “Of course. I’m a boxer. It’s my job. I’m ready for anybody.” Yet when pushed on what his dream next fight would be, the Kazakh king responded, “My goal is all the belts in the middleweight division. [WBO titlist] Billy Joe Saunders is the last step of my dream. Hopefully we could have the fight in Kazakhstan. I’d want that fight next – 100 per cent.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Paul Wheeler

Daniel Jacobs: Gennady Golovkin definitely wasn’t the boogeyman

Daniel Jacobs believes that he deserved to get the decision against Gennady Golovkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm 
Heavyweight

PRIOR to his world middleweight title tilt against division leader Gennady Golovkin in New York’s Madison Square Garden, not many people gave Daniel Jacobs a real chance of securing the upset. And while ultimately Jacobs did come out second best to Golovkin on the scorecards, there were many in attendance – and watching around the world – who believed the American challenger deserved to receive the verdict over his Kazakh opponent. Unsurprisingly, Jacobs thought that his impressive performance warranted the victory.

“I’m pretty proud of myself that I went in there and gave it all that I had,” Daniel said at the post-fight press conference. “I showed some moments of true grit. The decision didn’t go in my favour, although I do really feel like I won the fight. I definitely think it could’ve been a draw – at least. But I won’t complain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm 
Heavyweight

“It definitely wasn’t a dull fight. We traded, we boxed, we used our skills, and we entertained everyone. I’m grateful that I had the opportunity [to fight Golovkin], and with the performance that I put in, I know that it’s not over for me. My future is bright. I’m going to keep pushing. I’m confident that I can go on to be the best middleweight in the world.

“This was a win-win situation for me. When you’re considered the underdog – like I was – and you go the distance, fight back and hurt the favourite, you prove to everyone that you’re a crowd-pleasing fighter. I knew I had to go out there, fight the best, and earn my respect. Now I’ll have to go back to the drawing board and see if I can get the rematch. If we could do it again, I’d love to. If not, I’ll move forward.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Much was made of Golovkin’s frightening power heading into the contest, but, aside from a fourth-round knockdown, Jacobs seemed to deal with his opponent’s punch potency well.

“[Golovkin’s power] wasn’t what everyone made it out to be,” Jacobs revealed. “He definitely wasn’t the boogeyman, knockout artist that everyone was saying about. Even when I got dropped, I wanted to go and trade with him straightaway again. I stood toe to toe with him right after I got knocked down. I really didn’t get hurt. He’s a fair-sized middleweight, but I knew going into the fight that I’d be the bigger man [according to Daniel, he weighed about 175lbs on fight night]. He came forward, but he showed me respect. He didn’t come forward disrespectfully like he did with every other fighter before me. My boxing ability and power demanded that respect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:24 pm 
Heavyweight

“I definitely thought I hurt him. Maybe two times in the fight. Not really enough to put him down, but I definitely saw him back up. I also heard him groan after I hit him with a hard body shot. I knew he was just a man, and he could be hurt.”

Much of the success Jacobs enjoyed in the bout came when he was fighting from a southpaw stance. This was something that the Brooklyn man admitted he had worked on in the build-up to the clash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Jacobs stated: “He showed vulnerability when I switched southpaw. If you’ve ever seen him fight a southpaw, he’s always shown vulnerability – against Kassim Ouma, Willie Monroe Jnr, Ian Gardner. I noticed some flaws in him there. I felt like I confused him. At times he couldn’t even touch me, and I landed at will. I’m really happy with my performance. In my heart, it feels like I didn’t lose the fight.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm 
Heavyweight

David Haye drops from WBA Top 15 rankings after Tony Bellew loss

The WBA World Classifications Committee released the February ranking, which goes from February 6th to March 14th. During that period, the WBA sanctioned 6 world title fights.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm 
Heavyweight

The American Keith Thurman was chosen Boxer of the Month, after defeating Danny Garcia on Saturday, March 4th by split decision. Thus he retained his WBA Welterweight Super Championship and was ratified as the best boxer in the category.

Meanwhile, the Honorable Mention was awarded to Kazakh Zhanat Zhakiyanov, who beat American Rau’shee Warren to win the WBA Bantamweight Super Championship. In this way, the organism reduced a monarch in the 118 pounds after eliminating the interim title.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Garcia and Warren occupy the third place of their respective categories, while the Ecuadorian-German Jack Culcay is the second best classified of the Super Welterweights after losing his title against the American Demetrius Andrade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 374  Next