Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 307  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Hearn: Canelo-Golovkin Deal Pushes Back Joshua-Wilder Fight

Eddie Hearn, promoter for IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (21-0, 20 KOs), explains that the unification with WBC champion Deontay Wilder (40-0, 39 KOs) is going to be pushed back - because of the recent agreement between middleweights Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez.

A few days ago, Golovkin and Canelo reached a deal to fight for a second time on September 15 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Hearn's offer to Wilder was for a fight in September - and obviously that can't happen now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:48 pm 
Heavyweight

Hearn explains that Wilder and his handlers took too long to accept the terms - with the biggest sticking point being the location - with Joshua having the home advantage of a UK venue.

Heavyweight

If the Wilder fight happens, it would have to take place in October or November - or even in February of next year. It all depends on the dates lining up for both Sky Sports and Showtime - and the available venue dates.

"We made an improved offer [to Wilder's team] about four weeks ago," Hearn told iFL TV. "On Monday they emailed us saying they accept the terms, now we want to see a contract. We wanted to do the event in September. Our original offer was based on a September fight

"Obviously Canelo-Golovkin was announced and it's only 10 or 11 weeks to September 15. Because of how long they've taken to come back, September's out. It doesn't work for US TV. It doesn't work in a build-up sense either.

"We're looking now -- if we do Wilder -- for more like October, November. Josh wants to do this fight at Wembley, we all do. But we can't do the fight in Wembley if it's not in September. Now we're looking at Cardiff. Now we've got to go back to them, go through the dates etc.

Hearn does caution that if Wilder and his handlers take too long to sign the actual contract - then Joshua will move forward with a fall fight against WBA mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin - and then face Wilder in the first quarter of 2019.

Heavyweight

The Wilder fight is 100 percent happening," Hearn said. "The max you're going to have to wait is seven or eight months. But hopefully you might have to wait three or four months. I'm almost certain this gets signed.

"We are under pressure time wise so I'm hoping they come back in good time on the contract because if they are going to mess around, and it's not going to get done, we'll jump in and fight Povetkin in September. We can sign for Wilder now for December or for February, no problem. But I'm not going to wait until July or August and still not have a fight scheduled."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence: A Little Disappointed, Wanted it To Go Until 4th or 5th

One of the most highly regarded fighters in the sport, Errol Spence, made quick work of Carlos Ocampo, knocking out the Mexican challenger in the first round Saturday to retain his International Boxing Federation welterweight title.

Spence, a former United States Olympian, improved to 24-0 in easily recording his 21st career knockout over the previously unbeaten Ocampo who was fighting outside of his native Mexico for the first time.

The fight ended when Spence hit Ocampo with a right hand to the body that sent the challenger to the canvas in front of a sold-out crowd of 12,000 at the Ford Center facility in Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm 
Heavyweight

"I was a little disappointed," said Spence. "I wanted to give the crowd their money's worth. I wanted him to sustain a bit and give him some punishment, but the body shot got him and I dropped him.

"It was a great victory.It was really short, so it is hard to describe. I took my time. I tried to use my jab. He was a little bit awkward, but I caught him and was able to actually hurt him," Spence said.

"I don't get paid for overtime. If I can get him out in the first, great, but I wanted to carry it, go to the fourth or fifth round for the fans."

Spence has not been taken the distance in four years, winning 11 stoppages in a row, including last year's knockout of Kell Brook before his home fans in England and January's stoppage of American Lamont Peterson in his first defense of the crown.

Spence now hopes to fight the winner of the vacant World Boxing Council welterweight championship decider in August between Americans Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:52 pm 
Heavyweight

Ocampo, who stopped countryman Dario Ferman in November in his most recent start, was completely overmatched in his first world title bout.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:58 pm 
Heavyweight

Photos: Errol Spence Crushes Carlos Ocampo in One Round

Errol Spence Jr. stopped Carlos Ocampo in the first round Saturday night to retain the IBF welterweight crown. (photos by Ryan Hafey, Stacey Verbeek).

Fighting in front of a home crowd at the Dallas Cowboys' practice facility, Spence improved to 24-0 with his 11th straight knockout and 21st overall.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:58 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Spence was fighting in front of a big crowd in the 12,000-seat football stadium that doubles as the indoor practice facility for the Cowboys at their headquarters about 30 miles north of Dallas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones joined Spence in the ring after the quick victory, winking to the camera while congratulating the fighter who grew up in DeSoto, just south of Dallas. Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and several teammates were in the crowd as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 pm 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:01 pm 
Heavyweight

It was the second defense of the 147-pound title that Spence won last summer in Englishman Kell Brook's hometown.

Ocampo (22-1) was fighting professionally outside his home country for the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 307  Next