Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:21 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 429  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:12 am 
Heavyweight

As he gets ready for his showdown with Lucas Matthysse next month Manny Pacquiao may have come up with one of the better quotes you’ll come across this week.

Pacquiao has always been a humble, dedicated, hard-working person.

You only have to look at the results of his boxing career and how he carries himself in interviews to see that.

So much so that he’s seen his personal and professional growth as a person expand year after year, to the point that he now transcends boxing in his home country of the Philippines and is an elected politician.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:13 am 
Heavyweight

Speaking on social media, Pacquiao captioned this photo with a quote that will make you think:

“SUCCESS is never owned, IT’S RENTED. And the rent is DUE EVERYDAY!”
True words indeed.

Pacquiao’s next fight takes place on July 15th in Malaysia and after fears it might not be going ahead, Pacquiao clarified during the week that it will and that as far as he is concerned everything is proceeding as per normal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:05 am 
Heavyweight

US boxing man meets up with Pacquiao, Ancajas

Published July 1, 2018, 1:00 AM

Manny Pacquiao receives American boxing personage Sean Gibbons in General Santos City.

by Nick Giongco

American boxing man Sean Gibbons made a whirlwind 48-hour visit to the country and accomplished two things.

First was to personally discuss with world super-flyweight titlist Jerwin Ancajas the team’s fight in the San Francisco Bay Area.

After spending the night in Manila, Gibbons next flew to General Santos City for another discussion with Manny Pacquiao, whose headlining show in Malaysia on July 15 Gibbons has a hand in staging.

Gibbons told Ancajas and trainer-manager Joven Jimenez of Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum’s burning desire to hold his sixth defense of the IBF 115-lb belt in Daly City.

From Manila, Gibbons went to Kuala Lumpur for a meeting yesterday.

Today, Gibbons heads back to the US to fulfill more commitments before returning to KL on July 7 from his Las Vegas home.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:08 am 
Heavyweight

Why was Nietes left out?

By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Sun, 01 Jul 2018

Boxing News, the London trade magazine that was established in 1909, recently came out with a list of the 10 best fighters to come from the Philippines under the heading of “Filipino Phenoms.” 

Topping the honor roll was Manny Pacquiao, a shoo-in for the International Boxing Hall of Fame. The publication described Pacquiao as “the most famous boxer to emerge from the Philippines,” adding that “Pacquiao has won world titles in eight different divisions----from flyweight to superwelterweight----and beaten Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Oscar de la Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto.” 

Next in line was Hall of Famer Flash Elorde who “held a version of the world junior lightweight title from 1960 to 1967 and made 10 successful defenses during that time.” Third was Nonito Donaire, Jr., another future Hall of Famer. Boxing News said, “Donaire won world titles at flyweight, bantamweight, superbantamweight and featherweight and was long considered the heir apparent to Pacquiao.” Fourth was Luisito Espinosa. The magazine said, “Espinosa scooped the WBA bantamweight title in 1989, beating Khaokor Galaxy in the first round and then made seven successful defenses of the WBC feather crown.” 

Hall of Famer Pancho Villa was fifth. “The first-ever Filipino world champion, national hero Villa won the flyweight title in 1923 with a knockout of Jimmy Wilde,” said Boxing News. It should have noted that Villa was the first-ever Asian world titlist and died at the age of 25 due to complications stemming from Ludwig’s Angina as the reigning world flyweight king. In his heyday, Villa was the toast of US boxing because of his flamboyance, charisma and exciting daredevil style. It was almost like Pacquiao followed in his footsteps. 

Sixth was Rolando Navarrete. “Known as the Bad Boy of Dadiangas (General Santos City), Navarrete stopped Cornelius Boza-Edwards in five rounds to lift the WBC superfeatherweight title,” wrote Boxing News. Seventh was Ben Villaflor. “A pro at 13, Villaflor became the WBA superfeatherweight champion in 1972,” the publication noted. Villaflor lost the WBA throne to Kuniaki Shibata on points in his second defense in 1973 but regained it from the Japanese via a first round knockout seven months later. Villaflor eventually yielded the title to Puerto Rico’s Sammy Serrano in his sixth defense on his second reign in 1976. 

Ceferino Garcia was eighth. “In a career spanning 164 pro bouts, Garcia fought Henry Armstrong for the world welterweight title in 1938 and then stopped Glen Lee to win the middleweight title the following year,” said Boxing News. It’s a crime that to this day, Garcia has not been inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Ironically, the man whom he dethroned as world middleweight champion on a seventh round stoppage at Madison Square Garden in New York in 1939, Fred Apostoli, is a Hall of Famer. Garcia introduced the “bolo punch” in boxing and posted a record of 120-30-14, with 76 KOs, from 1923 to 1945. He’s in the record books as the only Filipino to win the world middleweight crown and the Filipino fighter with the most career wins. 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:09 am 
Heavyweight

In ninth place was Little Dado. Boxing News said, “Little Dado, real name Eleuterio Zapanta, won world titles at flyweight and bantamweight and fought fellow Filipino Little Pancho a whopping five times.” Finally, there was Gerry Penalosa, described as “a former two-time WBC superflyweight champion and WBO bantamweight champion.” 

Several other Filipino champions could’ve or probably should’ve been cited, including Brian Viloria, Small Montana, Erbito Salavarria and Dodie Boy Penalosa but the biggest omission was Donnie Nietes. There’s no question that Nietes, who has won world titles in three divisions, deserves to be on the list of the 10 greatest Filipino fighters ever. He’s in the top 10 pound-for-pound ratings today. On Aug. 18, Nietes will battle another Filipino Aston Palicte for the vacant WBO superflyweight crown and if he wins, it will be his fourth world title in a different weight class. Nietes, 36, hasn’t lost in 33 straight fights since dropping a disputed hometown split decision to Angky Angkota in Jakarta in 2004. His record is now 41-1-4, with 23 KOs. 

In another Boxing News list, two Filipinos made it among the top 10 “good guys” of the fight game. No. 1 was Donaire. “He won the hearts of the Belfast population (he fought Carl Frampton in Northern Ireland last April) and conducted himself in a way that should become the benchmark for the rest,” said the magazine. Pacquiao was No. 7. “While his religious beliefs have led to some questionable comments, there can be no denying the good work Pacquiao has done in his native Philippines,” said the publication. Others in the “good guys” list were Anthony Crolla, David Price, Joseph Parker, Tommy Coyle, Gennady Golovkin, Ricky Burns, Frampton and Luke Watkins. On Golovkin, Boxing News said: “Fights like a destroyer, smiles like a choirboy, Golovkin has chopped through countless middleweights and then politely thanked them.” 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:12 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao Continues Rocky Style Training For Matthysse

Niall Doran

7 hours ago

Manny ‘Pacman’ Pacquiao is taking his training back to old school techniques ahead of his July 15th showdown with knockout artist Lucas Matthysse from Argentina.

Pacquiao is doing things his own way this training camp, and with the fight overall it must be said.

A change in trainer and with his own promotional company staging the event in Malaysia, Pacquiao is going back to his roots for this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:13 am 
Heavyweight

A Filipino icon, he has surrounded himself with family and friends ahead of his latest outing to the ring.

In his latest social media post this can be seen as he takes to the streets with his fellow training partners alongside him in public, as he continues his hard road work under supervision of armed authorities:
Pacquiao has been looking sharper and sharper in recent weeks with reports of sparring partners being dropped in training.

A win against WBA ‘Regular’ Champion Matthysse could possibly set up a clash with Amir Khan at the end of the year if Khan comes through his fight in September against Samuel Vargas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 am 
Heavyweight

PACQUIAO-MATTHYSSE FEATS, FACTS AND FIGURES 12: PACQUIAO IS READY SAYS BUBOY

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2018

Head trainer Buboy Fernandez says he is very happy with how his best friend Manny Pacquiao performed in training. Pacquiao dropped one of his sparring partners with a solid right hand to the jaw, as reported by boxingscene.com. The world's only eight-division world champion is nearing his peak and they will have to taper his preparations until fight day. 

“I would say he is already 85 percent ready but we don’t want him to peak too soon,” Fernandez was quoted by the Philippine Daily Inquirer. 

The boxer-turned-legislator entrusted his boxing career's destiny at risk in this fight so that's why he is training sternly. He hired in his camp strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune, who says that the grizzled fighter will prove critics wrong to show that he is still physically and mentally strong. 

Fortune is testing Pacquiao's mental and physical strength to prove the doubters wrong and that he is not past his prime. 

“He is right there where we want him to be right now,” Fortune was quoted by Boxing Scene. “It’s a sign that Manny is trying to ask himself questions whether he still has it or not. That talks a lot about his warrior spirit.” 

Buboy says he wants to see Manny do his best during the fight and not during training. Fernandez adds he has something in store during their last sparring day, which is July 9, when the team also leaves for Kuala Lumpur. 

"We have a fight,” says Golden Boy Promotions boss Oscar dela Hoya as he assures the fans that the World Boxing Association regular welterweight championship between Lucas Matthysse of Argentina and Manny Pacquiao on July 15 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia will happen as scheduled. 

“I feel very confident the fight is going to happen,” Dela Hoya was quoted by boxingscene.com. “I can’t give you specifics of our deal but I feel very, very confident that it is going to happen.” 

The world-champion-turned-promoter issued the statement to erase fears the showdown between Golden Boy fighter Matthysse and Pacquiao would not push through allegedly due to financial constraints. 

“I read comments on Bob Arum talking about Lucas Matthysse. Look, we have a fight with Pacquiao coming up within three weeks,” Dela Hoya emphasized. “He’s looking strong, he’s looking great, looking forward to it, and the fight is full steam ahead.” 

Dela Hoya added he would exert all possible efforts to make the promotion successful. “I might be there (in Malaysia) for about 10 days. I want to go out there and help Manny promote and do my rounds in Malaysia. I have my plane tickets already. So we’re set to go, we have a fight.” 

Pacquiao also swore that the title bout in Malaysia will go on, despite the pronouncements made by his longtime American promoter. “The fight will proceed as scheduled. Nothing can stop that. I am training hard for the fight and I never allow any distraction to destroy my focus,” Pacquiao was quoted by Boxing Scene. 

“Oftentimes, fighters are being shortchanged by the wily promoters, particularly those coming from Asia,” added Pacquiao, referring to Arum. 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 am 
Heavyweight

Amir Khan to face Samuel Vargas and hopes for Manny Pacquiao test

Britain's Amir Khan will continue his comeback against Samuel Vargas in Birmingham on 8 September, as he eyes a world title bout with Manny Pacquiao.

Khan, 31, did not fight for two years but returned to the ring in April with a 40-second knockout of Phil lo Greco .

He now hopes to close in on facing Pacquiao, who challenges Lucas Matthysse for the WBA welterweight title on 15 July.

"I have to win in such style I send a threat to global boxing," Khan said.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Khan added: "There are big names out there for me like Kell Brook and Manny Pacquiao. I want to be a champion again and want to fight Pacquiao.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 am 
Heavyweight

"I have been chasing him a long time to get that fight. If winning this shows I want it more then it's all about him accepting that challenge."

Pacquiao, 39, has been a world champion in eight weight divisions but lost to Australia's Jeff Horn last time out.

Khan's first-round stoppage of Lo Greco was his first outing since a brutal knockout defeat to Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in 2016.

Colombia's Vargas, 29, has three career losses, including defeats against Danny Garcia and Errol Spence Jr, who have previously knocked out Khan and Sheffield's Brook.

He represents a significant step up from Khan's Lo Greco win, which extended his own record to 32 wins from 36 bouts.

Khan added: "For now it's about not looking past Vargas. I've made that mistake before. He is the one who stands in my way for me to win a world title and get the big fights.

"One of my aims this year was to be as active as possible so I'm very happy to get back in the ring again so soon.

"Vargas is a tough and well-schooled fighter who has shared the ring with some top welterweights."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao sparred for 12 rounds Saturday and looked ready for the biggest challenge of his career yet at the Pacman Wild Card Gym here. 

The 39-year-old Pacquiao showed enough stamina and power in dealing with three sparring partners for four rounds each as he stepped up his preparation in his quest for an unprecedented 11th world title and issue a challenge to WBA welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse on July 15 at the Axiata Arena. 

With about two weeks left to go, Pacquiao's long-time friend and chief trainer Buboy Fernandez hid a little smile on his face as he liked what he saw. 

"We are right on track. We have two weeks more to go and Manny is ready. We don't want him to peak too soon," said Fernandez, who is heading the coaching staff in a major and most crucial fight in their storied career with Pacquiao. 

On Friday, Pacquiao went back to the steepest hills of Sarangani in a test of will and character and had a sumptuous breakfast overlooking the picturesque view of Sarangani bay and the adjacent Mt. Matutum nearby. 

Pacquiao started slow in the first two rounds against Arnel Tinampay but gained enough momentum to stood toe to toe with Jheritz Chavez from the fifth round to eighth and match speed and tactics with unbeaten Australian George Kambosos Jr. from the ninth to 12th rounds onwards. 

The only eight-weight division boxing champion, Pacquiao is headlining "Fight of Champions," the biggest boxing event in the last four decades happening in Malaysia. MP Promotions, the promotional outfit headed by Pacquiao, himself, has assembled three other world championship matches.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm 
Heavyweight

EXCLUSIVE Amir Khan intends to force showdown with Manny Pacquiao

Amir Khan needs to win his next fight to keep those hopes of boxing Manny Pacquiao alive, writes John Dennen
HE’S been pushing for the Manny Pacquiao fight for a long, long time. ButAmir Khan believes his September 8 clash with Samuel Vargas with finally pave the way for that showdown. Khan and Pacquiao were sparring partners when they both trained with Freddie Roach. Since he moved on to a new trainer he’s been clamouring to get Pacquiao in a prizefight. The legendary “Pacman” boxes Lucas Matthysse for a WBA welterweight title next month and Khan expects his bout with Vargas in Birmingham to be made an eliminator for that belt.

Speaking exclusively to Boxing News, Khan said, “We’ve tried to get the Manny Pacquiao fight for many years. We are going to force it. Manny Pacquiao or Lucas Matthysse, I’m forcing a position to be a world champion again. Because none of these world champions want to give me a chance so it’s like me forcing my way and becoming the mandatory, beating the guys on the way to those titles.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm 
Heavyweight

That dream could be upended if Matthysse were to beat Pacquiao. But Amir doesn’t expect that to happen. “It doesn’t matter, whoever wins that fight I’m going to fight. Matthysse in my opinion is a good fighter. A rugged fighter. Manny Pacquiao in my opinion is the best out of the two. So let’s see,” he said.

Therefore the stakes for his next fight are all the higher. He can’t afford to lose when he fights Vargas at the Arena Birmingham. “Every fight is a threat. I’m not lying. When Breidis Precott came to the UK he was nowhere near a threat to me. He knocked me out in the first round. Anything in boxing can happen,” Khan said.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:18 pm 
Heavyweight

“He [Vargas] seems confident. He thinks he’s going to win, he thinks he’s going to beat me. Look, he’s lost two or three fights in his career, winning 29 of them. So you have to show a little bit of respect. He’s been in with the big opposition [Errol Spence and Danny Garcia], he didn’t beat them obviously but this could be his chance. I’ll be giving him a full training camp for this fight. We’re giving him a full 10 week training camp. So I’m sure he’s going to be more than ready.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm 
Heavyweight

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN: Come hell or high water, fight must go on -- Pacquiao

By Eddie Alinea
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 30 Jun 2018

GENERAL SANTOS CITY -- Don’t look now, but in his bid to win back the welterweight belt at the expense of reigning titlist Lucas “La Maquina” Matthysse of Argentina on July 15 in Malaysia, Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao is actually putting at stake his legacy earned in 23 years as a prizefighter, amassing 59 victories of his 68 fights so far and becoming the only man in the universe to win 11 world championships in eight weight divisions. 

Pacquiao, likewise, is the first boxer to win the lineal championship in five different weight categories besides crowning himself, too, as world titleholder in four of the original weight classes known as the “glamour” divisions namely flyweight, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight. 

These and many more, Pacquiao himself said he would be bequeathing the world of sports, are guaranteeing that the fight with Matthysse, which was rumored as to not pushing through, must come to fruition come hell or high water. 

“I don’t intend waste these legacies na sinasabing magiging pamanang iiwanan ko sa mundo ng palakasan dahil lamang sa mga paninirang ibinabato sa akin ng aking mga kalaban,” Pacquiao told this OUTSIDER during a lull in his training here for that July 15 fight with Matthysse. 

“Like in my previous fights, dala ko ang bandila ng bansa sa labang ito at ayokong isugal ang pangalan ng ating bayan at ng lahing Pilipino na hindi ipagkakatuloy ng laban. Tuloy na tuloy po ang laban,” Pacquiao assured. 

And this might come as a warning to the hard-punching belt-owner, Pacquiao, too, doesn’t intend to lose this fight. “I am training hard for this fight. I know he’s preparing hard, too, kay magandang laban ito at hindi ako papayag na matalo.” 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 429  Next