Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 pm 
Heavyweight

"So, obviously, the second time around -- and that's the beauty with a rematch is that you can change up your style. You can adjust to your opponent's style, and that's the beauty with Canelo is that he knows how to adjust, unlike GGG that only fights one way, and that's coming forward."

Canelo has promised to make the proper adjustments for a knockout victory. He intends to start punching very early, from round one, and claims that his plan to let his hands go for the entire fight.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 pm 
Heavyweight

De La Hoya: GGG's Mexican Style A Gimmick; Canelo's Fans Loyal

By Keith Idec

Oscar De La Hoya doesn’t pay Gennady Golovkin’s marketing campaign any mind.

Much has been made about the Kazakh knockout artist’s “Mexican style” in recent years, more than ever since his controversial draw with Canelo Alvarez last September. The undefeated middleweight champion’s seek-and-destroy approach has endeared him to boxing fans from various countries, but promoting his “Mexican style” has targeted a particularly large, loyal demographic that follows the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 pm 
Heavyweight

De La Hoya, a Mexican-American who won world titles in six weight classes, doesn’t think that promotional push has had any impact on pulling fans away from Alvarez, Mexico’s most popular active boxing star.

https://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya- ... al--130931

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 pm 
Heavyweight

“Well, it’s obviously all a gimmick,” De La Hoya said Wednesday during a conference call to promote their September 15 rematch. “It’s a gimmick to win fans over. I did it with fighting hard and beating the best out there, and fighting the best out there. Canelo did it the same way. He’s a Mexican national and the Mexican nationals love him. So all this gimmick stuff about, you know, ‘Mexicans For Golovkin’ and ‘Mexicans For Pacquiao,’ that’s all it is. It’s a gimmick.”

De La Hoya mentioned Pacquiao because a reporter asked about similarities from when Pacquiao’s “Mexican style” was pushed by promoter Bob Arum before Pacquiao and De La Hoya fought in December 2008.

Heavyweight

Abel Sanchez, Golovkin’s trainer and a Mexican-American, has said Alvarez has lost respect among some Mexican fans for not fighting more aggressively against Golovkin and for failing two performance-enhancing drug tests in February. Sanchez has lauded Golovkin’s “Mexican style” for several years and has referred to Alvarez’s approach to their first fight as “Mexican stall.”

De La Hoya still feels Alvarez’s fans have remained loyal to him as their rematch nears.

Heavyweight

“It’s sad to know that there are a few fans that fall for [the gimmick],” De La Hoya said. “But it’s really nice to know that Canelo has Mexican fans that love him and support him a thousand percent.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm 
Heavyweight

The 28-year-old Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) and the 36-year-old Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) both figure to receive their fair share of support during an open workout August 26 in Los Angeles. That event, free to the public, will be held at Banc of California Stadium, the brand-new home of MLS’ Los Angeles FC.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:05 am 
Heavyweight

"ROCKY" STALLONE BELIEVES PACQUIAO-MAYWEATHER REMATCH IS 99% CERTAIN
By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com

Avid boxing fan and Hollywood's "Rocky" superstar Sylvester Stallone believes a Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao rematch is possible and is positive that the boxing world will see the two former pound-for-pound kings facing each other again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:07 am 
Heavyweight

"I think it's about 99 percent certain it's gonna happen," Stallone told TMZ Sports. "They have every reason - honor, money, history and you got nothing better to do for the weekend."

Revenue-wise, their first encounter breaks every record in boxing sales, living up to great expectations. These includes the ticket sales of 16,219 amounting $72,198,500. The total gross income is estimated at about $600 million.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am 
Heavyweight

The Mayweather-Pacquiao fight broke PPV sales records in the United States, with 4.6 million buys totalling over $410 million. It exceeded too much the pre-fight estimate of only $270 million from 3 million PPV buys.

If the rematch would be realized and could generate only half of the first fight revenues, it could still break the $150 million revenue record set by Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez, and the 2.48 million buy record set in the Oscar De La Hoya vs. Mayweather match which grossed around $136 million in revenue generated by PPV.

The Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch could be the third highest grossing PPV earner behind the Conor McGregor vs. Mayweather fight which Showtime officially announced getting 4.3 million buys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:09 am 
Heavyweight

The fight is surrounded with controversy including Mayweather's intravenous injection for pre-bout re-hydration. Pacquiao fought with a secret shoulder injury and later underwent surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. 

The Pacquiao camp had requested an injection of the anti-inflammatory Toradol for Pacquiao's injury before the fight, but was denied approval by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.  While Mayweather's injections were cleared by NSAC.

These "what if's" could add color to the disputes and controversies when two great boxing legends face each other once more.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:09 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao called on Mayweather after winning the WBA welterweight title from Lucas Matthysse "I have the belt, so it's up to him," said Pacquiao. “If he wants to come back in boxing let's do a second one.”

Mayweather answered in one interview over Fighthype.com: "It is was it is and Pacquiao is a future Hall of Famer, a hell of a champion and a hell of a guy. But the best man won and I was the best man."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Before WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia fought Robert Easter, Jr., he made it clear that he planned to face welterweight champ Errol Spence, Jr. next if he could get past the IBF lightweight titleholder. Garcia zoomed in on Spence after easily outpointing Easter to add the IBF strap to his collection. For his part, Spence appears to be willing to accept the fight and it could take place before the end of the year.

Many boxing pundits, including those closest to Garcia, wanted him to shift his focus elsewhere as he would be jumping up two weight classes to battle one of the fastest rising stars of the sport. The name that has come up most prominently for the four-division world champion was Manny Pacquiao, who is closer in weight and arguably still a bigger star than Spence. The idea of a Pacquiao-Garcia fight has picked up some steam and has gotten to the point where Pacquiao rival Floyd Mayweather saidhe was going to give the Filipino senator a call and try to secure a deal that would see Garcia and Pacquiao square off. The only person who isn't keen to the idea of a Garcia vs. Pacquiao clash is the unified lightweight champion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:38 pm 
Heavyweight

My dad actually likes that idea better (than Errol Spence)," Garcia told Fighthype.com. "My dad likes that idea and that would probably be better as far as the business goes, but that (fight) doesn't do it for me right now."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao returned after a one-year layoff and notched a seventh-round knockout win of Lucas Matthysse in July. He demonstrated that he still has something left in the gas tank against Matthysse with a dominant performance, albeit against a fading fighter. Nevertheless, Pacquiao provides Garcia the high profile fight he desires and wouldn't have climb up two weight classes. Unfortunately, Pacquiao is 39 years of age and doesn't have many fights left in his career, so Garcia would have to take the fight sooner rather than later if the Spence fight doesn't come to fruition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 374  Next