Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 415  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:46 pm 
Heavyweight

Nietes connected 194 of 523 (37%) total punches, landing 112 of 281 (40%) of his power shots and 82 of 242 (34%) jabs. Palicte released more punches, however less effective. He landed 124 of 830 of his total punches, a meager 15% connection rate, with 89 of 423 (21%) of his power shots hitting the target. He connected 35 jabs at a scanty 9% rate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm 
Heavyweight

"Tonight was my first time fighting at this weight. I dealt with his reach."

"I wanted to unify the titles. I want to fight him again."

“Of course I won the fight,” Nietes said.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm 
Heavyweight

"It was a close fight," said Palicte, whose record goes to 24-2-1, 20 KOs. "I was the best fighter in the first half of the fight. I threw punches. I landed punches. Towards the end of the fight, he was coming on. I'm ready to do it again."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 pm 
Heavyweight

Daniel Sandoval of California scored the bout 118-110 for Nietes, Robert Hoyle of Las Vegas had it 116-112 for Palicte, while Max DeLuca of California saw it 114-114 even for the split draw.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:00 pm 
Heavyweight

“Showtime” Shawn Porter earned a hardfought 12 round unanimous decision over Danny “Swift” Garcia to capture the vacant WBC Welterweight World Title in front of 13,058 paid fans at the Barclay’s Center. It was a war of attrition between the two 30 year-old former champions, but it was ultimately Porter’s bulldog style in the ring that proved to be too much for Garcia to handle. At the end of the championship rounds, the judges scorecards read 116-112 and 115-113, twice, in favor of Porter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:01 pm 
Heavyweight

In the early goings, Philadelphia’s Garcia, who is trained by his father Angel, continuously popped Porter with solitary shots, keeping the normally over-aggressive Porter at bay. There were certain times over the course of the first 9 minutes of action that it looked as if it were Porter’s strategy to not to rush Garcia, and instead, sit back and force the counter-puncher to come to him. However, as that plan — if it even was his plan — was clearly not working, Porter reverted back to his old aggressive style and began to march forward and take the fight to his counterpart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 pm 
Heavyweight

From the fourth round on, it became the fight that Porter wanted. Time and time again, each round played out in a similar fashion, with Porter, who is trained by his father Kenny, charging forward, and Garcia doing his best to pepper in counters to fend off the Ohio-native. However, more often than not, Porter landed shots on his way in, and then once inside, attacked the body.

It was workrate, and effective aggression that ultimately carried the day for the new champion, Porter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Judge Don Ackerman scored the contest 116-112, while judges Julie Lederman and Eric Marlinski had it 115-113, all for Porter. 15rounds.com scored the contest 115-113, Garcia.

The defeat marks the second loss for Garcia, who lost his WBC title to Keith Thurman in March of last year.

This was the third straight win for Porter, all coming at the Barclay’s Center, since also losing to Thurman in 2016. Porter’s only other blemish on his record is a majority decision loss to Kell Brook in 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 pm 
Heavyweight

“I tell people all the time I don’t make predictions. I made a prediction and a hard one to live up to,” Porter said after the contest. “I said I wasn’t leaving New York without this belt and I’m not leaving New York without this belt.

“I knew he was going to be accurate. The game plan for me was to be accurate from the outside and show we could beat him without roughing him up on the ropes.

“He tried to outhustle me, mostly at the end of the rounds. He did a tremendous job.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Garcia, who also spoke afterward, thought he he deserved the nod. “I thought I did enough to win,” he said. “It was close fight. The judges didn’t give it to me.

“He was throwing a lot. I had my defense tight so it wasn’t effective. I thought I landed the clearer shots. I thought I won this fight.”

During the post-fight Showtime interviews, IBF World Welterweight Champion, Errol Spence, Jr. hopped in the ring and had a few words of his own to say to Porter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:04 pm 
Heavyweight

“The same way that you called Danny out, I’m going to call you out,” Spence said.

“I think I’m the best welterweight in the division. I’m the truth and I guarantee you I come home as unified champion. I definitely want that fight against Porter.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 am 
Heavyweight

Rematch in order for Nietes, Palicte

Boxing pundits thought the older, craftier Donnie Nietes got the better of fellow Filipino Aston Palicte

Roy Luarca

Published 1:30 PM, September 09, 2018

Updated 1:30 PM, September 09, 2018

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 am 
Heavyweight

MANILA, Philippines – Officially, there was no winner between Donnie Nietes and Aston Palicte as their battle for the World Boxing Organization super flyweight crown ended in a split draw Saturday night, September 8 (Sunday in Manila) at The Forum in Inglewood, California.

Though majority of fight fans and boxing pundits thought the older, craftier Nietes got the better of the taller but rawer Palicte, the judges saw otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:08 am 
Heavyweight

While Daniel Sandoval had the 36-year-old Nietes the clear winner, 118-110, Robert Hoyle sided with the 27-year-old Palicte, 116-112. And to complete the perplexing scores, Max de Luca saw the 12-rounder even, 114-114.

So instead of Nietes grabbing his fourth world title in as many divisions and Palicte realizing his dream of becoming a world champion, the WBC 115-pound crown hangs. Neither one of the Filipino contenders, both Negrenses, will return home with the crown vacated by Japanese Naoya Inoue to climb to the 118-pound division.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 am 
Heavyweight

Exploiting his four-inch height and three-inch reach advantage, the 5-foot-7 Palicte led in the early rounds, but once Nietes got his bearing, the pride of ALA Promotions, controlled the middle and late rounds.

According to Compubox statistics, Palicte was the busier fighter, throwing 830 punches against Nietes' 523. Nietes, however, was more efficient, landing 194 punches for a 37 percent connection rate as against Palicte's 124 hits for a meager 15 percent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 415  Next