Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 am 
Heavyweight

According to Philboxing, the WBO broadcast panel of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman and Andre Ward saw Nietes the winner of the bout serving as a co-feature of Superfly 3.

But as things stand, a rematch will be in order and the Philippines will still be the winner. – Rappler.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am 
Heavyweight

Khan vs Vargas: Now or never for Amir Khan and Kell Brook fight, says Eddie Hearn

By Matt Horan

Eddie Hearn says it is "now or never" for a showdown between Amir Khan and Kell Brook.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:14 am 
Heavyweight

The promoter of the two former world champions and longstanding rivals was speaking after watching Khan climb off the canvas to outpoint Samuel Vargasin Birmingham on Saturday.

Following victory, attention quickly turned to who 'King' Khan will face next with Brook and Manny Pacquiao the two most likely candidates.

Although the Bolton star says that the Filipino great is his No 1 target, Hearn reminded Khan that if he wants to face bitter rival Brook, it has to happen next.

Heavyweight

"It's down to those guys, I think Khan has made it clear he wants Pacquiao or Brook," the Matchroom Boxing boss said.

"That was a big fight for him [against Vargas], there is never a dull moment with Amir Khan.

"It'll be two weeks off then we will sit round the table. Kell wants the fight and I know Amir will fight him.

Heavyweight

"It has to happen next or it will never happen, so it's up to these guys.

There's only so much we can do. We will listen to the public, we know Amir wants Pacquiao and he will fight Brook.

"It's now or never for the Kell Brook fight."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm 
Heavyweight

Late blood, no knockdowns: Porter decisions Garcia effortfully

Bart Barry

Saturday in Brooklyn welterweight “Showtime” Shawn Porter outworked Philadelphia’s Danny “Swift” Garcia for the WBC’s suddenly coveted iteration of a 147-pound title. The scorecards were fair, and the fight was even enough a draw wouldn’t have outraged anyone who wasn’t already outraged by other goingson. But the fight otherwise adhered to Premier Boxing Champions’ strange template of abundant drama followed by little suspense but Jimmy Lennon Jr.’s cardreading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm 
Heavyweight

Until the final halfminute when a bang of heads caused an abrasion halfahead from Garcia’s chin and some blood meandered its way to Garcia’s cheek in time for the final bell it had been another miraculously bloodless and upright championship match for PBC. Were the manners reversed – were prizefighters unable to break smoke rings suddenly starching fellow champions – conspiratorial thoughts would bubble. But this PBC conspiracy is something else entirely (and counterintuitively): Howsoever do so many competitive 12-round fights with men who can crack end so anticlimactically with their fighters no more scarred, severed or swollen than chiefseconds?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 am 
Heavyweight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:45 am 
Heavyweight

Canelo-Golovkin Rematch Deserves Your Excitement

By Lyle Fitzsimmons

Coverage of boxing from the sport’s dedicated media and the mainstream media that parachutes in for larger fights both tend to ride raves of hysteria.

When Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin met this time last year, the sport seemed to be in a bit of a transitionary period. It was one month removed from the sport’s second biggest fight ever—however absurd that may still be—between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor, and the former’s immediate retirement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 am 
Heavyweight

During the latter part of Mayweather’s career, no matter what else happened during the year, boxing was deemed to be “alive” once every six months when Floyd stepped between the ropes. With him gone, the two fighters tasked with assuming the responsibility of producing the crossover mega fights and generating all of the media exposure in North America moved onto the shoulders of the next two most popular fighters—Canelo and Golovkin.

The climate surrounding the first Canelo-GGG bout was strange. As much excitement as there was for the generationally great matchup coming up, there was a common theme of impending doom for the sport amongst many outlets—a “what do we have left after this?” kind of feeling.

As it turned out, there was no reason to worry. The fight was great, though controversial, it sold well on pay-per-view, and over the course of the next year, various other sources of momentum contributed to the biggest boom in boxing broadcasts in the last fifty years.

Heavyweight

Both Golden Boy and Top Rank have substantial output deals with ESPN, Showtime re-upped its deal with Premier Boxing Champions, which also inked a new deal with FOX, and DAZN emerged as a serious challenger to the established giants in the boxing broadcast industry through its polished streaming platform.

The rematch, then, has a decidedly different feeling surrounding it. It’s unquestionably the biggest fight on the boxing calendar in 2018, but there isn’t the same sense of need a dependency attached to it. There are plenty of tremendous and interesting things happening in boxing right now, and possibly even storylines more intriguing, such as the heavyweight triangle involving Anthony Joshua, Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury. There’s also just much more boxing on television or on your laptop than there was 365 days ago—there are good fights each and every week airing somewhere, and you don’t have to risk the health of your computer and battle through dodgy popup ads to watch them anymore either.

Heavyweight

There is also, perhaps, a sour taste in the public’s mouth heading into the rematch. Many observers felt Golovkin deserved the win, rather than the split draw that was handed out. Then, the rematch was delayed after Alvarez tested positive for clenbuterol, necessitating a six-month suspension. Now, in the eyes of some, the bout had a mixture of stains ranging from corruption to incompetence to cheating, making the rematch a little less desirable.

Both Golden Boy and K2 Promotions have done their very best to use what they have—a scoring controversy and a, shall we call it, tainted meat controversy—to feed the news cycle with inflammatory comments, all in the name of keeping the fight fresh in the public’s mind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:47 am 
Heavyweight

And you know what? It will most likely work. Not necessarily because any one thing any of the parties have said will talk anyone into the arena or into buying the pay-per-view, but because it’s reminded them just often enough that the two best boxers in the world right now are fighting, and that’s always been something people will want to watch.

Heavyweight

"Both GGG and Canelo, they have tremendous fan bases. This event, just like last September, when they get together, it really transcends boxing and a World Championship fight. It really becomes an international sporting event, almost like a World Cup soccer match where you have flags and you have the fans chanting, just a similar emotion and energy in the arena, and we expect it to be at an even higher level now, with all the controversy that happened in the scoring in the first fight, and, you know, the delay, the cancellation of the Cinco de Mayo fight, I think it's going to hit an even higher pitch with the rematch September 15," said Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions on a recent media conference call.

Heavyweight

"Whatever controversy there is between the two sides, you have to give them credit that they are getting into the ring. A lot of people talk about fighting each other. This is the second time that GGG and Canelo fought each other in 12 months and that's what makes it the biggest fight in the sport of boxing this year, because their fan bases, the international level, we have GGG fans coming in from all over the world for this fight. And I think we're going to break the level that was set last year for ticket sales, and the Pay-Per-View is also on track to be significantly higher than last year. So I think we'll see an even bigger event this time in September.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 375  Next