Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 432  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Round 9: Canelo comes out with several uppercuts to the head and body. Hard left to the body lands for Canelo. Right hook to the body lands for Canelo. Canelo gids two body shots on the inside, getting underneath Golovkin’s shots. Jab lands for Canelo now, who avoids Golovkin’s counter. Hook to the liver lands again for Canelo, who continues to walk forward on Golovkin. Two more shots land for Canelo, thi has been a good round for him. Golovkin lands a hook and then Canelo complains about an accidental head clash. Canelo 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Round 10: Canelo parries a jab from Golovkin to start the round. Golovkin lands a short uppercut on the inside and then Canelo comes back with a flurry and starts working Golovkin! Right hand grazes Canelo who then partially lands a counter. Hard right hand lands clean on Canelo! GOLOVKIN THINKS HE HAS CANELO HURT! Canelo weaves Golovkin’s onslaught and is able to keep from taking any other big shots. Now Canelo throws two shots to show that he wasn’t hurt. Jab lands for Canelo, Golovkin goes for a hook to the body. Jab lands clean for Golovkin, who now has Canelo’s nose bleeding. Left hook lands for Canelo, but Golovkin comes back with a strong jab at the end. Golovkin landed the single biggest shot of the round.Golovkin 10-9, 96-94.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 pm 
Heavyweight

Round 11: Canelo slips an early Golovkin attack to start the round. Both fighters are a little fatigued by the pace of this fight and now Canelo is back on the move for the first time in the fight. It’s short-lived though, as he stands center ring and trades shots with Golovkin. Left hook lands for Golovkin. Golovkin lands several jabs in succession. Canelo goes for a chopping overhand right that partially lands. Canelo walks forward and twos two shots and Golovkin shakes his head. Canelo lands a counter uppercut to the body. I think Canelo nicks the round on his activity and aggression. Canelo 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Round 12: Both fighters come out and Golovkin lands a big hook right away. Golovkin wants to make a point to finish this fight. Canelo steps forward with four punches and then Canelo slips to the canvas. Both fighters are trading at center right at a furious pace! Canelo throws a combination and is trying to outwork Golovkin. Both fighters trade again and Canelo gets in the best punch to the body. Canelo walks forward again with a couple of short uppercuts on the inside. Golovkin is bleeding over his left eye! Canelo walks forward and Golovkin lands an overhand right. The fighters embrace at the bell! Ugh! YET ANOTHER TOUGH ROUND TO SCORE. I’m going to edge it to Canelo with the cleanest shots I remember of the round.Canelo 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:17 pm 
Heavyweight

CANELO ALVAREZ def. GENNADY GOLOVKIN by Majority Decision (114-114, 115-113, 115-113)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Canelo vs GGG 2 results: Alvarez edges Golovkin by majority decisionYou can probably pencil in the third fight for May 2019.

By Scott Christ on September 15, 2018 9:22 pm

More controversy.

In a fight that may have topped the first for action and drama, Canelo Alvarez edged out a majority decision win over Gennady Golovkin, taking the WBA and WBC middleweight titles at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Heavyweight

Official scores were 114-114, and 115-113 on two cards for Canelo. BLH scored the fight 114-114 on one card and 116-112 Golovkin on another. It’s worth noting that one judge gave Alvarez the 12th round, which is very debatable, and that ultimately tipped things to avoiding another draw between the two fighters.

Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KO) started pretty well in the bout, but Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KO), who was never really trailing by a ton or anything, put together an impressive rally in the second half of the fight, and made his mark as the fight went down the stretch.

Heavyweight

It was hard to separate the two for much of the fight, probably even closer than their first bout, a much-derided draw a year ago.

“I’m very excited, I’m very emotional,” Alvarez said through a translator. “He’s a great fighter, but we tried to knock him out. In the end, we took this victory for Mexico.” He added, “He was connecting on punches, but they were few and far between.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KO) started pretty well in the bout, but Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KO), who was never really trailing by a ton or anything, put together an impressive rally in the second half of the fight, and made his mark as the fight went down the stretch.

It was hard to separate the two for much of the fight, probably even closer than their first bout, a much-derided draw a year ago.

“I’m very excited, I’m very emotional,” Alvarez said through a translator. “He’s a great fighter, but we tried to knock him out. In the end, we took this victory for Mexico.” He added, “He was connecting on punches, but they were few and far between.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Asked if he’d fight Golovkin again, Canelo said, “If the people want another fight, we’ll do it again.”

Golovkin left the ring and did not do an in-ring interview, which isn’t that surprising, as no doubt he and his team feel they won the fight. We’ll surely hear from him soon enough.

By CompuBox numbers, Golovkin outlanded Alvarez (234-202) overall, and threw more (879-622), too. But Alvarez did have a 143-116 edge in power punches, as much of Golovkin’s landed totals came from a jab that he pumped out pretty consistently. Alvarez had a higher overall connect percentage (32-27%) and higher power punch connect percentage (39-35%). Golovkin outjabbed Canelo, 118-59.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Golovkin congratulates Canelo, wants third fight

Gennady Golovkin isn’t raging about the scores from Saturday night.

By Scott Christ  Sep 16, 2018, 3:09am EDT

GENNADY GOLOVKIN

“We can say a lot of things tonight, but first of all I want to congratulate Canelo, because he left this building as the champion. I feel like I’m a champion, but he also is a champion. It was a fight of two champions tonight.”

“I felt very comfortable. I think we controlled the fight, all the jabs. Even though he was not running this time, it doesn’t mean he was controlling the fight. We were controlling the fight.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 pm 
Heavyweight

“As a fighter, as a boxer, I will continue to do my job. I will continue to work to prove that I’m the best.”

“We would like to have a third fight. We will negotiate it. It would be great to have a third fight.”

“I feel fine, I feel great. I have a very small cut where we butted heads, but otherwise I wasn’t hurt. I feel fine.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 pm 
Heavyweight

“I’m just a fighter. I’m doing my job. How to judge my performance, my work, is not my job. As a fighter, I’m just doing my job inside the ring.”

“As far as I’m concerned, he was not running from me. He wasn’t running at all in this fight. But that doesn’t mean that he won this fight.”

“I don’t think he really demonstrated some super, great Mexican boxing style. Yes, he was not running around this time, but it doesn’t mean that he won this fight. He didn’t do anything special.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 pm 
Heavyweight

ABEL SANCHEZ, Golovkin’s trainer

“We have to congratulate Canelo. Two guys fought a great fight. They gave us their all in the ring. Canelo is the champion today. He deserves it, he fought a great fight.

“Hopefully we can do this again. I think the judges it, what, two points or one round apart? It’s obvious that these two guys can make for great fights. So hopefully they do it again.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 pm 
Heavyweight

“We appreciate all the support, but we can’t be hypocritical and stand here and complain about every damn decision we lose. Look, the judges were good judges. They saw the fight in Canelo’s favor tonight. Maybe the next time they’ll see it in our favor. But Canelo fought a great fight, you can’t take that away from Canelo.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 432  Next