Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 429  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Andre Ward Reacts To Mayweather Coming Back To Rematch Pacquiao

by NIALL DORAN 

Former pound for pound head honcho Andre Ward reacts to the news that two other former pound for pound number ones look set to have an unlikely second meeting in the ring.

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao met in Japan this weekend at a concert with both guys releasing videos on their social media accounts announcing a rematch likely for this December.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Speaking to Fight Hype, Ward said:

“Floyd is a genius man. He’ll drop something at the right time in his mind. He got a stir today. I don’t know if it’s true. Selfishly I would like to see Floyd keep fighting. Time will tell if it’s real or not but he certainly got a stir.”

He added:

“I don’t even know how to see that fight. Floyd is going to be Floyd but he’s a little older. Pacquiao is going to be Pacquiao but he’s a little bit older. Pacquiao kind of against Matthysse kind of showed, I didn’t know he was going to have that much left Pacquiao. He showed new life.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:08 pm 
Heavyweight

He went on to say:

“Sometimes great fights happen when they (fighters) are a little older as the reflexes are not there.”

Lets see if it definitely happens first. Namely hearing confirmation of date, venue and broadcaster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao says fight with Mayweather to be 'finalized' this week

The senator says Floyd Mayweather Jr wants to fight in December but the schedule is yet to be discussed

Camille Elemia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:11 pm 
Heavyweight

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Manny Pacquiao on Monday, September 17, said his fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr is set to be finalized this week.

Pacquiao said it was Mayweather who pitched the fight when the two met at a concert in Tokyo, Japan on Saturday, September 14. This was more than three years after they fought in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:12 pm 
Heavyweight

“Malaking laban yan. 'Yun lang nagtagpo kami ni Mayweather sa Japan, grabe na yung reaction ng mga fans. Sabi nya 'Easy fight, easy fight.' Sabi ko, 'Let’s get it on and get back to the ring. I have the belt',” a smiling Pacquiao told reporters on Monday.

(It will be a big match. When Mayweather and I ran into each other in Japan, fans had a huge reaction. Mayweather told me: 'Easy fight, easy fight.' I told him: 'Let's get it on and get back to the ring. I have the belt.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 pm 
Heavyweight

On Instagram, Mayweather said that he will be coming out of retirement to face the Filipino boxing superstar in what is expected as another blockbuster bout.

"I'm coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year. Another nine-figure payday on the way," the undefeated American boxer wrote.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao said they have yet to discuss the conditions, details, and schedule of the fight.

“Aayusin pa… Pag-uusapan pa. Gusto n'ya bumalik eh, gusto n'ya agawin daw belt ko,” Pacquiao, who snatched the World Boxing Association regular welterweight belt from Argentine Lucas Matthysse, said in jest. (We have yet to fix and discuss it. He said he wants to go back and to steal my belt.)

“Ma-finalize this week yung (This week we will finalize the) fight with Mayweather or with somebody else,” Pacquiao said.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Senator-slash-boxer

The senator said Mayweather wants the fight to be held in December.

Asked how he could prepare when the Senate would be busy with budget deliberations from now until December, the athlete-turned-senator said:

“Isa rin yan sa considerations natin. Titignan natin na di maapektuhan ang trabaho natin. Madaming trabayo ngayon dito. May break naman ng October so titignan din natin,” he said.

(It is also one of my considerations. We have to make sure that our work won't be affected. There are lots of work here. But there is a break come October so we'll see.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 pm 
Heavyweight

MOST MEDIA FAVOR GOLOVKIN; CANELO AND GGG YES TO A THIRD MATCH

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2018

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez won the unified middleweight title by the slimmest margins during Saturday night championship rematch, winning by just a majority decision over arch rival Gennady "GGG" Golovkin and gave the Kazakh champion his first professional defeat. 

The two fighters switched roles, with Triple G trying to counter Alvarez and the Mexican fighter coming forward much of the fight. Both boxers connected punches exhaustively and Golovkin was effective with his jabs in some round

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 pm 
Heavyweight

Alvarez is now 50-1-2 with 34 KOs while Golovkin slipped to 38-1-1 with 34 KOs. 

"He's a great fighter but I'm a great fighter and I showed it tonight," said a conceited Alvarez. 

The fighting roles of the two stars were reversed from their first encounter, as Alvarez was more aggressive this time and Golovkin kept countering in most of the rounds. 

The fight was a rematch of a draw last September of last year that saw both fighters unsatisfied. This time it was Golovkin's turn to get disgusted, and he left the ring without answering an interview. 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Alvarez is now 50-1-2 with 34 KOs while Golovkin slipped to 38-1-1 with 34 KOs. 

"He's a great fighter but I'm a great fighter and I showed it tonight," said a conceited Alvarez. 

The fighting roles of the two stars were reversed from their first encounter, as Alvarez was more aggressive this time and Golovkin kept countering in most of the rounds. 

The fight was a rematch of a draw last September of last year that saw both fighters unsatisfied. This time it was Golovkin's turn to get disgusted, and he left the ring without answering an interview. 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 pm 
Heavyweight

"I can't complain, that's what we have the judges for," said Abel Sanchez, Golovkin's trainer. 

Compubox punchstats revealed that it was really a close fight. Golovkin was ahead in landing 234 punches while Alvarez landed 203. Canelo however had the advantage in power punches connecting 143 as against Golovkin's 116. 

Golovkin said he thought he fought better in his first interview after the fight in his dressing room. 

"I'm not going to say who won tonight because the victory belongs to Canelo according to the judges," GGG said from his dressing room. "I thought it was a very good fight for the fans and very exciting. I thought I fought better than he did." 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Compubox Punchstats 

Total Punches Landed/Thrown (Percentage) 
Alvarez - 202/622 (32.5%) 
Golovkin - 234/878 (26.6%) 

Total Jabs Landed/Thrown (Percentage) 
Alvarez - 59/256 (23%) 
Golovkin - 118/547 (21.6%) 

Total Power Punches Landed/Thrown (Percentage) 
Alvarez - 143/366 (39.1%) 
Golovkin - 116/332 (34.9%) 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 pm 
Heavyweight

When GGG was asked about another rematch he gave his affirmative reply. "Under the right conditions, yes," he said. 

Suddenly the news of an immediate third fight between the two superstar middleweights circulated the boxing media. 

"If the people want us to do it again let's do it again," Alvarez said. "For now I'm going to enjoy it with my family." 

GGG has the right to feel he won and has the right to a rematch. According to mmadecisions.com, of the 19 media outlets scoring the bout, 10 ruled in favor of Golovkin, 8 scored a draw, while 1 scored bout for Alvarez. 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 429  Next