Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399 ... 415  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather Says He'll Rematch Conor McGregor After Khabib Fight

PhilBoxing.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2018

TMZ SPORTS -- Floyd Mayweather says he ain't done with Conor McGregor -- telling TMZ Sports he'll give the Irishman a rematch in the boxing ring right after he tunes up Khabib Nurmagomdov. 

"McGregor was talking that sh*t, so it ain't over," Floyd told us while shopping in Bev Hills this weekend. 

"After me and Khabib lock up, me and McGregor we gonna lock up again." 

As we previously reported, Floyd says he'll accept Khabib's challenge and will fight him in the boxing ring sometime in the near future, because it'll do "crazy numbers." 

Floyd says he expects to make a 9-figure check from the Khabib fight -- and a rematch with Conor could be just as successful. 

"I'm ready to go out there and get the job done and entertain. 'Cause me and McGregor Mayweather was real entertaining. I gave people what they wanted to see." 

Floyd also says his fights with UFC stars are helping the sport of MMA -- telling TMZ Sports, "I'm helping keep combat sports alive!" 

Of course, Conor and Floyd clashed back in August 2017 -- with Floyd dominating most of the fight and ultimately getting a TKO in the 10th round. 

Khabib says he'll fare better than Conor -- claiming he outstruck McGregor when they fought at UFC 229. 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Hearn: Canelo-Fielding Probably Gets DAZN 1 Million Subscribers

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – Eddie Hearn expects Canelo Alvarez to make an immense impact immediately for DAZN.

The British promoter predicted Wednesday that Alvarez’s first fight on the new streaming service “probably” will account for “a million subscribers overnight.” DAZN doesn’t release its subscription figures, but its executive chairman, former ESPN president John Skipper, obviously is counting on the Mexican superstar to lure subscribers to the fledgling platform.

Skipper announced Wednesday during a press conference in The Theater at Madison Square Garden that DAZN has signed boxing’s most proven, active pay-per-view star to a five-year, 11-fight deal that reportedly could become worth $365 million. The WBA/WBC middleweight champion is heavily favored to defeat England’s Rocky Fielding in his DAZN debut, a 12-round fight for Fielding’s WBA world super middleweight title December 15 at Madison Square Garden.

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-canel ... rs--132855

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 am 
Heavyweight

World welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao will have his hands full when he clashes with American four-division titleholder Adrien Broner on Jan. 12 or Jan. 19 with Las Vegas as the most likely site.

Pacquiao’s fight with Broner is being set up as a prelude to a rematch with one-time tormentor Floyd Mayweather as Broner and Mayweather both fight under the low-profile but influential boxing adviser Al Haymon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:07 am 
Heavyweight

Donaire said his goal is to become the first Filipino to unify a world championship. “With this tournament, the goal is now attainable,” he said, quoted by Elliot Worsell in the London weekly magazine Boxing News. “Entering the tournament gives me an opportunity to showcase my capabilities against the best in this division (which) is stacked with talent and that’s really exciting. I believe my size, experience and most of all, my power will give me the edge over my opponents.” 

Last April, Donaire lost a unanimous 12-round decision to Carl Frampton for the interim WBO featherweight title in Belfast then decided to return to bantamweight. “Undersized and eventually outclassed, the former champion won the hearts of the Irish fans with a gutsy showing as well as some endearing pre-fight gestures and left a winner even in defeat,” wrote Worsell. “In choosing to join the bantamweight tournament, Donaire has skipped a weight class, shocked us all and done something that will either work out well for him, now that he’s back among men his own size, in a division he once dominated or end badly. Time will tell.” 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 am 
Heavyweight

Rocky Fielding says a stunning upset win over Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez would make him "the King of New York and the new face of boxing". Canelo is one of the biggest names in the sport and, having beaten Gennady Golovkin on points in a September megafight, is challenging for Fielding's WBA (regular) super-middleweight title on December 15, live on Sky Sports.

The pair will lock horns at Madison Square Garden in New York and Fielding has been in the States this week to face his opponent and promote the fight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skyspo ... arez-fight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao has also hooked up with Haymon’s group and his MP Promotions will stage the Broner bout alongside Haymon’s.

Pacquiao himself announced the Broner showdown late Wednesday night during the formal turnover rights of a $100,000 donation made by Japan-based charitable organization ISPS Handa to the Emmanuel and Jinkee Heart Foundation at the Makati Shangri-La.

Pacquiao’s World Boxing Association 147-lb crown, which he won last July in Malaysia after beating up Argentinian banger Lucas Matthysse, will be on the line against the 29-year-old Broner, who parades a 33-3-1 record with 24 KOs.

“Floyd is fighting in Dec. 31 and after that and my fight, we’ll see what happens,” said Pacquiao, who turns 40 on Dec. 27 and will be armed with a 60-7-2 mark with 39 KOs by the time he answers the bell against the Cincinnati-bred and flamboyant Broner, winner of six of his last nine fights and three of his last five.

The Cincinnati, Ohio-native, nicknamed “The Problem,” has won titles in the featherweight, lightweight, super lightweight and welterweight divisions. His last two fights, however, ended in a unanimous decision loss to Mikey Garcia at Barclay’s Center, New York in July last year and a majority draw with Jessie Vargas at the same venue last April.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am 
Heavyweight

Canelo: If the People Want Third Golovkin Fight, We'll Make It

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – Numbers were the primary focus before, during and after the Canelo Alvarez-Rocky Fielding press conference Wednesday in The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

The historic five-year, 11-fight, $365 million deal Alvarez and Golden Boy Promotions reached with DAZN attracted most of the attention as everyone took notice of the new streaming service’s most significant signing to date. One-hundred, sixty-eight – the weight at which Alvarez will fight for the first time when he faces Fielding on December 15 – was mentioned numerous times, too.

The number three, as in Alvarez’s third fight against Gennady Golovkin, didn’t come up nearly as much. Alvarez assured reporters as he left the venue, however, that he remains interested in boxing Golovkin a third time.

“If the people want that fight, we’ll make it,” Alvarez said. “I’m focused on the fight on December 15th. If the people want that fight, then we’ll do it.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-if-p ... it--132862

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am 
Heavyweight

Mayweather outpointed Pacquiao, the only fighter to win eight world titles in as many weight classes, in May 2015 in the record-breaking match the Filipino southpaw said he fought with an injured right shoulder.

A two-city press tour — making stops in New York and Los Angeles — is on the pipeline in early-November just before Pacquiao and Broner head off to their respective training camps spanning the holidays.

Pacquiao decided to sign up with Haymon following the expiration of his contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 am 
Heavyweight

Now that HBO has abandoned boxing and Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) has signed to perform on a streaming service, Golovkin seemingly must join him if the former champion from Kazakhstan wants a chance to avenge his 12-round, majority-decision defeat to Alvarez on September 15 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Eddie Hearn, the primary promoter for DAZN, said Wednesday that Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) will need to sign with DAZN to get that third crack at Alvarez.

“The carrot from [Golden Boy to Golovkin] will be, ‘You sign with us, we’ll give you the Canelo fight,’ ” Hearn said after the press conference Wednesday. “We can’t do that. You know, we can say to a heavyweight, ‘Sign with us, we’ll give you the [Anthony] Joshua fight.’ But I think [Golovkin] has no choice but to go on DAZN. No choice. The only fight out there for him that’s gonna generate crazy money is the Canelo fight.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 am 
Heavyweight

WBC Prez Overjoyed By Canelo-DAZN Deal: Time To Celebrate!

World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman is overjoyed by the news that Saul "Canelo" Alvarez signed a five year, 11 fight deal with streaming service DAZN.

The deal is worth a guaranteed $365 million - which Canelo's promoters are calling the richest contract in history for any athlete.

Canelo's handlers at Golden Boy Promotions, run by Oscar De La Hoya, brokered the deal with DAZN, an online streaming service that only launched in September. DAZN charges its subscribers $9.99 per month for a range of combat sports content.

https://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-prez-ov ... te--132885

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 am 
Heavyweight

Photos: Katie Taylor, Cindy Serrano - Face To Face at Presser

At Fenway Park on Thursday afternoon, the boxing world saw a preview of what will prove to be a fully stacked Oct. 20 Matchroom Boxing USA fight night at the TD Garden Arena with three title clashes on the main card, including headliner Demetrius Andrade against Walter Kautondokwa for the vacant WBO Middleweight Title. In a press conference, Saturday night’s fighters gathered to discuss their preparation and predictions ahead of the big night – which will be broadcasted exclusively on DAZN. (photos by Ed Mulholland)

Katie Taylor

“Boston is going to be a home away from home. There’s obviously a lot of Irish fighters on the card. I can’t wait.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/photos-kati ... er--132879

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:16 am 
Heavyweight

Super-middleweight powerhouse Savannah Marshall will take on the determined, unbeaten Yanina Orozco in a 10 round intercontinental championship bout on the undercard of the ‘Fire & Fury’ event at the Arena Armeec in Sofia, Bulgaria on Saturday 27 October.

The 27-year-old Hartlepool native heads into the fight with a perfect 3-0 record and occupying seventh place in the women’s super-middleweight standings. Her Argentinian opponent also boasts an unbeaten record, although three places separate them in the division’s rankings with Orozco currently in 10th place.

With one unbeaten record sure to fall on the night, Savannah predicts a great fight for the fans. Speaking about her opponent Savannah said: “This is a great match up for me and for the travelling fans. Like me, my opponent is unbeaten so I’m excited to get out there, give it all I’ve got and get the win. There’s a lot at stake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 am 
Heavyweight

Katie Taylor

“Boston is going to be a home away from home. There’s obviously a lot of Irish fighters on the card. I can’t wait.”

On Cindy: “She’s obviously very experienced. She’s a top seasoned pro. These are the types of fights that I absolutely relish. This is why I turned pro two years ago, to be involved in fights like this. I had a great training camp and feel in great shape.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 am 
Heavyweight

VIDEO: MATCHROOM BOXING PRESS CONFERENCE FROM BOSTON

http://www.15rounds.com/video-matchroom ... om-boston/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:23 am 
Heavyweight

Arum: Golovkin is Best Middleweight, He Clearly Beat Canelo!

By Ryan Burton

LAS VEGAS - The stakes could be very high for Ryota Murata (14-1) on Saturday night at The Park on the Las Vegas strip.

The fight will stream live on the ESPN+ app as part of ESPN's long term exclusive agreement with Top Rank Inc. to provide boxing content for both the ESPN network and their streaming service.

In addition to retaining his WBA middleweight title with a victory over mandatory challenger Rob Brant (23-1), a showdown against former unified middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin could be next for the 2012 Olympic medalist.

https://www.boxingscene.com/ar
um-golovkin-best-middleweight-he-clearly-beat-canelo--132858

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399 ... 415  Next