Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407 ... 417  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Nonito Donaire: A Win is a Win, Age is Nothing But a Number

Glasgow - Ryan Burnett lost his World Boxing Super Series bantamweight quarter-final against Filipino-American Nonito Donaire after failing to come out of his corner for the fifth round.

The 26-year-old from Northern Ireland took a count of seven in the fourth round after sustaining what looked like a rhip injury while in action against his 35-year-old opponent, a former world champion at four weights.

Donaire looked in distress as he returned to his corner at the end of the round and then retired for his first defeat in 20 bouts, leaving Donaire to be named WBA bantamweight world champion with a WBSS semi-final unification against WBO champion Zolani Tete to come in early 2019.

"As a warrior, Burnett is an amazing fighter, early on he just kept coming at me. A win is a win and it wasn't the way I would like to win but he's an amazing fighter," Donaire said.

"Age is nothing but a number. He was fast, strong and caught me with some good punches. I came into this fight as the bigger guy and my coaches snapped me out of it and told me to box.

"I then started to use my speed and fight the way I usually do, which is the Filipino Flash."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Josh Taylor set up a showdown with Ivan Baranchyk after winning his World Boxing Super Series quarter-final clash.

The Prestonpans man, who had entered the tournament on the back of a victory over Viktor Postol back in June, retained his WBC Silver title. Taylor, 27, took on previously undefeated American Ryan Martin, and stopped the 25-year-old after two minutes and 21 seconds of the seventh round.

Martin, who went into the fight with a record of 22-0 (12 KOs), struggled to get going during the fight and barely threw any punches for several rounds of the contest, instead tucking up to protect from ‘The Tartan Tornado’s’ classy onslaughts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Ryan Burnett amassed an amateur record of 94 wins and 4 losses; he claims to still "dispute most of those losses." While rising to number one in the AIBA World Youth amateur rankings, Burnett won seven All Ireland titles and four Ulster titles, along with several multi-nations tournament medals. The highlights of his amateur career were his silver and gold medal wins at the World Youth Championships and Olympic Youth Games, respectively. After acquiring those medals, Burnett suffered a back injury that ruled him out of competition for a year, and hampered his opportunities for success at senior level. Not long after regaining fitness, Burnett decided to turn professional.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Josh Warrington To Push For Frampton Stoppage, Regrets Not Stopping Selby

IT IS HARD to imagine Josh Warrington having any regrets from his epic world title-winning encounter with Lee Selby in May. It was a night when everything clicked perfectly into place for the Leeds Warrior. From the fight being staged inside his footballing place of worship at Elland Road, to the Kaiser Chiefs playing him into the ring in front of a buoyant bumper crowd, to a dominant display that unseated a long-standing world champion.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/11/jo ... g-to-lose/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Sullivan Barrera Scores Solid Decision Over Monaghan in Brooklyn

Light heavyweight Sullivan Barrera (22-2, 14 KOs) dominated throughout ten rounds, emerging with a solid unanimous decision victory over a tough “Irish” Seanie Monaghan (29-2, 17 KOs) Saturday at The Aviator Sports Center.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/11/su ... -brooklyn/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:15 pm 
Heavyweight

Filipinos Aston Palicte (24-2-1, 20 KOs) and Donnie Nietes (41-1-5, 23 KOs) fought last month for the vacant WBO title, but the duel ended in a very controversial draw that many felt was a clear win for Nietes.

The WBO approved that Nietes will face #3 ranked Kazuto Ioka (23-1, 13 KOs) of Japan, for the vacant WBO world title and Palicte will face fourth-placed Jose 'Chiquiro' Martinez (20-0-2 , 13 KOs) of Puerto Rico, in a final eliminator fight where the winner will obtain the mandatory position for the world title.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:17 pm 
Heavyweight

According to a report by the Los Angeles Times, the proposed showdown between Mikey Garcia and Errol Spence is heading to a date of March 16 - at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

It's being reported that site deal has been reached between the venue and Premier Boxing Champions. Showtime Pay-Per-View is expected to carry the bout.

Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who holds the WBC lightweight world title, is moving up by two weight divisions, to 147-pounds, to challenge Spence (24-0, 21 KOs) for the IBF welterweight world title.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Neither two-division champion Danny Garcia, WBA titlist Keith Thurman, nor two-time titleholder Shawn Porter is an elite welterweight capable of beating left-handed IBF 147-pound champion Errol Spence or WBO counterpart Terence Crawford, according to Top Rank CEO Bob Arum.

Arum believes matchups involving Spence (24-0, 21 KOs), Thurman, WBC king Porter or Garcia -- all of whom are aligned with powerful promoter Al Haymon and the Showtime and Fox networks – don't inspire the requisite fan enthusiasm to produce pay per view-caliber numbers of Spence-Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs),  an ESPN-signed, switch-hitting three-division title winner.

“All the other guys I discard,” Arum told BoxingScene.com's Keith Idec last month after Crawford's 12th-round stoppage of previously unbeaten Jose Benavidez Jr. in his second defense of the crown earned by June's ninth-round TKO of previously undefeated Jeff Horn.

“They’re not in the same league [as Crawford]. Spence may be in the same league. I would love to make the Spence fight. You hear me now – I’m ready to make that fight next. I’m ready to make it on very fair terms, where no fighter or no network has an advantage, to do that fight. We’re prepared to sit down and get that fight done. But I can’t force the other people into doing it. You understand?”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm 
Heavyweight

WBA lightweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (11-1) returns to the ring on December 8th against IBF champion Jose Pedraza (25-1) in an ESPN televised unification bout.  The action takes place at the Hula Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Lomachenko captured his title in May when he got off the canvas and stopped Jorge Linares in the 10th round of a very exciting fight.

Linares has an interesting opinion on the fight. He believes that Pedraza's ability to from southpaw to orthodox makes him an uncomfortable opponent but doesn't believe he will be able to survive until the final bell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 pm 
Heavyweight

WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson would love to get a rematch with Tony Bellew - if they both win their upcoming fights.

Bellew returns to the cruiserweight ranks on Saturday night in Manchester, and faces WBC, WBO, IBF, WBA unified champion Oleksandr Usyk.

And Stevenson returns next month in a mandatory defense against Usyk's countryman and Olympic team member, Oleksandr Gvozdyk, on December 1 in a Showtime televised fight from Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Deontay Wilder warned he has “transformed into a killer” as he ramped up his preparation for his fight with Tyson Fury, dismissing Anthony Joshua as a “coward”.

US heavyweight champion Wilder is putting his WBC belt and 40-0 unbeaten record on the line when he faces Fury in Los Angeles on December 1.

During a warm-up event in the city on Monday, the Bronze Bomber told reporters he was in “wonderful” condition.

He said: “I’m feeling wonderful. My mindset has changed, my body has changed, I feel like a killer. I’m transformed into a killer.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Wilder compared his preparation for the bout to that of a soldier in the military, who knows “they’re going into dangerous territories” and have to “be prepared”.

The 33-year-old added: “When it’s time for fighting and I’m risking my life, I turn into the Bronze Bomber. When I’m in the ring it’s a different thing than when I’m just Deontay Wilder.”

On a potential fight with IBF, WBA and WBO champion Anthony Joshua, Wilder added: “I don’t have a message for Anthony Joshua.

“It’s all about Tyson Fury. I don’t want anyone to ask me about Anthony Joshua. He was a coward and that’s that.”

Wilder, who boasts a punishing 40-0 record with 39 wins coming by knockout, said he was “so tired” of talking about the fight and warned 30-year-old Fury he “doesn’t know what he’s gotten himself into”.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez will oppose Pedro Guevara in the main event of what’s expected to be HBO’s last boxing broadcast for the foreseeable future.

ESPN.com reported a deal is in place for the Gonzalez-Guevara fight December 8 at StubHub Center in Carson, California. The card will be announced at a press conference Wednesday in Los Angeles.

HBO also will air a bout featuring undisputed women’s welterweight champion Cecilia Braekhus that night. Braekhus’ opponent wasn’t solidified as of Tuesday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Chris Algieri knew he wasn’t done with boxing after his April 2016 loss to Errol Spence.

“I think a lot of other people thought I was, but I always knew I was coming back,” the Long Islander chuckles. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

Algieri never lacked for will, and now the 34-year-old has found his way, with his first bout in over two years coming against Angel Hernandez at the Paramount Theatre in Huntington on November 30. It’s the rare comeback that wasn’t met with groans, as Algieri can still be a threat in the 140-pound weight class where he won a title in 2014 and where he’s never lost as a pro.

“140 was always the plan anyway,” said Algieri, who fought his last four bouts at welterweight. “I only went up because of the opportunities and the fights that were there. I never weighed 147; I was always a couple pounds under. And I didn’t really have to cut weight like guys normally do because I don’t get that heavy in between fights. ’47 was more of an opportunity thing than a necessity. So coming back down to 140, where I think my style and my body is better served, is the right decision at this point in my career.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 pm 
Heavyweight

STEVE CUNNINGHAM came close to spoiling Tyson Fury’s US debut back in 2013.

Not many envisaged the former two-time world cruiserweight champion causing Fury much difficulty at Madison Square Garden.

Yet, weighing 210 pounds, Cunningham sent the Gypsy King’s 254-pound frame crashing to the deck with a sweeping overhand right in the second round of their bout.

In the end, he was unable to capitalise on the knockdown, with Fury instead climbing off the canvas to win by knockout five rounds later.

Nevertheless, the latter recently insisted Cunningham provided his sternest test to date - which the American was chuffed to hear.

“That was an epic statement for him to make,” he told Starsport.

“It was genuine and it was true. I mean, you can even see in his latest fights no one’s giving him problems like I did. Even Wladimir [Klitschko].

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407 ... 417  Next