Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 417  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has his next fight. We just don’t know if it will be a boxing match.

The 41-year-old undefeated boxer will face Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year’s Eve, the Rizin Fighting Federation announced Sunday.

While it is unclear whether it will be a boxing, MMA or another combat sport, the bout will take place at Saitama Super Arena in Japan. Mayweather is 50-0 as a professional boxer after defeating Conor McGregor in August 2017.

“It wasn’t easy to make this happen, but we told the people anything is possible and now we’re here and we want to make sure we give the people in Tokyo what they want to see — blood, sweat and tears,” Mayweather said during a press conference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 pm 
Heavyweight

What would happen if Andre Ward unretired after 16 months to face Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin at 168-pounds following back-to-back 175-pound championship victories over Sergey Kovalev, the last a demoralizing eighth-round stoppage in June 2017?

Could either the 28-year-old Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) or the 36-year-old Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) beat the Ward (32-0, 16 KOs) who crushed and folded previously unbeaten “Krusher” Kovalev with a debilitating body attack, or, that which thrice dropped then-175-pound southpaw champion Chad Dawson during a 168-pound title defense and  a 10th-round TKO representing the loser’s first career stoppage loss in September 2012?

Or could “Canelo” or “Triple-G” withstand the “SOG” whose unanimous decisions handled Denmark’s Mikkel Kessler and England’s Carl Froch, the former in November of 2009 and the latter in December 2011 for the RING, WBA and WBC belts and Showtime’s Super Six World Boxing Classic crown?

Ward's trainer, Virgil Hunter, doesn't believe so. “I think when you look at both of those fighters when you get to the mid-rounds, where Alvarez and Golovkin kind of get stuck on stamina issues with both of them, I think Andre definitely has a 100 percent chance of winning a decisive decision with the possibility of stopping them,” said Hunter of Ward, a 34-year-old 2004 Olympic gold medalist.

“Andre would have pulled away and made it difficult for either of them to come back or to get a second wind. Each of them definitely had mid-fight stamina issues. I think they would be highly-competitive fights, but I just believe Andre would create a hill for them to have to climb at a rapid pace, that they wouldn’t be able to do it, and that he would have decisively won those fights.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 pm 
Heavyweight

“Hey, when that fight [Golovkin] happens, it's going to be a great fight for boxing,” said Ward, who was Ring Magazine’s No. 2-rated fighter, pound-for-pound, behind The Ring’s 147- and 154-pound champion Floyd Mayweather. Jr.

“A lot of people say that he's gotten a lot of unnecessary hype, but I've got a lot of respect for Gennady Golovkin. The thing is that against the guys that he's fighting, he's doing the things that he's supposed to do against those guys. I mean, he's getting them out of there."

Hunter was prepared for Golovkin, but the clash never materialized.

“I actually had a game plan for Golovkin when it looked as if it my possibly happen, and it’s funny that as I watched their last two fights, that game plan would have unfolded. I always felt that Golovkin had mid-fight stamina issues,” said Hunter.

“Of course, 168 was Andre’s natural weight class and where he excelled, and I see him being just a little bit too skillful and too athletic for both Golovkin and Alvarez. Based on what I’ve seen I think Andre would have a good chance of stopping them.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao intends to make sure it is a "clear decision" over the winner if, as planned, he faces former foe Floyd Mayweather Jr next year.

"First I am fighting Broner and after that there is a big possibility of the Mayweather fight. He is coming back and we are talking about a rematch but we have to deal with these fights first. We met in Japan and he said he wanted to have a rematch; not this time but maybe after the January fight. I told him I have the belt and that I am the champion.

"It will be different this time as there will be no excuses. I can’t retire with peace of mind because of the defeat. If you watch the fight, he didn't throw many punches."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm 
Heavyweight

FOR the first time a boxer has resigned from the WBC’s Clean Boxing Program, the drug testing regime that the WBC have put in place. Cuban boxer Erislandy Lara notified the WBC that he should be removed from the program.

Lara is a former super-welterweight world champion who boxed Canelo Alvarez 2014. In his last fight he lost a unification for the IBF and WBA titles toJarrett Hurd. He had been ranked at number two in the division by the WBC but after withdrawing from the Clean Boxing Program he will be removed from their ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Yoshihiro Kamegai, a former world title contender at junior middleweight, has officially announced his retirement from the sport of boxing at age 35. Kamegai, who made the announcement on Instagram, ends his career with a 27-5-2 (24 KOs) record. Here’s what he had to say on the decision.

“I’ll be retiring from boxing. My last 2 bouts, I’ve been losing power in my arms in the early rounds. Unlike before when I could throw more power punches throughout the whole fight, now I can’t. Back when I fought [Robert Guerrero] and [Jesus Soto Karass], those were the fights when my performance was at best but the last 2 was far from it.

“I didn’t feel like I was in my body. But still I was more humbled and appreciative than ever to see the fans all around the world crossing different countries to cheer me on! That was my PRIDE and MOTIVATION! To all the fans that supported me through out my boxing career my biggest appreciation goes out to all of you! Thank you very much!!”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Promoter Eddie Hearn is frustrated that he’s been unable to sign WBC interim middleweight champion Jermall Charlo (27-0, 21 KOs) to his Matchroom Boxing USA stable to have his fights streamed on DAZN.

Charlo will be fighting former two-time middleweight world title challenger Willie Monroe Jr. (23-3, 6 KOs) on December 22 on Premier Boxing Champions on Fox and Fox Deportes at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

According to Hearn, the 28-year-old Charlo will never get a world title shot against any of the current middleweight champions as long as he’s not signed to have his fights shown on DAZN. Further, Hearn says the money he’s offered the unbeaten Charlo is two to three times what he’s currently making with his management.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Showtime Sports executive Stephen Espinoza took some time to chat with Marcos Villegas about the announcement of Floyd Mayweather coming out of retirement to face young kickboxing star Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year’s Eve. Here’s what he had to say about the event...

Espinoza on how he found out about Mayweather-Nasukawa and if he knew it was going to happen before the press conference:

“I did know. And this goes back to that Manny Pacquiao interview, the rave. The EDM show. And maybe a little bit after that Floyd came out with a statement and he said ‘I’ll be back in Tokyo for a big boxing event before the end of the year.’ So Floyd chooses his words carefully. So when I heard that I said, well maybe he’s making an appearance, maybe he’s promoting — he didn’t say I’m fighting in a big boxing match. I knew it was something a little bit outside the norm, and then I’ve had some recent conversations with him.

“Look, this comes out of the blue for a lot of people, it is a strange event. The kid’s a superstar — the kickboxer. I mean he does stuff in the ring that you only see in martial arts movies. The only guy I’ve seen do stuff like that on a competitive level is, you know, Cung Le in his prime, used to do some stuff that blew people’s minds. This kid is a whole different level. But you’re right, he’s smaller, he’s a kickboxer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 am 
Heavyweight

A March 16 showdown between IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr and WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia appears headed to the home of the Dallas Cowboys, AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, according to Lance Pugmire of the LA Times, who says that a site deal is in place.

The report says that the fight is done from the Cowboys’ side, and it’s now a matter of getting the fighters to sign on the dotted line, which isn’t seen as a real issue.

Spence (24-0, 21 KO) is a Texas resident and sold out the Cowboys training facility in Frisco for his last fight, a June 16 wipeout of mandatory challenger Carlos Ocampo.

Garcia (39-0, 30 KO) is a pound-for-pound contender who would be fighting at a career-high weight, and has fought a few times in Texas, most recently in San Antonio for his March 10 win over Sergey Lipinets at junior welterweight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 am 
Heavyweight

Chris Algieri returns to The Paramount for the first time since 2014, when he defeated highly touted prospect Emmanuel Taylor by a unanimous decision. Algieri has dominated at his home venue, having fought eight times at The Paramount and having defeated the likes of world title challenger, Mike Arnaoutis, and then, highly regarded prospect, Jose Peralta. On November 30th, Algieri intends to pay homage to his strong hometown fanbase, earn his ninth consecutive victory at The Paramount, and make it a memorable homecoming. 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am 
Heavyweight

The man whom newly-crowned WBA bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire, Jr. is facing next is a 5-9 South African with a 72-inch wingspan and a long list of victims that includes five Filipinos. Zolani Tete, 30, is the reigning WBO titlist and will take on Donaire in the World Boxing Super Series semifinals sometime next year. The winner of that encounter will advance to battle the survivor of the other semifinal pairing between Japan’s Naoya Inoue and IBF ruler Emmanuel Rodriguez of Puerto Rico for global recognition as the unified champion with the coveted Muhammad Ali Trophy as a bonus. 

Tete’s record is 28-3, with 21 KOs. Three of his victims who went the distance were Filipinos Arthur Villanueva, Jether Oliva and Richard Garcia. He holds the world record for posting the fastest knockout in championship history, disposing of countryman Siboniso Gonya in only 11 seconds with a right to the head to retain the WBO 118-pound crown last year. Two other first round knockout victims were Filipinos Eduard Penerio and Rexon Flores. 

In Tete’s three losses, two were by close decisions, one split and the other majority. His only defeat inside the distance was a stoppage by Donaire victim Moruti Mthalane. He has been floored by Mthalane and Mexico’s Juan Carlos Sanchez. Tete, whose father is a pastor, is known to be a crafty fighter who resorts to devious tricks like holding and butting. He has been docked points in at least three outings. - Joaquin Henson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Banner Promotions is proud to announce the signing of undefeated lightweight, Golden Garcia to a promotional contract.

Garcia, 30 years-old of Montreal, Canada, has a record of 11-0-1 with six-knockouts.

Garcia began boxing at the age of 12 when he walked in to a gym to get in shape.

"I got into a few scraps in the street, so it was nice to go to a place where fighting was allowed," said Garcia.

Garcia had about 60 amateur bouts, where he competed at 130 pounds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm 
Heavyweight

Floyd Mayweather says he has not agreed a deal to fight Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year's Eve in an official bout.

Undefeated five-weight boxing world champion Mayweather signed a deal with Japanese mixed martial arts promotions company RIZIN Fighting Federation but says he only agreed to participate in a nine minute exhibition of three rounds against an unnamed opponent.

The American says he was "blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without his consent and approval."

"Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced," he posted on Instagram.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Earlier this week promoter Eddie Hearn and boxer Manny Pacquiao met prompting some to speculate that the two could be discussing still working with one another.

Up until recently Hearn was in contention to sign Pacquiao to streaming giant DAZN but Pacquiao ultimately signed a deal with boxing manager Al Haymon and plans to fight Adrien Broner next.

Then Floyd Mayweather later in 2019.
More than likely these two fights will be on Showtime pay per view but that didn’t stop some thinking he and Hearn could still work together after their meeting this week.

It turns out the meeting they had in London had no business really involved in it at all.

Hearn told IFL TV that:

“Nothing really. He’s fighting Broner. I met with their team, very nice people and that was just we were in London and we’d like to have a meet up. We weren’t really talking business. No (we are not signing Manny) he’s fighting Broner and then he’s fighting Mayweather. That’s what they’ve been told so good luck to them. The money he’s getting to fight Broner they better sell a lot of pay per view buys otherwise someone is going skint. A very nice man (was Pacquiao).”

He added:

“We had a little photo and had a little chat. It was more meeting with his operational guys. It was more of a social (meeting) really. It was just an honor to meet him. He’s a legend isn’t he.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:25 pm 
Heavyweight

For years, boxing fans have yearned for the moment they can call a fighter the undisputed champion of their division. With the WBC, WBA (Super), WBO and IBF belts all being considered as legitimate world titles, it’s proving harder and harder to unify each division with one rightful ruler.

In Manchester, UK, Oleksandr Usyk will defend his cruiserweight straps against the controversial Tony Bellew, with all four belts on the line as Britain hosts its first four-belt undisputed contest.

Most recently, last August, Terence Crawford became the undisputed champion at light-welterweight after stopping Namibian Julius Indongo inside three-rounds in front of a Nebraskan home crowd. This ended a long wait for an undisputed king at any weight, however, some of the sports iconic figures have ruled before him. Who else has held all the marbles?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 417  Next