Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 417  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Muhammad Ali: WBC, WBA (1974-1978)

With ten defences in the heavyweight division in the mid-seventies, Ali unified the WBC and WBA belts in a competitive division. His dominance of the heavyweight division was confirmed in style in ‘The Rumble in the Jungle’ bout with George Foreman where he stopped the heavy-hitting American inside eight rounds in front of passionate support, and cries of “Ali Bomaye”.

Ali was characteristically confident and colourful before the fight. He told interviewer David Frost, “If you think the world was surprised when Nixon resigned, wait ’til I whup Foreman’s behind!”. He also told the world’s media this following historic quote;

“I’ve done something new for this fight. I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I’m so mean I make medicine sick.”

With successful defences including Joe Frazier and Ken Norton, Ali’s reign came to an end in a split decision loss against Leon Spinks in 1978, however, Ali was able to gain revenge in their rematch that followed, despite the WBC belt moving elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Lennox Lewis: WBC, WBA, IBF (1999-2000)

With a unanimous decision victory over Evander Holyfield in 1999, Lennox Lewis unified the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight titles seven months after fighting to a draw with ‘The Real Deal’. With this victory Lewis was also award the vacant IBO world title, however, ‘The Lion’s’ reign of superiority was short-lived.

Lewis was stripped of his WBA belt due to a contract dispute regarding the first defence of his title, which was written into the contract at the time of Holyfield’s reign. Due to Lewis fighting Michael Grant and Francois Botha in his first two defences instead of the number one contender John Ruiz, Lewis’ undisputed reign came to a premature end. With Lewis and his team claiming to have never refused to fight Ruiz, the fact that the American heavyweight was too ill for the first fight, and refused the second, is always the centre of the debate whether Lewis should have been stripped by the WBA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Mike Tyson: WBC, WBA, IBF (1987-1990)

With a win over Tony Tucker in 1987, ‘Iron Mike’ unified the WBC, WBA, IBF and later, Ring Magazine heavyweight belts. Winning all three judges scorecards by the scores of 119–111, 118–113 and 116–112 Tyson would become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Leon Spinks in 1978.

After his victory, speculation began over whether or not Tyson would next face undefeated Michael Spinks, who had attended the Tyson–Tucker fight, in order to add the lineal championship to his collection. After three devastating knockout defences against Tyrell Biggs, Larry Holmes and Tony Tubbs, Tyson eventually agreed to fight Spinks in 1988 in a fight that would last only 91 seconds by way of another Tyson KO.

In February 1990 Tyson’s reign would come to an end in unexpected fashion against underdog Buster Douglas. The line of “down goes Tyson!” on the commentary reverberated abound the boxing world as the Tokyo Dome in Japan saw one of the biggest upsets in sporting history.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Roy Jones Jr. WBC, WBA, IBF (1999-2002)

With a unanimous decision victory over Reggie Johnson in 1999, Roy Jones Jr. began his three-year reign as the unified WBC, WBA and IBF light- heavyweight champion. Defending against David Telesco, Richard Hall and five other contenders, ‘Superman’ moved up to heavyweight, relinquishing his world titles.

With a UD win over Scott Sigmon in February this year, the 49-year-old added the German WBU cruiserweight title to his collection as he continues to battle against father time. Whether he carries on in the fight game is a constant point of debate in boxing circles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Marvin Hagler: WBC, WBA, IBF (1980-1987)

Bar Joe Louis in the 1930s, no one has defended their status as undisputed world champion on more occasions that ‘Marvelous’ Marvin Hagler. With twelve defences over seven years, the skilled middleweight became the inaugural IBF champion during this period with a win over Wilford Scypion, in an undefeated streak that lasted eleven years.

In a defining fight against ‘Sugar’ Ray Leonard in 1987, Hagler’s run and reign came to an infamous end in a split decision loss in Las Vegas, as we enjoyed the era of the Four Kings. With wins over Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran, Hagler goes down as one of the all-time greats in the sport, amassing a record of 62-3-2 in the process.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Bernard Hopkins: WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO (2001-2005)

After stopping Oscar De La Hoya in nine rounds in 2004, ‘B-Hop’ added the WBO to his undisputed status, becoming the first man ever to hold all four titles simultaneously. Previously, Hopkins became the undisputed champion after defeating Felix Trinidad in a middleweight tournament to successfully unify the WBC WBA and IBF belts.

Hopkins would go on to fight Jermain Taylor in back-to-back fights where he lost a split and then unanimous decision to the younger fighter, with the IBF title no longer on the line in the second fight due to Taylor taking the rematch over a mandatory defence.

Retiring in December 2016, ‘The Alien’ had a prolific career from middleweight to light-heavyweight, amounting to a 55–8–2 record over a 28-year career.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Light-heavyweight Markus Williams has praised trainer Angel Fernandez after his team-mate’s Isaac Chamberlain bounced back to winning ways against Luke Watkins.

The 29-year-old met Fernandez down West Ham boxing club and after a chance conversation, an immediate relationship was struck.

Battersea-born Williams has an immaculate record of 3-0 with his one stoppage coming against Istvan Orsos earlier this year.

His coaching team is made up by the Spanish Fernandez and Hall of Famer boxing coach Jorge Rubio as he starts his assault up the domestic division.

Alongside Williams, the stable includes the UFC’s British star Nathaniel Wood and fellow Londoner Isaac Chamberlain – who impressed after his loss against Lawrence Okolie in February.

And ‘Merciless’ believes that Fernandez is destined to go to the very top of the sport.

“I truly believe he has the opportunity to become one of the best coaches in the game,” he said.

“He literally just appeared down West Ham one day, I have quite an inquisitive mind so got talking to him and wanted to know more about him.

“I asked him to take me on the pads and as they say the rest is history. I was so impressed that when he left West Ham to start his new gym in Surrey I came over with him.

“He is open to learning, he looks at your style and works on it rather than changing it. I have benefited so much from the structure he provides.

“We get on really well, I think we both see boxing the same way. We appreciate the technical aspects of the sport.”

He also believes that despite his win, team-mate Chamberlain, will look even better than classic Cruiserweight clash with Watkins.

“I was so pleased for Isaac, Angel and Jorge for their performance. They all played their part in the win and it was a great win,” he added.

“I think its fair to say there was a little bit of ring rust there for Isaac, but he’s so talented and he showed that.

“He has bundles of ability but even better he has the heart to match, I think next time you are going to see an even more improved version of him.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Former welterweight world titleholder Kell Brook's return to the ring on Dec. 8, which follows a layoff because of an ankle injury, will come against Michael Zerafa, Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn announced on Monday.

The 12-round junior middleweight bout will headline a card at Sheffield Arena in Brook's hometown of Sheffield, England, and will stream live in the United States on DAZN.

Brook is aiming to eventually fight at 147 pounds for a much-anticipated showdown with British rival Amir Khan in 2019, but he needs to take care of business against Zerafa for that fight to be finalized.

"We know that the Khan fight is on the horizon, but this is all part of Kell's preparation for being razor-sharp and bringing his weight down to 147 pounds. Zerafa aims to spoil the party," Hearn said.

Brook (37-2, 26 KOs), 32, has not boxed since a second-round knockout of Sergey Rabchenko on March 3. Brook was due to fight on the Dillian Whyte-Joseph Parker undercard on July 28 in London, but was sidelined by the ankle injury during his preparation.

Brook will go into the fight without usual trainer Dominic Ingle, whom Brook said had another commitment. Instead, Brook's corner will be led by friend and former boxer John Fewkes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Boxing Fights That Will Make You Breathless

Boxing Extra

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EvPIz2Sut6c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao Career Highlights

Lifxing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FXGmYySBcVE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Ryan Burnett vs Nonito Donaire full fight WBSS

Rakhat Today

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFoojHwluI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 pm 
Heavyweight

FightNights.com 

@boxing

Floyd is just in it for a money grab at this point. It is what it is. Probably make $100 million fighting this guy in Japan.
cody ducote

@codyducote

Nov 5

Replying to @boxing

All the gambling catching up to him

RubeChat

@KFANRubeChat

Nov 5

Replying to @boxing

He's always in it for the money Grab

Jim Laielli

@jlaielli32

Nov 5

Replying to @boxing

Can u blame him??

Jim Laielli

@jlaielli32

Nov 5

Replying to @boxing

Yeah give me 100 million I'll fight anyone let alone someone I can whoop lol!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 pm 
Heavyweight

Hugo Chavez

@hugaLBDCHReplying to @boxing

Mayweather has always fought for money
Eric Romero

@Ericromero401

Nov 5

Replying to @jlaielli32 @boxing

if this is a real fight and they allow Nasukawa to throw any type of kicks then Floyd ain’t whooping anyone. Nasukawa is pretty damn good

Marcus LosGreat

@cliccmade

Nov 5

Replying to @boxing

Floyd has told us he's in it for the money. I find it hilarious that boxing writers want to cover his events while complaining the entire time.

Marcus LosGreat

@cliccmade

Nov 5

Replying to @Ericromero401 @jlaielli32 @boxing

He cares about money more than winning. But he told us this, he told us he was more about events versus boxing matches. Did we not believe him?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Eric Romero

@Ericromero401Replying to @cliccmade @jlaielli32@boxing

No, its weird that he is fighting Nasukawa. The match is obviously not going to be with a set of rules that puts Floyd at a big disadvantage. if Floyd is going in there to het an easy win and pay day IDK why Rizin would put Nasakawa in there to take a lost....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 am 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao intends to make sure it is a "clear decision" over the winner if, as planned, he faces former foe Floyd Mayweather Jr next year.

The rivals first met in the ring in May 2015, with Mayweather triumphing by unanimous decision on the scorecards following a long-anticipated bout that failed to live up to the hype.

Any possibility of a rematch seemed to disappear when Mayweather announced his retirement following victory over Conor McGregor in August 2017, leaving his professional record at 50-0.

However, the American is set to make a fighting comeback, announcing in Tokyo on Monday that he will face Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on December 31.

Pacquiao defeated Lucas Matthysse in July and is scheduled to be in action again on January 19 against Adrien Broner, yet is already looking ahead to the chance to settle an old score in 2019.

The Filipino fighter was bothered by a shoulder injury in the first clash with Mayweather but is determined to triumph convincingly second time around.

"There is a big possibility [in the rematch] because Floyd is coming back to boxing," Pacquiao told Sky Sports.

"He's fighting in December and I’m fighting in January, so there’s a big possibility for next year. After that, we are going to discuss a rematch.

"My thinking is to have the rematch and to make it a clear decision over who wins the fight. The last one we had, it was not clear who won. He didn't throw a lot of punches, but won the fight.

"I had a shoulder injury, but if there's a rematch there is no excuses."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 417  Next