Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416 ... 432  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 am 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao was born on December 17, 1978, in Kibawe, Bukidnon, Philippines.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:09 am 
Heavyweight

In Adrien Broner's fourth fight he faced Terrance Jett at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on the undercard of the Ricky Hatton vs Paulie Malignaggi fight. Broner defeated Jett with a stoppage in the sixth round. 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:11 am 
Heavyweight

Maurice Hooker turned professional in 2011 and compiled a record of 23-0-3 before challenging and beating British boxer Terry Flanagan for the vacant WBO light welterweight title.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:15 am 
Heavyweight

Saensak Muangsurin from Phetchabun, Thailand was a former WBC light welterweight champion, who set a world record by winning a world title in his 3rd professional fight. He is also Thai world's heaviest boxing champion to date.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 am 
Heavyweight

Thomas Hearns' tall and slender build allowed him to move up over fifty pounds in his career and become the first boxer in history to win world titles in four weight divisions: welterweight, light middleweight, middleweight, and light heavyweight. By later winning a super middleweight title, he also became the first towin world titles in five weight divisions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:34 am 
Heavyweight

"Sugar" Ray Leonard won world titles in five weight divisions; the lineal championship in three weight divisions; as well as the undisputedwelterweight title. Leonard was part of "The Fabulous Four",[5] a group of boxers who all fought each other throughout the 1980s, consisting of himself, Roberto Durán, Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:36 am 
Heavyweight

Oscar Valdez is the WBO featherweight titlist since 2016. Valdez qualified for the 2008 Olympics at the age of 17 and became the first Mexican Youth World Champion. Four years later he qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 am 
Heavyweight

On this week’s Counterpunch, ESPN boxing announcer Mark Kriegel interviews actor and producer Mark Wahlberg and director, writer and actor Pete Berg, two renowned Hollywood figures who also are founders of boxing management firm Churchill Management. This special episode is available now on ESPN+— the new multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer & International segment in conjunction with ESPN.

Kriegel speaks with Wahlberg and Berg about the business of managing fighters and in particular their thoughts on two of their rising stars, Regis Prograis and Alex Saucedo. Saucedo is set for his first world title fight at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in his hometown of Oklahoma City against WBO Junior Welterweight champion Maurice Hooker, tonight at midnight ET and live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:38 am 
Heavyweight

In 1981, Thomas Hearns the WBA Champion, with a 32-0 record (30 KOs), fought WBC ChampionSugar Ray Leonard (30-1) to unify the WorldWelterweight Championship in a bout dubbed "The Showdown." In this legendary fight, Hearns suffered his first professional defeat when Leonard stopped him in the 14th round. In the 13th round, Leonard, behind on points on all 3 judges scorecards, needed a knockout to win. He came on strong and put Hearns through the ropes at the end of the round. Hearns was dazed, totally out of gas and received a count but was saved by the bell. Leonard, with his left eye shut and time running out, resumed his attack in the 14th. Hearns started the round boxing and moving, but after staggering Hearns with an overhand right, Leonard pinned Hearns against the ropes. After another combination to the body and head, referee Davey Pearl stopped the fight. Hearns and Leonard banked a combined 17 million dollars for the fight, making it the largest purse in sports history. The following year, Leonard retired due to a detached retina, and there would be no rematch until 1989.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 am 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao vs. Timothy Bradley II (billed as "Vindication") is a boxing welterweightchampionship fight for the WBO Welterweight Championship. The bout was held on April 12, 2014, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Paradise, Nevada. Pacquiao won byunanimous decision and took the WBO Welterweight title, ending Bradley's undefeated streak.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:42 am 
Heavyweight

Errol Spence Jr and Mikey Garcia have talked for a while, the fight has been expected to be announced, and today it was. The two will meet for Spence’s IBF welterweight title on March 16 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on FOX-distributed pay-per-view.

Spence (24-0, 21 KO) is an elite welterweight, a 28-year-old southpaw who has proven himself every bit the fighter he was expected to be as a prospect, both as an amateur and early in his career.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 am 
Heavyweight

Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn has some big plans for 168lb titleholder Callum Smith, and he’d like for those plans to include a bout against Gennady Golovkin. And Hearn just told Sky Sports that he’s already made contact with Tom Loeffler about the fight — one he thinks can pack Anfield Stadium in Liverpool, England.

“I think it’s a fight that fills Anfield. It’s a great profile fight, it’s a great fight, full stop.

”Also, for Golovkin it gives him a chance to move up, do what ‘Canelo’ is doing, fight for the ‘Super’ title, and also for the ‘Ring’ magazine title at 168lbs.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:46 am 
Heavyweight

Gennady GGG Golovkin won his first major world championship, the WBA interim middleweight title, by defeating Milton Núñez in 2010. The WBA elevated him to Regular championstatus in the same year, and in 2011 he won the vacant IBO middleweight title by defeatingLajuan Simon. In 2014, Golovkin was elevated to his current status of WBA (Super) champion and successfully defended both his titles against Daniel Geale. Later that year he defeated Marco Antonio Rubio to win WBC interim middleweight title, and defeated David Lemieux for the IBF middleweight title in 2015. After Canelo Álvarez vacated his WBC middleweight title in 2016, Golovkin was elevated to full champion and held three of the four major world titles in boxing until being stripped by the IBF in 2018.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:42 am 
Heavyweight

Canelo Álvarez started boxing at 13 years old, after watching his older brother Rigoberto Álvarez's debut as a professional boxer. In 2004 he won the silver medal at the Junior Mexican National championships, held in Sinaloa. He became the 2005 Junior Mexican National Boxing Champion in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, at the age of 15. Canelo has an amateur record of 44-2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:47 am 
Heavyweight

Diego Corrales vs. José Luis Castillo was aboxing match in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on May 7, 2005. Corrales won the fight in the tenth round after himself being knocked down twice in the round.

The fight was a 12-round lightweight unification bout between Corrales and Castillo. Corrales, who had a career record of 39-2-0 with 32 knockouts, was the World Boxing Organization (WBO) champion. Castillo, at 52-6-1 with 46 knockouts, was theWorld Boxing Council (WBC) champion. 

Less than 30 seconds into the tenth round, Castillo hit Corrales on the chin and knocked him down. Corrales spit out his mouthpiece and rose at eight of referee Tony Weeks' count. Seconds later, Castillo knocked Corrales down again. Corrales took his mouthpiece out and rose at nine. Weeks deducted a point from Corrales for excessive spitting out of the mouthpiece. When the fight resumed, Corrales connected with a punch that Castillo later called "a perfect right hand." Corrales then trapped Castillo against the ropes and landed numerous punches that appeared to knock Castillo out on his feet, causing Weeks to stop the fight.

Corrales and Castillo both went to the hospital afterwards.

According to Goossen, "The beating Diego got from Castillo's body punches was unbelievable. They took a urine sample and it looked like a bottle of tomato juice." The fight was almost universally regarded as the best fight of 2005.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416 ... 432  Next