Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 am 
Heavyweight

Up next

Welterweight 147 lbs. Cuba'a Yordenis Ugás vs. United States' Omar Figueroa Jr. 12 rounds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:48 am 
Heavyweight

Yordenis Ugas vs Omar Figueroa Jr
Scott Christ
Ugas is plenty more skilled than Omar Figueroa Jr, but when the light switches on for Figueroa, he’s usually a real handful. I know Ugas had an argument against Shawn Porter in March, but let’s not forget that Porter badly struggled to make weight for that fight, and then the fight itself was not one that anyone expected. Porter didn’t play the bully and charge at Ugas, which is what he’s best-known for, instead trying to bounce around and box, which made for Porter just not fighting as effectively as he probably could have if he’d just used his normal approach.

Figueroa’s not going to bounce around and he’s not going to box. He will come to Ugas, and while Ugas has the ability to outbox Figueroa pretty handily, probably, I don’t think he’s going to be able to do enough to discourage Figueroa, and the pace could really have an impact on Ugas if it’s how I think it’ll be. They’re both going to win rounds, there will be some toss-up rounds, and the decision might be debatable, but I’m going with Figueroa, whose aggression will be favored by the judges. Figueroa UD-12

Wil Esco
I’ve never been impressed by Omar Figuoera, to be quite honest. Yes, he may still be an undefeated welterweight, but I don’t think his heart has ever really been in the sport. Even listening to him talk it comes across as though boxing is something he just does because he grew up in it and he’s pretty good at it, but I don’t think he’s in love with the sport. That may not be the end of the world when facing a certain level of competition, but once you step up against those who are at least, if not more, talented than you, that can be all the difference. Figueroa works best against other scrappers who he can wear down, but I think Ugas also has the skills and desire to overcome whatever Figueroa brings. I think Figueroa takes his first L here, and maybe we don’t see him come back for a long while. Ugas TKO-8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:50 am 
Heavyweight

Patrick L. Stumberg
There’s no doubt in my mind that Yordenis Ugas will outclass Omar Figueroa. Figueroa’s power hasn’t followed him up to 147 pounds and, without it, he lacks the tools to trouble a massively superior technician. The only question is whether the judges will actually reward the Cuban’s efforts appropriately; Figueroa has gotten unreasonably favorable scorecards in all of his close fights, while Ugas is coming off of a bogus decision loss to Shawn Porter.

Perhaps unwisely, I’m making my pick under the assumption that we’ll have at least two competent scorers. Ugas has amply demonstrated that he can deal with basic come-forward sluggers. He picks Figueroa apart from the outside, but still finds a way to lose on one scorecard. Ugas SD-12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 am 
Heavyweight

Lewis Watson
This should be a competitive fight. Ugas earned his stripes dropping a tight split decision against Porter earlier this year and proved he can’t be overlooked at welterweight. If Ugas comes to box, he could make life easy for himself in the later rounds against a contender who will walk forward all night looking to be the aggressor. If Ugas engages in war then this could be a shootout with Figueroa capable of an upset. We tend to sleep on Figueroa due to his problems outside the ring but, on his night, he’ll leave everything in the ring. Ugas UD-12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:03 am 
Heavyweight

Round By Round
YORDENIS UGAS vs OMAR FIGUEROA JR.
Round 1: Figueroa walks straight in and the fighters start trading right away. Figueroa throws a couple throw-away jabs before trying to bury his head in Ugas’ chest. Looping right hand lands for Ugas. Figueroa misses on a left hand. Double jab lands well for Ugas. Hard uppercut lands clean for Ugas. Figueroa tries to come back with some punches to the body. Hard right hand from Ugas makes Figueroa stumble back into the ropes and it’s ruled a knockdown! Two hard uppercuts to the body land for Ugas. Another huge right hand lands for Ugas! Ugas 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:07 am 
Heavyweight

Round 2: Figueroa has a visible mark on the left side of his face. Both fighters meet at center ring and wrestle with one another. Counter right hand lands again for Ugas as Figueroa steps in. Figueroa whacks a right hand as the fighters get ties up at center ring. Uppercut from Ugas just misses Figueroa’s chin. Hard right to the body lands for Ugas. Figueroa lands a short left hook upstairs himself. Ugas gets warned again for holding on the inside. Hard left hook lands to the body for Ugas, then another moments later. Ugas presses Figueroa to the ropes and strafe him with a couple of shots to the body that looked a little low to me. Another body shot lands for Ugas. Ugas 10-9, 20-18.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 am 
Heavyweight

Round 3: Right uppercut to the body makes good contact for Ugas. Figueroa is smothering himself too much to land much of anything effectively. Both fighters continue to stand in the phone booth and exchange punches. Ugas pushes back and lands a left hook to the body. Ugas misses on a big left hook with Figueroa on the ropes. Ugas goes back down to the body with a couple of hooks and makes good contact. ANother uppercut comes from Ugas and Figueroa gets in a left hook to the body. Hard left hook lands upstairs for Ugas twice before the bell rings! Ugas 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 am 
Heavyweight

Round 4: Ugas comes out with a quick jab upstairs. Figueroa tries to throw a few jabs as he moves his head and then puts himself right back in Ugas’ chest. Ugas pushes Figueroa back to the ropes but can’t land much of anything. Figueroa tries to sneak in body shots as he’s pressed up against Ugas but Ugas fires back two much harder ones. I just don’t see Figueroa landing many effective punches. Referee calls a timeout to look at a cut on the top of Figueroa’s head from an accidental head clash. Time is back in and Figueroa tries to get right back to work at close range but takes a couple of clean shots from Ugas in return. Left hook lands to the body well for Ugas, who then follows it up with a series of punches. Right hand to the body makes contact for Ugas. Ugas 10-9, 40-35.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:25 am 
Heavyweight

Round 5: Figueroa falls short on a straight left hand. Referee calls a timeout to take a point from Ugas for excessive holding. Two hooks to the body make contact for Ugas. Ugas presses Figueroa to the ropes and lands a body shot. Now the referee warns Figueroa for holding on the inside. This is an ugly fight. Right uppercut lands to the body for Ugas. Right hand lead lands twice for Ugas at center ring. Right hand lands to the body again for Ugas, followed by a left hook upstairs. Ugas 9-9 with the point deduction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:29 am 
Heavyweight

Round 6: Both fighters trade jabs to open the round. Now they find themselves back in close and Figueroa tries a right hook that gets blocked by Ugas. Two body shots lands for Ugas, who pushes Figueroa back to the ropes again. More sloppy action as the fighters lean on each other and occasionally throw a slapping punch. Combination lands for Ugas as Figueroa tries to roll the punches. More body shots land for Ugas, who has Figueroa in a corner before he unloads some big shots at the bell. Ugas 10-9, 59-53.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:30 am 
Heavyweight

Round 7: Jab falls short for Figueroa. Now he steps forward and they end up in a clinch. Figueroa tries to throw a right hand that misses wide. Right hand to the body lands for Figueroa up close this time, though. Uppercut lands clean on Figueroa’s head. Ugas pushes Figueroa back to the ropes and takes a step back before throws a counter left to the body. Two punches don’t land clean for Ugas but he gets in a good right hand just moments later, followed by a hard left to the body. Two more uppercuts to the body land for Ugas, then a right hand upstairs. Now Ugas throws more punches that land well on Figueroa, who is starting to take some real punishment now. Ugas 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am 
Heavyweight

Round 8: Figueroa tries to lead with two punches but they’re only grazing. Ugas misses on a right uppercut but then lands two jabs as he steps forward. Left to the body partially lands for Ugas. Figueroa lands a jab with his back on the ropes. Two more body shots land for Ugas. Ugas pushes Figueroa off of him and throws a couple more downstairs. Left to the body lands really low and the referee immediately calls time to give Figueroa time to recover, but Figueroa hardly takes any. Back to the action and Ugas starts stepping back as Figueroa walks in on him. RIght hand lands upstairs for Ugas, then another! A couple shots land just after the bell and the referee talks to Ugas about it. Ugas 10-9, 79-71.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:37 am 
Heavyweight

Round 9: Figueroa comes forward but misses on a shot to the body. Right hand partially lands for Ugas upstairs, who then follows it up with another one. Jab lands for Ugas as Figueroa steps forward. Ugas has Figueroa back on the ropes but the fighters end up in another clinch. Two hard body shots land for Figueroa downstairs. Figueroa throws a few weak punches that Ugas easily defends. More punches come from Ugas who then lands a big right hand upstairs. Ugas 10-9.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am 
Heavyweight

Round 10: Both fighters start the round off in a clinch, which is fitting. Uppercut partially lands for Ugas. Figueroa slaps with a couple of punches but takes another uppercut to the body that landed low, but Figueroa hardly complains about it. Ugas pushes Figueroa back and throws a couple of punches before he gets smothered again. Figueroa moves his head from side-to-side but they end up in just another clinch along the ropes anyways. Ugas probes with several shots and then lands a right hand before the bell. Ugas 10-9, 99-89.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:48 am 
Heavyweight

Round 11: Figueroa looked completely demoralized between rounds. Both fighters come out and hug each other for almost 20 seconds. Not Ugas sneaks in a right uppercut as a counter. Two more uppercuts come from Ugas who then leans on Figueroa on the ropes. Figueroa tries to throw a short right uppercut of his own. Two body shots come from Ugas, who then puts in up upstairs for good measure. Ugas gets warned again for holding on the inside. Ugas throws a couple of punches and then circles out to his right. Right hand lead lands for Ugas. Ugas 10-9.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482  Next