Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:26 am 
Heavyweight

KELLERMAN: ANDRE WARD WOULD BE THE FAVORITE AGAINST ALL THE LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHTS
“I think Andre [Ward] is the favorite against all [light heavyweights],” said Kellerman to fighthype. “You know who the best pound-for-pound fighters are as pros? It’s the best international amateurs unless it’s someone like Manny Pacquiao. Andre Ward was an undefeated amateur fighter, Olympic gold medalist that hadn’t lost since he was 14-years-old.

“There’s a reason for that, right? When he got to the pros, he won all his fights. I think he would figure out a way to beat all these guys. That doesn’t mean he does it. You fight the top guys one after another, eventually someone has your number. I would make him a favorite against all those guys [at light heavyweight],” said Kellerman.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:27 am 
Heavyweight

With Kellerman and Ward both being on ESPN working as commentators, it makes you wonder if Max is giving him a lot of favorable press due to him being a co-worker. However, if Kellerman truly believes that Ward beats all the top light heavyweights in the division now, he should encourage him to make a comeback and fight Beterbiev right away. That’s probably not going to happen. If Ward did come back, he probably wouldn’t take on Beterbiev, because there are bigger fights than that for him.

BETERBIEV, BIVOL OR GVOZDYK AREN’T THE BEST OPTIONS FOR WARD
Ward could make more money fighting Canelo Alvarez, Gennady Golovkin or Anthony Joshua. His chances of beating of them would likely be low at this point. Yeah, a young and active Ward in the prime of his career would likely beat Canelo and Golovkin, but he’s not young and not in his prime, is he? Ward obviously would be the underdog against all those guys, and especially against Joshua.

Since Ward never really proved that he was cut out to fight at 175 long term, it would be a bad idea for him to come back to that division age 35. If Ward fights Beterbiev, it’s very, very likely that he gets knocked out within six round. He couldn’t use the grappling to save him against Beterbiev, because the guy is too strong and he hits too hard in close.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:28 am 
Heavyweight

BETERBIEV TOO GOOD OF AN INSIDE FIGHTER FOR WARD
Unlike Kovalev, Beterbiev knows how to fight in close. There are some guys that Ward could probably beat at 175, but not any of the current champions. He’s been out of the ring for too long, and he looked poor in his last 2 fights. Kovalev wouldn’t allow Ward to hold all night like he did in their first fight.

I don’t think a fight between Ward and Joshua would sell unless he moved up to heavyweight and showed the boxing world that he’s for real. For fans that remember how Ward looked in his two fights with Kovalev, it wasn’t the fighter that we remembered from his best years. Ward looked depleted, and not capable of beating Kovalev from the outside.

His rematch with Kovalev was quite controversial with boxing fans thinking he stopped him from low blows. For Andre Ward to beat the elite guys at 175, he would need to be able to fight them, and not wrestle for 12 rounds. We don’t know what would have happened in Ward’s rematch with Kovalev if the referee had ruled that he had hit him low in the 8th. The fight would have kept on going, and it’s anyone’s guess who would have won.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:29 am 
Heavyweight

KELLERMAN DISCUSSES HIS FAST TWITCH THEORY ON SPORTS ATHLETES
“In all sports, it comes down to fast twitches [muscle fiber]. Who’s got those extra fast twitches,” said Kellerman. “Those are the guys that you think are different level athletes, and the ones without that like Beterbiev have to compensate for a lack of lightning speed and reflexes with physical strength, high IQs, timing, and experience. But those guys are harder to identify. Only experience shows you that. The guys that are easy to identify are the lightning fast guys,” said Kellerman.

In boxing some fighters do well with fast hands, but it doesn’t always work that way. Obviously, Beterbiev showed that it doesn’t matter if you’re hands are slower. Gennady Golovkin wins despite not having a lot of speed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 am 
Heavyweight

DID WARD RETIRE TO AVOID FIGHTING BETERBIEV AND BIVOL?
Some boxing fans believe that Ward retired in 2017 because he didn’t want to risk his unbeaten record against Beterbiev and Bivol. Had Ward continued his career in 2017, he would had pressure on him from boxing fans to fight Beterbiev and Bivol. Given that that Ward had seemingly lose hand speed and mobility at age 33, his main tool at that was his grappling on the inside. As we saw with Beterbiev, he’s too strong on the inside to be mauled by fighters.

Ward would likely get overpowered if he tried to wrestle Beterbiev into a state of exhaustion, which is what some believe was his whole game plan in his fights with Kovalev. Ward got the worst of it when Kovalev was on the outside.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:31 am 
Heavyweight

TEOFIMO LOPEZ PICKS WARD TO BEAT BETERBIEV
“Artur had a good game plan. He knew the Nail [Gvozdyk] was going to try and out-box him, stay on the outside, get his points, and get his punches in and get his punches in,” said Teofimo Lopez to fighthype about the Beterbiev vs. Gvozdyk fight. “Andre Ward,” said Lopez when asked if Ward would beat Beterbiev if he came back.

Teofimo is perhaps remembering Ward from what he did earlier in his career when he fought at 168, and beat the likes of Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler. Those fights took place 9 to 10 years ago in 2010 and 2011. Ward was no longer the same fighter he was back then when he fought Kovalev in 2016 and 2017, and did a lot of wrestling on the inside.

If Ward came back, he would likely go back down to 168 because he wouldn’t match-up well against Bivol or Beterbiev. If Kovalev loses his November 2 fight against Saul Canelo Alvarez, there won’t be any point in Ward fighting him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:33 am 
Heavyweight

Tyson Fury Claims He's 'Taking Over All Combat Sports'
Tyson Fury Claims He's 'Taking Over All Combat Sports'
RYAN SIDLE in BOXING
Published 17:28, Friday 18 October 2019 GMT+1

Tyson Fury reached the top of the boxing mountain, next he aims to conquer the world of professional wrestling and now he's but MMA on notice as he threatens to take over.

The Gypsy King became the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, IBO and The Ring world heavyweight champion when he defeated Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 am 
Heavyweight

On October 31st Fury has the chance to master another fight discipline when he makes his competitive professional wrestling debut at WWE's Crown Jewel but it seems that won't satisfy Fury.

Speaking to TMZ he undefeated boxer claimed he was taking over combat sports, saying, "I'm taking over. I'm taking over all combat sports.

"So whatever combat sports you're in, beware because The Gypsy King is coming."

Asked specifically about MMA he continued, "MMA takeover."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:36 am 
Heavyweight

The British boxer suffered a nasty looking cut in his recent fight with Otto Wallin, which surprisingly went all 12 rounds, the injury mixed with his participation in WWE put question marks around his rematch with Deontay Wilder.

However Fury seemed to put an end to any questions, telling TMZ, "How do I look? I look like a million dollars. I smell like a million dollars. The cut's healing up. Deontay Wilder, I'm coming for you sucker!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:37 am 
Heavyweight

The two undefeated heavyweights are pencilled in to face each other again on February 22nd, with a third fight also reportedly contracted, but first Wilder must get through another rematch.

The Bronze Bomber faces Luis Ortiz on November 23rd and should he get through that and Fury get through his WWE debut then the two men will meet again.

Their previous meeting ended in a draw last December. It was a controversial result with many believing the Englishman had won and fans of the American arguing that he'd twice knocked his opponent to the mat, with Fury making an Undertakeresque comeback in the 12th round.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:37 am 
Heavyweight

Boxing's lineal heavyweight champion isn't the only combat sport crossover making his debut for WWE in Saudi Arabia as he'll be joined by former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

The Mexican appeared in WWE for the first time on the same night as Fury and attacked former UFC rival Brock Lesnar, and he'll face Lesnar, the man he defeated to become world champion, at Crown Jewel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Timothy Bradley concerned about Andy Ruiz Jr weight loss
ANTHONY COCKS 20 OCTOBER 2019
Andy Ruiz weight loss
Andy Ruiz Jr.
Former world champion Timothy Bradley has questioned the wisdom of Andy Ruiz Jr 33-1 (22) dropping weight ahead of his rematch with Anthony Joshua 22-1 (21) in Saudi Arabia on December 7.

Ruiz Jr was crowned IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion after his shock seventh-round knockout of Joshua in June when he weighed 268-pounds.

But recent photos have emerged showing a slimmed-down Ruiz Jr and Bradley doesn’t like it.

SEE ALSO

“I don’t like the fact that Ruiz is changing his whole look and whole physique,” Bradley said to Fighthype.

“I think that’s going to hurt him. But I think he might speed up with the hand speed. It might speed up, but I’m worried about the power.

“I don’t know if he’s going to have the weight behind his punches anymore, and that’s what he’s going to need honestly. That’s what he’s going to need to stop Joshua.

“He’s going to need that punching power, and his speed behind it. I told him the last time I saw him, ‘Be yourself, man. Who cares about all this stuff whatever. Be you. Do what got you there.’

“He just needs to be hungry. That’s it, and be a dog. Be able to take the punches from Joshua, and dish it back.”

Bradley insists Joshua is going to need to go for the knockout if he wants to regain his titles.

“He’s got to knock him out,” he said. “It was a mental thing, and it was a fact that he got caught right on the button. It was a fact that he didn’t train like he normally trains for big fights. He possibly took Ruiz lightly in looking at his physique like, ‘Ah, he’s nothing.’

“Giving him his belts at the weigh-in. Like, ‘Here hold my belts,’ at the press conference. I’m like yo, this dude is being a little bit too nice. He’s like trying to be the brother-in-law Ruiz a little bit. I just thought that was odd. I thought all those gestures were odd.”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Boxing Results: Taylor beats Prograis, captures Ali Trophy
Boxing News Boxing News
6 hours ago

Latest DAZN Josh Taylor Regis Prograis Taylor vs. Prograis
Regis Prograis v Josh Taylor, World Boxing Super Series Super-Lightweight Ali Trophy Final, WBA Super, IBF, WBC Diamond & Ring Magazine Super-Lightweight titles, o2 Arena, London 26th October 2019 Picture By Mark Robinson.

By Kenneth Friedman: Josh Taylor and Regis Prograis battled it out on Saturday night in the final of the WBSS light welterweight tourney in London, England. IBF champ Taylor came out the winner in beating WBA champion Prograis by 12 round majority decision by the scores 114-114, 115-113, and 117-112.

There wasn’t a lot of grumbling on social media after the scores were read. The boxing fans at ringside at the O2 Arena were thrilled that the 28-year-old Taylor had his hand raised, as that’s their guy were cheering throughout the contest.

Prograis will be back, but not against Taylor. A rematch between them won’t be happening for a long while. Taylor has other fish to fry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:01 pm 
Heavyweight

The fight was close enough for it to go either way. A draw or a victory either way would have been fine. Although Boxing News 24 had it for Taylor, this writer saw Prograis edging it based on his late rally.

It was a good fight and quite entertaining from start to finish. The crowd was firmly on Taylor’s side, which isn’t surprising given that he’s from Scotland, and Prograis from the U.S.

The win for Taylor (16-0, 12 KOs) gave him the Muhammad Ali Trophy, which is given the winners of the World Boxing Super Series tournament.

Where Prograis made a mistake is he didn’t fight hard enough 3 through 7. He let Taylor be the aggressor and throw more punches. In between rounds, Prograis’ corner wasn’t lighting a fire under his backside to let him know that he wasn’t fighting hard enough. He was throwing too many jabs, single punches, and backing up entirely too much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 pm 
Heavyweight

The fight was lost by Prograis not showing tenacity he needed do in rounds 3 through 7. Although Prograis did come back in the championship rounds, it wasn’t enough to win over the judges. Prograis did come back in rounds 10 through 12, but he needed to do more earlier in the contest.

Prograis procrastinated when he should have been fighting tooth and nail. You have to blame Prograis and his corner for the loss. His corner should have lit a fire under him to let him know that he was blowing it by not fighting hard enough early on.

“It was a close fight, the better man won tonight so it’s cool,” said Prograis. “I thought it was pretty even until the last three rounds, thank y’all England, I’ll be back. I enjoyed that, I’m sure he did too. Hopefully, we do a part two.”

Prograis was too calm afterwards in being interviewed. When he said he thought it was an even fight, he didn’t look or sound believable.

The referee let Taylor get away with a lot of hitting after the bell. On four occasions in the fight, Taylor hit Prograis after the round had ended. Doing that once or twice is tolerable, but when it’s 4 times, a point should have been deducted.

“He was very good, very strong. Very good head movement, very good timing,” Taylor said. “He lives up to his name. He exceeds his reputation with his power, definitely. He has great timing. Respect to him.”

Taylor’s right eye was swollen up, and he looked like he’d taken a beating.

Prograis failed to make adjustments early on when it was patently obvious that Taylor was the better inside fighter. His corner should have told him to stay on the outside, and not fight Taylor in close. Prograis was getting worked over in close, and he wasn’t able to let his hands go enough.

Being economical while on the inside against a busy fighter like Taylor was Prograis’ downfall. His trainer should have told him in strong language to keep the fight as far on the outside as possible. Taylor was doing a number on Prograis at close to medium distance, and he didn’t have the work rate to win from that range.

After the fight a lot of boxing fans on social media started calling for Taylor to move up to welterweight to take on WBO champion Terence Crawford. That fight obviously isn’t going to happen. The guy that Taylor wants is WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Jose Ramirez. He’s beatable, but not Crawford. that fight will likely never happen. Taylor is a good fighter, but not that good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491  Next