Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:34 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:33 pm 
Heavyweight

"It's kind of what I expected," Garcia said. "All respect to Duno. He came to fight, he came in shape. He caught me with an overhand right and I took it and from there I knew I could keep taking them and keep coming at him. When I took his best shot, I knew, all right, I got him. Everybody knows he has a big overhand right. He's put a lot of people to sleep with that, and then when I took it, I thought, 'Oh, OK, that's what it is.' And I felt good from then."

Garcia (19-0 16 KOs), 21, of Victorville, California, who was the 2017 ESPN prospect of the year, went to Duno and blew him away from the start. Duno, who earned $50,000 to Garcia's $250,000, got in a few decent shots, but Garcia took them with no issue. Garcia stayed poised and put punches together before an impressive closing sequence. He landed a left jab and a right hand before flooring Duno with a sweeping left hook to the head.

Duno (21-2, 6 KOs), 24, of the Philippines, who is trained by former junior flyweight world titlist Rodel Mayol, went down awkwardly and tipped over onto his face and referee Tony Weeks waved it off at 1 minute, 38 seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm 
Heavyweight

"Kingry" took criticism from his promoters at Golden Boy and many fans on social media that he felt was wholly undeserved when he declined to face Duno on 24 hours' notice six weeks ago. Garcia was due to fight Avery Sparrow in the co-feature of a Mexican Independence Day weekend card in Carson, California, on Sept. 14, but when Sparrow was arrested the day before the fight, it was canceled.

Golden Boy wanted Garcia on short notice to instead face Duno, who would have moved up from being deep on the undercard. Duno agreed to the fight but Garcia didn't. Duno won his undercard fight and Garcia didn't fight.

The situation led to a near breakup between Garcia and Golden Boy, but they eventually worked out their issues and signed a five-year contract extension. Garcia, who trains alongside Alvarez with trainer Eddy Reynoso, insisted that his first bout of the deal be against Duno to prove he was not ducking him, as Duno had accused.

Garcia wants to move on from the Duno soap opera and fight even better opposition.

"I'm just learning my overall game, footwork, speed, power," he said. "I'm just soaking it in. With Canelo there [in training camp], it's an honor. It makes me feel good just watching him spar, watching him train. He tells me I'm gonna do good, and I feel good.

"I just want better competition the more I step up. I'm only 21 and a lot of people forget that. But I'm going at my pace, whatever I feel I'm ready for, I'll take on."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 am 
Heavyweight

In a battle for internet bragging rights in front of 15,000 fans at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA, an odd boxing match between two interesting entertainers, KSI and Logan Paul, transpired. The fight was competitive throughout, and both men showed a warrior’s spirit despite very little boxing experience. They weren’t exactly master technicians, and their pro-boxing careers should not transcend their level of competition. KSI and Logan Paul deserve full respect for stepping in the ring and training their hardest. In their performances, they showed competitive fire and resilience. All things considered, the bout went surprisingly well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 am 
Heavyweight

Reports emerged earlier this month that Mayweather was pursuing a second fight with Pacquiao after pulling out of negotiations with Hong Kong boxing group DEF Promotions.

Promoter Jay Lau told The Sun at the time: “Mayweather came two times to Hong Kong.

“He spoke with my son Jayson and we had communications but now he is focussing the Pacquiao rematch.

“We were talking about an exhibition in China, a big event but not a recorded professional boxing fight.

“Something like Mayweather vs Tenshin in Japan.

“We spoke a bit about doing a special fight in China, but halfway through he turned to the Pacquiao rematch, so we stopped.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 am 
Heavyweight

Nonito Donaire is always on hand to remind us why we love this sport.

He’s almost 37 and has never looked fitter.

He’s nearer the end than the beginning but his chin is still resolute.

He remains a destructive hitter.

He is quick with a smile, in victory or defeat, and is happy to shake hands or an embrace, whether he wins or loses.

He answers hard questions. He loves his wife. He’s a role model to his kids. He’s adored, admired and appreciated by boxing.

He’s given us Knockouts of the Year, Upsets of the Year, he’s bounced through the weights chasing greatness – not always money, but legacy – and he’s taken aim at the best over and over.

We should not have questioned him, but the vast majority of people in boxing thought it would be a matter of time before the vicious Japanese whirlwind Naoya Inoue swirled through him and made him his 17th stoppage victim in 19 fights in last week’s World Boxing Super Series finale.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 am 
Heavyweight

Instead, Donaire finished his 12-round war with the pound for pound ‘Monster’ on his feet. Inoue longingly held onto the Filipino when they embraced at the end, a sliver of skin missing above his right eye, an orbital bone broken, part of his nose had been fractured and blood was streaming from it.

It had not been a procession or an announcement, it had been a gutcheck that solidified Inoue’s status as one of the best of the world, a fighter who, after a rest, will come back with experience you can’t teach and an education you can’t buy.

The respect wasn’t merely between the fighters, it was felt throughout the sport.

Yes, Inoue had won the World Boxing Super Series bantamweight crown but Donaire shared the spoils around the world with the credit he’d earned in defeat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:23 am 
Heavyweight

Comment by Phill lynott on 11-11-2019
Agree completely. Touched on what this fan felt and I'm sure many others. Great fight. Great concept (WBSS) and great article!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 am 
Heavyweight

Comment by NachoMan on 11-11-2019
I think many hardcore boxing fans will have this as FOTY so far. What a great, high-level pretty fight to watch!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:25 am 
Heavyweight

Comment by Flo_Raiden on 11-11-2019
Had to cleanse myself after tuning into last weekends "fight" by rewatching this incredible fight. My God, it was such a refresher seeing the beautiful violence from both fighters, unlike the cirucs show that people actually paid to see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:26 am 
Heavyweight

That extraordinary lefthook against an onrushing and sadistic savant, Vic Darchinyan, who’d humiliated Nonito’s older brother, Glenn, then put Victor Burgos in a coma in the two fights that preceded his intended wasting of Nonito. Darchinyan’s signature charge embraced contemptuous entitlement more than strategy, fists not just waistlow but cocked, when Nonito clipped him and changed both their careers.

True an eraser as exists in our beloved sport, that Donaire lefthook. It erased everything we predicted on Thursday, no? It flew in round 1 but got outsped by Inoue’s own eraser, the same way everything Donaire did most of the fight got outsped by what Inoue did, but in round 2 it did something wicked. It gifted The Monster with a monstrous gash, concussion and facial fracture.

We hadn’t before Thursday an inkling how Inoue might react to such trauma and hadn’t much more of an inkling immediately after it happened; Inoue’s composure revealed that his brow had been sliced, not that his cheek had been cracked. In retrospect and upon review, what is most beautiful about the rounds that followed is how close the men stood to one another without wasted motion. No twitching, no hotfooting; Donaire and Inoue stood inside their arms’ lengths and threw punches at one another.

Donaire knew how good Inoue was, and Donaire gave him everything he had left. Inoue did not know how good Donaire’s chin was, none of us did, frankly, and went after him imprudently on several occasions but none so predatorily as after blackmatting Donaire with a precise buttonshot 90 seconds in the championship rounds. Donaire circled desperately as any man with a vital organ under direct attack. Inoue hunted him with punches fundamentally flawless and a defense that was not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:27 am 
Heavyweight

After 30 seconds of being a prey Donaire let sail a lefthook that braked Inoue’s engine for their fight’s final four minutes. If Inoue knew a man is never more dangerous than when hurt he didn’t feel it till 1:54 of round 11 of the WBSS Final – a punch he will not forget. Done were Inoue’s leads; nearly every punch he threw after that Donaire lefthook got preceded by a jab, the way you learn your first week in a boxing gym. If the match’s final round was anticlimactic it was because the match climaxed four minutes before its closing bell when both men realized they’d given enough of themselves and enough to one another.

I watched Thursday’s WBSS Final on short rest and 12 hours after an unsettling adventure with stroboscopic LEDs, so I may be an unreliable narrator, but Inoue-Donaire was complete a prizefight as I’ve seen in many years. Bless them both.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:52 am 
Heavyweight

Devin Haney retained the WBC Lightweight title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Alfredo Santiago.

In round five, Haney landed a hard right that was followed by a left that put Santiago on the canvas.

In round 11, Santiago was cut over his left eye.

Haney, 135 lbs of Las Vegas won by scores of 120-107 on all cards and is now 24-0. Santiago, 135 lbs of Fajardo, PR is 12-1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Here are the official weights from today’s weigh-in for this Saturday’s Hennessy Sports World Championship Boxing event at The York Hall, Bethnal Green, headlined by Alex Dilmaghani v Francisco Fonseca for the Vacant IBO World Super-Featherweight Championship and John Joe Nevin v Freddy Fonseca for the Vacant WBA International Super-Featherweight Championship:

The Vacant IBO World Super-Featherweight Championship
12 x 3 Minute Rounds at 9st 4lbs (130lbs)

Alex Dilmaghani
Crayford, England
9st 3lb 8oz (129.8lbs)

vs.

Francisco Fonseca
Managua, Nicaragua
9st 3lb 5oz (129.5lb)

The Vacant WBA International Super-Featherweight Championship
10 x 3 Minute Rounds at 9st 4lbs (130lbs)

John Joe Nevin
Mullingar, Ireland
9st 3lb 2oz (129.2lb)

vs.

Freddy Fonseca
Managua, Nicaragua
9st 3lb 6oz (129.6lb)

6×3 Minute Rounds Middleweight Contest

Michael Hennessy Jnr.
Sevenoaks, England
11st 5lb 8oz (159.8lb)

vs.

Richard Baba
Szeged, Hungary
11st 5lb 6oz (159.6lb)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm 
Heavyweight

“Manny Pacquiao or [Floyd] Mayweather or someone big like that,” said Khan to IFL TV when asked who he wants to fight in 2020. “I want to be back out in March next year. A few fights we’re looking at. The Kell Brook fight.”

The timing for Khan to be returning to the ring in March is ideal for Pacquiao, who will be on leave from his senate job in the Philippines. Pacquiao is free from March to May.

The two names that have been mentioned as possible options for Pacquiao’s next fight are Mikey Garcia and Danny Garcia. Khan fits in nicely with those two. He’s arguably better known than both worldwide, and he brings a lot to the table in name recognition. Khan is better suited to the welterweight division than Mikey Garcia.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 pm 
Heavyweight

2019 not a great year for Khan

Khan had a so-so year in 2019 finishing with a 1-1 record in losing to WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford, and then beating a horribly over-matched lightweight Billy Dib.

It was difficult to imagine why Khan chose to fight an opponent two divisions below him at 135, but wins are hard to come by for the 32-year-old Amir. Despite it being a mismatch, it was a big payday for Khan in a fight that took place in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Khan also made a great deal of money for his title challenge of Crawford last April. Financially, 2019 was an excellent year for Khan, but obviously he would have liked to have won both fights.

“Kell Brook wants the fight, and that could be a fight for us next,” said Khan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493  Next