Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Mikey Garcia Not Sure If He Can Hurt Bigger Fighters At 147
By Manouk Akopyan
Published On Sat Dec 28, 2019, 12:08 AM EST
Four-division champion Mikey Garcia took the tall task to climb from 135 to 147 pounds in order to fight Errol Spence Jr. in March.

His valiant effort ultimately was unsuccessful in the one-sided beatdown, but that didn’t deter the 32-year-old Mexican fighter to continue campaigning in his career as a welterweight, just as he’ll do so again Feb. 29 when he takes on Jessie Vargas in Texas on DAZN in his Matchroom Boxing debut.

“I asked for them to look into the 140-pound division as well, but the names were not quite available. If I wanted to do something at 147, this was a good fight to show that I do have more in me than what they saw in my last fight,” Garcia told BoxingScene.com in an interview. “My last performance was not the best and that truly left a very bad taste. I feel that there’s a lot more people can see, and I want to show them. That night was just not my night. I want to repair and make up for that.

“Maybe you won’t be able to see all that I can do against a bigger man because maybe I won’t be able to hurt them with my power. They’re the bigger guy. I don’t know what to expect from Jessie. I can’t give any insight into what to expect. It’s going to be a great matchup.”

Garcia said he’s looking forward to the test the five-feet taller and three-inch longer in reach Vargas will present. Vargas will be the much bigger man come fight night. Vargas was close to moving to 154 earlier this year to fight Jaime Munguia, but negotiations eventually fell apart.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:43 pm 
Heavyweight

“Jessie is a quality challenge as a two-division champion. He’s only lost to Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley. It’s a good fight. I like it. He’s no pushover, and this is not an easy fight. He’s a big guy,” said Garcia. “I’m obligated to fight good opponents. I’m after legacy. My family was saying to take an easy fight, knock them out and make some money. I said, ‘No. I’m not about that. I don’t want to f------ take that. I owe it to my fans. I can’t just do it for quick money.

“It’s my return fight, but I don’t want a C-level fighter. There were a few names presented where I said, ‘No. I’m not getting in the ring with that guy. It’s going to look embarrassing if I fight them. Give me somebody else.”

The 32-year-old Garcia (39-1, 30 KOs) will look to prove his point, and his power, against Vargas (29-2-2, 11 KOs).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:22 am 
Heavyweight

Yuriorkis Gamboa at least is supposed to add name recognition to Gervonta Davis’ record.

If everything unfolds according to Mayweather Promotions’ plan Saturday night in Atlanta, the powerful southpaw will knock out Gamboa and move toward more meaningful fights in 2020. But even at 38, Davis considers Gamboa just fast, strong and experienced enough to approach the 2004 Olympic gold medalist as a legitimate threat in their lightweight title fight at State Farm Arena.

To ensure he doesn’t end up on the wrong end of what would be a huge upset, Baltimore’s Davis has prepared for the Gamboa that troubled Terence Crawford early and buzzed him late in their fight 5½ years ago, not the Gamboa that Robinson Castellanos beat up and stopped in May 2017.

“You can’t sleep on Gamboa,” Davis told a group of reporters recently. “He just had a second-round knockout. He looked good, so I definitely ain’t sleeping on him. Actually, he started boxing, turned pro, before me. So, we know he a veteran, we know he strong, he fast and I can’t overlook him.”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:23 am 
Heavyweight

The 25-year-old Davis referred to Gamboa’s second-round knockout of former WBO junior lightweight champ Rocky Martinez (30-4-3, 18 KOs). Gamboa got that win on the Davis-Ricardo Nunez undercard July 28 at a sold-out Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore.

Davis recorded a second-round knockout of his own against Panama’s Nunez (21-3, 19 KOs), who was the mandatory challenger for the WBA 130-pound crown Davis vacated to move up to the 135-pound division.

Davis (22-0, 21 KOs), who is listed by most sports books as a 20-1 favorite, and Gamboa (30-2, 18 KOs) will fight for a vacant version of the WBA’s lightweight title. Ukraine’s Vasiliy Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs) is the WBA’s “super” champion at lightweight.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:24 am 
Heavyweight

In a Season of Rematches, Browne Wants His Against Pascal or Jack
By Mitch Abramson
Published On Sat Dec 28, 2019, 02:18 AM EST

Gervonta Davis's star power and ability to attract fans has dominated the storylines heading into Saturday’s Showtime-televised card in Atlanta.

But underneath his title fight with Yuriorkis Gamboa, beneath the deserved hype for one of the sport's top young talents, resides an intriguing matchup between Badou Jack and Jean Pascal — two fighters who have long been written off in their careers.

And watching from ringside on Saturday in Atlanta will be light heavyweight Marcus Browne, who is preparing to face the winner of Pascal-Jack and is also trying to rehabilitate his reputation after suffering the first loss of his career.

This fight-triangle between Jack, Pascal and Browne may not be front-and-center on Saturday, but it has all the makings of a fun, enduring, personality-driven rivalry that could capture the public's attention, not unlike the rivalry between Jermell Charlo and Tony Harrison, whose dislike for each other and verbal and fistic fireworks produced one of the better match-ups and rematches last week. Pascal handed Browne his first loss back in August after Browne won a decision against Jack in January in a fight that was marred by a grotesque cut on Jack’s forehead from a head-butt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 am 
Heavyweight

If Pascal retains his interim title in Atlanta against Jack, he is basically required to face Brown next since there was a rematch clause in their contract for their fight in August that stipulated that Pascal was allowed to take another fight before he had to face Browne again, according to a source.

If Jack walks away the winner, it’s basically understood that Browne will likely also face him next, in a rematch of their January bout.

Browne said he won't root outwardly for either Pascal or Jack in their light heavyweight title match in Saturday’s co-feature.

But he will be inwardly and quietly pulling for Pascal to win.

Well, Browne’s inner monologue will actually be screaming for Pascal to win.

And who can blame him?

Brown wants payback after Pascal sent him to the canvas three times on his way to a technical- decision victory.

The fight was stopped due to a cut over Browne’s eye, the final indignity on a night that Browne described as a “series of unfortunate events.”

While Browne (23-1, 16 knockouts) could live with another fight with Jack — whom he decisoned in January to win a vacant interim title in the biggest victory of his career — he has retribution on his mind against Pascal.

“Hopefully he does win,” Browne said in a phone interview on Thursday. “I want to get that win back. Hey, we’re in a season of rematches in boxing, right? Anthony Joshua got his (against Andy Ruiz). Charlo got his (against Harrison). Why can’t Marcus Browne get his?”

Browne, a 2012 U.S. Olympian, believes that Pascal will be too explosive, unpredictable and rugged for Jack, who at 36, may be on the back-nine of what has been a widely admired and decorated career.

“He’s very crafty and Badou is going to have to respect that,” Browne said. “I just think Pascal has a lot of dog in him. He’s going to do whatever it takes to get the ‘W.’”

He speaks from experience. Browne was boxing beautifully against Pascal, gobbling up early rounds against the former champion when he momentarily let down his guard, his concentration lapsed, and he was clipped three times by Pascal right hands and floored in the fourth and twice in the seventh.

In the next round, an accidental head butt opened a cut over Browne’s left eye, and the bout was stopped after consultation with the ringside doctor. Browne suffered his first loss by scores of 75-74 on all three scorecards. What's worse, he was even with Pascal heading into the last round, so the bout was decided by the eighth round, which was stopped halfway through because of the cut.

“Everyone saw what happened that night,” Browne said. “He dropped me but he was continuously head-butting me throughout the fight. I tried to tell the referee, but hey, no excuses. He’s a veteran and a professional and at the end of the day he did what he had to do to get the win and I respect that. I just want to get him back. He can’t run forever.”

Though it may not have the intrigue of a fight with Pascal, Browne does have a built-in incentive to face Jack again if Jack wins on Saturday. Browne wants to quiet the whispers that Jack was diminished due to the horrific cut he sustained during the fight. In other words, Browne beat an injured fighter back in January, is what he’s hearing.

“Leonard Ellerbe kept on saying that Jack was flat that night and he blamed the cut,” Browne said. “He’s a top tier fighter and I respect that he wants to face me again and has something to prove as well, just like I have something to prove against Pascal.”

Browne expects to get a little camera time on Saturday when he’s picked out of the audience during the co-feature.

“I’ll be ringside ******* my chops,” he said. “I definitely have a vested interest in what happens.”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:57 am 
Heavyweight

Undefeated two-time super featherweight world champion Gervonta “Tank” Davis (23-0, 22 KOs) successfully moved up to 135 pounds and won the WBA Lightweight Title with a 12th round knockout of former unified champion Yuriorkis Gamboa (30-3, 18 KOs) Saturday night live on SHOWTIME in front of 14,129 fans from the award-winning State Farm Arena in Atlanta. Watch the KO HERE: https://youtu.be/RQwX_UkJbDY

Baltimore’s Davis further cemented his status as one of boxing’s most must-watch attractions, delivering knockdowns in rounds two and eight before delivering the final blow in round 12. Davis’ trademark left-hand was on display all night, causing all three knockdowns including a devastating uppercut in the final round that closed the show in style and brought the fans in a raucous State Farm arena to their feet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 am 
Heavyweight

The power-punching southpaw landed on 48 percent of his power punches and established overall leads of 120-78 in overall punches, 27-9 in jabs and 93-69 in power. Davis’ excellent defense was also on display as Gamboa was only able to connect on 13 percent of his punches, including just 3 percent of his jabs.

The 38-year-old Gamboa, who was severely hampered early on by what he believes to be a ruptured Achilles tendon that occurred just before the second-round knockdown, showed tremendous heart and resilience to survive what looked like multiple knockout blows from the 25-year-old Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:54 pm 
Heavyweight

Of this year’s world title fights, the breakdown by governing body showed eight WBO fights, five IBF, four WBA, three WBC and two IBO for Filipino boxers. Casimero had three wins, including two interim WBO bantamweight title bouts, while Pacquiao and Ancajas took two each. Other winners were Nonito Donaire Jr., Vic Saludar and Taduran. Donaire stopped Stephon Young to retain his super WBA bantamweight title in Louisiana last April then lost his crown to Naoya Inoue in Saitama last November. Saludar retained his WBO minimumweight belt by outpointing Masataka Taniguchi in Tokyo last February but surrendered it to Wilfredo Mendez on a decision in Puerto Rico last August.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Casimero, a former IBF lightflyweight and flyweight champion, claimed the interim WBO bantamweight diadem via a 12th round disposal of Ricardo Espinoza in Carson, California, last April then defended the title on a 10th round knockout over Cesar Ramirez in San Andres, Manila last August. The interim championship was created while WBO titleholder Zolani Tete recovered from a training injury. Last November, Tete was back in the ring and faced Casimero in Birmingham. Casimero dethroned Tete on a third round knockout then called out super WBA/IBF champion Inoue for a unification showdown.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Ancajas was just as dominant as Casimero and Pacquiao. He retired Japanese challenger Ryuichi Funai after six rounds in Stockton last May then blew away Chile’s Miguel Gonzalez at 1:53 of the sixth in Puebla, Mexico, early this month. Taduran beat another Filipino, Samuel Salva, to capture the vacant IBF 105-pound title in Taguig last September.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:58 pm 
Heavyweight

Aside from Donaire, Saludar and Salva, other Filipinos who lost in world title fights this year were Marlon Tapales (to Ryosuke Iwasa on an 11 th round TKO in Brooklyn for the interim IBF superbantamweight crown), Joey Canoy (to Nkosinathi Joyi on points in South Africa for the vacant IBO minimumweight crown), Carlo Penalosa (to Maximino Flores on a seventh round technical decision in Novaliches for the vacant IBO flyweight crown), ArAr Andales (to Knockout CP Freshmart on an eighth round technical decision in Thailand for the WBA minimumweight crown), Randy Petalcorin (to Ken Shiro on a fourth round TKO in Yokohama for the WBC lightflyweight crown), Jonathan Taconing (to Ken Shiro on a fourth round TKO in Osaka for the WBC lightflyweight crown), Arthur Villanueva (to Nordine Oubaali on a sixth round TKO in Kazakhstan for the WBC bantamweight crown), Edward Heno (to Elwin Soto on points in Indio, California, for the WBO lightflyweight crown), Juan Miguel Elorde (to Emanuel Navarrete on a fourth round TKO in Las Vegas for the WBO superbantamweight crown) and Aston Palicte (to Kazuto Ioka on a 10th round TKO in Chiba for the vacant WBO superflyweight crown).

Filipinos were winless in three WBC and two IBO world title fights but won three of four in WBA bouts, three of five in IBF and four of eight in WBO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496