Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:16 am 
Heavyweight

MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons’ son Brendan said the other day the postponement of IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas’ eighth title defense from last Saturday night to Dec. 7 may be a blessing in disguise.
Brendan, who is managing Ancajas’ affairs in Los Angeles while his father is busy laying out plans with super WBA welterweight champion Sen. Manny Pacquiao for MP Promotions in Manila, said moving the fight site from the Dignity Health Sports Park in nearby Carson to Puebla, Mexico, could only expand the Filipino’s burgeoning fan base.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 am 
Heavyweight

The 2019-2020 NBA season is not even a month old, but LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers have emerged as the betting favorites to hoist the Larry O'Brien Trophy in June. The Lakers currently own +300 odds, with the Los Angeles Clippers (+350), the Philadelphia 76ers (+600) and the Milwaukee Bucks (+600) following closely behind.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:44 am 
Heavyweight

Kawhi Leonard will miss the Los Angeles Clippers' Wednesday night game against the Milwaukee Bucks due to load management. It will be the second game he's missed this season, both of which were nationally televised. The official designation for Leonard's absence is "injury/illness, load management (knee)."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:50 am 
Heavyweight

ESPN insider Brian Windhorst made it very clear that Davis won’t go anywhere in the near future. Davis can become an unrestricted free agent next offseason if he declines his 2020/21 player option with the Lakers. This is something he is widely expected to do, as he can make more money on the open market: “He [AD] is not going anywhere. The expectation is that he is where he wants to be and he is happy. There is almost no one in the NBA that thinks he’s not going to re-sign with the Lakers,” Windhorst said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:25 am 
Heavyweight

When Nonito Donaire is quizzed where he was on July 7, 2007, a night he was a heavy underdog in his first world title fight, he immediately remembers. “That’s the day I knocked out Vic Darchinyan,” Donaire says without thinking twice. Over the last dozen years, Donaire has faced and beaten some of boxing’s best that were thrown his way, including the much-feared Darchinyan that summer night, a knockout of the year winner and the first big win of his career that officially put him on the map.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 am 
Heavyweight

Donaire will find himself in the same position Thursday as he did twelve years ago, already having secured what should be a Hall of Fame resume in between. Much like Darchinyan was the dodged knockout master he ended up conquering, the Filipino fighter will step into the ring against Naoya Inoue, another heavy-handed man who’s earned the moniker of the “Monster” for his highlight-reel exploits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am 
Heavyweight

Rather turning it into any big media event, Nicola Adams chose her local newspaper to announce that she was hanging up her gloves. The 37-year-old, who holds the WBO flyweight title, said she is quitting the ring after suffering an eye injury and being told she could permanently damage her eyesight if she continued. While she didn’t reach her full potential as a professional, she was a trailblazer as an amateur, becoming the first female boxer to win an Olympic gold medal in 2012 in London (as a flyweight, her final was first) and then becoming the first to win a second gold medal in Rio de Janeiro four years later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 am 
Heavyweight

America’s leading female boxer Claressa Shields will be ringside at Saturday’s SOLD OUT #MTKFightNight at York Hall.WBC, IBF, WBO and WBA world middleweight champion ‘T-Rex’ is in the UK sparring Hannah Rankin ahead of the latter’s own world title tilt and will travel to London to watch a bill that includes Chantelle Cameron’s WBC world super-lightweight title final eliminator against Anahi Ester Sanchez. As she prepares for her first visit to an iconic venue, Shields is eager to see another leading light of women’s boxing in Cameron up close and personal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm 
Heavyweight

A reasonable debate says the Bill Russell Trophy, better known as the NBA Finals MVP, is the real MVP (with all due respect to Kevin Durant’s mom). That’s because the Finals MVP -- other than Jerry West in 1969 -- takes home that and the NBA championship trophy. Kawhi Leonard has not one, but two Finals MVPs … and with different teams, making it all the more impressive. Should he win another with the Clippers, he’d become the first player to pull off three with three.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Naoya Inoue (18-0, 16 KO) vs Nonito Donaire (40-5, 26 KO), bantamweights, 12 rounds
Nordine Oubaali (16-0, 12 KO) vs Takuma Inoue (13-0, 3 KO), bantamweights, 12 rounds
Shokichi Iwata (3-0, 2 KO) vs Alejandro Cruz Valladares (5-1, 0 KO), junior flyweights, 6 rounds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 pm 
Heavyweight

A pair of bantamweight title fights from Saitama, Japan, with Naoya Inoue and Nonito Donaire meeting in the main event. Inoue is defending the IBF title against Donaire’s WBA belt, and the two are also fighting for the Muhammad Ali Trophy in the finals of the World Boxing Super Series tournament. Inoue is a big favorite here — experts think he’ll get the stoppage — but Donaire is a dangerous veteran, naturally a bit bigger of a man, and has a lethal left hook.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 pm 
Heavyweight

In the co-feature, undefeated WBC titleholder Nordine Oubaali will defend against Takuma Inoue, Naoya’s unbeaten brother. That’s more of a 50-50 matchup, or at least closer to it than the main event.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Consider the arrival of future Hall of Famer Nonito Donaire in the finals. Coming off losses in two of his last three fights at higher weights, and not having fought at bantamweight since defeating Omar Narvaez in 2011, Donaire was an underdog to advance past the first round. Fate had other plans. After a competitive first three rounds, then-undefeated and recently unified titlist Ryan Burnett tore an oblique muscle and was forced to retire in the fourth round.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 pm 
Heavyweight

Nordine Oubaali retained the WBC Bantamweight title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Takuma Inoue. In round four, Oubaalui landed a right to the body that was followed by a huge left to the head that sent Inoue down for the 1st time in his career. Oubaali won most of the rounds with good counter punching. Inoue made one last effort in the final frame as he drove Oubaali into the ropes with a big left hand, but it was too little-too late as Oubaali won by scores of 120-107. 117-110 and 115-112. Oubaali of France is now 17-0. Inoue of Japan is 13-1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Dwight Howard seems confident that he belongs, going so far as to name himself as the “sixth man” off the bench for his All-Time Lakers starting five. On his list are Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaq, and Magic Johnson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next