Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Kevin Pelton: That no front-runner has emerged nearly a quarter of the way through the season, which suggests we could have a wide-open race like the one in 2017, when four different players received first-place votes.

Brian Windhorst: The depth of it. Despite injuries to a couple of legitimate candidates -- namely Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant -- there are four or five players who could make a claim as the quarter pole approaches. This was billed as a season of parity, and this MVP race has it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:29 pm 
Heavyweight

Tim MacMahon: That a 20-year-old must be included in a conversation that features a few former MVPs who are playing at ridiculously high levels. It's astonishing to see how consistently dominant Doncic is at such a young age. I mean, the kid had a 41-6-10 line in a road rout of a West contender, and it was maybe his third- or fourth-most impressive performance last week.

Jackie MacMullan: Just as there's no overwhelming favorite for the title this early in the season, there's not (yet) a runaway candidate for MVP -- but not for lack of choices. The usual suspects are in the mix, but it's refreshing that Doncic, Pascal Siakam and Nikola Jokic are able to even earn consideration for such a hallowed honor. That's exciting news for the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Is it more likely we have a first-time MVP or a repeat winner?

MacMullan: A repeat winner. Giannis, LeBron and Harden all land on my top-five MVP list and each has won before. The only player who gives me pause is Kawhi Leonard, but his load management plan keeps him from being considered seriously for this award. MVPs play in big games, regular season or not.

Marks: A repeat winner. With all due respect to what Doncic has done so far, I am not convinced yet that he will continue at this pace all season. One of the big three of Harden, Antetokounmpo and James will end up earning another win.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Windhorst: Doncic is going to be an MVP. I don't know when. It could happen this season, though I can't bring myself to expect it. Maybe I'm foolish to think he'll go through a rough patch or two, but I think that's headed for Doncic and the Mavs, so this won't yet be his time. But it's coming.

Pelton: A repeat winner. Of the top four candidates so far, only Doncic is a first-timer, and I would give him the weakest odds of that group to actually win. As a result, I don't think this is particularly close.

MacMahon: I'll go with the collective odds of Antetokounmpo, Harden and James. Antetokounmpo and Harden are both putting up stats that are significantly superior than their recent MVP seasons. James cares about defense again, leads the league in assists and so far has the "best player on best team" title.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Who is your MVP pick based on the season so far, and who do you think will ultimately win the award?

Pelton: I would go with Harden at this point. With teammates starting slowly, Harden has again carried a heavy load for the NBA's fourth-best offense, and he generates additional value by playing more minutes per game (37.3) than the other top contenders. As for who will win, I think the answer is whichever of the candidates' teams finishes with the best record, and right now that looks to be the Bucks and a Giannis repeat.

MacMahon: It would be an agonizing choice right now. Put the top four names in a hat and pull one out and I'd be fine with it. I'm going to cop out and uncomfortably ride a four-way fence for now. Ultimately, I'd agree with the Vegas odds and say that a Giannis repeat is the safest bet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:52 pm 
Heavyweight

MacMullan: My MVP at this moment is Giannis, but LeBron is a close second, with Doncic and Harden in hot pursuit. All four of them are playing remarkable basketball, but Giannis is on pace to post the highest PER in NBA history. He's scoring, he's defending with impunity, he's devouring the boards and he has added a keen sense of playmaking that keeps him a cut above the others, whose sidekicks (Anthony Davis, a rapidly improving Kristaps Porzingis and Russell Westbrook) make their jobs that much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Windhorst: I just can't pick one player with conviction at the moment. What I do think is that it will be a real race this season and we'll be discussing it for months.

Marks: Harden. Teams have continually had to devise a game plan for Harden, even going as far as double-teaming him on nearly every possession. While his efficiency has dropped, Harden is averaging three more free throw attempts per game compared to last season and is hovering right around 38 points per game. If the Rockets can stay in the top four of the West, Harden should have his second MVP in three seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:43 pm 
Heavyweight

Anthony Davis shrugged off a constant cascade of boos and reminded a packed crowd exactly what it lost when the six-time All-Star’s trade request was finally fulfilled. Davis capped a 41-point performance in his return to New Orleans by intercepting Jrue Holiday’s inbounds pass with 5 seconds left and making a pair of game-sealing free throws, and the Los Angeles Lakers extended their winning streak to nine with a 114-110 victory over the Pelicans on Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:45 pm 
Heavyweight

An energetic crowd booed Davis during introductions and virtually every time he handled the ball, only to see him and new teammate LeBron James take over in the fourth quarter. James had 29 points and 11 assists, scoring 15 points in the final period, when Kyle Kuzma added nine of his 16 points to help the Lakers erase a 10-point deficit. “My teammates kept telling me, ‘AD, don’t worry about it. We’re going to get this win. We’ll find a way to win it for you,’” said Davis, who spent his first seven years in New Orleans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Over the past couple of months there have been numerous reports that Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury have already signed a contract for a rematch at the top of 2020, and representatives from both of their camps have done nothing but affirm that point. Now parties from both sides — particularly Shelly Finkel (who represents Wilder) and Bob Arum (representing Tyson Fury) — have told ESPN that the heavyweight rematch will take place on February 22nd.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:33 pm 
Heavyweight

“We’re going to have an announcement before Christmas, but the fight is happening Feb. 22. You can go to sleep on that,” Arum said. “It will all get worked out in early December as far as the site, but the 22nd is the date,” Finkel said. So with the date in line, now the sides just need to settle on a venue. That doesn’t appear to be any potential road block though, as both sides are confident they’ll hammer that out in pretty short order. Arum says that with all things being equal, the fight will likely take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a joint pay-per-view which will be aired by ESPN/FOX.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 pm 
Heavyweight

This week’s ranked fights:

Featherweight: (4) Oscar Valdez vs Andres Gutierrez [super featherweight], Nov. 30
Featherweight: (5) Carl Frampton vs Tyler McCreary, Nov. 30
Bantamweight: (5) Zolani Tete vs John Riel Casimero, Nov. 30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 pm 
Heavyweight

Heavyweights Upcoming Fights: (3) Andy Ruiz Jr vs (4) Anthony Joshua, Dec. 7 ... (7) Alexander Povetkin vs Michael Hunter, Dec. 7 ... (1) Tyson Fury vs (2) Deontay Wilder, Feb. 22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Cruiserweight Upcoming Fights: (6) Denis Lebedev vs Thabiso Mchunu, Dec. 21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Lught Heavyweight Upcoming Fights: (6) Jean Pascal vs (8) Badou Jack, Dec. 28 ... (1) Artur Beterbiev vs Meng Fanlong, TBA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 67  Next