Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:02 am 
Heavyweight

Brooklyn Nets star guard Kyrie Irving may have been out of the lineup, but Boston Celtics fans still voiced their opinion about how he left town during Wednesday's game between the Nets and Celtics in Beantown. Boston fans took part in a "Kyrie sucks" chant, even without Irving on the floor. Irving is dealing with a shoulder injury that is keeping him sidelined during Brooklyn's current road trip. In addition, the former Celtic isn't traveling with the team, so he wasn't in attendance to hear the rousing jeers directed at him. Irving has been out of the lineup for the last six games, but the Nets still managed to put together a 5-1 record entering Wednesday's contest. In 11 games this season, Irving is averaging 28.5 points, 7.2 assists, and 5.4 rebounds while shooting 34.1 percent from beyond the arc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Kawhi Leonard led all scorers with 19 points in his second game back in San Antonio since being traded away prior to last season, but it wasn't enough as the Spurs beat the Los Angeles Clippers 107-97. Leonard, who was joined the Clippers in the offseason after one season with the Toronto Raptors, had 13 points in the first half. Derrick White and LaMarcus Aldridge scored 17 points and DeMar DeRozan chipped in 15 for the Spurs, who had lost 10 of their last 11 games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:46 pm 
Heavyweight

Giannis Antetokounmpo drained four clutch baskets down the stretch as the Milwaukee Bucks won their 10th consecutive game with a 119-110 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Friday. Milwaukee led by as many as 22 points in the first half but Cleveland chipped away until they closed the gap to just three late in the fourth but that was as close as they would get.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:51 pm 
Heavyweight

LeBron James had 25 points, nine assists and a crucial dunk off a miss late in the fourth quarter to lead the Los Angeles Lakers to a 105-96 victory over the Denver Nuggets on Tuesday night (Wednesday, PHL time). Anthony Davis shook off flu-like symptoms to score 25 points and add 10 rebounds for the Lakers. Both teams were coming off losses that ended long winning streaks, but it was Los Angeles that bounced back behind James and Davis.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:53 pm 
Heavyweight

When Johnriel Casimero is in prime form, he’s a wrecking ball. Highly touted South African Zolani Tete found this out on Saturday, November 30 (Sunday, December 1, Philippine time), when the Filipino road warrior stopped him in 3 rounds to snatch the World Boxing Organization bantamweight crown at Arena Birmingham in England. Giving up 5 inches in height and 8 inches in reach, Casimero, the clear underdog before the fight, spent the first two rounds scaling the distance and timing Tete’s movements.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Casimero, the pride of Ormoc, Leyte, found a hole midway of the 3rd, sneaking in a cracking right to the temple which staggered Tete, and followed it up with another right that sent his stunned opponent down. Though Tete’s legs were clearly wobbly even after the mandatory 8 count, referee Steve Gray allowed the fight to proceed. Casimero wasted no time going for the kill, cornering Tete, landing more power shots that forced Gray to call a halt at the 2:14 mark.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:26 pm 
Heavyweight

GREG Slaughter vowed to make the most of the the opportunity to play for Gilas in the 30th Southeast Asian Games. The 7-foot Ginebra star made it to the final 12, replacing TNT KaTropa’s RR Pogoy, who sustained a back injury during the PBA Governors’ Cup. Slaughter, who has recovered from a thumb injury, says Gilas should’t hold back as it goes for the Philippines’ 13th straight SEA Games gold medal and 18th overall.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm 
Heavyweight

It was the fifth straight stoppage win for Casimero, raising his record to 29-4 with 20 knockouts and paving the way for a possible unification bout against Japanese superstar Naoya ”Monster” Inoue next year. “Give me Inoue,” Casimero said in the post-fight interview. “Come on Inoue, Monster, come with me!” That mouth-watering duel might take a little longer to happen, however, as Inoue suffered a broken nose and an orbital fracture in his World Boxing Super Series title victory over Nonito “Filipino Flash” Donaire, on November 7 in Japan, needing more time before returning to the ring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:30 pm 
Heavyweight

International matchmaker Sean Gibbons, the president of MP (Manny Pacquiao) Promotions, made it clear Inoue would be Casimero’s next target if ever he gets past Tete, who dropped to 28-4 with 21 knockouts. According to Gibbons, who flew to London last week to oversee Casimero’s last week of preparations, Inoue’s style suits his prized fighter well and swears by Casimero’s punching power, citing Tete’s annihilation as example. Gibbons said Casimero has fought for titles in 7 countries, but has never seen action in Japan, where Inoue is a national idol.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Slaughter joins an all-pro basketball team composed of June Mar Fajardo, Christian Standhardinger, Kiefer Ravena, Japeth Aguilar, Troy Rosario, Vic Manuel, LA Tenorio, Stanley Pringle, Marcio Lassiter, Matthew Wright and Chris Ross. Gilas will start its campaign in the biennial meet against Singapore at 8 p.m. on Wednesday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Casimero’s willingness to fight anyone and anywhere—including Tete in England, where the long-reigning bantamweight titlist has been primarily based since 2016—was appealing to Pacquiao and his team, even more so following Saturday’s win. It means even more to the newly crowned bantamweight titlist to fly the banner with pride. “It’s a thrill that The Senator picked me as one of the top fighters in the Philippines to sign with his company,” notes Casimero. I’m very happy that The Senator has faith in my abilities and that he has picked me to win and represent MP moving forward.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Undefeated Japanese super lightweight prospect Koki Inoue knocked out Jheritz Chavez of the Philippines in the seventh round at the famed Korakuen Hall here Monday night to capture the WBO Asia-Pacific super lightweight belt in front of his cheering countrymen. The 27-year-old Inoue (15-0-0, 12KOs) used his superior boxing skill to dominate Chavez (9-4-2, 7KOs) as long as the fight lasted. Chavez, 28, the reigning Philippine super lightweight champion, tried to pressure the lefty Inoue by going forward and timed him with his looping lefts and right straights but the Yokohama based Japanese deftly dodged Chavez's bullets and in return regularly connected with his own sharp right jabs and left counters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 pm 
Heavyweight

The way Casimero sees it, there’s no better way to pay homage to the Filipino icon and all-time boxing great than to add a “Monster” entry to his already incredible resume. On his radar for 2020 is a massive showdown with Japan’s unbeaten pound-for-pound entrant and unified titlist Naoya Inoue (19-0, 16KOs) “I will be honored to represent MP Promotions when we get to face “The Monster” Naoya Inoue,” said Casimero. “My man Inoue. Monster, come to me and fight!” It’s a fight that his handlers plan to work on immediately, although the stronger reality is that Casimero will be required to go to Inoue in order to make the fight happen “The champ has won in seven different countries; the only one where he hasn’t won is Japan,” Sean Gibbons, president of MP (Manny Pacquiao) Promotions noted after Casimero’s latest road win. “That’s the fight The Senator wants, that’s the fight that we want.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 pm 
Heavyweight

The Gilas Pilipinas men's team was simply too much for Indonesia in the final of the 3x3 basketball competition. The Filipinos earned another comfortable win, 21-9, to claim the gold medal in the 30th Southeast Asian Games and complete a sweep of the event, having won all eight of their matches. The win completed a gold sweep for the Philippines in the inaugural 3x3 SEA Games competition, after the women's team survived a gallant stand by Thailand a few minutes earlier to take the title.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Anthony Joshua appreciates that a neutral panel of judges have been assigned to work his rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr. on Saturday night. Joshua just doesn’t think their scorecards will impact the result of their second fight. The former IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champ can’t envision his second fight with Ruiz going the distance. Six months after suffering a stunning, seventh-round, technical-knockout loss to Ruiz, the British superstar expects to return the favor at Diriyah Arena in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia. Joshua predicted a knockout victory Tuesday following an open workout in Diriyah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 41  Next