Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 pm 
Heavyweight

"The fans in Puebla have welcomed me with open arms. This is going to be a classic all-Mexican battle, but 'Vaquero' will once again be victorious. In 2020, I would love to unify titles at 122 pounds, and if any of the bantamweight champions would like to move up to 122, I am here. I want to fight the best. That's the Mexican way. I'm very happy to be defending my world title in my beloved Mexico. I'm excited to get in the ring. Horta is a very strong fighter. I told him to train hard so we can give a great fight to the people of Mexico. This fight will be won by the fighter that is the most prepared. I want to thank Zanfer and Top Rank for allowing me to appear in Mexico as a world champion."

Last edited by boxing_the_no1_sport on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 pm 
Heavyweight

In the first two rounds, Tete controlled the pace with his right jab to keep Casimero at bay. Casimero circled Tete patiently, studying his prey, stalking, watching. Tete had a five-inch height and eight-inch reach advantage so Casimero had to figure out how to come closer to connect. Tete, a southpaw, looked huge when the bell sounded and Casimero estimated he had to be at least 140 pounds after weighing in at 116.25 the day before. The extra poundage made Tete slower and an easier target. For over two months, Casimero labored in Las Vegas, training under Nonoy Neri and Ting Ariosa with Memo Heredia supervising his strength and conditioning program. “Isang baraha na lang naiwan sa akin, last card ko na,” said Casimero. “Three times a day kami nag-training sa Vegas. Pahinga lang kung Linggo at sa pagod ko, ‘di na ako lumabas ng bahay. Binigyan ako ng pagkakataon ni Sen. Manny (Pacquiao) na mag-bagong buhay. Tinyaga ko na lang. Naumpisahan ko na, tatapusin ko ito.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:51 pm 
Heavyweight

Casimero said he wasn’t surprised when Tete crumpled to the canvas. “Sapol kasi,” he said. “Tinamaan ko sa utak. Akala niya, sa sikmura ko siya tatamaan. Bigla kong inatake sa ulo. May lakas si Tete at naramdaman ko yung left straight niya sa katawan. Alaga rin ako sa mga unang rounds. Maganda ang technique niya, mahaba, mataas, may lakas. Tingin ko, mas complete fighter si Tete kaysa kay (Naoya) Inoue.” Casimero said with discipline, he didn’t find it difficult to make weight. “Dito muna ako sa bantamweight,” he said. “Maraming plano si Sir Sean (Gibbons). Baka labanan ko si Inoue o kaya yung WBC champion (Nordine Oubaali of France).”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Here’s how “Father Time” diminished six greats who came before LeBron:

1. Michael Jordan: When he retired for the second time, after his last season with the Bulls, Jordan was still very much a physical marvel and the reigning MVP and Finals MVP (he won five MVPs and six Finals MVPs). He was certifiably great for 13 of his 15 seasons and could’ve been longer if not for three years of college ball, an injury-shortened 1985-86 season and 1 ½ missed seasons due to baseball. His body only began to betray him when he un-retired in 2001 to play for the Wizards. At 38, Jordan rarely dunked, wasn’t as sharp defensively and knee issues limited him to 60 games in 2001-02.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 pm 
Heavyweight

2. Jerry West: “The Logo” never had a down year in his 14-year career. He was First-Team All-Defense in 1972-73 as a 34-year-old and was solid in his final season (20.3 ppg, 6.6 apg, 2.6 spg). But he wasn’t at his peak of the late 1960s and opted to quit over pride (and money, when Lakers owner Jack Kent Cooke refused to renegotiate his contract).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm 
Heavyweight

3. Bill Russell: His career ended mainly because he ran out of psychological fuel. Russell lost his passion to play at 35, even after winning championship No. 11 in his final season (1968-69). That season, he played 46.1 mpg in the playoffs, averaging 10.8 ppg, 20.5 rpg and 5.4 apg. While those numbers are perhaps skewed by the way the game was played back then, they’re still remarkable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm 
Heavyweight

4. Wilt Chamberlain: A man of astonishing stats, Chamberlain averaged a league-leading 18.6 rpg and shot 72.7% overall in his final season (1972-73). Knee issues had long forced Wilt into being a statue in the paint and a third option on offense. After that final NBA season, he jumped from the Lakers to the ABA for money. San Diego offered him $600,000 to be a player-coach, but his Lakers contract prevented him from playing. Wilt coached instead, doing so with disinterest, often not showing up for games or practice. He quit basketball completely after that season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:58 pm 
Heavyweight

5. Kobe Bryant: Those roundtrip flights to Germany to get oil for his knees managed to delay the obvious for a few years, but a torn Achilles in 2013 at 35 was the killer. Kobe, much like Jordan and LeBron, was elite into his 30s. And he’ll always have that 60-point send-off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:59 pm 
Heavyweight

6. Karl Malone: He won his final MVP at 35 and was built for durability, never suffering a serious injury. He averaged 20.6 ppg in his final season with Utah (2002-03) as he approached 40. By then, he had morphed into a jump shooter and lost his instincts for offensive rebounding. He bowed out as a ring-chasing role player with the Lakers in ‘03-04.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 pm 
Heavyweight

LeBron seems determined to be the outlier. He spends, by various estimations, more than $1 million on his body for round the clock therapy and a personal trainer. Last summer, he refused to allow the shooting schedule for the movie “Space Jam 2” to interfere with his schedule, rising at 3:30 a.m. to train before heading to the set. He has more than once fantasized about staying in the league long enough to possibly play against or alongside his son, Bronny (now a high school freshman).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:48 am 
Heavyweight

Anthony Davis scored 26 points, and LeBron James added 20 points as the visiting Los Angeles Lakers got off to a fast start and held off the Utah Jazz, 121-96, on Wednesday. The Lakers won a game for the second consecutive night, a back-to-back feat made even more impressive by the fact that they played at altitude in Denver on Tuesday and did it again at Salt Lake City. The Lakers improved to 10-0 away from Staples Center. The do have a road defeat to the Los Angeles Clippers in their shared building.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:49 am 
Heavyweight

James, who leads the NBA in assists, added 12 more to his season total. He played 29 minutes while Davis played 26 after they each saw 37 minutes of action at Denver. Rajon Rondo contributed 14 points and 12 assists for Los Angeles. Donovan Mitchell had 29 points, and Rudy Gobert added 13 points and 10 rebounds as the Jazz lost at home for just the second time in 10 games. Bojan Bogdanovic had 23 points for Utah.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 am 
Heavyweight

Deontay Wilder’s latest performance in the ring was yet another knockout. How well he performed at the box office, however, is a matter to be decided by boxing’s unofficial judges. Multiple industry sources have informed BoxingScene.com that the Nov. 23 Fox Sports four-fight Pay-Per-View telecast—topped by Wilder’s repeat knockout win over Luis Ortiz—from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will land just north of 275,000 units sold in domestic sales. The most generous estimates have the event falling shy of 300,000, although performing considerably better than previous and largely unconfirmed rumors regarding the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC)-branded event.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:55 am 
Heavyweight

The figure places PPV revenue at roughly $21 million in addition to what was produced at the live gate—with those figures expected to be released in the coming days—along with international PPV sales. The heavyweight headliner in Las Vegas saw Wilder rally from a considerable scorecard deficit to score a highlight reel, one-punch 7th round knockout of Miami’s Ortiz (31-2, 26KOs; 2NCs) in their heavyweight title fight rematch. The bout came nearly 21 months after their memorable first meet, where Wilder stopped the Cuban southpaw in the 10th round of their March 2018 Showtime-televised headliner in Brooklyn, New Year, which peaked at 1.2 million viewers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:58 am 
Heavyweight

Anthony Joshua has rejected the claim by IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz - who insists he was never hurt in their first meeting back in June. Ruiz went down in the third round of the contest. When Joshua made an aggressive attempt to finish him off - Ruiz clipped him hard with a counter and the British star never recovered. Joshua went down two times in the same round, and then twice more in the seventh before the fight was waved off. The rematch takes place on Saturday night in Saudi Arabia.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 67  Next