Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:21 pm 
Heavyweight

Following the Los Angeles Lakers’ 136-113 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday night at Moda Center, point forward LeBron James talked on the chemistry between him and Anthony Davis: “It’s just the respect and understanding between the two of us. We hold each other accountable every game and when it starts with us, it trickles down to everybody else on the team, so we all buy in. Once our teammates see how we sacrifice for the team, how much we buy in to what Coach Vogel and the coaching staff want to do, and how much we hold each other accountable, everything trickles down to the rest of the guys,” James said, per Lakers Nation. This season, James is averaging 25.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.3 steals, and 10.7 assists per game, while shooting at 49.7% from the floor. Davis, meanwhile, is averaging 26.6 points, 9.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 2.7 blocks, and 3.1 assists per contest, while shooting at 49.4% from the field.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:14 pm 
Heavyweight

WBA, WBO and IBF holder Anthony Joshua is eyeing WBC champion Deontay Wilder following Saturday’s triumph. Anthony Joshua said he “would love” to unify his belts against Deontay Wilder as the prospect of a highly anticipated heavyweight showdown edges closer after the British boxer regained his titles. In a rematch with the man who sensationally dethroned him in June, Joshua reclaimed the WBA, WBO and IBF belts by unanimous decision against Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:16 pm 
Heavyweight

Joshua produced a calculated performance to avenge the only loss of his professional career as the challenger prevailing 118-110 on two of the scorecards and 119-109 on the other. After becoming a two-time heavyweight champion, attention quickly turned to Joshua and a potential blockbuster with WBC holder Wilder, who is set to meet Tyson Fury in a rematch. Asked whether he wanted a unification bout against Wilder, Joshua told reporters: "Yeah, definitely. I would love to. I have united four."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm 
Heavyweight

"It's hard to keep and unite them. We will see what happens. I think me chasing, same in the fights, it may come crashing down. I'm just gonna let the path take its course. When the opportunity presents itself, I'll step up and take the challenge." While Joshua versus Wilder is the fight everyone wants to see, the 2012 Olympic gold medallist is open to facing Ruiz again in Saudi Arabia to complete the trilogy. The great thing is his view on Saudi Arabia, Joshua said when asked about Ruiz's determination for a third battle. That's positive because he was a bit wary at first, so it's nice to see he has changed his opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:09 pm 
Heavyweight

The level of play LeBron James has been at in his 17th NBA season and second with the Los Angeles Lakers has been truly astonishing. James is leading the league in assists and has the Lakers atop the Western Conference at the quarter-point of the 2019-20 NBA season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 pm 
Heavyweight

With the league being at this point, it is customary for many to begin looking at the favorites for awards races and that is exactly what is happening. ESPN recently conducted a straw poll, asking 101 media members across the country who they would vote for the 2019-20 NBA Most Valuable Player award right now: With 29 first-place votes and 651 total points, James placed second in the poll to reigning MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo. He is leading the race so far is difficult to argue. The do-everything forward has somehow raised his scoring and rebounding numbers from last season’s MVP campaign, ranking second and fourth in the league in those categories, respectively. He also leads the league in PER and double-doubles while improving his three-point shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:13 pm 
Heavyweight

James leads the league in assists and is the driving force behind the team’s outstanding start to the season. Doing what he’s doing at this stage of his career is truly unbelievable and a great story, which can often be a factor in determining the MVP race. Doncic doing what he’s doing in just his second season at only 20 years old may be as improbable as James’ 17th season. He ranks third in the league in points, second in assists, second in PER, and leads the league in triple-doubles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:14 pm 
Heavyweight

Doncic doing what he’s doing in just his second season at only 20 years old may be as improbable as James’ 17th season. He ranks third in the league in points, second in assists, second in PER, and leads the league in triple-doubles. Meanwhile, Harden is averaging nearly 40 points per game and has somehow found another level to his already legendary scoring exploits. Anthony Davis finished seventh in the poll behind Pascal Siakam and Kawhi Leonard, but there is a massive gap between the top-four and the rest of the field. Without a doubt, this is a race that will come down to the final weeks of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:34 am 
Heavyweight

Indonesia kept Gilas Pilipinas on its heels for the first 22 minutes, but all it did was delay the inevitable. Gilas Pilipinas used a back-breaking third-quarter run to dispose of Indonesia, 97-70, and reach the championship match of the 2019 Southeast Asian Games at the Mall of Asia Arena on Monday, December 9. Chris Ross, Matthew Wright, and Marcio Lassiter all found their groove from long distance in the second half as the Philippines set up a finals date with Thailand seeking to win a 13th straight gold medal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:56 am 
Heavyweight

Team Philippines sustained its assault on the Southeast Asian Games record books, as seven of its pugs led another searing gold medal onslaught that not only widened the Filipinos’ lead over a badly beaten field in the race for the overall championship but also jacked up the all-time gold record with still two days left in the 30th edition of this region’s Olympics. After putting 10 fighters in the finals, the Filipinos were unrelenting, with six of the wins coming via unanimous decision and Eumir Marcial knocking the lights out of his Vietnamese foe in the middleweight finals later that more than made up for the exits of the Philippines’ first three fighters — Irish Magno (women’s fly), Marjon Pianar (men’s welter) and women’s lightweight bet Riza Pasuit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 am 
Heavyweight

Reigning Aiba world featherweight champ Nesthy Petecio destroyed Myanmar’s Oo Nwe Ni for a 5-0 score, which came minutes before Marcial, an Olympic hopeful like Petecio, applied his handiwork on Nguyen Manh Cuong, whom he stopped after less than a minute into the fight after connecting on the Vietnamese’s body several times.
Carlo Paalam notched the first boxing gold by ruling the men’s lightflyweight division, before Roger Ladon followed suit with a flyweight win.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:59 am 
Heavyweight

Josei Gabuco and James Palicte also hammered 5-0 wins over separate foes in the women’s and men’s lightflyweight classes, respectively. It was sweet success for the boxers, who couldn’t pull off a repeat of their 2005 feat when they swept all the gold medals the last time the country hosted the Games. Those seven gold medals made for a huge chunk of the Philippines’ Day 9 harvest of 21 gold medals, jacking up the Filipinos’ overwhelming total to 133 golds, obliterating — with conviction — the old mark they established 14 years ago when they won 113 gold medals. Together with its 98 silver and 100 bronze medals, Team Philippines has totally made the other countries in the 11-nation conclave eat its dust, with Vietnam having a 77-77-88 count and Thailand, which overtook Indonesia for third spot, having 74-90-99.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:09 am 
Heavyweight

Between LeBron James, Anthony Davis and now the Lakers as a whole, someone from Los Angeles has been represented in each one of these winner's columns. And for good reason. As of Monday, the Lakers own the NBA's best record at 21-3. James and Davis are proving to be one nasty duo, and the roster looks unstoppable enough on most nights to picture another championship making its way to the Staples Center. The Lakers are amid a four-game winning streak and proving to be a menace on both ends of the court night in and night out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:10 am 
Heavyweight

Posting an offensive rating of 113.7 and a defensive rating 104 -- ranked fourth in the NBA in both categories -- the Lakers join the Bucks as the only teams to hold top five ratings both offensively and defensively. To expand on their efficiency, the Lakers rank first in the league in team field goal percentage, connecting on 49 percent of their shots as a whole. With the consistent size the Lakers can put on the floor, and subsequently quarterbacked by James, Los Angeles continuously finds either the open man without hesitation for an easy bucket by the rim. While James and Davis are the obvious story, with the most recent example being Sunday's win that was propelled by a combined 82 from them both with Davis adding 50, it's been the support from role players that's helped Los Angeles get off to a roaring start.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:45 am 
Heavyweight

Capitalizing on the reinstatement of women’s boxing in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games, Filipina pugilists enthralled the crowd inside the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay City with their gold-clinching performances on Monday, December 9.
Josie Gabuco and Nesthy Petecio aced their assignments in the finals of their respective weight classes, attesting that their bracket deserves to be a staple in the regional biennial meet. Gabuco drew a thunderous chorus of cheers as she successfully defended her women’s light flyweight trinket, routing Indonesia’s Endang Endang in the division finals by way of clear-cut unanimous decision, 5-0.

Her patented left hook and looping overhand right were the two vital pieces in copping her fifth straight SEA Games gold medal, clobbering those two blows whenever she wanted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 72  Next