Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 pm 
Cruiserweight

Instead of Manny defending his 147 lbs. Welterweight title, he should go for Bradley's 140 lbs. Junior Welterweight title so he would be a LEGITIMATE 7-division champion recognized by the whole world in case he wins. Sky Sports would now call him seven-weight champion instead of six.

By the way, Manny is an eight-division champion with the addition of two (2) The Ring magazine titles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 pm 
Cruiserweight

Doubt it, he has to drop down to 140lbs and if Im not mistaken he cant get a belt through catchweight above 140 because its no longer in the Jr. Welterweight zone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:35 pm 
Cruiserweight

elks wrote:
Doubt it, he has to drop down to 140lbs and if Im not mistaken he cant get a belt through catchweight above 140 because its no longer in the Jr. Welterweight zone.

there is no problem for manny going down to 140 lbs.
in fact, that's his natural weight as far as i know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:40 pm 
Cruiserweight

ya that would be better.. i been trying to tell everyone that also..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 am 
Cruiserweight

heard it's already official.
my only question is, what title are they fighting for?
is it for the 147 lbs. welterweight belt of pacquiao or the 140 lbs. junior welterweight/super lightweight of bradley?

as i said, i hope manny will go for bradley's junior welterweight title instead of defending his own belt (welterweight title).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 am 
Heavyweight

forget about this alphabet belts, most of the organizations are corrupt anyway.

take the case of that 140lbs belt. malignaggi was the current IBF champ when hatton defeated him. so hatton was crowned as the new IBF champ.

he was ordered to face the no. 1 ranked challenger (can't remember if it was N'dou or Ngoudjo) but opted to face manny pacquiao. hatton was subsequently stripped off the title. he at that time is also the IBO jr. welterwt champ and the ring magazine/lineal jr welterwt champ.

manny won against hatton by knock out thus claiming the ibo and ring/lineal title. so what is better now the lineal title or the ibf (which in essence should have been on the line anyway)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:05 am 
Heavyweight

would have been more legit if pac fights for 140..

but if you are the star, it does not work that way...

besides, bradley's head alone weighs 7 lbs.. so that is not a problem :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 am 
Heavyweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Instead of Manny defending his 147 lbs. Welterweight title, he should go for Bradley's 140 lbs. Junior Welterweight title so he would be a LEGITIMATE 7-division champion recognized by the whole world in case he wins. Sky Sports would now call him seven-weight champion instead of six.

By the way, Manny is an eight-division champion with the addition of two (2) The Ring magazine titles.

Manny should not have any problem knocking down (or out) by targeting that big dome of Bradley.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am 
Heavyweight

I also think he can fight him at 140lbs because he is faster when fit and trim.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:22 am 
Light Heavyweight

If it's catchweight (which in reality won't be true), then it should be for both the light welterweight and the welterweight belt :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 am 
Welterweight

DIdn't Manny already beat Hatton at 140lbs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 am 
Cruiserweight

Thunder_knuckles wrote:

exactly.

fighting at 140 lbs. is like hitting two birds with one stone.
1. he's faster at junior welterweight level... hatton, anyone?
2. official 140 lbs. super lightweight/junior welterweight title would mean he would be a legitimate seven-division champion.

and another one... not really a factor but i just realized it today:

3. if ever manny and floyd fight later this year, they can go between 140 lbs. and 154 lbs., i.e. 147 lbs. (welterweight), instead of manny going up to 154 lbs. to challenge mayweather's title (light middleweight belt) if ever cotto will lose to floyd. as you can see, manny can insist that he can't go higher 147 lbs. since he just came from a 140 lbs. bout and doing so would put him in a disadvantageous position.

makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 am 
Heavyweight

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Thunder_knuckles wrote:

exactly.

fighting at 140 lbs. is like hitting two birds with one stone.
2. official 140 lbs. super lightweight/junior welterweight title would mean he would be a legitimate seven-division champion.

and another one... not really a factor but i just realized it today:

3. if ever manny and floyd fight later this year, they can go between 140 lbs. and 154 lbs., i.e. 147 lbs. (welterweight), instead of manny going up to 154 lbs. to challenge mayweather's title (light middleweight belt) if ever cotto will lose to floyd. as you can see, manny can insist that he can't go higher 147 lbs. since he just came from a 140 lbs. bout and doing so would put him in a disadvantageous position.

makes sense to me.

sorry if i have to disagree with you.

that's debatable. manny was fast against cotto, clottey, margarito and mosley! i think that's obvious otherwise it would have not been one sided fights.

only for those who value more the alphabet belts than the ring/lineal belt. the basic differences?

alphabet belts collects sanctioning fee, lineal/ring belts don't.

alphabet belts strips fighters of belts if they want to, lineal/ring don't.

alphabet belts can create interim champs, super champs, oriental/pacific champs, silver/diamond champs, the lineal/ring don't.

lastly most boxing writers, experts, fans, and websites recognizes manny as an 8 division champ. that's all that matters.

enough of floyd. we can not buy everything that he says and give in to every demand he wants. if he can not fight pacman at 147lbs with 50-50 purse split then so be it. pacman doesn't need him for his legacy.

mayweather needs pacman more than pacman needs him!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:53 am 
Cruiserweight

if pac will go down to 140 for bradley, haters will hate more for manny's refusal to fight marquez at 140 last time. let manny fight at 147 for the rest of his career. its where he's comfortable at.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 pm 
Cruiserweight

walang mawawala kung 140 lbs. belt ang susungkitin ni pacquiao dahil kapag sa 147 lbs. siya lalaban, wala namang lineal title (The Ring magazine title to be exact) na nakataya dito. just like i told you guys, in the eyes of many people around the world, pacquiao is only a six-division world champion. by going for bradley's junior welterweight belt, and in case he wins, he will be a LEGITIMATE seven-division world champion. i repeat, wala namang mawawala kung sa junior welterweight sila maglalaban, bagkus, magkakaroon pa siya ng bagong belt.