Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Royce Gracie II wrote:
magbubukid wrote:
I don't know the answer to your question, TS. But I will just share my 2-cents=)

If I remember right, a Catholic bishop friend of Pacquiao has long asked the him to stop boxing as this "sport" goes against basic Christian precepts of loving one's neighbor... or something to that effect.

In contrast, I heard this pastor Jeric(?) Soriano during an interview say that he sees no problem with boxing.

As for Manny not attending the Mass anymore, not wearing the Rosary or making the sign of the cross... this is not at all surprising. For the very first things born-again proselytizers attack are the authority of the Catholic Church (CC), the holiness of the Mass, the official teachings of the CC, and clerical scandal and abuse.

They will present you with a cleverly crafted question and answer leaflet, showing how the CC is an apostate by citing biblical passages. This will in turn make you feel astute, knowledgeable, and inspired to go out there and preach how Catholics are unbiblical and damned- because there clearly stated in their tracts and leaflets are biblical proofs of the Catholics' errant ways. Then they will discuss these things with you at length. It will leave you a feeling of superiority that is so seductive and strong. The next thing you will be tempted to do is tear apart your rosary, smash your saints' statues, and tell your family that the Mass is a blasphemy.

I propose that unless you go out of your way to investigate the defense of the CC using its official teachings, from reliable sources, you're likely to become a born-again proselyte.

I wish Manny all the best.... Peace!

It seems that Manny needs a priest to explain the Catholic faith for him.

could this be the reading material shown to manny?
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20 ... a_list.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
Light Heavyweight

It seems to me that Manny's penchant for reading the Bible while he was still a Catholic led him to discover that some Catholic practices have no biblical basis and has led to his conversion to Born Again Christian. Born Again Christians like most Christian minorities frequently read and study the Bible (unlike Catholics who rely on traditional faith) and this strengthens their faith. Catholics don't like it when Born Again Christians, et al, point out questionable practices in their religion. I think this is the reason why this thread is created. Catholics just can't accept that Manny Pacquiao is no longer a Catholic. And that happened because he read and studied the Bible. Pastors can only do so much if their teachings are weak people will not convert. There must be something to Born Again religion and other Christian minorities that threaten the Catholic religion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:13 am 
Welterweight

It's more of a test of character than it is a test of faith.

In sports, God ought to be taken out of the equation. Ultimately, it all comes down to how well an athlete prepares and how much dedication he invests on his sport.

Whether we accept it or not, Manny has gotten discreetly arrogant since 2010. He's taken shortcuts in training particularly in the strength and conditioning department, he hasn't been totally focused in training, and he hasn't been listening to his corner. The effects of negligence builds up over time. Finally it caught up to our beloved champion and he paid dearly for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:23 am 
Heavyweight

koala wrote:

In sports, God ought to be taken out of the equation. Ultimately, it all comes down to how well an athlete prepares and how much dedication he invests on his sport.

Whether we accept it or not, Manny has gotten discreetly arrogant since 2010. He's taken shortcuts in training particularly in the strength and conditioning department, he hasn't been totally focused in training, and he hasn't been listening to his corner. The effects of negligence builds up over time. Finally it caught up to our beloved champion and he paid dearly for it.

living in his comfort zone, if i were to make it short.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 am 
Welterweight

dominic wrote:
koala wrote:

living in his comfort zone, if i were to make it short.

Exactly, bro.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 am 
Lightweight

coyadev wrote:
It seems to me that Manny's penchant for reading the Bible while he was still a Catholic led him to discover that some Catholic practices have no biblical basis and has led to his conversion to Born Again Christian. Born Again Christians like most Christian minorities frequently read and study the Bible (unlike Catholics who rely on traditional faith) and this strengthens their faith. Catholics don't like it when Born Again Christians, et al, point out questionable practices in their religion. I think this is the reason why this thread is created. Catholics just can't accept that Manny Pacquiao is no longer a Catholic. And that happened because he read and studied the Bible. Pastors can only do so much if their teachings are weak people will not convert. There must be something to Born Again religion and other Christian minorities that threaten the Catholic religion.

No denying that Catholics are dismayed of the turn around by Manny from the faith which supported him for most of his life. However, very few knew the meaning of Catholicism, not even majority of the Catholics. I agree with your assessment that most Catholics follow the tradition taught to them by either their parents, school, or the sermon in the Mass. Catholics who instilled in their hearts the true faith is admirable. For scholars who have knowledge of the foundation of the Church are more supportive of the Church because they knew how it was and why it was founded. We have look back not only the scriptures but also the historical facts. Some of the acts of the apostles and disciples were not even recorded but were traditionally instilled in the formation of the Church.

I know one thing about the Catholicism. Catholicism is not only about reading the scriptures but obedience and becoming holy as much as possible though may be impossible for humans, to God everything is possible. Catholics should refrain from mocking other faith, unlike other faiths that mocked the Church for the motives of their leaders. We defend the faith and we will defend it with all truth based on the oneness of our teachings, not from someone but from the source that were present when Jesus was alive. If someone wants to behave in manner contrary to the Church, then we will respect. Like Manny, I know for sure that he used his own knowledge to make his own decision. Does he know the Church well enough, that I don't know. He can always ask a priest or apologists to know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:04 am 
Heavyweight

Its really a test for the Born Against. 2-0 na ang score.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:10 am 
Featherweight

I think it's a combination of miscalculation, carelessness and lack of focus in the part of Manny why he got hit by that perfectly timed counter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 am 
Heavyweight

Art Garcia wrote:

0-2, you mean. :shock:
Langya Gary V. Kulang pa yata daw ang bigay ni Pac na "blessings." :shock: :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:28 am 
Cruiserweight

Based on the above posts, I believe staying as a Catholic is a test of courage on the faith. People change religion for every reason as possible as they see fit and Manny is no exception.
What I cannot decipher is what he found wrong on the Catholic faith that he could substitute for bible preachers. Was he not famous, rich and successful before the change? So what could be the reason? Either MP was convinced that his former religion is not good enough for him to be in the Paradise or he just needs to really find the true path to Paradise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:51 am 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Art Garcia wrote:

0-2, you mean. :shock:
Langya Gary V. Kulang pa yata daw ang bigay ni Pac na "blessings." :shock: :?

Yes, 0-2 Bro Joey, I was too focused on the loss.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 am 
Cruiserweight

Royce Gracie II wrote:
Based on the above posts, I believe staying as a Catholic is a test of courage on the faith. People change religion for every reason as possible as they see fit and Manny is no exception.
What I cannot decipher is what he found wrong on the Catholic faith that he could substitute for bible preachers. Was he not famous, rich and successful before the change? So what could be the reason? Either MP was convinced that his former religion is not good enough for him to be in the Paradise or he just needs to really find the true path to Paradise.

It's because these pastors stroke his ego and kiss his butt, and tell him the things he wants to hear. There is over 30 thousand different christian denominations, their is only one Catholic church that has stood the test of time and many are trying to break it but haven't. Remember they say there will be those trying to divide the one true church, this is what these born agains and evangelists are doing, they are false pastors who use religion to live lavish from donations of those who look for them for help.

Manny is easily manipulated. He was swayed by the preacher because born agains love to pick and choose verses in the bible to bash the catholic church, the preacher told Manny you will go to hell if you do not become a born again, that the catholic church worships Mary and saints, and that they are the anti christ and that in the bible it says faith alone and not works.

But in the bible faith without works is dead, and as far as praying to saints, that is nothing, because catholics DO NOT WORSHIP them and they know the difference between God and a saint or a human.

Born Agains always ask others please include me in your prayers, well is that praying to humans or false idols? that is what Catholics do they ask Mary to pray for them when they say the hail mary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 am 
Middleweight

God's test of faith for Pacfans :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 am 
Heavyweight

Royce Gracie II wrote:

IMO, the born again christians may have been so convincing to manny because they have a pastor or pastors to do the task of preaching on a one-on-one basis. perhaps the catholic priest/priests that manny used to listen to were not as convincing during their bible studies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:41 pm 
Cruiserweight

When Manny Pacquiao started his boxing career, he was a lonely boy, alone in the loud noises of Metro Manila.
But this poor boy from General Santos city found solace in a nearby church where he always prayed.
Manny Pacquiao was a devout Catholic and a God -fearing person at his young age.
Like King David in the old testament, Manny Pacquiao was destined for greatness.

Manny Pacquiao has found favor from God and so his prayers have been answered.
God answered Pacquiao's prayer way more than he could imagine.
Manny Pacquiao has become one of the richest athlete in the Philippines, if not the richest.
Manny Pacquiao has become boxing's pound for pound king for so many years.

I personally, have never imagine, even in my wildest dream , that a small Filipino could rule the boxing world.
It's seems like I was living in a dream everytime Manny Pacquiao conquer yet another oponent
thereby maintaing his number one position in the boxing world. I always pray to God and thank Him
for the victories that He has provided to our Philippine hero, our Pambansang Kamao.

I have seen how Manny Pacquiao helped the poor in his home town. He also built a huge Catholic church
in his place where his people can praise God. Manny Pacquiao seem so invinsible that even oponent that
are way bigger than him could never hurt. I firmly believe that Manny Pacquiao's strength comes from God.
The Holy Rosary that he wears everytime he fights protects him from danger.

The signing of the cross give Manny Pacquiao a rythm everytime he fights in the ring.
I have noticed many times before that everytime Pacquiao is hit by a solid punch, he makes the
sign of the cross and that punch would never affect him. I firmly believe that as long as Manny Pacquiao
wears that Holy Rosary, he will continue to become invincible in the ring until he retires.

But what I have noticed last December 8, Manny Pacquiao was no longer wearing the Holy Rosary.
Manny Pacquiao also abandoned the signing of the cross. I was really surprised why Manny Pacquiao
changed his original faith. The faith that has found him favor in God's eyes.
In this fight Manny Pacquiao has become so vulnerable. Every punch that his oponent threw hurt him

Marquez has been never known to be a one punch KO artist. And his punches has never hurt Manny Pacquiao
before in their last three fights. But how come, Marquez seems to hurt Pacquiao with every punches this time.
The answer can be explain in the power of the cross. Pacquiao does not believe in the power of the cross anymore
while Marquez still believes in it. Marquez was the one wearing the Holy Rosary on the day of the feast of Immaculate Conception. And although I am a very big Manny Pacquiao fan, I know that Marquez has found favor in God's eyes in that particular fight.

The most important question for me right now is that, why did Manny Pacquiao has changed his original faith- the Holy Catholic Church. These born again pastors have brainwashed Manny Pacquiao to join them. But where were these born again pastors when Manny Pacquiao was just starting with his boxing career? I bet even if they saw Pacquiao early in his career they won't be interested in asking him to join them because Pacquiao was not rich and famous then.

I firmly believe that the reason why these born again Pastors are swarmimg around Pacquiao right now is because of his fame and money. Father Marlon, a Catholic priest, and Pacquiao's spiritual adviser before has never ask anything from Pacquiao. But these born again Partors are just after Manny Pacquiao's money. And I guarantee you, that when time comes
when Manny Pacquiao starts to fall and will no longer be rich and famous, these born again Pastors that are swarming around Pacquiao right now will start to distance away from him. And the Catholic church will once again welcome Manny Pacquiao with open arms just like when he first started his boxing career...

I hope and pray that Manny Pacquiao will come back to Catholic faith.
Because, as long as Manny Pacquiao will continue to deny the power of the Cross,
and will continue to refuse to wear the Holy Rosary, Pacquiao will continue to become vulnerable.
And even if it hurts me so much, I think Manny Pacquiao will suffer another knock out loss in his
next fight if he continue to abandon his original faith. The faith that has given him success for so many long years!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next