Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Does Marquez deserve the higher pay than Pacquiao in the 5th fight?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 51
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 am 
Heavyweight

Blazing Speed wrote:
thanks for the great inputs dudes...

at the end of the day, MONEY still rules!
let's see... i believe Arum is a big negotiator.
i see a higher slice up for the fifth fight anyway.

You're right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 am 
Heavyweight

Quote:
For a very simple reason Joey.
Manny is a proven PPV draw. Marquez is not.
That speaks a lot about their respective fanbase and popularity.
Manny was already a major PPV force when he fought Oscar.

Manny is still hugely popular since his knockout loss. Ever imagine Marquez pulling 1 million PPV buys or something close to it? I bet Manny still can even if he fights Guerrero or Bradley. I'll cut my testicles off faster than El Clitorish if Marquez can pull 300k fighting any of those guys. Did that stunning win earn him the confidence of the promoters that he is primed to headline a major PPV event? I don't think so.

Pac was not a major ppv draw when he fought Oscar.
Pac-Diaz did not sell 400k buys.
It was Pac's win over Oscar that doubled his popularity.
JMM is da man right now to the Mexicans.
He will command huge dollars if he fights Rios or Khan or Garcia .
He does not need Pac.
Pac needs him for redemption.
Who has more leverage?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:58 am 
Heavyweight

Hell no......we're not even sure if JMM was even clean during his training which raises alot of questions......so the answer is a "No way Jose" from me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 am 
Middleweight

If Marquez was paid a guaranteed of $6M + PPV in their last fight then he should get double on their next fight which is $12M + PPV since he KTFO Pac, a close purse split to 50-50. In the end it's Arum who'd dictate their guaranteed purse. Arum could always pull a plan B should Marquez plays hardball however, Pac and Arum would make more though if he'd fight Guerrero or Rios on a Mexican holiday, my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 am 
Middleweight

in order to make this 5th fight.. i think jmm should atleast get a little higher purse... if not you know .....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 am 
Cruiserweight

jmm cant sell tickets, unless he's fighting manny or floyd.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 am 
Heavyweight

I think the fight should be broadcast for free on some local channel.....no more PPV crap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 am 
Lightweight

Yes, JMM deserves it and Angel deserves 50% of whatever JMM is getting including PPV shares :bounce1:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 am 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:
For a very simple reason Joey.
Manny is a proven PPV draw. Marquez is not.
That speaks a lot about their respective fanbase and popularity.
Manny was already a major PPV force when he fought Oscar.

Manny is still hugely popular since his knockout loss. Ever imagine Marquez pulling 1 million PPV buys or something close to it? I bet Manny still can even if he fights Guerrero or Bradley. I'll cut my testicles off faster than El Clitorish if Marquez can pull 300k fighting any of those guys. Did that stunning win earn him the confidence of the promoters that he is primed to headline a major PPV event? I don't think so.

Pac was not a major ppv draw when he fought Oscar.
Pac-Diaz did not sell 400k buys.
It was Pac's win over Oscar that doubled his popularity.
JMM is da man right now to the Mexicans.
He will command huge dollars if he fights Rios or Khan or Garcia .
He does not need Pac.
Pac needs him for redemption.
Who has more leverage?

Establishing the biggest PPV numbers down the lower weights with Morales and Marquez, sure that doesn't make Pacquiao a bankable PPV attraction. In 7 years, Oscar didn't make 147 lbs. but he did go down for Manny. Hell, he wouldn't have done it with anyone else if the other guy was not well worth it. It was a clash of two major PPV fighters, outside of Mayweather, who happened to be both ultra popular and charismatic. Hence, "The Dream Match" title. Can u imagine another popular fighter who would fit "The Dream Match" title with Dela Hoya at that time? Pacquiao was making lots of money for Arum and he was a consistent PPV hit. Pacquiao made those numbers possible with crappy undercards. His rematch with Marquez was the highest grossing PPV match below the Light Welterweight division.

JMM is definitely the man of the hour but it's hard to translate that to PPV numbers. Before the fourth fight with manny, Marquez bored a few crowd with a certain fighter whose name u couldn't spell. Suddenly, he is an overnight sensation? In Mexico maybe but i see his marketing power to mainstream fans no different to Ron Tarver after upsetting Roy Jones. Fact is, marquez is not an established PPV attraction. Thus, he couldn't command more than his true worth. And his true worth will only be validated if he fights Manny. So u think he has the leverage? Manny is still under contract with Top Rank til 2014. He's gonna fight anyway with or without Marquez. Arum and Pacquiao had already given Marquez the cold shoulders in the past when he priced himself too high in their proposed immediate rematch. Who struck gold after that? Manny made a killing with Morales while Marquez had to travel to Indonesia. Manny could still earn 15 to 20 million dollars fighting Rios or Bradley. How much do u think Marquez is gonna get fighting Guerrero? Who's the promoter brave and stupid enough to put that crap on PPV and guarantee Marquez 10 million? Remember, the promoter is on manny's side. They still call the shots, not Marquez. if Marquez insists he deserves the higher pay, then, Arum will just tell him to fight another man on PPV and see if he measures up to Manny's PPV clout.

Naturally, we would say that the only road to redemption is Marquez. But Duran showed us, after getting knocked out cold by Hearns, that the road to the top could also be someone else. In the end, Duran is still regarded with a better legacy than Hearns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:48 am 
Cruiserweight

asteroid_punch wrote:
theDon wrote:
Blazing Speed wrote:
Pacquiao and Marquez has a great matchup...
I don't think Marquez can do it with a young lion like Danny Garcia, batting average is very low for him imho...
he'll be ko cold like what he did to packy.

You have to put it in Marquez's perspective. The Pacquiao knockout is the most important highlight of his career. He has always claimed that he won their first three fights, and the fourth fight validated that in a stunning fashion. Definitely a fairy tale ending to the saga, in Marquez's perspective of course.

In Marquez's mind, "Why risk a fourth fight if I have won all four fights and got the knockout in the last fight."

He can still earn good money against Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, and Brandon Rios---all beatable opponents.

Correct! If JMM doesn't want the 5th fight anymore, Team Pacquiao will become a cry baby by spreading the word lucky punch, JMM asking for too much pay, JMM is scared etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If JMM doesn't want the 5th fight anymore then JMM already decided to call the retirement he cannot draw people to watch him, the media doesn't even bother to mention his name to be in the fighter of the year, knockout of the year, and fight of the year. His name is tainted because of association with his guardian angel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:04 pm 
Middleweight

Consider it retirement money deserved by Marquez at 55/45 Marquez. I just don't want him to Coward OUT! Or else he will say "I love my wife more" if the money is not greater than Pacquiao's pay.

Been there, Done that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 pm 
Cruiserweight

jogar84 wrote:
still cant believe some people here keep mentioning that Pac was ahead on the scorecards. Who gives a sh*t??? no offense, but he got knocked the F out !!!!

ahead on the score cards after 5 rounds = meaningless in boxing

better to shout your mouth you are showing everybody how ignorant you are about boxing. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:15 pm 
Light Heavyweight

finished business is in Pac's Tee..that said it all :mrgreen:

CATCHY IT AINT ???

Our universe is one of the Billion universes out there.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny still has the commanding power to draw. His next bout would sell even without JMM. People will be interested on how Manny will rise as what he has stated during an interview. :hat:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 pm 
Heavyweight

There was no rematch vs Rustico T. so why would Marquez KO win be any different? The 4th fight altho it was a good fight will just go down to his record as another fight and someone prepared better and stronger with the help of an admitted drugs peddler. PacMan should just let it go and go for his old belt or IBF belt a bit later. Marquez is rich now courtesy of Packy. Let the other boxers take home some money fighting him.

I am not sure why PacMan gave Marquez his 3rd fight and 4th fight. Unfinished business, they should have stopped there. Marquez is always disrespectful to him. He gave marquez a chance to gloat and stain his record unneccesarily. So it was a bad idea to get the pee drinker rich for all the things he said in past. PacMan advisers are all morons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next