Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Does Marquez deserve the higher pay than Pacquiao in the 5th fight?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 51
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:35 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Thunder_knuckles wrote:
There was no rematch vs Rustico T. so why would Marquez KO win be any different? The 4th fight altho it was a good fight will just go down to his record as another fight and someone prepared better and stronger with the help of an admitted drugs peddler. PacMan should just let it go and go for his old belt or IBF belt a bit later. Marquez is rich now courtesy of Packy. Let the other boxers take home some money fighting him.

I am not sure why PacMan gave Marquez his 3rd fight and 4th fight. Unfinished business, they should have stopped there. Marquez is always disrespectful to him. He gave marquez a chance to gloat and stain his record unneccesarily. So it was a bad idea to get the pee drinker rich for all the things he said in past. PacMan advisers are all morons.

+10

CATCHY IT AINT ???

Our universe is one of the Billion universes out there.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:05 pm 
Welterweight

I'm not sure if I am right here but wasn't JMM guaranteed 5M in PAC-JMM3. Then a 10M if JMM won the 3rd fight for a PAC-JMM4?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 pm 
Lightweight

I don't think so.
Off topic:
Giving away 10 pesos smart load post your number first reply gets it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:34 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Thunder_knuckles wrote:
There was no rematch vs Rustico T. so why would Marquez KO win be any different? The 4th fight altho it was a good fight will just go down to his record as another fight and someone prepared better and stronger with the help of an admitted drugs peddler. PacMan should just let it go and go for his old belt or IBF belt a bit later. Marquez is rich now courtesy of Packy. Let the other boxers take home some money fighting him.

I am not sure why PacMan gave Marquez his 3rd fight and 4th fight. Unfinished business, they should have stopped there. Marquez is always disrespectful to him. He gave marquez a chance to gloat and stain his record unneccesarily. So it was a bad idea to get the pee drinker rich for all the things he said in past. PacMan advisers are all morons.

Pacman ultimately decides who he fights maybe the reason he agreed to fight jmm many times maybe because he wasnt convinced that he won and wanted to convince himself and boxing fans ( take note boxing fans not only pacman fans or pactards) that he deserved the victories , or if arum was the one that decided to have the fights because he knew jmm also drew a lot of fans remember arum knows how to make $$$ . pacman also made $$$ from fighting jmm he probably made more money off paying mexican fans rather than el cheapo pactards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:47 pm 
Middleweight

Lildevalt wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:
For a very simple reason Joey.
Manny is a proven PPV draw. Marquez is not.
That speaks a lot about their respective fanbase and popularity.
Manny was already a major PPV force when he fought Oscar.

Manny is still hugely popular since his knockout loss. Ever imagine Marquez pulling 1 million PPV buys or something close to it? I bet Manny still can even if he fights Guerrero or Bradley. I'll cut my testicles off faster than El Clitorish if Marquez can pull 300k fighting any of those guys. Did that stunning win earn him the confidence of the promoters that he is primed to headline a major PPV event? I don't think so.

Pac was not a major ppv draw when he fought Oscar.
Pac-Diaz did not sell 400k buys.
It was Pac's win over Oscar that doubled his popularity.
JMM is da man right now to the Mexicans.
He will command huge dollars if he fights Rios or Khan or Garcia .
He does not need Pac.
Pac needs him for redemption.
Who has more leverage?

Establishing the biggest PPV numbers down the lower weights with Morales and Marquez, sure that doesn't make Pacquiao a bankable PPV attraction. In 7 years, Oscar didn't make 147 lbs. but he did go down for Manny. Hell, he wouldn't have done it with anyone else if the other guy was not well worth it. It was a clash of two major PPV fighters, outside of Mayweather, who happened to be both ultra popular and charismatic. Hence, "The Dream Match" title. Can u imagine another popular fighter who would fit "The Dream Match" title with Dela Hoya at that time? Pacquiao was making lots of money for Arum and he was a consistent PPV hit. Pacquiao made those numbers possible with crappy undercards. His rematch with Marquez was the highest grossing PPV match below the Light Welterweight division.

JMM is definitely the man of the hour but it's hard to translate that to PPV numbers. Before the fourth fight with manny, Marquez bored a few crowd with a certain fighter whose name u couldn't spell. Suddenly, he is an overnight sensation? In Mexico maybe but i see his marketing power to mainstream fans no different to Ron Tarver after upsetting Roy Jones. Fact is, marquez is not an established PPV attraction. Thus, he couldn't command more than his true worth. And his true worth will only be validated if he fights Manny. So u think he has the leverage? Manny is still under contract with Top Rank til 2014. He's gonna fight anyway with or without Marquez. Arum and Pacquiao had already given Marquez the cold shoulders in the past when he priced himself too high in their proposed immediate rematch. Who struck gold after that? Manny made a killing with Morales while Marquez had to travel to Indonesia. Manny could still earn 15 to 20 million dollars fighting Rios or Bradley. How much do u think Marquez is gonna get fighting Guerrero? Who's the promoter brave and stupid enough to put that crap on PPV and guarantee Marquez 10 million? Remember, the promoter is on manny's side. They still call the shots, not Marquez. if Marquez insists he deserves the higher pay, then, Arum will just tell him to fight another man on PPV and see if he measures up to Manny's PPV clout.

Naturally, we would say that the only road to redemption is Marquez. But Duran showed us, after getting knocked out cold by Hearns, that the road to the top could also be someone else. In the end, Duran is still regarded with a better legacy than Hearns.

That's hitting the nail right in the head....

Here's another simple way to explain WHY MARQUEZ DOES NOT DESERVE / WILL NOT GET HIGHER PAY THAN PACQUIAO:

Pacquiao Vs Maytheather > JMM vs Mayweather part 2
Pacquiao Vs Bradley 2 > JMM vs Bradley
Pacquiao Vs Rios > JMM vs Rios
Pacquiao Vs Garcia > JMM vs Garcia
Pacquiao Vs other 140-147 contender > JMM vs other 140 -147 contender

In short, anyone you put in front of Pacquiao is a guaranteed PPV bout with 8digit purse for Manny. While in Marquez's case, the only big fight that he can get is a far fetched rematch with Floyd. Everyone else he fights, he's not gonna generate close to the 6mil he got fighting Pacquiao.

If Marquez was 29 instead of 39 when he scored that sensational KO against a fighter like Pacquiao, then he has time to build on that career defining win and translate it to more recognition and more fan interest. But he will be 40! Realistically, can he have two more years of this kind of peak performance knocking and dominating fighters in the 140-147 divisions without courting suspicions on him and his S&C coach Heredia?

That is why I said on an earlier post that Marquez will never get a bigger purse than Manny, head to head or fighting other boxers. Not in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 pm 
Light Heavyweight

i think pac jmm 5 will not happen, 1 reason is marquez will ask for more than manny can give him...marquez will price himself out

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 am 
Featherweight

Pacman is still the draw but Marquez will surely demand higher purse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 am 
Heavyweight

The Mexicans are paying to see PacMan be defeated by any Mexican with good fight records.

rickb888 wrote:
Pacman ultimately decides who he fights maybe the reason he agreed to fight jmm many times maybe because he wasnt convinced that he won and wanted to convince himself and boxing fans ( take note boxing fans not only pacman fans or pactards) that he deserved the victories , or if arum was the one that decided to have the fights because he knew jmm also drew a lot of fans remember arum knows how to make $$$ . pacman also made $$$ from fighting jmm he probably made more money off paying mexican fans rather than el cheapo pactards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:28 am 
Lightweight

Experia wrote:
it was the mexicans who filled the MGM grand not the filipinos..
mexicans were the one who bought those pay per view..
while pactards were busy looking on the internet for free live streaming .. :mrgreen:
i say 90/10 in favor of marquez..

Yeah they filled the MGM cause a Mexican fighter is fighting Manny Pacquiao who is known to be the "Mexicutioner",
lets see if he can pack MGM again with a different opponent like Bradley.
If he can, then he deserves a higher pay than Manny.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:48 am 
Cruiserweight

imo, in reality... with that feat... he deserves to be double or triple his pay, and not necessarily bigger than Pacquiao.
and please take note of this, he's not gonna get that for fighting other fighter... who's still boss? imho.

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 am 
Cruiserweight

Whatever it takes to make the fight happens... Lesser ppv and lesser purse is ok...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 am 
Light Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:
For a very simple reason Joey.
Manny is a proven PPV draw. Marquez is not.
That speaks a lot about their respective fanbase and popularity.
Manny was already a major PPV force when he fought Oscar.

Manny is still hugely popular since his knockout loss. Ever imagine Marquez pulling 1 million PPV buys or something close to it? I bet Manny still can even if he fights Guerrero or Bradley. I'll cut my testicles off faster than El Clitorish if Marquez can pull 300k fighting any of those guys. Did that stunning win earn him the confidence of the promoters that he is primed to headline a major PPV event? I don't think so.

Pac was not a major ppv draw when he fought Oscar.
Pac-Diaz did not sell 400k buys.
It was Pac's win over Oscar that doubled his popularity.
JMM is da man right now to the Mexicans.
He will command huge dollars if he fights Rios or Khan or Garcia .
He does not need Pac.
Pac needs him for redemption.
Who has more leverage?

Establishing the biggest PPV numbers down the lower weights with Morales and Marquez, sure that doesn't make Pacquiao a bankable PPV attraction. In 7 years, Oscar didn't make 147 lbs. but he did go down for Manny. Hell, he wouldn't have done it with anyone else if the other guy was not well worth it. It was a clash of two major PPV fighters, outside of Mayweather, who happened to be both ultra popular and charismatic. Hence, "The Dream Match" title. Can u imagine another popular fighter who would fit "The Dream Match" title with Dela Hoya at that time? Pacquiao was making lots of money for Arum and he was a consistent PPV hit. Pacquiao made those numbers possible with crappy undercards. His rematch with Marquez was the highest grossing PPV match below the Light Welterweight division.

JMM is definitely the man of the hour but it's hard to translate that to PPV numbers. Before the fourth fight with manny, Marquez bored a few crowd with a certain fighter whose name u couldn't spell. Suddenly, he is an overnight sensation? In Mexico maybe but i see his marketing power to mainstream fans no different to Ron Tarver after upsetting Roy Jones. Fact is, marquez is not an established PPV attraction. Thus, he couldn't command more than his true worth. And his true worth will only be validated if he fights Manny. So u think he has the leverage? Manny is still under contract with Top Rank til 2014. He's gonna fight anyway with or without Marquez. Arum and Pacquiao had already given Marquez the cold shoulders in the past when he priced himself too high in their proposed immediate rematch. Who struck gold after that? Manny made a killing with Morales while Marquez had to travel to Indonesia. Manny could still earn 15 to 20 million dollars fighting Rios or Bradley. How much do u think Marquez is gonna get fighting Guerrero? Who's the promoter brave and stupid enough to put that crap on PPV and guarantee Marquez 10 million? Remember, the promoter is on manny's side. They still call the shots, not Marquez. if Marquez insists he deserves the higher pay, then, Arum will just tell him to fight another man on PPV and see if he measures up to Manny's PPV clout.

Naturally, we would say that the only road to redemption is Marquez. But Duran showed us, after getting knocked out cold by Hearns, that the road to the top could also be someone else. In the end, Duran is still regarded with a better legacy than Hearns.

An excellent rebuttal that is best attended to with silence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50 am 
Heavyweight

50/50

AXF ducked: Hamed, Morales, Harris, Tszyu, Margarito, Williams, Wright, Cintron, Pacquiao, Martinez, Trout, Golovkin, Lara, BOOKS