Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 am 
Lightweight

Op-Ed: Huge payday awaits Juan Manuel Marquez in 5th fight with Pacquiao
LIKE THIS ARTICLE19
Leo
By Leo Reyes
Dec 21, 2012 - 8 hours ago in Sports
Comments
0 15 2 0 Google +0
+
Mexican counter-puncher Juan Manuel Marquez is getting too much pressure from friends, relatives and fans, urging him to retire after beating his long-time foe Manny Pacquiao last December 8 in Las Vegas, Nev.
It appears Marquez is bent on pursuing his boxing career after figuring out how lucrative it would be for his next fight after his devastating KO win over Pacquiao.
On paper Marquez reportedly got $3 million for his December 8 fight while Pacquiao got $8.6 million based on the contract filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), according to ts executive director Keith Kizer
But the real money will come from their share of the proceeds of the pay-per-view (PPV) sales which could reach over $60 million ( PPV buys:1.15 Million @$59.95)
Summing it all up, Marquez could make about $10 million, likely the biggest in his entire boxing career while Pacquiao could make more than $25 million when everything are factored in.
Because of his most impressive performance over the Filipino boxing star, Marquez is expected to double his guaranteed price with an opportunity to cash in on record-breaking PPV for a possible fifth fight with Pacquiao.
Nowhere would Marquez generate this huge purse for a single fight outside of another lucrative clash with Pacquiao, possibly in September next year.
This situation seems to be putting Marquez into a terrible pressure both from his fans and most of all, from his wife Erika, who is opposing his plan for another round with Pacquiao.
“I’ve asked Juan to leave,” she says, according to Boxing Scene. “He is receiving offers to continue fighting, but all of the money in the world won’t buy you another life, and no money in the world will buy you another brain.”
“What I want is for him to retire,” continues Erika, “and to devote his time to enjoying his family. When Juan fights I suffer enough. In this fight it was no exception. I saw Pacquiao’s wife crying, desperate to climb into the ring. She feared the worst. I saw what she felt, and I reflected and understood her suffering. I felt her anguish when I saw that Pacquiao did not move and did not get up,” Erika added.
But Marquez seems to be determined to give Pacquiao one last shot before retiring for good.
If Marquez gets his wife's consent, it will be the biggest and most lucrative fight of his entire boxing career.
"When I make my decision , it will be final. I don't wan to be someone who retires and then comes right back. I am talking to my wife and trying to convince her (to let me fight once more)," Marquez said.
There is plenty of time for Marquez to decide on his career path. He also plans to seek a fifth world title before retiring.
"I wish my wife would give the green light (permission) to continue boxing and seek a fifth world title," said the 39-year-old Marquez. "I am trying to convince her."
Meanwhile Pacquiao has been slapped with a 120-day suspension from boxing to give him more time to recover from his most devastating loss to Marquez. Read more.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z2FjStqJCd

Of course he would convince his wife,its the convincing power of Benjamins..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:23 am 
Light Heavyweight

pacquiao does NOT have one of the 5th titles that marquez is seeking............ :? :?

his ONE LAST fight will be against one of the welterweight title holders............

pacquiao wont be able to fight until at least september...... so marquez will seek someone else............ pac is NOT available..........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:41 am 
Light Heavyweight

against the grain wrote:
pacquiao does NOT have one of the 5th titles that marquez is seeking............ :? :?

his ONE LAST fight will be against one of the welterweight title holders............

pacquiao wont be able to fight until at least september...... so marquez will seek someone else............ pac is NOT available..........

I agree. Pacquiao is not in Marquez radar anymore.

Pacquiao vs. JMM 5 will only be a dream for now.

Pacquiao will not get his revenge against JMM.

If Marquez decides to fight one more time, he can still get a big payday by fighting other marquee names out there.

Remember, like he said offers are coming to Marquez tempting him for one more big payday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 am 
Cruiserweight

MONEY speaks... :D
why all of a sudden he got a feelings of aversion fighting Packy?

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

its finished bisnez..... :mrgreen:
he's 40 by then.,,packy is d only one who can knock him out

CATCHY IT AINT ???

Our universe is one of the Billion universes out there.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 am 
Cruiserweight

Poor Marquez there is no other guy around except the Pacman, better to start practicing now because luck might not be there anymore. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 pm 
Heavyweight

JMM will retire. He'll never give Pac any chance of redemption in his own expense. He knows Pac was so close to finish him before that opportunity opens up for him to capitalize.

Only the Benjamins would sway him for a 5th dance and expect for ridiculous demands in his favor. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Welterweight

Pacquiao cant fight in Las Vegas til Sept but he can always fight in Dallas. I know Freddie wants him to fight in Sept also, but it's all Manny's decision.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Heavyweight

fight Bradley... for prestige. if he wins then by all means PacMan may want his belt back from him not from Bradley. If I will advise PacMan is to just let JMM go. Let him retire with one win against him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:33 pm 
Lightweight

against the grain wrote:

5th title is only his second option, who do you think he would fight in welterweight which would produce enough retirement pay besides pacquiao..Pacquiao was given only 90 days by NSAC, there are no words that he is NOT available til september so he can fight on April or May..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:38 pm 
Lightweight

jhon515 wrote:
against the grain wrote:

If Marquez decides to fight one more time, he can still get a big payday by fighting other marquee names out there.

Remember, like he said offers are coming to Marquez tempting him for one more big payday.

Only a fight with pacquiao will generate millions for his retirement, Marquez is not an attraction when fighting anybody else, promoters are not stup!d to offer him millions on a fight nobody wanted to see.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

Kenchin Himura wrote:
jhon515 wrote:
against the grain wrote:

Only a fight with pacquiao will generate millions for his retirement, Marquez is not an attraction when fighting anybody else, promoters are not stup!d to offer him millions on a fight nobody wanted to see.

For all you know, Marquez may choose to temporarily inactive and wait for Donaire to bulk up to may be, 140. If he beats Donaire, then he could be crowned, "The Pinoy-cutioner" or "The Fil-minator." Ahh, that doesn't sound right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:51 pm 
Cruiserweight

Kenchin Himura wrote:
LIKE THIS ARTICLE19
Leo
By Leo Reyes
Comments
0 15 2 0 Google +0
+
Mexican counter-puncher Juan Manuel Marquez is getting too much pressure from friends, relatives and fans, urging him to retire after beating his long-time foe Manny Pacquiao last December 8 in Las Vegas, Nev.
It appears Marquez is bent on pursuing his boxing career after figuring out how lucrative it would be for his next fight after his devastating KO win over Pacquiao.
On paper Marquez reportedly got $3 million for his December 8 fight while Pacquiao got $8.6 million based on the contract filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), according to ts executive director Keith Kizer
But the real money will come from their share of the proceeds of the pay-per-view (PPV) sales which could reach over $60 million ( PPV buys:1.15 Million @$59.95)
Summing it all up, Marquez could make about $10 million, likely the biggest in his entire boxing career while Pacquiao could make more than $25 million when everything are factored in.
Because of his most impressive performance over the Filipino boxing star, Marquez is expected to double his guaranteed price with an opportunity to cash in on record-breaking PPV for a possible fifth fight with Pacquiao.
Nowhere would Marquez generate this huge purse for a single fight outside of another lucrative clash with Pacquiao, possibly in September next year.
This situation seems to be putting Marquez into a terrible pressure both from his fans and most of all, from his wife Erika, who is opposing his plan for another round with Pacquiao.
“I’ve asked Juan to leave,” she says, according to Boxing Scene. “He is receiving offers to continue fighting, but all of the money in the world won’t buy you another life, and no money in the world will buy you another brain.”
“What I want is for him to retire,” continues Erika, “and to devote his time to enjoying his family. When Juan fights I suffer enough. In this fight it was no exception. I saw Pacquiao’s wife crying, desperate to climb into the ring. She feared the worst. I saw what she felt, and I reflected and understood her suffering. I felt her anguish when I saw that Pacquiao did not move and did not get up,” Erika added.
But Marquez seems to be determined to give Pacquiao one last shot before retiring for good.
If Marquez gets his wife's consent, it will be the biggest and most lucrative fight of his entire boxing career.
"When I make my decision , it will be final. I don't wan to be someone who retires and then comes right back. I am talking to my wife and trying to convince her (to let me fight once more)," Marquez said.
There is plenty of time for Marquez to decide on his career path. He also plans to seek a fifth world title before retiring.
"I wish my wife would give the green light (permission) to continue boxing and seek a fifth world title," said the 39-year-old Marquez. "I am trying to convince her."
Meanwhile Pacquiao has been slapped with a 120-day suspension from boxing to give him more time to recover from his most devastating loss to Marquez. Read more.

AGREE AKO DITO,

NG MAKATABLA

AT BUGBOG SARADO ANG MAGAWA

NI IDOL PAC KAY JMM 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:51 pm 
Cruiserweight

Kenchin Himura wrote:
LIKE THIS ARTICLE19
Leo
By Leo Reyes
Comments
0 15 2 0 Google +0
+

AGREE AKO DITO,

NG MAKATABLA

NI IDOL PAC KAY JMM 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 pm 
Lightweight

Sir Benjamin wrote:
Kenchin Himura wrote:
LIKE THIS ARTICLE19
Leo
By Leo Reyes
Comments
0 15 2 0 Google +0
+

AGREE AKO DITO,

NG MAKATABLA

NI IDOL PAC KAY JMM 8)

:D