Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:42 am 
Cruiserweight

Canelo Alvarez v. Trout won't be fighting as an undercard for Floyd's Cinco de Mayo, after all. Because Floyd's got no balls (surprise, surprise, surprise) to fight Canelo next, Canelo will be taking his own show to San Antonio, TX (Alamodome), 3 weeks earlier as a headliner for Showtime. Let's see how Floyd's "charisma" fare in the box office and PPVs on Cinco de Mayo. Notice that Canelo also outsmarted Floyd business wise. By staging his fight ahead of Floyd's, Mexicans will come in full force and spend their hard-earned $$$ for Canelo leaving Floyd with crumbs. Hats off to you, Canelo. See article to follow.

Floyd Mayweather is Afraid of Saul Alvarez
Posted on 2 Mar, 2013, by Morgan in Boxing

When Floyd Mayweather announced he’s planning on fighting twice in 2013, the initial projected opponents were Robert Guerrero, which happened as predicted, and a later fight in a higher weight against Saul Canelo Alvarez, which is probably the biggest boxing match PPV money can buy these days.

The problem for Mayweather is that Canelo is playing by his own rules. A golden boy promoting golden boy, Canelo still isn’t considered to be the kind of fighter who can seriously challenge the big boys on top of the pound-4-pound rankings, but he’s getting there in terms of popularity.

Everything going according to plan, Alvarez was supposed to fight Austin Trout, quite a difficult encounter, on the same card as Mayweather, somewhat as a co-headliner, because Canelo is too popular these days to be considered an undercard. Alvarez wanted to fight Trout, against the wishes of some of those close to him, because he feels that it’s the best way to get to Mayweahter. Alvarez wants a shot at the head honcho of boxing.

Canelo was willing to play along with Mayweather and Golden Boy putting him on the undercard as long as he knew he had a shot at Mayweather next, in September. But… Mayweather refused to sign a contractual agreement forcing him to face Canelo if both of them win their fights against Guerrero and Trout respectively. To that Alvarez couldn’t abide, and decided to ruin the opportunity for some to ask for $70 on the PPV mega fight night on May 4.

Mayweather has no word to support what he says. The contract was already within the terms and just was missing the signature. He said yes, but nothing happened at the end. Floyd never signed anything. But in spite of all that I am happy with my fight and my own date. This is what I wanted from the beginning.

I have no need for Mayweather to impose conditions because I can have my own fans, my own event and my own history. I’m tired of being accessible to fight him, since he never was real in what he was talking. The truth is he does not want to fight me. I will continue doing my own history.

Alvarez will fight Trout on April 20 at the Alamodome in San Antonio and headline a Showtime-televised card. He doesn’t need Mayweather go promote a big night of fighting, but the question is why Mayweather refused to sign an agreement promising Alvarez a fight with him after they both win their next fights?

Just like Mayweather drew the life out of the Manny Pacquiao prospect, first by claiming he wants drug testing and then finding a money reason, fighting Alvarez before knowing how to beat him is too dangerous for Mayweather – he needs to find a weakness he can use, an advantage he has. Unlike most of the fighters Mayweather has taken on in quite a long time, Canelo isn’t someone on the way down. It’s the other way around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 am 
Light Heavyweight

8 in 8 wrote:
Canelo Alvarez v. Trout won't be fighting as an undercard for Floyd's Cinco de Mayo, after all. Because Floyd's got no balls (surprise, surprise, surprise) to fight Canelo next, Canelo will be taking his own show to San Antonio, TX (Alamodome), 3 weeks earlier as a headliner for Showtime. Let's see how Floyd's "charisma" fare in the box office and PPVs on Cinco de Mayo. Notice that Canelo also outsmarted Floyd business wise. By staging his fight ahead of Floyd's, Mexicans will come in full force and spend their hard-earned $$$ for Canelo leaving Floyd with crumbs. Hats off to you, Canelo. See article to follow.

When Floyd Mayweather announced he’s planning on fighting twice in 2013, the initial projected opponents were Robert Guerrero, which happened as predicted, and a later fight in a higher weight against Saul Canelo Alvarez, which is probably the biggest boxing match PPV money can buy these days.

The problem for Mayweather is that Canelo is playing by his own rules. A golden boy promoting golden boy, Canelo still isn’t considered to be the kind of fighter who can seriously challenge the big boys on top of the pound-4-pound rankings, but he’s getting there in terms of popularity.

Everything going according to plan, Alvarez was supposed to fight Austin Trout, quite a difficult encounter, on the same card as Mayweather, somewhat as a co-headliner, because Canelo is too popular these days to be considered an undercard. Alvarez wanted to fight Trout, against the wishes of some of those close to him, because he feels that it’s the best way to get to Mayweahter. Alvarez wants a shot at the head honcho of boxing.

Canelo was willing to play along with Mayweather and Golden Boy putting him on the undercard as long as he knew he had a shot at Mayweather next, in September. But… Mayweather refused to sign a contractual agreement forcing him to face Canelo if both of them win their fights against Guerrero and Trout respectively. To that Alvarez couldn’t abide, and decided to ruin the opportunity for some to ask for $70 on the PPV mega fight night on May 4.

Mayweather has no word to support what he says. The contract was already within the terms and just was missing the signature. He said yes, but nothing happened at the end. Floyd never signed anything. But in spite of all that I am happy with my fight and my own date. This is what I wanted from the beginning.

I have no need for Mayweather to impose conditions because I can have my own fans, my own event and my own history. I’m tired of being accessible to fight him, since he never was real in what he was talking. The truth is he does not want to fight me. I will continue doing my own history.

Alvarez will fight Trout on April 20 at the Alamodome in San Antonio and headline a Showtime-televised card. He doesn’t need Mayweather go promote a big night of fighting, but the question is why Mayweather refused to sign an agreement promising Alvarez a fight with him after they both win their next fights?

Just like Mayweather drew the life out of the Manny Pacquiao prospect, first by claiming he wants drug testing and then finding a money reason, fighting Alvarez before knowing how to beat him is too dangerous for Mayweather – he needs to find a weakness he can use, an advantage he has. Unlike most of the fighters Mayweather has taken on in quite a long time, Canelo isn’t someone on the way down. It’s the other way around.

Who else wanna test Floyd's Fear... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:27 am 
Welterweight

Great move alvareZ, shows he has balls bizness and boxing wise..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 am 
Light Heavyweight

8 in 8 wrote:

canelo HBO fighter that's why

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:40 am 
Light Heavyweight

nycsk8ter wrote:
8 in 8 wrote:

canelo HBO fighter that's why

READ Again...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 am 
Welterweight

Floyd is chicken sh!t. He will be lucky if he gets 600K PPV buys.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 am 
Featherweight

I smell postponement due to injury or accident...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 am 
Cruiserweight

Dela Hoya said Canelo wasn't ready for Floyd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:21 am 
Cruiserweight

salam wrote:
I smell postponement due to injury or accident...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I also think the same. I remember when he fought Marquez, it was postponed due to (fake) accident but the truth was the gate sales was poor. With the latest development, there is a good possibility that, AGAIN, he will postpone the date if he cannot find an undercard that will sell or otherwise his PPV will not reach a million by HIM AS ATTRACTION alone. He do not want the people to find out that Pacquiao has more PPV viewers than him. That will lower his marketability and negotiating power because he is not a PPV draw. The reason why his PPV rating is high because of GBP's promotional strategy. They are trying to help The Blackboyfloyd PPV rating higher than Pacquiao by having a good under cards to boost PPV sales so that they have leverage to negotiate with Arum. GBP is the one who created his PPV numbers. The Blackboyfloyd who always claimed the money man and his own boss, demands his purse excessively which GBP has to adjust the purses of the remaining fighters of their undercards. I think that is the reason why Alvarez does not want to be in his undercard. Probably his guaranteed purse the last time when he was in his undercard was way way low because the Blackboyfloyd SIPHONED most of the projected revenue of the event. With the latest development, GBP knew that Floyd/Pac is NO LONGER POSSIBLE to happen since he joined with Showtime. Boxing is business and the Blackboyfloyd just made a bad business decision to avoid PACMAN because of his COWARDLINESS. There is no way HBO and SHOWTIME will share the revenue if the fight ever happen. Therefore, GBP will no longer be interested to promote the Blackboyfloyd. It cost them money and their prizefighters would rather be in main event match of their own and make more money than to be an undercard of the Blackboyfloyd for less money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:28 am 
Light Heavyweight

Lifer wrote:

That was way way before he fought Mosley...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:35 am 
Cruiserweight

BaksingPan wrote:
Lifer wrote:

That was way way before he fought Mosley...

Not true. Larry Merchant asked Dela Hoya after the Cotto/Mayweather (Canelo/Mosley was the co-main event) fight if Canelo was next and Dela Hoya said he wasn't ready.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 am 
Cruiserweight

salam wrote: I smell postponement due to injury or accident...

Right on the money. What kind of injury do you think Floyd will tell the media?

Without Canelo fighting undercard (Guerrero is irrelevant), Floyd's lucky to get 500K PPV buys. Heads are gonna roll at CBS/Showtime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 am 
Cruiserweight

Floyduck wants to dictate other fighters as his EMPLOYEE, WTF!

wanted to sell perfection."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 am 
Heavyweight

8 in 8 wrote:
salam wrote: I smell postponement due to injury or accident...

Right on the money. What kind of injury do you think Floyd will tell the media?

Without Canelo fighting undercard (Guerrero is irrelevant), Floyd's lucky to get 500K PPV buys. Heads are gonna roll at CBS/Showtime.

A tear in his wallet, will get hm the postponement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:31 am 
Light Heavyweight

they put abner mares vs ponce de leon as co-main event. :D