Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:54 pm 
Lightweight

WBC RING OFFICIALS' SECGEN AGREES EDRIN DAPUDONG'S WOUNDS 'UNUSUAL"

PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2010

Veteran boxing referee Bruce Mctavish of New Zealand, the World Boxing Council (WBC) secretary general for ring officials, today said the wounds suffered by former WBC silver flyweight champion Edrin Dapudong of the Philippines shown in a video posted on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pSYPxDcdrY) and photos sent to him appeared "unusually deep" and could not have been caused by the gloves' lace or the ring ropes.

"They are unusual and looking at the video and the pictures, there's no way they could have been caused by the lace of the gloves or the ring ropes," Mctavish told Dapudong's manager, former North Cotabato governor Manny Pinol in an overseas phone conversation.

Mctavish, who has been delivering lectures for WBC ring officials during the annual convention for the last nine years, made the assessment after receiving the pictures and appreciating the video posted on YouTube.com.

He promised to take up the issue in the forthcoming WBC Annual Convention in Cancun, Mexico in November.

Dapudong, who clearly lost to challenger Wilbert Uicab of Mexico in 12 rounds, sustained the cuts during the fight Sept. 17 in Cancun. It was cutman Jeff de Gizman who first noticed the unusual cuts in Dapudong's right arm and shoulder during the fight. A deeper examination showed the injures included six deep laceratrions similar to wounds sustained from a sharp blade.

"I am not complaining against the result of the fight. The officials were fair and Edrin lost clearly. But I am raising this issue to prevent incidents like this from happening again," Pinol told Mctavish.

Pinol, who earlier wrote WBC Secretary General Mauricio Sulaiman officially through WBC International head Mauro Betti, made two recommendations to ensure the safety of the boxers which included 1) diligent and careful examination of all parts of the boxers' gloves to ensure that no sharp objects would be embedded in the lace and the diligent and careful "touching and inspection" of the ring ropes, especially the highest strand, by the referee.

Mctavish told Pinol that he appreciated the boxing manager's decision to come out in the open to expose the Cancun incident to ensure a safer conduct of boxing events.

The last controversy involving dirty tricks in boxing was the attempted use of the plaster of paris, which hardens like a rock which wet, by Antonio Margarito in a fight against Shane Mosley. Margarito was suspended by the California Boxing Commission following the discovery.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:56 pm 
Heavyweight

we been watching boxing for awhile we never see that kind of cuts. what could it be causing it? i hope they find out so that will never happen again.

Learning and progress comes from being open minded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:00 pm 
Heavyweight

twinkie79 wrote:
we been watching boxing for awhile we never see that kind of cuts. what could it be causing it? i hope they find out so that will never happen again.

yes, a thorough investigation should be done. this is worse than margarito's case!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:05 pm 
Heavyweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
twinkie79 wrote:

yes, a thorough investigation should be done. this is worse than margarito's case!

yup but bro margo's case is alot worse than this. he could kill shane on that one. but of course what happen to edrin could bliind him too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Problem is there was no medical examination immediately before the fight to establish a time frame on the wounds, or was there any? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 pm 
Heavyweight

imakaiw wrote:
Problem is there was no medical examination immediately before the fight to establish a time frame on the wounds, or was there any? :shock:

it would be pretty stupid for pinol to make that up. but you got a good thou.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:36 pm 
Heavyweight

The cuts could have affected Dapudong's performance, made him weak due to poisoning,
Uicab's gloves could have been modified by automatic blades when hitting anything,
This must be investigated,maybe next time a Mexican will use a grenade attachment to
his gloves to blow up the face of his opponent. :snoring: +++ :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 pm 
Heavyweight

i just rewatched the fight in slow motion, pinol is right, i saw 4 blades sticking out of uicab gloves, then retracting in a split second.... reminded me of wolverine from the x-men...

:biglaugh:

PACLAND: where pacquiao fans around the world congregate.

To talk about floyd! LMFAO!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:48 pm 
Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
i just rewatched the fight in slow motion, pinol is right, i saw 4 blades sticking out of uicab gloves, then retracting in a split second.... reminded me of wolverine from the x-men...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
Heavyweight

It's a irresponsible move by Pinol to raise this issue without even examining any evidence beforehand. He could have easily watch the replay of the fight over and over. Cause if the cuts or scratches happened during the fight, then those cuts should be present during the fight. He may get vindicated but his approach is unprofessional.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm 
Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:

'could be the bum version of wolverine :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:08 pm 
Cruiserweight

el critico wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:

'could be the bum version of wolverine :biglaugh:

That makes the fight a battle between bums. :lol: