Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Manny's punching power
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:09 pm 
Cruiserweight

Is it safe to say he's just fighting guys who are bigger than him so in turn they're taking his punches better? His last finish was against Cotto and that was the referee's decision. Hatton was the last guy he really stopped and that was at 140 lbs.

On a different note, this is why the steroid accusations don't carry weight based on the premise that he has carried his punching power from the lowest weight class. The truth is he overwhelms his opponents with superb speed, work rate, and accuracy with his punches.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:12 pm 
Cruiserweight

Well stated TS.....

Had Manny campaigned more at Lighweight and Jr Welter his KO total would be higher.....

He still has power to discourage Welters like RIOS from Trading with him but it is much harder for him to Knock those Bigger guys out.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:13 pm 
Cruiserweight

Lifer wrote:
Is it safe to say he's just fighting guys who are bigger than him so in turn they're taking his punches better? His last finish was against Cotto and that was the referee's decision. Hatton was the last guy he really stopped and that was at 140 lbs.

On a different note, this is why the steroid accusations don't carry weight based on the premise that he has carried his punching power from the lowest weight class. The truth is he overwhelms his opponents with superb speed, work rate, and accuracy with his punches.

Pacquiao is back. And for sure his P4P wiil be upped by two notches. Too... his winning will send shiver to Mayweather's nerves. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

3 more fight left for Cong Pac.

1. Bradley - possible
2. Jmm - Maybe possible
3. Floyd M. - hopefully possible

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Well, let's put it this way.
It's still good enough for the other guys to respect .
Rios said he didn't feel all that power.
Sure, how come you kept the ear muffs defense all night then?
His head will double in size by tomorrow.

Pac is not a murderous puncher. He's more of a grinder now. Like Hagler was .
Hagler did not knock people out with one shot .

I think Pac could have TKO'd Rios around the 8th round if he really wanted the KO.
But, Roach kept telling him to get out of the pocket as soon as he connects his one-two's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:24 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao's power i still there.. Failure to KO an opponent is not an indication of diminishing power.. Rios was used to bull-rush his opponents, but failed to do it against Pacquiao due to the fact that he has respected his opponents power.. If Pacquiao's power has diminished, Rios would possibly become aggressive after receiving Pac's punch in the earlier rounds, if those punches never affected him.. :hat:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Rios is a tough hombre, i think. tougher than cotto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Heavyweight

What is Rios fighting weight at fight time?! If he comes up heavier than expected, he had copied Margarito's weight of coming in at above middleweight on his fight against Pac.. the only difference is Rios has defended most of the times while Margarito pursued and ended up damaging his eye socket.. :hat:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:35 pm 
Light Heavyweight

marinduque wrote:
Pacquiao's power i still there.. Failure to KO an opponent is not an indication of diminishing power.. Rios was used to bull-rush his opponents, but failed to do it against Pacquiao due to the fact that he has respected his opponents power.. If Pacquiao's power has diminished, Rios would possibly become aggressive after receiving Pac's punch in the earlier rounds, if those punches never affected him.. :hat:

Good point. Btw Rios came in at 159, I think Marg came in at 160+ ish? You have to note that Pac came at 150, 10 pound difference and he can still punch. I like the mic to capture thundering sounds top rank has implemented int he ring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:37 pm 
Welterweight

Quote:
"Coming off two losses, he knows he has to be impressive, and being impressive is not winning by close decision, being impressive is winning by knockout. I don't feel Rios can go the distance with a guy with the talents of Manny Pacquiao. It's a world-class fighter going in against a guy who is a journeyman at best," Roach said.

No knockout = not impressive

This comes from Freddie Roach himself, who said Rios wouldn't last 4 rounds.

Last edited by Mr. P on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:37 pm 
Heavyweight

pinoypalakamongoloid wrote:
marinduque wrote:

Good point. Btw Rios came in at 159, I think Marg came in at 160+ ish? You have to note that Pac came at 150, 10 pound difference and he can still punch. I like the mic to capture thundering sounds top rank has implemented int he ring.

if it is true that pac came in at 150lbs. i think this is his heaviest so far? but despite that, he moved fast. he could be faster if he came in at 144lbs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:42 pm 
Welterweight

The development of his right hook decreased the ability and power of his left. Before he has a super left straight/hook but is one dimensional one hand fighter. Now he became a two hand fighter but has divided in half his power in left. A lethal left no more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:42 pm 
Cruiserweight

Pacman sees to it not to be overconfident or too aggressive. Rios was making it sure not to expose his face because he knows what will happen if he will fight like when he was fighting Alvarado.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:44 pm 
Cruiserweight

No I'm not saying his power has diminished. I'm saying he's punching bigger guys who can take his punches better. Power is the last to go as you age which is what makes Manny special. He showed to night that he can maintain although not regain his speed that he displayed at least a couple of years ago. You can say the same for Floyd.

That's interesting Joey. Pac was not really known a one-punch knockout artist. He caught some guys flush and put them out. He's more of a pressure type boxer who has power and can punch from different angles and is VERY accurate. I wonder what would've happened if Pac vs Rios happened at lightweight though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:47 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacmans body wasnt as thick as his last fight's. I think they prepared for quickness as seen in the fight not so much strengthening. His power punching performance depends on how he prepared for the fight. In the last Marquez fight they wanted a KO they were looking for it and they did prepare for it by bulking up and there was more 'diin' in the punches. Really intending to inflict serious damage.