Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:49 am 
Light Heavyweight

Manny could still improve –Roach

By Nick Giongco

AS FAR as Freddie Roach is concerned, Manny Pacquiao could still improve on a lot of things and become more dangerous, while such cannot be said of Mexican tactician Juan Manuel Marquez.

Roach is so eager to start on hooking up with Pacquiao for the rematch with Marquez that he wants the Filipino not to wait for the holidays to finish before packing his bags and heading back to the States.
"The Wild Card will be open on Christmas Day," said Roach during the victory party held at the 22nd floor of the Discovery Suites after Pacquiao’s one-punch destruction of Thailand’s Fahsan 3K Battery at The Fort in Taguig late Saturday night.
Talk has it that Pacquiao is flying to Los Angeles on Jan. 10, but Roach told The Bulletin during the victory party held at the 22nd floor of the posh Discovery Suites in Ortigas Center that "that’s late and I have asked Mr. (Rod) Nazario that I want Manny there earlier than Jan. 10."
HBO has penciled Feb. 26 as the date for the rematch. The Lawlor Events Center in Reno and the MGM Grand in Las Vegas are being eyed to host the fight.
"I want him (Pacquiao) there (in Los Angeles) after Christmas," said Roach, who sounded very pleased with the way Pacquiao took out Fahsan with one shot, a left uppercut that lifted the Thai’s feet off the ground in the fourth frame.
"The Thai fighter showed a lot of heart out there," said Roach. "I liked what I saw and he made good use of his right hand and I plan to develop that weapon for Marquez.
Roach, who flies back to Los Angeles at 10 tonight via PAL, admitted that Pacquiao leaned too much on his left hand during the Marquez fight and "failed to make the necessary adjustments."
"I don’t want him to rely too much on the left because Marquez is a smart fighter. So I want Manny to develop the right as well."
If Pacquiao reports back to training not later than Jan. 10, Roach said the GenSan southpaw should be able to contain Marquez.
"There is still a lot of room for improvement as far as Manny is concerned, but I don’t believe that’s the case with Marquez. That’s the best Marquez can do," said the 44-year-old Roach, pointing to that fight at the MGM Grand seven months ago that saw him (Marquez) get up the floor three times in the first round en route to a 12-round draw.
Pacquiao actually trained for only a little over three weeks for the Fahsan bout since Roach arrived in the country on Nov. 22. Before Roach came over, Pacquiao was taking his training lightly.
While Marquez too is going to have a break during the Christmas season, Roach said the difference with "Manny is that Marquez has been training for the rematch with Manny since November in the mountains of Mexico where the elevation is 15,000 feet."
"That’s the reason why I want Manny back as soon as possible because Marquez is already in the thick of his preparation and that high-altitude training surely makes wonders as proven by what we saw last May."Pacquiao has been guaranteed a purse of $900,000 for the rematch

dapat cguro jan 2 or dec 26 eh nasa california na si manny! mahirap nah! itong si JMM tumtakbo na sa bundok... talagang pinaghahandaan niya si manny... :smoke:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:52 am 

There's still a commitment to shoot a movie with Robin Padilla, is this true? :headache:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:06 pm 
Light Heavyweight

muay thai wrote:
There's still a commitment to shoot a movie with Robin Padilla, is this true? :headache:

hopefully not true! this will ruin his training!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:09 pm 
Bantamweight

Listen to Freddie Roach Manny and start training right away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:57 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Just as a comparison, Mt. Apo is 9,629 feet. Mt Haleakala in Maui is 10,000 ft. When you are at the peak, the air is very very thin. It is very hard to breath. This is what made JMM survive the 3 KD's from Manny. Most boxers would not have survived the onslaught.

Barrera trains in the mountains of Big Bear (elevvation 8,800 ft.). Manny need to train at least in Big Bear also and not in the smoggy air of LA.

Post subject: Exteme conditioning
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:15 pm 
Welterweight

I do not think 15K feet high training can prepare JMM's head for hit from Manny's right and left power shots. If a human head gets hit the way Manny's left uppercut or left hook to the side of the chin, the brain snaps some tissues that causes the KO. Conditioning has nothing to do with it. A few good power shots from Manny to JMM's head and JMM will go down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:16 pm 
Light Heavyweight

boxingfan wrote:
Just as a comparison, Mt. Apo is 9,629 feet. Mt Haleakala in Maui is 10,000 ft. When you are at the peak, the air is very very thin. It is very hard to breath. This is what made JMM survive the 3 KD's from Manny. Most boxers would not have survived the onslaught.

Barrera trains in the mountains of Big Bear (elevvation 8,800 ft.). Manny need to train at least in Big Bear also and not in the smoggy air of LA.

definitely right bro! manny should train in much higher mountains! meron bang mountains sa california na pwede mag train si manny??? nice info there bro...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:18 pm 
Welterweight

MANNY MAMUNDOK KA NA DIN! try claiming mt. apo or any mt. and camp there for a month. :D wel as silly as it may sound but i think its a good idea there no distractions up in the mt. no pool table( not unless he makes one out of trees) no beer (not unless he makes one out of tree sap!) no cigarette (not unless he rolls up his own tabaco leaves!) but most importantly no ABS-CBN to ruin and distract u from your training!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:38 pm 
Lightweight

ariel_afs wrote:
Manny could still improve –Roach

By Nick Giongco

Quote:
While Marquez too is going to have a break during the Christmas season, Roach said the difference with "Manny is that Marquez has been training for the rematch with Manny since November in the mountains of Mexico where the elevation is 15,000 feet."
"That’s the reason why I want Manny back as soon as possible because Marquez is already in the thick of his preparation and that high-altitude training surely makes wonders as proven by what we saw last May."Pacquiao has been guaranteed a purse of $900,000 for the rematch

There's a thruth and scientific explanation why JMM is training at higher elevation. At high altitude air (and therefore oxygen) is low. If you train in there you are accustomed of breathing air with low oxygen therefore allowing your lungs diaphragm muscles to be stronger because your craving for more oxygen. When you go back to the lower altitude (about sea level), where there's a lot of oxygen, your diaphragm muscles are too strong that you need very little effort to breath even if you are tired.

In short, ssuming that his fight with Manny will last longer, as in the case of der first fight, he is preparing himself to be always loaded with oxygen and therefore his stamina.

Manny should not always rely on his quickness, strength, and power. Stamina is of equally important. Accident do always happens during the time when you least expected it to happen. It's far better to be ready. Why not train also at higher elevations, like Mount Apo (hehehe joks walang Boxing Training Center doon). What I mean is let him follow wat Roach want him to be. Roach knows wat to do. There's a lot of mountainous places in California to match wat JMM is doing. Let him forget about distractions, like making a movie with Robin Padilla.

Pls. Robin, et. al., if its true you have a movie with Manny, don't pursue it now. Do it sometime in year 2006 when Manny is already a featherweight champion of the world (ibalato mo na 'to sa mga Filipino). Money making will just follow. And I promise to watch the movie. Not in a pirated VCD but on a wide screen, several times (how about that).

Hoping that Manny (Robin, et. al.) will read this item.

Congrats Pacman and good luck!

Caye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:53 pm 
Cruiserweight

muay thai wrote:

Pare, according to one news report (sorry I forgot the source), yes its true...
ABS-CBN can't do a milking on Manny's overseas purse that's why they have to do it now regardless of implications.

ABS-CBN is one big greedy station ******* Filipinos by its ready-made politicians and nonsensical TV programs. No wonder, Filipinos will still be licked even its very hope in PAC.

If Manny would lost to JMM in a rematch, there are only 2 reasons: billiards and ABS-CBN.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]