Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:53 pm 
Heavyweight

It was a very intense battle for superfeatherweight supremacy. Both fighters had their moments.

I saw the fight twice, on pay per view and on free tv, and I tried to score the fight as honestly and objectively as possible.

You know, I'm probably the biggest Pacquiao fan but I have to say that Pacquiao did not win that fight over Marquez. The only sure rounds he got were rounds 3, 4, and 9 (or was it 10). Most rounds were won by Marquez due to precision punching and perfect timing. Pacquiao, inspite of his handspeed, had a very hard time connecting in the entire fight.

That knockdown was great but it was only one knockdown and only good for a 10-8 round. Not enough to win an entire fight.

I think Pacquiao is definitely on a slide. His last great fight was against Morales 3. From Solis down to Barrera and now against Marquez, everything in his peformance has dipped. He always ends up fighting with only his guts and heart. In the near future that may not be enough. Or maybe the performance deficit is due to burnout since he almost spends all of his energy in training camp. I don't know. I think Manny should stop cramming his training in just an intense 7 to 8 weeks and concentrate to having a longer camp, say 3 months, and train with gradual intensity. So, he doesn't have to overburden his body by losing weight near fight time.

And please try not to label me as a JMM fanatic because I am not. I am one of the biggest PACMAN fans around. I'm just keeping it real.

But, well, a win is a win. So, congratulations Manny!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:00 pm 
Light Heavyweight

one of the few people who clearly paid attention to the fight,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Honestly? So, before this fight, you were not honest.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:03 pm 
Welterweight

Honestly and Officially, Pacman won the fight!

And that what counts!!! LOL

Maybe Marquez can fight Valero next time...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:05 pm 
Heavyweight

you got to make sure of your rounds first, you said 9 or 10, 9 is a close round, how can you make a thread with an incriminating title, without being sure of your 'rounds'.

that only means 'you are not sure' of your conclusion, or your lapses in distiguishing rounds deters your judgement on who won the rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:07 pm 
Featherweight

the thing i noticed was he became kinda slow and his not anymore the punching machine type of guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:08 pm 
Heavyweight

IF ITS ALL ABOUT HONESTY, THEN PACQUIAO SHOULD HAVE WON THE FIRST FIGHT ... BECAUSE ONE JUDGE SEEMED DISHONEST IN SCORING WHICH ENDED TO A DRAW.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:09 pm 
Flyweight

rbm115 wrote:
you got to make sure of your rounds first, you said 9 or 10, 9 is a close round, how can you make a thread with an incriminating title, without being sure of your 'rounds'.

that only means 'you are not sure' of your conclusion, or your lapses in distiguishing rounds deters your judgement on who won the rounds.

it was in round 10 that marquez staggered to the ropes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:11 pm 
Welterweight

theDon wrote:
It was a very intense battle for superfeatherweight supremacy. Both fighters had their moments.

I saw the fight twice, on pay per view and on free tv, and I tried to score the fight as honestly and objectively as possible.

You know, I'm probably the biggest Pacquiao fan but I have to say that Pacquiao did not win that fight over Marquez. The only sure rounds he got were rounds 3, 4, and 9 (or was it 10). Most rounds were won by Marquez due to precision punching and perfect timing. Pacquiao, inspite of his handspeed, had a very hard time connecting in the entire fight.

That knockdown was great but it was only one knockdown and only good for a 10-8 round. Not enough to win an entire fight.

I think Pacquiao is definitely on a slide. His last great fight was against Morales 3. From Solis down to Barrera and now against Marquez, everything in his peformance has dipped. He always ends up fighting with only his guts and heart. In the near future that may not be enough. Or maybe the performance deficit is due to burnout since he almost spends all of his energy in training camp. I don't know. I think Manny should stop cramming his training in just an intense 7 to 8 weeks and concentrate to having a longer camp, say 3 months, and train with gradual intensity. So, he doesn't have to overburden his body by losing weight near fight time.

And please try not to label me as a JMM fanatic because I am not. I am one of the biggest PACMAN fans around. I'm just keeping it real.

But, well, a win is a win. So, congratulations Manny!

THANK YOU! At least someone said it in a nice way, maybe now all of you will listen. 3, 4 and 10, he lost everything else.

1. Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto
2. Z Gorres
3. Joan Guzman
4. Yuriorkis Gamboa
5. Manny Pacquiao
6. Hozumi Hasegawa
7. Masato
8. Namsaknoi
9. Seanchai Sor Kingstar
10. Vitor Belfort

Light Heavyweight

I totally agree. I, too, didn't feel Pac won and in fact was bracing to hear the announcer mention Marquez's name. Even Pac was surprised and jumped for joy. Pac put in 100% in training for this fight and that's his BEST. He even went back to fighting one-handed again, with not "much improvement" on his right as many claimed. In the last round I was shocked to see Pacman out of steam as he was outgunned by Marquez. His showing is definitely a disappointment as everyone expectced him to walk all over Marquez and put him to sleep in the later rounds, but it was far from it.

David Diaz is one tough hombre and I have a feeling Pac might meet his end with him.

I breathed a big sigh of relief upon hearing his name as the NEW Jr Ltwt champion.

Cruiserweight

try watching the figt again if yer broke *** decided to tape it and see that pac was actually doing better than your feeble mind thought...marquez had some obvious punches but pac slipped some ones and two in there..... besides, the KD was etched into the judges minds as a deciding factor due to the fact that pac three KDs from the last match wa sa huge issue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:12 pm 
Welterweight

bryant wrote:
IF ITS ALL ABOUT HONESTY, THEN PACQUIAO SHOULD HAVE WON THE FIRST FIGHT ... BECAUSE ONE JUDGE SEEMED DISHONEST IN SCORING WHICH ENDED TO A DRAW.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:13 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I agree with the OP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:13 pm 
Middleweight

Its a close fight! And fighter like JMM does not deserve to win a close match, because all they do is wait for their opponent to engage. If not for MP the fight would not be a classic. MP could have just stand a wait for him to attack, but since MP would like to give the fans a good fight he decided to initiate the fight. Let's just admit JMM is ****** coward!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:14 pm 
Heavyweight

is this a joke thread?

so much detail, and yet no scoring done by the thread starter?

did you even bother to score it round by round?

did you have a pen and paper by your side?

- stephen jay gould

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next