Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:12 pm 
Welterweight

Quoted from Recah's Article:

Pacquiao was originally scheduled to leave Jan. 5 to again link up with trainer Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, but his wife felt the urgency for the world boxing celebrity to depart much earlier.

"I know his opponent, Manuel Marquez, has already been training hard," Nathanielsz quoted Mrs. Pacquiao as saying.

Pacquiao is slated for a rematch on Feb. 26 against Marquez, the WBA/IBF featherweight champ who salvaged a controversial split draw, after being downed three times, in their first fight in Las Vegas in May.

He hasn't stopped training

Meanwhile, Buboy Fernandez, Pacquiao's local trainer and childhood friend, denied reports that the Ring Magazine featherweight champ has stopped training since arriving in his hometown."I've been with Manny here in GenSan and he's been running," said Fernandez in Filipino. "He hasn't stopped with his light conditioning."

Fernandez noted that Pacquiao fully realizes the importance of his fight against Marquez.

"He's still in good shape and he'll be ready in time for the Marquez fight," Fernandez explained. "I don't know why some people are saying he's been taking it easy."

Fernandez also clarified that Pacquiao, who last Saturday crushed Thailand's Fahsan 3K Battery in four rounds in Taguig City, will begin training at the Wild Card Gym in the US on Jan. 5.

There had been concern among his handlers that Pacquiao may want to remain in GenSan until after his wife's birthday on Jan. 11.

Roach had originally wanted Pacquiao to leave for the US the day after Christmas.

"It's not true that we're leaving on Jan. 10," Fernandez said. "Our manager (Rod Nazario) and (American trainer) Freddie Roach know that we'll be there on Jan. 5."

Fernandez made that clarification before Mrs. Pacquiao bared her sentiments to Nathanielsz.

According to Fernandez, Pacquiao continues to heed Roach's advice to "stay disciplined" through the birthday celebration and Christmas.

Pacquiao was also expected to seal a negotiated deal with Murad Muhammad, his promoter in the US, through business manager Rod Nazario.

Big fights for big bucks

A win over Marquez would line up Pacquiao for fights expected to break past the P100-million peak.

However, the Mexican Marquez, described as a fitness freak, has already been training at an altitude of 10,000 feet in a bid to offset Pacquiao's tremendous edge in power.

Pacquiao is trying to develop a new weapon, the right cross, in preparation for Marquez.

Just as I've thought.. We have been putting in premature speculations against PAC not being serious in his training against JMM up to the point of branding him as losing his hunger of boxing..

I hope this would help alleviate the worries which most of us here has...

:toast:

AGAIN.. FAITH PEOPLE.. AM SURE MANNY WONT LET THE FILIPINOS DOWN. He knows how big his responsibility is and I believe he loves taking this task for more years to come..

:beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

I think we all know that Manny is doing some workouts but I think what Freddy is trying to say is that JMM is training even harder than the last time. So Manny needs to step it up a notch higher to match his. Conditioning is one of those things that you can't rush you have start start slow and steady and thats how you build it up. Freddy thinks Manny is still young so he needs to take advantage of that youth to keep developing him while he's still able to do it physically. Remaining as-is like the last they met doesn't sound like progress...

Of course we are all critical about Manny because we just care too much for him to lose. He's got too much at stake right now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:04 pm 
Cruiserweight

i think Manny has continuing the light training and don't party to much during the Holidays so not to gain to much weight is a good start, then begin his full training at Roach's Wild Card Gym by January 1st....

PAC does not have to match JMM's training, remember last time JMM have the same advatage in training...

Manny has just to take care of himself, continue his conditioning and don't over do the full time training so not to have the same injuries that he had during the first fight...

If he do this i think we will see a very fresh PAC going against JMM and there will be a lot of fireworks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:12 pm 
Welterweight

Right JOMAPAC. Manny doesn't need to match the number of hours and the amount of training that JMM currently is doing. All it takes is for him to maintain his weight and start the rigid training early January.

Before the first fight with JMM last year, I think Manny just overtrained himself causing a slight injury in his leg. This is not good for a boxer like Manny. As long as he can keep up the pace against JMM, the power of his right complemented by the blinding speed of his left will finish it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:44 pm 
Featherweight

tama lang naman...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:20 am 
Middleweight

Rembrandt wrote:

Just as I've thought.. We have been putting in premature speculations against PAC not being serious in his training against JMM up to the point of branding him as losing his hunger of boxing..

I hope this would help alleviate the worries which most of us here has...

:toast:

AGAIN.. FAITH PEOPLE.. AM SURE MANNY WONT LET THE FILIPINOS DOWN. He knows how big his responsibility is and I believe he loves taking this task for more years to come..

:beer:

bro, manny is doing only light training per buboy, whereas jmm is seriously training. THe best is that jinkee actually suggested to manny to leave early. I hope manny listens and leaves early ... there is no substitute for proper training and preparation. Let's wish and pray for manny's continued success.

one thing going for manny is his fanaticism when he begins training. He is a quick learner and gets in shape pretty quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:38 am 
Light Heavyweight

It's great that Jinkee is asking Manny to train early ... now that's what you call loving support. Way to go Jinkee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:01 am 
Light Heavyweight

Though I'm glad to know that Manny's running around a bit, I still wish he'd listen to his wife and head to LA early. Hopefully he's doing some sparring in addition to the running, because ring rust and off-timing is just as bad as a lack of stamina. Go Pac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:00 am 
Bantamweight

It's good if Manny Paquiao will go to US after christmas. Fredie Roach is waiting for him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:10 am 
Bantamweight

Yup, I agree with you all folks saying that Manny must go right after xmas. There are just to many distractions for him here. He must concentrate and prepare for JMM. If he wins he'll be the greatest filipino boxer there was ever been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:20 am 
Bantamweight

I think the rematch negotiation should be settled first. Otherwise, Manny will only training w/o an opponent and scheduled rematch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:11 am 
Flyweight

idol!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:54 am 
Heavyweight

When and where will Manny be training this time?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 am 
Nice dig bro! It's been almost 7 years when this post was created!

Does Pacquiao need really to train as early as possible in US now?