Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:54 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:16 pm 
Heavyweight

The fight was so close that it could go either way, or maybe even a draw. But in my scorecard i had it 114-113 for manny, honestly! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 pm 
Middleweight

he does'nt follow up his punches. he lacks speed. he's not the pacquiao he used to be. age has not been a factor for JMM instead he improved a lot like being the aggressor most of the rounds. i think JMM fought with his heart up to the last round. only a rematch can settle this issues so they should be working on it now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 pm 
Heavyweight

CallCenterVet wrote:
Honestly and Officially, Pacman won the fight!

And that what counts!!! LOL

Maybe Marquez can fight Valero next time...

Yes, you are right...

Congratulations to Manny for winning the fight!

This forum is the only way I can relay the message to Manny and the people close to him that he needs some tinkering in his arsenal. Pacman intends to invade the 135 lb. division (and higher) and fighters will be naturally bigger than him and will definitely hit harder.

If Manny gets tagged as often as he was tagged by Marquez, then he'd be in a whole lot of trouble.

As I've said in my above post, the reason for his performance deficit may be due to burnout. Remember he is already 29 years old. His body may not be able to handle the intensity that it's usually accustomed. I think he should have a longer camp next time so he can pace himself better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:24 pm 
Heavyweight

ineyeik wrote:
try watching the figt again if yer broke *** decided to tape it and see that pac was actually doing better than your feeble mind thought...marquez had some obvious punches but pac slipped some ones and two in there..... besides, the KD was etched into the judges minds as a deciding factor due to the fact that pac three KDs from the last match wa sa huge issue

So what if it was etched in the judges' minds. It was still a 10-8 round.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:26 pm 
Bantamweight

I admit I saw some improvements from Marquez but ONLY during the first 2 rounds but after he felt the real MP punch he was no longer impressive. I do believe manny can knock him out anytime if he wanted to, all I saw where opportunities for him to throw the power punches but he didn't I see him setting up his left but had little intentions of throwing it. Obviously it looked more like a fixed fight where he wanted it to last longer.

Commentators were saying to give credit to marquez,along with other people because despite pacmans power he lasted until 12,well for me he (marquez) wasn't impressive,he was still the weak boxer who casn't take pacman's REAL power. He was lucky that pacman didn't finish him when he had the chances. I was really pissed off by manny because he should have knocked him to shut him up,because I'm 100% sure that marquez will go bragging about being robbed and so on.

On a side note I raised my hand when I heard buffer said "..and NEW.." Come on I wouldn't bet on manny if I wasn't confident :P
and I do agree about sweet revenge against the draw decision on their last fight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:27 pm 
Featherweight

it was a very very close fight but as i said in the other thread this not an amateur fight... this is pro fight brothers. punch landed is not a big thing, dominating your opponent by overpowering him and by showing no effect whenever he got hit is the big thing in this game. Honestly, after watching the fight on sopcast, I scored it a draw but after watching it again on GMA, I had it 115-112 for the NEW CHAMP!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:29 pm 
Middleweight

IcHig0 wrote:
the thing i noticed was he became kinda slow and his not anymore the punching machine type of guy
He is still the fast pacquiao that we all know but his fight against JMM is like a mind game or chess game... because if he punch rapidly without a plan probably JMM will counter him again and again..... as we must admit that JMM is a great boxer also that MANNY should take it seriously.... :lol: :lol:

Last edited by alexchio9 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
Welterweight

Oh come on
how many times we have to depend this BS of MP not winning. with your great boxing knowledge you have made boxing the 2nd boring sports after cricket.

counter punching is not the style that boxing is intended to be. look at the great fights and its the KO that gives the DNA as what is boxing is. not counter punching and clean punches whick is boring.
tell me how many hard clean punches got JMM eats on the 157 to 172 landed punches. 15 points is no big deal as most of it are just jab to keep off MP from landing bombs after bombs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:31 pm 
Cruiserweight

theDon wrote:
ineyeik wrote:
try watching the figt again if yer broke *** decided to tape it and see that pac was actually doing better than your feeble mind thought...marquez had some obvious punches but pac slipped some ones and two in there..... besides, the KD was etched into the judges minds as a deciding factor due to the fact that pac three KDs from the last match wa sa huge issue

So what if it was etched in the judges' minds. It was still a 10-8 round.

.... nothing is that systematic..... were you one of the "happy ones" when pac got the draw in 04?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:32 pm 
Welterweight

t'was such a close contest. But I think JMM didn't do enough damage on Pac to erase the stigma the knockdown brought. He might have outpunched manny 4-5 but manny's blows were more telling. On skills, JMM may have a bit of advantage but not enough to outclass pacman. The Judges had it accurately. I'm a JMM fan too and I had it 114-113 for Manny...

next topic...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:33 pm 
Heavyweight

manny looks more of an entertainer...
he is not like in the morales fight that he is very focused and silent..
he looks like a roy jones jr with the "angas" of ali in him on this fight...
i already hate it when the tv showed manny in the dressing room smiling..
just like the first fight with jmm where he is reported telling jokes and doing funny things before actual fight..

he looks like an entertainer..he is doing that to let the people be entertained which is so bad...
its like an NBA game where players just entertain...unlike in international tournaments where players are so focused and has instincs in them...NBA games are just serious when their team is on the finals...

got my point..

im getting scared now that he is going to be pitted against david diaz...
i think even linares or gurrero will have a chance to edge pacman at this moment...

packy is on the downside....
he is sliding...tnx manny for giving pride to our country..
for all of you who also thinks manny is over,lets just try to accept the fact now..
before it hurts even more...

anyway,congrats to manny for winning jr lightwt...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 pm 
Lightweight

as good as the marquez brothers can be

i can see a pattern that whenever they lose a fight they always have
something to say about the officiating and never accepted that the other man is better...

RM vs Israel vasquez 2 = RM said that the fight was stopped too early
RM vs Israel vasquez 3 = RM said he didnt agree with the judges scoring

then...

JMM vs MP 1= JMM was claiming that he won the fight despite being KD 3x and the remaining rounds close
JMM vs MP 2= JMM was saying that he did not agree with the judging and he won the fight

Nacho have molded these two to be great in the ring but I think he forgot to teach them a lesson or two in sportsmanship and being gracious in defeat...

8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 pm 
Heavyweight

when manny fights, i always expect a knockout. or at least a performance so dominant, it ends as a tko.

when i watched it live at the cinema earlier, i was kind of dissapointed that he was fighting too cautiously (in my opinion at least) and i knew in my mind that he could lose a close decision. but never by more than a 3 point margin.

a lot of people inside the moviehouse were also disappointed.

and we all didn't have pens and papers with us.

when i watched it on GMA's replay, I had the luxury of pen and paper with me. being careful not to add up before the final bell, i went scoring round by round. and even gave JMM 2 close rounds which had him scoring more accurate punches but which also showed him getting staggered more by a lesser amount of punches from manny.

after the final bell, i had the impression that i have marquez winning by two rounds. but alas, when i added up the scores, 114-113 for manny.

it could have even been 115-112 if i weren't too concious about being biased.

so, thread starter. what reads on your scratch paper?

- stephen jay gould

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:41 pm 
Heavyweight

theDon wrote:
It was a very intense battle for superfeatherweight supremacy. Both fighters had their moments.

I saw the fight twice, on pay per view and on free tv, and I tried to score the fight as honestly and objectively as possible.

You know, I'm probably the biggest Pacquiao fan but I have to say that Pacquiao did not win that fight over Marquez. The only sure rounds he got were rounds 3, 4, and 9 (or was it 10). Most rounds were won by Marquez due to precision punching and perfect timing. Pacquiao, inspite of his handspeed, had a very hard time connecting in the entire fight.

That knockdown was great but it was only one knockdown and only good for a 10-8 round. Not enough to win an entire fight.

I think Pacquiao is definitely on a slide. His last great fight was against Morales 3. From Solis down to Barrera and now against Marquez, everything in his peformance has dipped. He always ends up fighting with only his guts and heart. In the near future that may not be enough. Or maybe the performance deficit is due to burnout since he almost spends all of his energy in training camp. I don't know. I think Manny should stop cramming his training in just an intense 7 to 8 weeks and concentrate to having a longer camp, say 3 months, and train with gradual intensity. So, he doesn't have to overburden his body by losing weight near fight time.

And please try not to label me as a JMM fanatic because I am not. I am one of the biggest PACMAN fans around. I'm just keeping it real.

But, well, a win is a win. So, congratulations Manny!

You are probably disappointed you are waiting for a knock-out that did not happen. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:43 pm 
Welterweight

While we might say Pacquiao did not win that fight on the bases of their exchanges, it was a very close fight and awarding that fight to Marquez would even be more controversial because he got knocked down and badly hurt that he couldn't even find his corner. A Pacquaio victory may be controversial but a Marquez victory would even create more controversy. Officially Pacquio won but maybe they can share the victory unofficially since that was so great a fight and they both earn respect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next