Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:44 pm 
Bantamweight

Counter puncher..intelligent fighter is what they call marquez. In my opinion I call these things "in other words" SCARED (and weak). I agree about boxing not being that way. What brings out the excitement in a fight is not the strategical style but more on the brawler. I saw the same durong the opening fight between a thailander a scaredy mexican who uses the ring to his advantage.

Marquez has no right to brag about this fight. If given a chance I would tell him that he was lucky he only suffered that pain instead of a KO. If he really wants to win then he should go for a KO and not a strategic fight but sadly he doesn't have it in him tsk tsk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:46 pm 
Heavyweight

toy_bulldog wrote:
when manny fights, i always expect a knockout. or at least a performance so dominant, it ends as a tko.

when i watched it live at the cinema earlier, i was kind of dissapointed that he was fighting too cautiously (in my opinion at least) and i knew in my mind that he could lose a close decision. but never by more than a 3 point margin.

a lot of people inside the moviehouse were also disappointed.

and we all didn't have pens and papers with us.

when i watched it on GMA's replay, I had the luxury of pen and paper with me. being careful not to add up before the final bell, i went scoring round by round. and even gave JMM 2 close rounds which had him scoring more accurate punches but which also showed him getting staggered more by a lesser amount of punches from manny.

after the final bell, i had the impression that i have marquez winning by two rounds. but alas, when i added up the scores, 114-113 for manny.

it could have even been 115-112 if i weren't too concious about being biased.

so, thread starter. what reads on your scratch paper?

You said it right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:52 pm 
Featherweight

theDon wrote:
It was a very intense battle for superfeatherweight supremacy. Both fighters had their moments.

I saw the fight twice, on pay per view and on free tv, and I tried to score the fight as honestly and objectively as possible.

You know, I'm probably the biggest Pacquiao fan but I have to say that Pacquiao did not win that fight over Marquez. The only sure rounds he got were rounds 3, 4, and 9 (or was it 10). Most rounds were won by Marquez due to precision punching and perfect timing. Pacquiao, inspite of his handspeed, had a very hard time connecting in the entire fight.

That knockdown was great but it was only one knockdown and only good for a 10-8 round. Not enough to win an entire fight.

I think Pacquiao is definitely on a slide. His last great fight was against Morales 3. From Solis down to Barrera and now against Marquez, everything in his peformance has dipped. He always ends up fighting with only his guts and heart. In the near future that may not be enough. Or maybe the performance deficit is due to burnout since he almost spends all of his energy in training camp. I don't know. I think Manny should stop cramming his training in just an intense 7 to 8 weeks and concentrate to having a longer camp, say 3 months, and train with gradual intensity. So, he doesn't have to overburden his body by losing weight near fight time.

And please try not to label me as a JMM fanatic because I am not. I am one of the biggest PACMAN fans around. I'm just keeping it real.

But, well, a win is a win. So, congratulations Manny!

Watch the bout twicebut yewt unsure on what rd.. pacquiao dominates..... rd 10 dude ... but anyway please watch rd 7, and 11 again.. Pacquiao does does dominate this rd...

Clear rd for Marquez is 2,5, and 8 .. other rds are close depending of what you like.. an aggressive fighter or a counter puncher...

You can even have rd 9-12 to pacquaio as Marquez was just contented protecting his lead and not being aggressive... also in that closing rds.. Marquez punches has already no power...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 pm 
Cruiserweight

Honestly youre alittle bet confuse in some rounds PROMISE!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:57 pm 
Light Heavyweight

killya wrote:
t'was such a close contest. But I think JMM didn't do enough damage on Pac to erase the stigma the knockdown brought. He might have outpunched manny 4-5 but manny's blows were more telling. On skills, JMM may have a bit of advantage but not enough to outclass pacman. The Judges had it accurately. I'm a JMM fan too and I had it 114-113 for Manny...

next topic...

Good thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 pm 

Here's something worthwhile to ponder, Bob Arum's exact words to Nacho Beristain written by a boxing
writer. This sums it all up:

Sour Grapes

I really hate to say what I'm about to say, because I so truly respect and enjoy the two fighters,
and I have a great amount of respect for the abilities of Nacho Beristain.

There is not a bigger trio of whiners in boxing right now than the Marquez brothers and Beristain.

It's not that I think they don't have a right to say, "You know what? I think I won that fight." It's
Beristain and Co.'s eyeroll-worthy claims that there is some vast conspiracy by the WBC against
the Marquez brothers and their trainer.

After wanting to protest calls made against Rafael Marquez two weeks ago -- right calls, by the
way -- Beristain called the judging of Marquez-Pacquiao "a disgrace", and has gotten so annoying
that even Bob Arum, king of the crybabies, has called down the thunder on the situation.

"Stop with that bullshit because you're f*cking up the sport," Arum shouted. "There's nothing wrong
with boxing. The judges aren't f*cking up the sport. You are with those kinds of comments.

"One judge had it for Marquez. One had it the other way for Pacquiao. And another judge had it close
for Pacquiao, one point. The media was all over the place, some for one guy and some for the other.
Grow up and be a man and accept the judges' decision. I know now how stupid I looked all those times
when I complained about the decision when I listen to you."

http://www.badlefthook.com/story/2008/3/16/463/75851

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Pac won rounds 1,3,4,9,10, and 11.....plus an extra point for the knockdown. 114-113.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:07 pm 
Cruiserweight

observer wrote:
Here's something worthwhile to ponder, Bob Arum's exact words to Nacho Beristain written by a boxing
writer. This sums it all up:

Sour Grapes

I really hate to say what I'm about to say, because I so truly respect and enjoy the two fighters,
and I have a great amount of respect for the abilities of Nacho Beristain.

There is not a bigger trio of whiners in boxing right now than the Marquez brothers and Beristain.

It's not that I think they don't have a right to say, "You know what? I think I won that fight." It's
Beristain and Co.'s eyeroll-worthy claims that there is some vast conspiracy by the WBC against
the Marquez brothers and their trainer.

After wanting to protest calls made against Rafael Marquez two weeks ago -- right calls, by the
way -- Beristain called the judging of Marquez-Pacquiao "a disgrace", and has gotten so annoying
that even Bob Arum, king of the crybabies, has called down the thunder on the situation.

"Stop with that bullshit because you're f*cking up the sport," Arum shouted. "There's nothing wrong
with boxing. The judges aren't f*cking up the sport. You are with those kinds of comments.

"One judge had it for Marquez. One had it the other way for Pacquiao. And another judge had it close
for Pacquiao, one point. The media was all over the place, some for one guy and some for the other.
Grow up and be a man and accept the judges' decision. I know now how stupid I looked all those times
when I complained about the decision when I listen to you."

http://www.badlefthook.com/story/2008/3/16/463/75851

co-sign..... he's one of the best trainers in the world, but he's one pompous jackass forreal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:16 pm 
Welterweight

jmm was going to kiss the canvas 3 times... and true... jmm was "throwing" a lot of punches.. but are all those punches hit?? no.. some blocked and some dont, pacman threw less punches, but marquez was eating most of it.. and ohhh that includes the kd,

In diz day n age of mediocrity Ders 2 types of rappers dat u'll recognize n hear But I prefer da ones wid da lyrics of da year Than da gimmick wid da gear and da ryt puppeteer Now you can be da next Rakim Shakespear
=J-Live=

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:21 pm 
Cruiserweight

in quinito hensons score card manny won and i believe so! dude!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:26 pm 
Featherweight

You can review the tapes if you like.. I have all of them...

Tingnan niyo na lang tong rd 3 KO..

http://www.youtube.com/v/GBPrS9f0eSs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:36 pm 
Light Heavyweight

theDon wrote:
It was a very intense battle for superfeatherweight supremacy. Both fighters had their moments.

I saw the fight twice, on pay per view and on free tv, and I tried to score the fight as honestly and objectively as possible.

You know, I'm probably the biggest Pacquiao fan but I have to say that Pacquiao did not win that fight over Marquez. The only sure rounds he got were rounds 3, 4, and 9 (or was it 10). Most rounds were won by Marquez due to precision punching and perfect timing. Pacquiao, inspite of his handspeed, had a very hard time connecting in the entire fight.

That knockdown was great but it was only one knockdown and only good for a 10-8 round. Not enough to win an entire fight.

I think Pacquiao is definitely on a slide. His last great fight was against Morales 3. From Solis down to Barrera and now against Marquez, everything in his peformance has dipped. He always ends up fighting with only his guts and heart. In the near future that may not be enough. Or maybe the performance deficit is due to burnout since he almost spends all of his energy in training camp. I don't know. I think Manny should stop cramming his training in just an intense 7 to 8 weeks and concentrate to having a longer camp, say 3 months, and train with gradual intensity. So, he doesn't have to overburden his body by losing weight near fight time.

And please try not to label me as a JMM fanatic because I am not. I am one of the biggest PACMAN fans around. I'm just keeping it real.

But, well, a win is a win. So, congratulations Manny!

try to review the whole fight with an open eyes and you\ll see that mp clearly won the rematch...

1 Cor 1:26-28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:40 pm 
Welterweight

so many rounds were too close to call. The scoring could have gone either way. BUT it was a good choice to give it to pac.

debatable rounds were 1, 7, 11. I gave pac 1 and 7, marquez 11.

pac won round 1, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10
marquez won 2, 5, 6, 8, 11, 12

Pac wins 114-113 . The KD was the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:41 pm 
Middleweight

But, Marquez still won/draw the first fight honestly????? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:44 pm 
Heavyweight

ed balcos wrote:
The fight was so close that it could go either way, or maybe even a draw. But in my scorecard i had it 114-113 for manny, honestly! :D

ilang forumers na rin pala ang kagaya ng score ko sa bout...

trans: YEHEY!!!!! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next